Best way to lighten a Glock trigger [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best way to lighten a Glock trigger

3000fps
02-03-2012, 12:23
I've been considering lightening up the trigger on my carry gun G23.

Does anyone have a modified trigger on their glock carry guns? I would love to have a light trigger on the gun, but from what I read online the Ghost 3.5 doesn't really get the pull weight down to 3.5 as you would have to change the springs.

Is it safe to do this for concealed carry? I mean, it won't mess with any of the internal safeties in the gun so it is still drop safe etc.

I was all about getting a 1911 because of the trigger pull, it allows me to be much more accurate. I'm considering now just buying a polymer .45 adding a nice barrel and a nice trigger for around the same price with the Glock reliability and wear resistance.

Bill Lumberg
02-03-2012, 12:47
Nope. Shoot it and lube it properly and you're good to go. I've been considering lightening up the trigger on my carry gun G23.

Does anyone have a modified trigger on their glock carry guns? I would love to have a light trigger on the gun, but from what I read online the Ghost 3.5 doesn't really get the pull weight down to 3.5 as you would have to change the springs.

Is it safe to do this for concealed carry? I mean, it won't mess with any of the internal safeties in the gun so it is still drop safe etc.

I was all about getting a 1911 because of the trigger pull, it allows me to be much more accurate. I'm considering now just buying a polymer .45 adding a nice barrel and a nice trigger for around the same price with the Glock reliability and wear resistance.

DannyII
02-03-2012, 13:16
IMHO - Safe, yes. Smart, NO!

Lighter trigger = increased courtroom liability should you ever have to use in SD. Sure, you might come out ok, but it's someting you'll have to deal with so why bother? Plus, if you need it for SD, your adrenaline will lighten the trigger plenty.

Stick with 100% stock internals with standard trigger weights on a carry gun.

My $.02.

Read more here: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393344

1911master
02-03-2012, 13:24
I always run the Ghost 3.5 connector and Wolff 4# striker spring. Never had any problems.

fgutie35
02-03-2012, 13:43
I modified the trigger on my G19 which I carry most of the time. Many people will scare you about doing it. mostly people who have never done it or hear of a friend of a friend or read on the net about not being safe. I have had my mod since I bought my gun 11 years ago. Have never gone off on its own or go bang in the middle of the night like people claim:supergrin:. I always have to squeeze the trigger for it to go bang!. Difference is that it feels more like a single action rather than a double action trigger. Somewhat a spongy feeling though, but I can live with that if it gives me more accuracy. If you wanna know the details, PM me cause this practice is frown upon on this site, for some odd reason.:upeyes:

Glock Authority
02-03-2012, 13:45
Check this out. This guy is awesome with Glocks!!
http://youtu.be/J4BccY7wmIE

jw38
02-03-2012, 13:46
Big difference between your EDC Glock and your "range" Glocks. They can't be one and the same unless you decide for the EDC version for all. After years of experimenting and buying about every aftermarket dodad, IMHO STOCK is the only way for EDC.

DannyR
02-03-2012, 13:54
Paint it white.:supergrin:

SCmasterblaster
02-03-2012, 14:05

NICE VIDEO! :cool:

JBP55
02-03-2012, 15:13
Ever notice how many Federal Prosecutors come out in these threads with no proof of any Case Law or Court Cases.

dhoomonyou
02-03-2012, 16:17
IMHO keep it stock.

develop the speed and accuracy by practice, practice, practice.

Be well

Glockdude1
02-03-2012, 16:18
Ever notice how many Federal Prosecutors come out in these threads with no proof of any Case Law or Court Cases.

:agree:

CLee0507
02-03-2012, 18:09

This is my thinking as well. If and when the use of deadly force is needed to defend your life, I don't believe it matters how many lbs. your trigger breaks.

Islander1
02-03-2012, 18:12
The best way to lighten your trigger pull is to put thousands of rounds down range!

CLee0507
02-03-2012, 18:16
IMHO keep it stock.

Be well

I carry my 19 with the Glock 3.5 lb. connector and NY1 spring. I like this configuration since there is a heavier take up yet it breaks crisper in my opinion.

barth
02-03-2012, 18:18

I really think everyone should run a case of ammo through their gun
before considering any modifications at all (sans night sights).
Factory Glocks will do just about anything you want.
Plus there is that potential liability of having a modified gun.

Now that I'm done with the disclaimer:
I run a Ghost Rocket 3.5 with factory springs.
A GT member installed various connectors/springs and checked the actual trigger pull weight.

All Factory Glock ~6lbs
Glock and Ghost Rocket with factory springs ~5lbs

In Comparison:
The Walther PPQ breaks at just over 5 lbs. consistently. It has no tendency to stack up, and the reset is so minimal it can’t really even be measured. Most important, the reset and the trigger pull are intuitive and annunciated very well, better than most if not all.
http://photos.gunsamerica.com/d/5740-2/walther-ppq-striker-fired-pistol-trigger-pull-guage-lyman.jpg

mah77
02-03-2012, 20:34
Read up on some case laws. Modification of your weapon has nothing to do with whether it's "justifiable homicide".

Glockrunner
02-03-2012, 20:45
Read up on some case laws. Modification of your weapon has nothing to do with whether it's "justifiable homicide".

I imagine that would change if someone was shot while drawing the weapon or while bring the firearm to bear on the target. It could be argued the accident occurred because of the now, "faulty trigger."
No I am not a lawyer and don't ever plan to play on on TV.:rofl::rofl:
:whistling:

3000fps
02-03-2012, 21:39
I've already performed the .25 cent trigger job to my Glock. The gun has around 7-800 rounds (.40) and a few hundered in 9mm with the LWD barrel through it and it is properly lubed and cleaned after every use. Coupled with 1,000's of dry fire pulls practicing drawing and trigger control.

I am able to obtain effective groups at 7 yards shooting slow from reset.

When I start running on the trigger, (as you would in SD) my shots are consistently left.

I also noticed this.

Unload and clear your gun, point at the lightswitch from about 10-15 feet away and pull the trigger back slowly till it breaks. The front sight post barely moves.

Try the same thing, but pull the trigger back really quickly as you would in a self-defense situation, if you're right handed the sight always jerks really hard to the left.

That is my belief on why so many people think Glock's shoot low-left from factory.

I am going to order a Wolff spring and Ghost 3.5 to try it out. I'd rather take my chances in court liablity with lighter trigger, than sending a stray bullet somewhere off target into something I didn't intend to hit.

Basically, for me the 5 pound staple trigger makes it harder for me to get good rapid groupings. I've tried M&P's with smooth lightened triggers and shot just fine with those. To me the Glock trigger feels like a staple gun.

G30Mike
02-03-2012, 21:53
I carry my 30 with a ghost 3.5 connector. I don't believe in the legal "liability" BS that's been mentioned.

barth
02-03-2012, 21:58
I carry my 30 with a ghost 3.5 connector. I don't believe in the legal "liability" BS that's been mentioned.

I'm not convinced the liability thingy hasn't been exaggerated.
It would be nice to hear from an actual defense lawyer wouldn't it?

HD&Glock23
02-03-2012, 23:35
I just finished installing a new Ghost Rocket 3.5 kit on my model 23 and can not wait to try it out tomorrow. Upon dry firing I can immediately feel the difference. I had heard people talk about coming to a wall somewhere in the course of pulling their trigger. I was never able to feel this wall with my stock trigger; however, it is very obvious with my new set up. I now slowly pull the trigger until I feel a wall of resistance and by applying just a bit more pressure I get a sudden, crisp release of the firing pin with no over travel. I may not be giving a very good description of all this but I will say it really feels great.

Hogpauls
02-03-2012, 23:54
:deadhorse: What do Ya'll think about reloaded ammo for SD. :whistling:

barth
02-04-2012, 00:05
I just finished installing a new Ghost Rocket 3.5 kit on my model 23 and can not wait to try it out tomorrow. Upon dry firing I can immediately feel the difference. I had heard people talk about coming to a wall somewhere in the course of pulling their trigger. I was never able to feel this wall with my stock trigger; however, it is very obvious with my new set up. I now slowly pull the trigger until I feel a wall of resistance and by applying just a bit more pressure I get a sudden, crisp release of the firing pin with no over travel. I may not be giving a very good description of all this but I will say it really feels great.

I think you will find, as I did, live fire is even better than dry fire.
I had read about the Rocket being mushy?
But I think Ghost may have improved the connector.
It's very crisp and clean with very little reset.
Not mushy at all.

The trigger performs much better than expected.
I'm very impressed and happy with it.

HD&Glock23
02-04-2012, 09:03
I think you will find, as I did, live fire is even better than dry fire.
I had read about the Rocket being mushy?
But I think Ghost may have improved the connector.
It's very crisp and clean with very little reset.
Not mushy at all.

The trigger performs much better than expected.
I'm very impressed and happy with it.

Barth, thanks for reminding me about the reset...I forgot to mention as you have already stated that the reset is very little (much less than factory). I would mention that anyone installing this kit should also go to there web page and view installation process. I was not immediately pleased when I got the trigger to fire as I wanted. The reset was short (good thing) but there was hardly a noticeable click (IMO bad thing). Instruction on Ghost site showed me my problem (I needed to bend the angle of the Rocket connector outward) and after one more adjustment I was good to go. As many times as I took gun down to to shave the TCT I feel as though I could do it in my sleep. By far this was the best $40.00 I have ever spent for three hours of work. Oh BTW the actual in stall takes about 30 min. I spent the other 2 1/2 looking for my firing pin spring that took flight and hit the ceiling and then disappeared into thin air. Ha! Ha!
One more thing for the nay sayers...I do realize that in a life and death gun fight that the little reset click will not be of any importance. thanks for allowing me to post my 2 cents. Kenny

jw38
02-04-2012, 09:18

I thought I could at least do a .25 trigger job after all of the instructions I have read for the past years. This "Guy" takes instruction to a whole new level that even I can understand and do. After following his video doing my 27 and 19, all I can say is WOW - - and Thank You for making my triggers much, much smoother.

Glockers - this Video is worth your time!!!!

Bluestreakfl
02-04-2012, 09:23
Once I can learn how to and feel comfortable detail stripping my glock I may give the .25 cent trigger job a try, if anything just to smooth it out some.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

Mungrol
02-04-2012, 09:57

Yes I have definitely noticed. Funny how you never hear about how cars were modified and super high performance which contributed to the accident which means the person went driving looking to take another car out..... In all the SD situations I have read recently and as far back as I can remember..... not once has a modification of a weapon been the major focus. ONCE that I can recall.... a person was sighted due to the barrell of the shotgun being too short. Just MO

Mungrol Out!!!

AWGD8
02-04-2012, 10:22
I had my G39 connector changed to stock Glock 3.5Ibs. The difference with this setup to my stock G39 5.5ibs connector is the break is not as crisp as the stock setup. It feels smoother or lighter, but the time to build the pressure on your trigger finger is cut in half. Sometimes, harder to predict where the break point is bec. the resistance at breakpoint is reduced.

This setup is not comparable t the S/A trigger of a 1911 Colt New Agent. That gun trigger is way too light for my taste. The 5.5 Glock connector is good enough for range gun, but I was hesistant to use it for carry, bec. of the unpredictable breakpoint on the trigger. I also forgot to mention i replaced the trigger connector spring into 6IBS and compared both stock 5.5 vs 3.5IBS.

In the end, I decided to go back to sock 5.5 pounds with 6Ibs spring.
Better for carry IMHO...

bustedknee
02-04-2012, 10:24
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/dremel.jpg

GaryC
02-04-2012, 10:50
The best way to lighten your trigger pull is to put thousands of rounds down range!

Actually this should give you a smoother trigger pull, but hopefully won't lighten it much :)

That said, why do folks with very few rounds thru their Glocks start changing things like connectors, firing pin springs and trigger springs?

bc5000
02-04-2012, 12:30
Actually this should give you a smoother trigger pull, but hopefully won't lighten it much :)

That said, why do folks with very few rounds thru their Glocks start changing things like connectors, firing pin springs and trigger springs?

Because they want a nice trigger now instead of hundreds of dollars in ammo later?

GaryC
02-04-2012, 12:39
Because they want a nice trigger now instead of hundreds of dollars in ammo later?

"Nice trigger" as in lighter I guess? They can get smoother now rather than many rounds later by polishing the stock parts (as shown in the post #6 video).

MajorD
02-04-2012, 18:53
I am not much for modifying glocks- if it works leave it alone- many people (not saying you are this guy) try to solve fundamental issues with basic technique by messing with the gun- not the right answer. I use all my glocks in competition- made master in gssf last year- and never felt the need to mess with them.

Glock+2
02-04-2012, 21:03
....you could leave it 'stock' and put a thousand rounds thru it for about $200 and it would still feel like a stock 5# or so trigger

OR....you could do a trigger job/connector/springs for about $25 and have a good smooth 4# or so trigger

OR...you could spend a bit more time, shorten the pre-travel & over-travel w/trigger work/connector/springs for about $50 and have a very nice smooth 3# or so trigger with all safeties working and a very safe carry.

Glock Authority
02-04-2012, 21:16
I thought I could at least do a .25 trigger job after all of the instructions I have read for the past years. This "Guy" takes instruction to a whole new level that even I can understand and do. After following his video doing my 27 and 19, all I can say is WOW - - and Thank You for making my triggers much, much smoother.

Glockers - this Video is worth your time!!!!
I'm telling ya, this guy is phenomenal with Glocks and all guns. Also the videos are crystal clear in HD. Did it really help your trigger? I just got my G21 a couple days ago and don't have the balls to do it just yet, but I think I will.

mah77
02-04-2012, 21:47
I polished all the trigger parts, as shown in his video, today. Very smooth. Doesn't lighten the pull, just smooths it out. Detail stripping took all of maybe 5 minutes. I cut q-tips in half, inserted into my cordless drill, and finished in no time. Only cost me $5 for the metal polish.

1eyedjack
02-04-2012, 22:17
Nope. Shoot it and lube it properly and you're good to go.

Sage advice. Any thing else is mere foolishness...

cowboy1964
02-04-2012, 22:59
I'm getting tired of pointing out the obvious on this issue but one more time:

1) Glock admonishes to NOT use the lightest trigger for carry. There's some legal liability for ya right out of the chute.

2) LE does not use the light trigger. In fact if anything they go HEAVIER.

3) A light trigger should not be used as a crutch for improving accuracy.

4) Why not a 0.1 pound trigger? After all, it's only going to go bang if you pull the trigger, right?

bustedknee
02-04-2012, 23:25
....That said, why do folks with very few rounds thru their Glocks start changing things like connectors, firing pin springs and trigger springs?

Everyone knows, the winners of all the matches are the guys who shoot Glocks that have a trigger pull like a 1911.

No practice required, just a 1911 trigger-pull. :animlol:

tonyparson
02-04-2012, 23:38

1) Glock admonishes to NOT use the lightest trigger for carry. There's some legal liability for ya right out of the chute.

4) Why not a 0.1 pound trigger? After all, it's only going to go bang if you pull the trigger, right?

Glock also says not to carry your handgun with a round in the chamber, do you follow that advice? :dunno:

Snaps
02-04-2012, 23:43
IMHO - Safe, yes. Smart, NO!

Lighter trigger = increased courtroom liability should you ever have to use in SD.

Proven to be completely opposite. I believe it was last summer where the argument was that the trigger was so heavy that it couldnt have been a mistake they had to want to kill the person.

Snaps
02-04-2012, 23:45

glock also says youre not qualified to change out a part that takes anybody who's not a moron 10 seconds. LE/govt says you can't be trusted with firearms becasue you're not a super secret trained police man.

tinman517
02-05-2012, 00:00
IMHO keep it stock.

Be well

Hard for some, but nonetheless, sage advice.

OrGlocker
02-05-2012, 00:15

Here's how to lighten up the trigger in these steps.

1. Shoot your Glock
2. Reload you Glock
3. Continue Stepe 1 & 2 until your either tired, broke or both
4. Clean & lube your Glock per your manual.
5. After you have recovered from step 3 go back to steps 1 & 2 again in that order.

HD&Glock23
02-05-2012, 01:55
I guess this forum and this thread is a good example of why there are many different Gun Mfg. and many models and calibers made by each. Everyone has a different desire of what works for them. What feels great to me made not even be close for someone else.

Who's to say what is the perfect/correct trigger pull and trigger action. Wither it is a 12lb., 5lb., or 3.5 lb trigger isn't it wonderful that we all have the freedom to choose the one that we like and functions best for us. So I guess the perfect trigger action all boils down to a personal choice and just like opinions everybody has one.

BTW I shot my 23 today for first time since installing my Ghost Rocket 3.5. What a difference it made in improving my groupings by at least 3 inches. Boy am I stoked, what a sweet gun.
________ Kenny

Check my Gat
02-05-2012, 02:46
I have a Gen 4 Glock 34 with a Ghost Rocket 3.5 conenctor and Glockworx reduced power spring kit. I'm not sure which one because it only said "GW spring kit" on the tiny bag that the armorer gave back to me. I assume there's only one most likely and hopefully if you wish you will be able to duplicate my results.

Together they produced an extremely good, smooth, light trigger pull that is still long enough to satisfy the irrationally safety conscious. I shoot it extremely well and all the safeties are still functional.

Also, if you are concerned about user induced ADs (NDs), more training is required. Everyone should be concerned about them all the time, but not to the point it actually affects a decision that will make your weapon manipulation better. 2c.

Bonedoc
01-05-2013, 13:45
Note this is an older thread but wanted to just rattle a cage or two.
Dissenting viewpoints within the gun owning/shooting community is nothing new. It is my observation (over some 40 years of belonging to that community) that such dissension has gotten a bit more vitriolic over the past ten years or so... wonder if this might be a chink in our armor against anti-2nd Amend folks?

Anyway... I have a multitude of Gs. All .40s. I have over 90K on one M22. Maintained it well. Tried numerous things for the trigger dilemma.
1. There is no substitute for practice (even if you use a slingshot). There is no substitute for muscle memory and working your routines ad nauseum empty at home or range.

2. Each serious shooter has their own opinion based on "their" own experiences. Those experiences are filtered thru their intellect, emotions, past and current history of use, and the beliefs formed by those. I doubt anyone has the same identical filter.

3. Vanek, Ghost, Glockworx, Carver, Vogel and more all offer some either fully modified trigger kits, modified parts or even 'new' parts made with a variety of touted materials all intending to improve Glock Triggers... it is more than a cottage industry.

4. Glock doesn't want anyone doing anything to their guns. Not because you cannot improve upon them (in some manner) but acquiescing to 'owner mods' is a liability (for the company). As far as owner liability in defensive use, all such uses (which result in any court time) will be inclusive of efforts to belittle the owner, make them out to be vicious and antisocial and (on top of that) incompetent bumblers who muck around with their firearms to make them more deadly. It will be up to YOUR lawyer to protect your good name, reasonable intentions and (oh, YOU do have a lawyer, right? Already? With his card in your wallet? Hmmm)... well, better to be judged by 12 than... you know.

5. I've used a few 'parts' that were not Glock made in my pistol. I've done some polishing (and shot well over 200K in just two Gs) and a bit of modification while polishing, swapped out some springs, etc, etc... I have in all my Gs right now slightly to moderately (after all, the basic geometry and design is necessary to comply with excepting some of those new 'steel' framed Gs) altered for better trigger feel and (perhaps) function (again, it makes things go bang).

6 Every single STOCK Glock owner that has ever pulled a trigger on my Gs has said, "Wow, waddya do?" or at least "Neat, that is smooth, waddya do?" Every single inexperienced shooter who (if I have let them) has fired my Glock doesn't notice a darn thing... and still misses.

My point is simply that we all need to pull closer and close ranks around each other no matter petty disagreements and perceived slights or momentary biting comments. As gun owners we are facing the worse possible scenario now and chinks in our armor will be exploited. Recall that England played the hunting shooters "against" the (more) tactical users in their efforts to take firearms. And no, I don't want to sing Kumbaya.. all be safe.

JBP55
01-05-2013, 14:05
From Bonedoc
6 Every single STOCK Glock owner that has ever pulled a trigger on my Gs has said, "Wow, waddya do?" or at least "Neat, that is smooth, waddya do?" Every single inexperienced shooter who (if I have let them) has fired my Glock doesn't notice a darn thing... and still misses.

NO ONE has ever shot one of my Glocks that has been enhanced and not noticed a darn thing.

G-nineteen
01-05-2013, 14:37
the Glock trigger must exert X amount of force to fully cock the action. I don't see how any mechanical device (levers) can reduce the required force. If you don't like the heavy trigger, look elsewhere. I have.

dango
01-05-2013, 14:43
Snap-caps , effort , time spent , problem solved ! :supergrin:

OMHO.......!:wavey:

ken grant
01-05-2013, 14:53
Lighter trigger good for shooting groups on the range, not so good for shooting someone while you are under stress.

JBP55
01-05-2013, 15:39
Lighter trigger good for shooting groups on the range, not so good for shooting someone while you are under stress.

True, but a young American male can pull a 25# trigger when under extreme stress so do not think you are safe with a 5.5# trigger.

JBP55
01-05-2013, 15:42
the Glock trigger must exert X amount of force to fully cock the action. I don't see how any mechanical device (levers) can reduce the required force. If you don't like the heavy trigger, look elsewhere. I have.

Contact Joe D, he can take a Glock trigger pull to the 2# range making your stock 1911 trigger pull feel heavy.

Bonedoc
01-05-2013, 17:24
" I don't see how any mechanical device (levers) can reduce the required force." If I had a long enough lever I could move the world...

"NO ONE has ever shot one of my Glocks that has been enhanced and not noticed a darn thing." Even people who aren't aware of what a sight picture is?

The Glock (and most pistols) are a series of levers and spring loaded bearing surfaces. As long as the chain can exhibit the same force at the end then you can modify in the middle "some" of the effort and multiply it elsewhere... that is why, for instance, some of the modified trigger/trigger bar and housing have a required 'less' force as the pivot point is changed on/at the actual trigger. Makes a difference. Obviously agree with the idea of 'time on the range'... always makes for better groups no matter the firearm.

Stress shooting is interesting. Some PDs used to 'neuter' the cocking mechanism to stop accidental shootings when they carried revolvers. NY used (or does) the "NY Trigger" and their guys may not pull the trigger under stress accidentally but their hit ratio attests to something wrong in the mix as "many" PDs see 'spray and pray' type incidents. I don't go below 3.5 and I've used 5 and 8# triggers... not a fan of the NY 8 and above (yeah they go up...) triggers but anything that "smooths" the contact between gliding/sliding/levering parts is not a bad idea if done correctly. Happy hunting.

G-nineteen
01-05-2013, 20:24
levers reduce the PERCEIVED amount of effort to do something (compress a Glock spring or move a boulder). Levers do not reduce the ACTUAL amount of force required. High school physics.

I would love for someone to enlighten me on the physics of how the ACTUAL (not perceived) force required to compress the striker spring would be reduced by these modifications.

Lior
01-05-2013, 21:37
Here many folks carry with empty chambers and use 3.5 lb trigger connectors. A round in the chamber and a 3.5 lb trigger are by no means mutually exclusive. For a carry gun, the "minus" connector is about as far as I would want to go in trigger lightening while retaining reliability. Smoothing the trigger by having a nice four or five digit round count is also a good way to go.

Converting a Glock into an Open Division racegun is another story, in which any modification would be legitimate, but that's another story.

SouthpawG26
01-05-2013, 22:36
I would love for someone to enlighten me on the physics of how the ACTUAL (not perceived) force required to compress the striker spring would be reduced by these modifications.

Trigger pull, rather than just the stored energy in the compressed striker spring, is reduced:
1:By using a lighter striker spring combined with a lightened striker.
2: By using a stronger trigger spring which, rather uniquely on the Glock design, pulls the trigger rearward. One of the few springs in firearms operating under tension rather than compression.
3: By using a lighter spring in the safety plunger the required upward force imparted on the plunger by the ramp on the rearward moving trigger bar is reduced and your trigger finger imparts less force x distance to pull the trigger.

G-nineteen
01-06-2013, 00:28
Trigger pull, rather than just the stored energy in the compressed striker spring, is reduced:
1:By using a lighter striker spring combined with a lightened striker.
2: By using a stronger trigger spring which, rather uniquely on the Glock design, pulls the trigger rearward. One of the few springs in firearms operating under tension rather than compression.
3: By using a lighter spring in the safety plunger the required upward force imparted on the plunger by the ramp on the rearward moving trigger bar is reduced and your trigger finger imparts less force x distance to pull the trigger.

Thanks for the technical answer I was looking for, even if it's beyond me.
#1: a lighter striker and spring would increase the odds of the primer not igniting. no?
#3: Wouldn't a lighter spring decrease the effectiveness of this safety, making the gun less... safe?

SouthpawG26
01-06-2013, 08:40
Reply in red

Thanks for the technical answer I was looking for, even if it's beyond me.the trigger is not just compressing the striker spring, it's also compressing the safety plunger spring and reducing tension on a coil type trigger spring (additional compression in case of a NY trigger spring) The trigger movement stores more energy than just in the striker spring
#1: a lighter striker and spring would increase the odds of the primer not igniting. no?
yes. But smart gunsmiths using good parts have shown that this can be done reliably, when using quality primers/ammo. I'm not advocating this for carry.
#3: Wouldn't a lighter spring decrease the effectiveness of this safety, making the gun less... safe?
in theory yes, a weaker plunger spring would increase the possibility of the firing pin safety being depressed by a large shock to the handgun. Again, it's been done with a good empirical record, but not what I would recommend for carry

sigman69
01-06-2013, 09:00
My point is simply that we all need to pull closer and close ranks around each other no matter petty disagreements and perceived slights or momentary biting comments. As gun owners we are facing the worse possible scenario now and chinks in our armor will be exploited. Recall that England played the hunting shooters "against" the (more) tactical users in their efforts to take firearms. And no, I don't want to sing Kumbaya.. all be safe.

This is so true people we have to stand against this fools that want to ban our guns

4Rules
01-06-2013, 09:10
Go Ask The Expert. (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=256)

JakeFromStateFarm
01-06-2013, 09:19
Rofl..

dakrat
01-06-2013, 12:10
the best way to lighten the Glock trigger is going to the gym. might not get the result right away but you will get there. I reduced mine to 1 lb now. the magazine release seemed to have gotten lighter as well

G-nineteen
01-06-2013, 13:08
I bench 265. Perhaps I need to work up to 400?

Not quite the technical answers I am seeking.

G-nineteen
01-06-2013, 13:14
Reply in red

Twice, you wisely warned not to carry with these mods. Sadly, that significantly trashes the gun's utility.

G-nineteen
01-06-2013, 13:15
double

dango
01-06-2013, 13:16
I bench 265. Perhaps I need to work up to 400?

Not quite the technical answers I am seeking.

I bench 425 , maybe I should bench down...! :supergrin:

I hate each and every new Glock I've ever bought until at least 500 rounds through it ..! Just is , like Gravity....! :supergrin:

G-nineteen
01-06-2013, 13:25
I bench 425 , maybe I should bench down...! :supergrin:

I hate each and every new Glock I've ever bought until at least 500 rounds through it ..! Just is , like Gravity....! :supergrin:

THIS is the wisdom I was seeking. Thanks

I gave up on my G19 after about 500 rounds; it's history.
Perhaps I will be more patient with my one remaining G.

JBP55
01-06-2013, 13:35
Go Ask The Expert. (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=256)

Many on GT already know the answers. :cool:

G-nineteen
01-06-2013, 13:47
Contact Joe D, he can take a Glock trigger pull to the 2# range making your stock 1911 trigger pull feel heavy.

I made a weak effort to find Joe D using the search function. It was fruitless :embarassed:

I apologize to the OP, seeing as how I've inadvertantly hi-jacked his thread. I think it's still on-topic though.

JBP55
01-06-2013, 15:18
I made a weak effort to find Joe D using the search function. It was fruitless :embarassed:

I apologize to the OP, seeing as how I've inadvertantly hi-jacked his thread. I think it's still on-topic though.

I know you can find him on BENOS.

ViennaGambit
01-06-2013, 15:35
http://images-en.busytrade.com/212836100/Hand-Grip-Exercise-Blue.jpg

SouthpawG26
01-06-2013, 15:38
Twice, you wisely warned not to carry with these mods. Sadly, that significantly trashes the gun's utility.

The safeties are not deactivated, there is however some reduction of various safety margins, obviously.

There is no such thing as a free lunch, only a free cell phone...

jhonny_rico01
06-14-2014, 03:45
I run a Zev Tech V4 race connector and matched with Zev Tech Competion springs....gauged it at 2.7-3.0 lbs...shot it around 500 rounds...no problem...