NC carry on expired CWP in renwal process-- [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NC carry on expired CWP in renwal process--

filthy infidel
02-03-2012, 19:25
So back in November or so I received a friendly reminder from my local Sheriff that my CCW was due to expire. In my head (and without checking) I thought it expired mid February at my birthday.
I reapplied December 28 and was told that I'd likely have the new permit before the old one expired.
Turns out my CCW expired 1-26...... haven't carried since. I called the Sheriff's office this morning and was told that I could carry with my expired card as my application was 'in the system'. This sounds nice but does anyone have any information backing same?

John43
02-03-2012, 19:36
I wouldn't carry until I got the new one, not worth taking a chance on it.

RussP
02-03-2012, 20:00
So back in November or so I received a friendly reminder from my local Sheriff that my CCW was due to expire. In my head (and without checking) I thought it expired mid February at my birthday.
I reapplied December 28 and was told that I'd likely have the new permit before the old one expired.
Turns out my CCW expired 1-26...... haven't carried since. I called the Sheriff's office this morning and was told that I could carry with my expired card as my application was 'in the system'. This sounds nice but does anyone have any information backing same?Go in, ask the same question and ask for that answer in writing on letterhead signed by the Sheriff himself. Otherwise, wait to carry again until you have the permit.

RussP
02-03-2012, 20:08
Advocating, suggesting, condoning carrying in violation of the law is a violation of GT Rules. Do not do it.

filthy infidel
02-03-2012, 20:27
Advocating, suggesting, condoning carrying in violation of the law is a violation of GT Rules. Do not do it.

I'm plainly engaging in nothing you've mentioned, asking quite a valid question Russ. If you'd like to offer anything of value, it would be appreciated.
My CCW history is entirely legal, and maintaining same is why the question was posed.
Having not a deposition of the friendly lady answering the phones at the Sheriff's office, I felt the knowledgeable folks at GT a source of information.

NC Bullseye
02-03-2012, 22:10
There is nothing illegal about carrying past the expiration date as long as the renewal has been applied for as specified in the statutes. http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-415.16.html

Note section (c)

If the permittee applies for a renewal of the permit within the 90‑day period prior to its expiration date and if the permittee remains qualified to have a permit under G.S. 14‑415.12, the sheriff shall renew the permit. The permit of a permittee who complies with this section shall remain valid beyond the expiration date of the permit until the permittee either receives a renewal permit or is denied a renewal permit by the sheriff.

RussP
02-04-2012, 05:25
I'm plainly engaging in nothing you've mentioned, asking quite a valid question Russ. If you'd like to offer anything of value, it would be appreciated.
My CCW history is entirely legal, and maintaining same is why the question was posed.
Having not a deposition of the friendly lady answering the phones at the Sheriff's office, I felt the knowledgeable folks at GT a source of information.Not directed at you, sir, just those responding to your question who were advocating such.

RussP
02-04-2012, 05:31
There is nothing illegal about carrying past the expiration date as long as the renewal has been applied for as specified in the statutes. http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-415.16.html

Note section (c)If the permittee applies for a renewal of the permit within the 90‑day period prior to its expiration date and if the permittee remains qualified to have a permit under G.S. 14‑415.12, the sheriff shall renew the permit. The permit of a permittee who complies with this section shall remain valid beyond the expiration date of the permit until the permittee either receives a renewal permit or is denied a renewal permit by the sheriff.There's the answer. Thanks, NC Bullseye. :thumbsup:

There was a discussion about this a long time ago, perhaps not even about NC. It was suggested then that someone in this situation carry a copy of the submitted renewal application and/or the receipt for the renewal fee as proof.

filthy infidel
02-04-2012, 08:04
Thank you all, printed a copy of the statutes and packing again!:wavey:

NC Bullseye
02-04-2012, 20:35
Thank you all, printed a copy of the statutes and packing again!:wavey:

Glad to help a traveling man out.

Stay safe!

Misty02
02-04-2012, 21:55
In Florida you can’t carry without a valid license. If you carry and forget your license at home it is a $25 fine, no biggie in the big scheme of things. However, and expired or lost license render them invalid until you receive a new one.

After seeing what NC Bullseye posted, you all have a bit of leeway; however, you would have had to apply within 90 days prior to the expiration, based on the timeline you provided that doesn’t appear to be the case.

If the permittee applies for a renewal of the permit within the 90‑day period prior to its expiration date and if the permittee remains qualified to have a permit under G.S. 14‑415.12, the sheriff shall renew the permit. The permit of a permittee who complies with this section shall remain valid beyond the expiration date of the permit until the permittee either receives a renewal permit or is denied a renewal permit by the sheriff.

NC Bullseye
02-05-2012, 00:11
In Florida you can’t carry without a valid license. If you carry and forget your license at home it is a $25 fine, no biggie in the big scheme of things. However, and expired or lost license render them invalid until you receive a new one.

After seeing what NC Bullseye posted, you all have a bit of leeway; however, you would have had to apply within 90 days prior to the expiration, based on the timeline you provided that doesn’t appear to be the case.

Not quite sure what your getting at. He applied for renewal on 12-28. His permit did not expired until 1-26 or 29 or so days after he applied for renewal and thus within the requirements of the statute.

Misty02
02-05-2012, 00:16
Not quite sure what your getting at. He applied for renewal on 12-28. His permit did not expired until 1-26 or 29 or so days after he applied for renewal and thus within the requirements of the statute.

I misinterpreted what I read, you are correct. My apologies. “Within the 90 day period” is not the same as “90 days before its expiration”, which is what I read in spite what it actually said.

tak2w
02-08-2012, 21:07
One options is open carry.... no permit required in NC.

Thx-1138
02-09-2012, 10:41
One options is open carry.... no permit required in NC.

As long as you double-check all local ordinances, since the state preemption still allows localities to regulate the display of firearms on public streets and sidewalks.