New Flesh eating bug spreading in UK [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Flesh eating bug spreading in UK

Bilbo Bagins
02-02-2012, 12:04
I love the name for it, USA300. Anyway its can spread by touch, or sneeze/cough, its anitbotic resistant and it can kill you if you catch it.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/889131-flesh-eating-bug-spread-by-sneezes-and-coughs

jdavionic
02-02-2012, 19:08
Sounds pleasant. I am ignorant about meds, but I just wonder how many of these types of resilient strains evolve due to the misuse of antibiotics.

lawman800
02-03-2012, 08:39
Quarantine on flights coming in from the UK!

Bilbo Bagins
02-03-2012, 09:54
Sounds pleasant. I am ignorant about meds, but I just wonder how many of these types of resilient strains evolve due to the misuse of antibiotics.

A crapload. I can't tell you how many people I know who have not finished a complete course of antibotics, or who think popping an antibotic for something like a cold or virus will help.

cowboy1964
02-03-2012, 10:32
Quarantine on flights coming in from the UK!

Uh, it's already here in the U.S. In fact it was first reported here.

lawman800
02-03-2012, 20:33
Okay, nevermind.

Sam Spade
02-04-2012, 02:06
Another flavor of MRSA.

id1otbox
02-04-2012, 02:38
With the fear mongering decription in that article I would think all of Manhattan would be dying from this bacteria infection. What am I missing that there are no reports of millions dying? If it is so infectious and widespread in America why is this the first I have heard of this. For some reason I don't think I need to worry about contracting it in the mall tomorrow on my day off. Ya know, I haven't gotten it the last million times I was in a public setting.

Deployment Solu
02-04-2012, 05:39
Beginning of the Zombie Apocalypse????

Sam Spade
02-04-2012, 11:50
With the fear mongering decription in that article I would think all of Manhattan would be dying from this bacteria infection. What am I missing that there are no reports of millions dying? If it is so infectious and widespread in America why is this the first I have heard of this. For some reason I don't think I need to worry about contracting it in the mall tomorrow on my day off. Ya know, I haven't gotten it the last million times I was in a public setting.

It usually doesn't kill. And you may very well have it without showing symptoms: one report I read said about 20% of the population are carriers. As long as your immune system is up, no big deal.

It is a big worry in hospital settings, where lowered resistance is common, and in jails or shelters where people are crammed close together.

id1otbox
02-04-2012, 13:44
It usually doesn't kill. And you may very well have it without showing symptoms: one report I read said about 20% of the population are carriers. As long as your immune system is up, no big deal.

It is a big worry in hospital settings, where lowered resistance is common, and in jails or shelters where people are crammed close together.

Thanks for the education but in all honesty I work in health care and know about this. My response was mainly at the verbiage of the article creating a lot of fear but leaving out the facts. Something that intellectuals often do to influence the stupid public.

F350
02-04-2012, 14:37
My wife pick up a low level antibiotic resistant staph infection on her face while in the hospital undergoing breast cancer treatment, and due to an inhibited immune system from chemo and radiation she has not been able to get rid of it. She has small raw patches on her chin, nose and cheeks that she can beat back some but always come back.

Recently in some internet searches I found you can get topical ointments containing 10-30 ppm of silver, silver has long been known to have antibacterial properties and is used in bandages for extensive burns, water purification etc. I ordered some 24 ppm gel (couldn't find 30 ppm) and while the final verdict is not in yet it is showing real promise, the raw patches are as reduced as I have ever seen and she just may be on the verge of getting rid of it!

Just in case anyone is interested...

http://www.silversolutionusa.com/asap-silver-sol-silver-gel-patented-4-oz-silver-gel-asap-skin-and-body-24ppm/

Carry16
02-04-2012, 15:19
Sorry to hear of your wife's experience, and my best wishes for a quick recovery from her current problem - my wife had breast cancer in 2011.

I am not in the medical field.

You should be able to get silver sulfadiazine with a prescrition from your doctor. That is often used to treat burns. FWIW

My wi7

fe pick up a low level antibiotic resistant staph infection on her face while in the hospital undergoing breast cancer treatment, and due to an inhibited immune system from chemo and radiation she has not been able to get rid of it. She has small raw patches on her chin, nose and cheeks that she can beat back some but always come back.

Recently in some internet searches I found you can get topical ointments containing 10-30 ppm of silver, silver has long been known to have antibacterial properties and is used in bandages for extensive burns, water purification etc. I ordered some 24 ppm gel (couldn't find 30 ppm) and while the final verdict is not in yet it is showing real promise, the raw patches are as reduced as I have ever seen and she just may be on the verge of getting rid of it!

Just in case anyone is interested...

http://www.silversolutionusa.com/asap-silver-sol-silver-gel-patented-4-oz-silver-gel-asap-skin-and-body-24ppm/

id1otbox
02-04-2012, 15:36
You can ingest colloidal silver water which many believe to have great benefits. Apparently silver colloid acts as a co-enzyme to an enzyme used in the respiration process of many harmful bacteria.

Texas357
02-05-2012, 15:24
Another flavor of MRSA.

This.

All drug-resistant strains are bad, this is just another example of why.

RatDrall
02-06-2012, 05:20
You can ingest colloidal silver water which many believe to have great benefits. Apparently silver colloid acts as a co-enzyme to an enzyme used in the respiration process of many harmful bacteria.

Be careful advising stuff like this. Some colloidal silver *might* be safe to drink, others can lead to heavy metal poisoning. There is a Senator out West whose skin is gray from too much silver. Some CS is for external use only.

kirgi08
02-06-2012, 09:13
Knowledge is key in ALL preps.'08. :headscratch: