Whats "good enough" shooting for SD? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Whats "good enough" shooting for SD?

cfr
02-02-2012, 20:46
Greetings. I posted this in the General section, and it was recommended to repost here.

What would you consider "good enough" shooting for realistic SD? All 10 rings @ 7 yards? Need to be moving while shooting? Be able to double tap the same hole one handed, while standing on one foot, while doing the chicken dance? etc

More specifically, how good should double taps be? At what range?

I know this is very subjective, but am would like opinions just the same.

Thanks!

Mas Ayoob
02-03-2012, 06:59
The answers are nebulous. We all want to be as fast and as accurate as we possibly can, and should all strive for greater speed and accuracy. It is human nature that as soon as we convince ourself, "Ah, I'm good enough now," we begin to stagnate.

For "good enough" in the sense of a qualification course, the standard at Gunsite at 7 yards has long been two hits in 1.5 seconds, starting with the hand clear of the holstered weapon at the start signal. Typical target is an IPSC silhouette, with a center "A-zone" that's about 6" wide by 11" high. For a more demanding standard, trace your fist in the upper center of that zone, and aim for that outline: it'll be roughly the size of a human heart.

best,
Mas

cfr
02-05-2012, 15:15
The answers are nebulous. We all want to be as fast and as accurate as we possibly can, and should all strive for greater speed and accuracy. It is human nature that as soon as we convince ourself, "Ah, I'm good enough now," we begin to stagnate.

For "good enough" in the sense of a qualification course, the standard at Gunsite at 7 yards has long been two hits in 1.5 seconds, starting with the hand clear of the holstered weapon at the start signal. Typical target is an IPSC silhouette, with a center "A-zone" that's about 6" wide by 11" high. For a more demanding standard, trace your fist in the upper center of that zone, and aim for that outline: it'll be roughly the size of a human heart.

best,
Mas

Awesome, thanks!