What should my next CC gun be? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What should my next CC gun be?

timbo813
02-04-2012, 17:17
I'm looking to get a new concealed carry pistol soon. Currently, I have a M&P 9c that I carry occasionally and a Keltec p32 that I carry occasionally.

I really like the M&P but it is more trouble to wear the right clothes and put on a gunbelt and holster. Also, even with a good belt and holster, a t-shirt can still catch on the top and expose the gun and it prints when I bend over.

The P32 is super easy to conceal in a pocket but I feel a bit undergunned and it is less reliable.

I am considering an LCP or a revolver like a J-frame or a LCR. I like the idea of a J-frame the best but I am a bit usure about it fitting well in a front pocket. How easy are those to pocket carry? Are there others I should consider?

I hear lots of guys say that gun XYZ disappears with the right belt and holster. Do you guys ever bend over? My M&P disappears until I bend over. About half the time when I get out of the car my t-shirt has caught on the grip and needs to be pulled down. So, I'm looking for a good gun to stick in my pocket and not worry about.

Midwest Doc
02-04-2012, 17:22
I always pocket carry, and always use a holster (Remora). A J-Frame is too big for me to pocket carry. My EDC (pocket carry) is a Seecamp 380. Ruger LCP also works well. Other good pocket carry options are Kahr and NAA.

John43
02-04-2012, 17:24
Get a CM9, its just a little bigger than an LCP.

Truffle8Shuffle
02-04-2012, 17:31
I have a Smith and Wesson 638 that I routinely carry in my front pocket in a Desantis Nemesis holster. The one thing with pocket carry that I have a problem with sometimes is if my pockets aren't deep enough and the butt of the grip shows. I've only had this issue with a few pairs of shorts/pants but that was remedied with the help of a tailor adding deeper pockets. I usually carry two Bianchi speed strips in my weak side pocket for a total of 17 rounds.

It's great to be able to have my hand on the grip of my pistol with no one ever knowing I'm even armed.

I also use a Galco Stow-n-Go holster if I want to appendix carry it IWB. I have a buddy who's a deputy and he got a 638 after I let him borrow mine for awhile and he hasn't looked back.

I'm throwing around the idea of a Kahr CM9 for a few more rounds and easier reloads. I carry my G23 less and less, especially during the hotter months, even though I love shooting it.

ETA- Another friend carries his Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite in a Ramora either IWB or pocket. I've never tried it but he loves it.

stollersteve
02-04-2012, 20:56
I carry a Bersa 380CC in a pocket holster. It conceals easily and is a dream to shoot.

HarleyGuy
02-04-2012, 22:40
I've been thinking about another smaller gun myself.

The Kel-Tec .32 that I carry is a little too small and going up to the .380 just doesn't make a lot of sense in my view.

I also have a S/W 642 but it's just a little to big for pocket carry and if you have to use a holster it doesn't seem to make much difference in what size of gun you carry once you're carrying one on your belt.

I was as at a local gun store the other day and I noticed that they had a Kel-Tec 9mm that looked very thin but they were so buy I didn't want to take up their time so I may go back this coming week and take a better look at it.

MinnesnowtaWild
02-05-2012, 03:03
I used to want a .380 pocket pistol for simple summer carry, but after plenty of "research" I refuse to arm myself with that cartridge. The hollow points do a good job with appropriate expansion, but penetration in ballistic gel is well below what I am comfortable with.

With that said, I have been exploring the small 9mm's. In my opinion, none of them are really ideal pocket guns. I am not saying it cannot be done, but not for me. I have basically looked at:
-Kahr CM9
-Ruger LC9
-Taurus 709 Slim
-Kel Tec PF9
-Diamondback DB9

Out of all of those, I have found that I like the Kahr and the Taurus the best. The LC9 would be ideal, but the trigger is too much for me and I don't like all the safety features.

DonGlock26
02-05-2012, 09:33
The J-frame bulges in a pocket. Cargo pockets hide the bulge outline in a front pocket well. For other pants, I have a LCP.

_

sourdough44
02-05-2012, 09:44
I scoffed at the 380 for a while too. Right now I'm enjoying my Ruger LCP. Speer & Hornady 90 grn ammo gets good marks for 380 ammo. Yes, it will never match a 40 s&w, but the LCP is very easy to carry.

unit1069
02-05-2012, 18:30
I tried to love .380ACP micro pistols but for primary carry the caliber is just too borderline for anyone not in James Bond's league. If at all possible go up to 9mm in slightly larger pistols and I predict you'll feel much more confident.

brianb131
02-05-2012, 22:49
I love my S&W J-Frame. Easy to carry in a holster or just drop into pocket (pocket holster recommended!).

stollersteve
02-06-2012, 06:22
I tried to love .380ACP micro pistols but for primary carry the caliber is just too borderline for anyone not in James Bond's league. If at all possible go up to 9mm in slightly larger pistols and I predict you'll feel much more confident.

The .380 is the same "caliber" (diameter) as the 9mm. Only difference is that the 9mm has a little more power behind it. A couple well placed .380 shots will be just as effective as a couple well placed 9mm shots (or .40 cal for that matter). I don't buy the .380 is "insufficient" for defensive carry story.

ca survivor
02-06-2012, 06:34
I carry a full size or compact gun, if I have to fight I like something to hang on to, try to dress around you gun

PlayboyPenguin
02-06-2012, 15:17
If your clothes actually fit you properly you can give up on the idea of any gun "disappearing" in your front pocket. It is not going to happen. Now if you are one of those guys that has no idea how clothes should fit or are willing to wear over-sized clothes to conceal your gun (I am not one of them) you might have success with many of the small semi-autos and most any j-frame sized snubbie.

HKLovingIT
02-06-2012, 15:28
I'm looking to get a new concealed carry pistol soon. Currently, I have a M&P 9c that I carry occasionally and a Keltec p32 that I carry occasionally.

I really like the M&P but it is more trouble to wear the right clothes and put on a gunbelt and holster. Also, even with a good belt and holster, a t-shirt can still catch on the top and expose the gun and it prints when I bend over.

The P32 is super easy to conceal in a pocket but I feel a bit undergunned and it is less reliable.

I am considering an LCP or a revolver like a J-frame or a LCR. I like the idea of a J-frame the best but I am a bit usure about it fitting well in a front pocket. How easy are those to pocket carry? Are there others I should consider?

I hear lots of guys say that gun XYZ disappears with the right belt and holster. Do you guys ever bend over? My M&P disappears until I bend over. About half the time when I get out of the car my t-shirt has caught on the grip and needs to be pulled down. So, I'm looking for a good gun to stick in my pocket and not worry about.

Nope, never bend over. Squat down rather than bend over. Reach for things up high with arm that is not holster side so shirt doesn't ride up. Things like that.

The usual contenders:

PM9
CM9
Nano
LC9 - (biggish for pocket)
PPS

ithaca_deerslayer
02-06-2012, 15:31

I have a Glock 26 which is probably about the same size as what you have now. Conceals well for maybe 90% of the time.

I've also got a Kahr PM9. Conceals well for maybe 96% of the time.

Then I've got a S&W 642. Conceals well for about 99% of the time.

I'd say the Ruger LCP .380 wConceals well neary 100% of the time.

If you get the snubbie revolver (doesn't matter if Ruger or S&W), try it IWB. The rounded grip probably won't print nearly as much as square pointy semi-auto. Pocket carry depends on the size of your pockets :)

My 2 cents.

Lior
02-06-2012, 22:09
I carry a full size or compact gun, if I have to fight I like something to hang on to, try to dress around you gun

Well said Sir.

MinnesnowtaWild
02-06-2012, 22:15
The .380 is the same "caliber" (diameter) as the 9mm. Only difference is that the 9mm has a little more power behind it. A couple well placed .380 shots will be just as effective as a couple well placed 9mm shots (or .40 cal for that matter). I don't buy the .380 is "insufficient" for defensive carry story.

I would say "a little more power" is quite an understatement. The .380 may be the same caliber size as 9mm, but the power and loads of the 9mm are much, much greater. .380 is in a completely different class. 90g bullets moving under 1,000 fps (typically) doesn't produce much energy at all, and penetration into ballistics gel has been much less than ideal for .380 loads. Penetration of 8" in gel is not going to cut it in a human with bone, muscle, etc. 9mm on the other hand, has MUCH more versatility as far as bullet weight and velocity. Energy is much, much higher and expansion is quite a bit higher. Most importantly however, is that 9mm gives at minimum 12" of penetration and usually more.

So why would I get a .380 pistol that holds 6 rounds when I can get a 9mm that is of similar size that holds 6 or 7 rounds?

I understand that there are situations where the only thing possible to carry is a .380 and it is far better than carrying nothing, but to say that 9mm is not much better than .380 is a little farfetched.

frank_drebin
02-06-2012, 22:21
So why would I get a .380 pistol that holds 6 rounds when I can get a 9mm that is of similar size that holds 6 or 7 rounds?

I understand that there are situations where the only thing possible to carry is a .380 and it is far better than carrying nothing, but to say that 9mm is not much better than .380 is a little farfetched.

My 380 is sufficient 99% of the time. The fact that there is a 10,000:1 chance I'll ever need it means that my risk tolerance vs comfort ratio balances in such a way as to give me ample comfort.

PlayboyPenguin
02-06-2012, 22:31
I would say "a little more power" is quite an understatement. The .380 may be the same caliber size as 9mm, but the power and loads of the 9mm are much, much greater. .380 is in a completely different class. 90g bullets moving under 1,000 fps (typically) doesn't produce much energy at all, and penetration into ballistics gel has been much less than ideal for .380 loads. Penetration of 8" in gel is not going to cut it in a human with bone, muscle, etc. 9mm on the other hand, has MUCH more versatility as far as bullet weight and velocity. Energy is much, much higher and expansion is quite a bit higher. Most importantly however, is that 9mm gives at minimum 12" of penetration and usually more.

You need to do some tests with some better .380 ammo. I, and other testers on YouTube, regularly get 12-16 inches of penetration with good .380 ammo. In fact it is often only an inch or two less than the similar 9mm ammo being tested.

Steelhawk
02-06-2012, 22:40
If you want something smaller, the LC9 is great. It practically disappears in the right holster.

I don't wear T-shirts when carrying, though, they don't hide the gun well. Loose fitting shirts with patterns are what you want.

You mentioned bending over. I don't do that anymore. Squat down. It doesn't take much time to change a few behaviors so you don't print or show the holster. Don't reach with the strong hand, and when you put on your coat on, do the strong side first.

tshadow6
02-07-2012, 03:03
You mention that you do not carry all the time. Under what circumstances do you carry? If you only carry the S&W when you can wear a jacket, save your money for a better holster/belt combination. What ever you do keep the P32. Those guns are just too easy to carry. .32 Winchester Silvertip hollowpoints work well in the P32.

timbo813
02-07-2012, 20:36
I usually don't carry. Several of the places I regularly go don't allow carry. I do have a good belt and holster that conceals the M&P well as long as I don't bend over.

I'm really looking for a gun I can just stick in my pocket when I'm running out the door rather than fool with a holster. The p-32 is great to stick in my pocket, I just don't have a real high opinion of the round or the reliability.

Dexter
02-07-2012, 20:41
Kahr PM9 or CM9 or the kimber solo

tshadow6
02-08-2012, 03:11
I usually don't carry. Several of the places I regularly go don't allow carry. I do have a good belt and holster that conceals the M&P well as long as I don't bend over.

I'm really looking for a gun I can just stick in my pocket when I'm running out the door rather than fool with a holster. The p-32 is great to stick in my pocket, I just don't have a real high opinion of the round or the reliability.

John M. Browning carried a .32 caliber pistol everyday. Enough said.