Second Carry Experience [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Second Carry Experience

Amsdorf
02-04-2012, 06:37
So, my first time out I had my Glock 26 in my Galco KingTuk IWB, yesterday I carried all day in a small OWB kydex holster. Much more comfortable! I was weaging a long baggy sweater over jeans and I felt like every just had to know I was carrying, but I soldiered through those feelings and kept the gun on all day, everywhere I went. I went into a small place for lunch, ran errands and had it on all day at work. Much more comfortable!

Evey riding in the car with it on was ok.

I even carried in Condition 1.

So, I guess practice doing this is the only way to go.

RussP
02-04-2012, 07:15
Just keep doing it.

Do you wear it around the house?

Amsdorf
02-04-2012, 07:32
When I have pants and a belt on, yet. Right now, still in PJs.

; )

Pierre!
02-04-2012, 09:05
(LOL) still in PJ's... :cool:

Got my sweat pants on and packing the G27 in an Uncle Mike's Softie (#12? Yup!)

Running my compacts and .380's appendix these days, and my back is loving it.

Keep practicing around the house, and you will get more comfortable. Most people don't even look for a firearm on someone else, so 98% of our worry is for nothing.

Patrick

Veedubklown
02-04-2012, 09:19
Keep practicing around the house, and you will get more comfortable. Most people don't even look for a firearm on someone else, so 98% of our worry is for nothing.

Patrick

Unless your 6'4", built like a rail, it's summer, and carrying OWB. A buddy and I were at the local walmart, and people literally parted for him. You could see the eyes dart to the gun, then the people would shift their step. Mothers even grabbed their children. I had to wade through the wake of people he was making, myself carrying my lowly 26 IWB. Even though this is AZ, where everyone has a firearm, people don't expect to see them day to day. I've had experiences of people being put off by the presence of my firearm, to where they'd keep looking at it while talking to me. Finally I looked down to see if I had a mustard stain or something.

OWB is more comfortable for some, I don't care for it, because I knock it on everything I walk past. However, people definitely notice it, when not concealed.

Amsdorf
02-04-2012, 11:04
Well, there was the lady in the store who said to me, "Is that a Glock in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

drum beat-drumb beat-cymbal crash

cowboy1964
02-04-2012, 14:04
I'll always pick OWB if I can get away with it. Which is rarely.

"Carrying should be comforting, not comfortable."

Lowjiber
02-04-2012, 15:04
Now that I'm retired, I get away with wearing my shirts un-tucked most of the time. That, with the addition of a "photographer's" vest, pretty much conceals the OWB carry of just about anything up to (and including) a G19.

Having carried for thirty years, I've gotten into certain habits...some related to exposing the gun and others related to maintaining a defensive posture relative to a potential BG.

For example, when selecting a seat in a restaurant booth I always opt for the side that puts my gun toward the wall.

When standing at a urinal, I select one that has my strong (gun) side toward the wall. Even then, I establish a position that puts my gun closer to the right side of the "stall".

If I'm at a cash register and someone walks up beside me on the gun side, I instinctively turn my back slightly toward them and let the counter be my extra protection. I didn't even know I did this one until my wife mentioned it one day...saying that I do it all the time.

One more thing that may seem trivial...When selecting a seat at a poker table, I'll take seat #1 every time I can. Doing so, puts my gun next to the dealer.

My bottom line is not to let the BG have more access to my weapon that necessary.

saddlebum
02-05-2012, 10:08
Now that I'm retired, I get away with wearing my shirts un-tucked most of the time. That, with the addition of a "SHOOT ME FIRST" vest, pretty much conceals the OWB carry of just about anything up to (and including) a G19.
fixxed it for ya

Jay_Deuce
02-06-2012, 15:20
:laughabove:

Whenever I see those vests, that's the first thing that comes to mind. I have given up on the "everyone knows" thoughts. If that was the case I might as well just open carry!