Differences in Glock 23 magazines [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Differences in Glock 23 magazines

maddy345
02-02-2012, 18:06
What is the difference between the Glock 1 & 2 magazines?

Birddog9
02-02-2012, 18:19
Well they have different followers, and the 2 has the double notch for the ambi mag release on the gen 4. Other than that I've heard maybe the tubes thickness may be different? But not sure about that part.

brand
02-02-2012, 19:26
What is the difference between the Glock 1 & 2 magazines?

The 1st generation Glock magazines were not fully metal lined and the 2nd generation Glock magazines were fully metal lined.

Three Generations of Glock Magazines (http://www.glockmeister.com/3GenerationsofGlockMagazines.asp)

Well they have different followers, and the 2 has the double notch for the ambi mag release on the gen 4.

Actually that that would be the 4th generation Glock magazines that have a notch on each side for ambidextrous magazine release.

Birddog9
02-02-2012, 20:45
Oh, well i thought he was referring to the number 1 and 2 at the bottom of the mags. My gen 4 has numbered 2 mags.

voyager4520
02-03-2012, 12:32
There are three/four types of ambi-cut .40 magazines.

1. No number next to the Glock logo, the plastic protrusions at the front of each feed lip were slim and reached deeper into the magazine tube.
2. "1" next to the Glock logo, the only difference I can see is the plastic protrusions at the front of each feed lip, they were made wider and don't reach as deep into the tube. These protrusions may need to be shaved back because they may rub against the top round as it rises, slowing its rise and causing a failure to feed.
3. "2" next to the Glock logo, with #8 followers. The inner dimensions of the tube are slightly tighter, no change in the plastic protrusions.
4. "2" next to the Glock logo, with #9 followers. Apparently this is about the time Glock became aware of the problem with the plastic protrusions because they're shaved back after manufacture. Also, at the very top of the tube where the corner of the part of the #9 follower that engages the slide stop, the plastic in that area of the tube is shaved back to make room for the wider part of the #9 follower. These magazines also have the dual-cut for the Gen4 magazine catch.

Every 22-round .40 magazine I've ever seen matches the "4." description in the list above. Some people reported that tubes matching the "3." description came with #9 followers and some of them had failure to feed and failure of the slide to lock back, I've never seen one so I can't confirm it.

The "old side view" is a side view of the plastic protrusions you'd see in a "no number" tube. The "new side view" is the side view of the protrusions you'd see in a "1" or "2" tube that came with #8 followers.
http://i51.tinypic.com/2a649he.jpg

I personally had failures to feed with a G23 magazine that had a "1" next to the Glock logo and another G23 magazine with a "2" next to the Glock logo, both had #8 followers and the plastic protrusions at the front of each feed lip had not been shaved back. I had to shave them back until the magazines fed properly. I've never had a single problem with a magazine that came with a #9 follower, all of the ones I have already had the protrusions shaved back when I bought them new.

If you put a #9 follower in a tube that originally came with followers #6 through #8, you may see the #9 follower fail to rise fully in the tube because the part that engages the slide stop is wider. Magazines that originally came with #9 followers have the plastic in that area of the top of the tube shaved back to make room for the wider part of the #9 follower. If you put #9 followers into an older tube as mentioned above and you notice failure of the slide to lock back on the last round, take the magazine apart and look at the corner of the part of the follower that engages the slide stop, you'll see a rub mark develop there and you can shave it down until the follower rises properly in the top of the tube.
http://i43.tinypic.com/szk3lt.jpg

MK34_Techrep
05-29-2012, 14:10
Oh, well i thought he was referring to the number 1 and 2 at the bottom of
the mags. My gen 4 has numbered 2 mags.

I am talking about the 1 & 2 at the bottom of the mag next to the glock logo. The #1 mags if you look , the holes are straight across and the #2 mags have the holes at a slight angle...just wondering ..did not mean to cause any confusion.....

rosco9
08-22-2012, 18:40
voyager .. it sounds like you may be able to lend some help ... ... i have a bunch of pre ban (full metal/square back notch/drop free) mags all with #4 or #5 followers that function great. i also have 1 pre ban G23 mag with a #8 follower and i have failure to feed trouble ...

1. could the trouble be the #8 follower in the old/preban mag ???
2. any guesses where i could get some #4 or #5 followers??

thanks for the help!

tonyparson
08-22-2012, 18:45
voyager .. it sounds like you may be able to lend some help ... ... i have a bunch of pre ban (full metal/square back notch/drop free) mags all with #4 or #5 followers that function great. i also have 1 pre ban G23 mag with a #8 follower and i have failure to feed trouble ...

1. could the trouble be the #8 follower in the old/preban mag ???
2. any guesses where i could get some #4 or #5 followers??

thanks for the help!

You can get number 5 followers here.
http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/359_Followers/7136_Glock+Mag+Follower+.40S%26amp%3BW/?return=%3ftpl%3Dindex%26category_id%3D359%26_Followers%2F

rosco9
08-22-2012, 18:46
Thanks Tony!

Backfire_Tx
09-01-2012, 09:19
Voyager...

I have a glock 23 40 cal. It has no problem with FMJ lawman 165's hundreds pump through the gun, but when i started to use Gold Dot 165's it Failure to feeds (FTF) a lot. The shape of the 165's must initiate FTF. I have mags that have 2 and follower of 9's again fmj's are no problem. Are you saying that i should shave the plastic protrusions on the mag? I am very frustrated with this problem, and close to sending gun back to glock. Its got about 1000 rounds through it. I Just started shooting expensive SD ammo in it. Gold Dot 165's - lots of LE use these. It should work. Can extractor cause this issue? The effect is round is kind of twisted and gets stuck prior to feed ramp. Your thoughts are appreciated.

ThinkMud
09-01-2012, 09:28
Interesting. I'll have to check all my 23 mags now.

Backfire_Tx
09-01-2012, 10:58
Interesting. I'll have to check all my 23 mags now.
Gold Dot 165's in a glock 23? Check the mag ID's #2 and the follower #9? I would like to know as well. I am trying to figure out what is the deal.

AK47Man
11-04-2012, 13:26
What is the "Nub Issue"? First time I have read about this..Thanks..

SJ 40
11-04-2012, 13:39
What is the "Nub Issue"? First time I have read about this..Thanks..The pictures in post # 5 by Voyager show the nubs,circled in red. They are to me where the plastic flowed out from the metal liner,they can be trimmed away.

Supposedly Glock has updated the 40 magazines,I haven't been able to locate any of the updated mags to verify this. All I have been able to find are the offending magazines,this affected the G 27, G 23 and G 22 magazines.

I suspect this will remain a problem for some time as with out recalling the offending magazines,Glock updates things.
There will remain many bad magazines in distributors shelfs,dealers shelfs and unsold guns for some time to come.
SJ 40

ALL GLOCK
11-04-2012, 20:43
Tagged for future reference

PattonT
11-20-2012, 10:13
Thanks for all the input, all my ambi magazines have #9 followers. Some of these have "1" and some have "2". I have not experienced any failures. I can not notice a difference in any of the magazines. If I'm reading correctly all the newer magazines willwee fixed with #9 followers?
Edit: My "1" magazines are all G22 magazines so it may not apply to them anyway.

pizza_pablo
01-19-2013, 10:40
Tagged, for use, when I receive the new mags, I ordered......

gooffeyguy
01-19-2013, 13:32
Good info, but what about the followers that have 1028 on them? My original mags that came with my Gen2 G23 (~'92/93 era) have the number 2828 (might be 6's instead of 8's, hard to tell) above the Glock logo on the back and followers with 1028.

I do notice that the bullet nose is angled a bit higher on my newer gen2 #2 with #9 follower mags when compared to my older mags. I think this might help getting them up the feed ramp and into the chamber easier.

EDIT: Oop's, never mind. I see we are only talking about the newer, current production gen4 mags with 1 or 2 stamps, not gen1 or 2 mags