CCW Equipment [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW Equipment

silveraider
02-02-2012, 14:00
Hello All,

I will be getting my carry weapon within a month (g26) and would like to start ordering the neccessary accesories now. I am looking for suggestions/advice on a belt. I like black leather with a silver or black buckle. The nylon interests me also though.
Who makes a horizontal mag holder that will fit on a belt? Either leather or kydex would be fine. I will probably use a g19 mag as my reload so it would need to fit the longer magazine. I will be using a crossbreed style holster for my g26. I have not 100% decided on what holster yet only the style.

I think that is about it. Any links would be greatly appreciated as well as personal experience stories.

Thanks

xmanhockey7
02-02-2012, 14:06
Why not use a G17 mag as a reload?

hallnh727
02-02-2012, 14:21
For leather I have always read good reviews on the Beltman belts.
http://thebeltman.net/index.htm

I personal use a nylon belt. I use the Wilderness Tactical Instructor belt with the 5 stitch
http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=product&id=2309&parent=142

cowboy1964
02-02-2012, 14:29
Safariland 123 is a great horiz. mag pouch. The Glock 19-sized one (the smaller one) fits every magazine I have. I would get the larger one though if anyone has fat .45 ACP Glock mags. Around $20 or so (OpticsPlanet has them).

http://www.cobratactical.com/assets/images/safariland/pouches/Safariland_123.jpg

EDCholsters
02-02-2012, 14:35
I have had great success with Wilderness Tactical.
The 5 stitch instructor is a heck of a belt for the price, they have great CS as well.
Horizontal mag carry is possible with Glock mags in kydex.

As far as holsters go, you may find yourself running different rigs to fill different roles.
Try as many options as you can, and find what fits best for your daily situations.
The closest all around option in my (bias) opinion is a modular kydex rig, with both OWB and IWB clips.

GL in your search :wavey:

KiloBravo
02-02-2012, 14:41
My personal preference for EDC use is a tightly formed kydex holster and mag carrier. I prefer a nylon belt, due to the wide range of adjust-ability depending on gun and pants size that you already might own.

I have had leather belts as well, but could never find one with the holes in the right spot for me. They were either too long and ran out of adjustment, or I had to crank them down so tight that they gave me severe back pain, and I am not a fatty either. I have used several different "instructor" style nylon rigs. My last one was a 1.75" Blackhawk belt with internal kydex stiffener. I just picked up a new Cabela's brand belt this past weekend. It is double nylon thickness where the gear rides, 1.5" wide, and there is no internal stiffener in this one. Both work outstanding.

I currently use a double or single Blackhawk mag carrier in conjunction with my G17. I use a Crown IWB holster that will accommodate an attached TLR-1 weapon light.

I have some nice leather holsters and carriers for my 1911s. Leather seems to break in more easily than kydex and forms to your body a little better.

Good luck with your decision!

MadMonkey
02-02-2012, 14:52
I use a 5.11 adjustable nylon belt and a 5.11 leather gun belt. Both are great and a HUGE step up from an average dress belt.

firefighter4215
02-02-2012, 14:57
I use a 5.11 adjustable nylon belt and a 5.11 leather gun belt. Both are great and a HUGE step up from an average dress belt.

Me too. The 5.11 leather belt isn't too bad, but the finish hasn't been all that durable for me. The nylon belt is the most comfortable carry belt I own. Unlike my Beltman belt, the nylon belt is always the perfect size. The Beltman belt is one heck of a belt though.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

tuica
02-02-2012, 14:58
I use both leather (Tennessee Holster Co.), and syn (Wilderness Tac.) belts. But please give the Glock Sport/Combat holster a try. You will be surprised how good a $15 holster can be! Good Luck.

silveraider
02-02-2012, 18:50
Thanks for all the replies! I like the g19 mag versus the g17 mag because it is a little shorter for carrying and I think will provide better balance when in the gun.

I keep seeing the 5.11 nylon belt mentioned in other threads. I will have to give that a try. anyone know who has the best price? any other nylon belts to recommend?

I am going IWB for a holster so the glock sport holster is out. But i will get one for range use/any comp use. Hard to beat the price on that.

Any suggestions for a maker of a horizontal kydex mag holder?

bchand01
02-02-2012, 18:54
Ares gear, jones tactical, or wilderness are the way to go for the belt. Holster IWB I would say Raven ACR( appendix carry rig) or Dale Fricke Archangel holster. Crossbreed and Comptacs are nice too for 3-430 carry.

ChrisFB
02-09-2012, 23:17
I primarily carry a G26. I use the 10rnd mag with a GAP Floorplate. The Floorplate provides a very firm and consistent draw for me. Not essential but worth my money no question.

IWB I use an MTAC similar to Crossbreed. I use Velcro clips and take some industrial Velcro (the adhesive) and line the inside of all my belts. Very easy and super concealable if I have to go tucked which is an option I like. I have the slide model which accommodates all the basic Glocks in 9mm and similar calibers so I can also carry my 17 when I feel like it.

I'd also recommend and OWB holster too. Very comfy. Glock Sport Combat is cheap and very concealable especially if you put the belt on the outside of the holster.

I use a number of belts including dress belts but all of mine are at least somewhat stout. The 26 just isn't a super heavy weapon. I do like my Wilderness 5 stitch instructor's belt, solid and affordable.

I have both the 26 and 17 so all my spare mags are 17s. I had some 15s before but removed them outside of one with a grip sleeve in case I want to extend the 26 to a 19 grip and capacity. Never do it though as the whole point of the 26 is the short grip and honestly the G19 is close enough to the 17 that if I'm not caring about weight or grip length I'll just carry that. For a spare mag it's a 17 mag for obvious reasons. There is no balance issue vs the 15rnd mags so don't let it concern you but in the end it doesn't really matter unless you own one of the other guns.

Night sight are important. I have Heinie's on mine with straight 8 configuration. Slant pro on the 26 and ledge on the 17.

Maybe something there helps you.

ssharber
02-10-2012, 01:46
I just received my Beltman belt. It is absolutely the best belt Ive ever owned, and that includes ones made by High Noon and Galco. He makes them out of Bullhide which is extremely tough and stiff. This belt feels like someone is standing beside me pushing my holstered gun into my side. I absolutely love it.

Bill Lumberg
02-10-2012, 07:10
Is bullhide notably different from cowhide? If so, is this because the cows moisturize more frequently? Discuss.

EAJuggalo
02-10-2012, 07:45
My preference for a belt is the Kydex reinforced belt from Looper Leather. I've had mine for 5-6 years and it still looks and functions like it did when it was brand new.

hamster
02-10-2012, 07:49
Safariland 123 is a great horiz. mag pouch. The Glock 19-sized one (the smaller one) fits every magazine I have. I would get the larger one though if anyone has fat .45 ACP Glock mags. Around $20 or so (OpticsPlanet has them).

http://www.cobratactical.com/assets/images/safariland/pouches/Safariland_123.jpg

I actually just got this model of mag carrier and am getting ready to return it.

2 problems I've found:

1. When on my wilderness tactical belt, the damn thing will slide around if I try to pull out the spare mag. If you don't have a belt loop in just the right place, this thing will slide as soon as you tug on the mag.

2. It isn't too hot for shorter mags. Even my G23 mag seems to cause an issue, since the belt-securing flap covers the majority of the velcro, there is no way to tighten the magazine flap because there is no more exposed velcro. They really need to have additional velcro on top of the belt flap bit.

If anyone has any good alternatives to this rig, I'd appreciate hearing about it.