Question on ammo quality [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question on ammo quality

ghr1142
02-04-2012, 10:57
Hello to all,
I'm looking for inputt on ammo made by UNDERWOOD AMMO.COM
The prices are very good and 357 sig. you can't beat ! Has anyone tryied this ammo and has there been any problems with it ?
Any help would be very welcome.

Thanks,
GHR1142

PghJim
02-05-2012, 02:13
I have never shot their ammo, but communicated with them a couple of times and they seem like honest people. The brass jacketed HP on the 357 sig are Montana Gold and I do not know how they would work for self defense. However, for 357sig, that is not a bad deal for practice ammo. Let us know if you try it.

I just saw where they have Gold Dot for $28+ for 50 with advertised velocity of 1,450fps. That may be really interestng if it is the right GD bullet.

07hemi4me
02-05-2012, 07:32
I have shot his, 180gr and 135 gr in 10mm, all I can say is WOW....

I do not have a crono yet, so I can not attest to the velocity, but the 135 gr advertized at 1600 ft/sec is really moving out.

His prices are very good

ghr1142
02-05-2012, 08:57
I have never shot their ammo, but communicated with them a couple of times and they seem like honest people. The brass jacketed HP on the 357 sig are Montana Gold and I do not know how they would work for self defense. However, for 357sig, that is not a bad deal for practice ammo. Let us know if you try it.

I just saw where they have Gold Dot for $28+ for 50 with advertised velocity of 1,450fps. That may be really interestng if it is the right GD bullet.

I'm going to try a box and see what their all about.
Thanks for your advise.
GHR1142

fredj338
02-05-2012, 12:11
Never heard of them, but I don't buy a lot of commercial ammo. GA beats them on price for practice ammo. The MG JHP are NOT made for terminal performance but to increase accuracy. http://georgia-arms.com/cannedheat357sig125grfullmetaljacket1000pk.aspx

Taterhead
02-06-2012, 11:07
Underwood has made somewhat of a cult following over on the 10 Ring 10 mm auto forum. I load all of my own ammo, but without exception I have heard nothing but positive input about the ammo and customer service. In 10mm, it is loaded hot and anyone that has run it over a chrony has validated velocity claims. Kevin Underwood has been an occasional contributor on the 10mm forum.

For a while, there were a lot of fans of Swamp Fox ammo. The owner passed away a few months ago so is no longer in business. Underwood has sort of filled that niche with high performance ammo.

TRaGiK
02-06-2012, 20:51
His 10mm stuff is damn good.

In his plain jane 10mm JHP, he originally used Winchester projectiles (or so it appeared), then switched to Montana Gold, and his premium hollow point is XTP's.

I've chrono'd all of the above, and in every case, it's met advertised velocity.

Great stuff at a great price, considering he sells full powered ammo.