Duty carry a Glock 27 opinions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Duty carry a Glock 27 opinions

PattonT
02-04-2012, 18:40
I really like baby Glocks, a Glock 27 in this case. I am as accurate with it as I am a Glock Service size (G22) or a Compact (G23). I am a full time sworn officer but I may be going back to school fulltime on my GI Bill at which point in time I will drop back down to a Reserve status and work about 20hrs a month. Long story short if you could would you carry a Baby Glock as a primary for road patrol. My Chief says carry what ever you are comfortable with. Almost my entire department carries Glock 22's but only full time are issued them. I don't have enough cash to add another Glock to my personal armory so I would have to sell the 27 to get a Glock 23 or 22 or whatever. What would you do? I would carry it with a Glock factory extension but full size reloads possibly.

ZekerMan
02-04-2012, 18:46
I would have no problem carrying a G27 for your purposes, sounds like the smart thing to do in your situation. Good luck if you decide to go back to school.

dvrdwn72
02-04-2012, 18:49
obviously your quite confident in your 27. carry it. use a 15 rounder as your backup mag.

barth
02-04-2012, 19:18
I really like baby Glocks, a Glock 27 in this case. I am as accurate with it as I am a Glock Service size (G22) or a Compact (G23). I am a full time sworn officer but I may be going back to school fulltime on my GI Bill at which point in time I will drop back down to a Reserve status and work about 20hrs a month. Long story short if you could would you carry a Baby Glock as a primary for road patrol. My Chief says carry what ever you are comfortable with. Almost my entire department carries Glock 22's but only full time are issued them. I don't have enough cash to add another Glock to my personal armory so I would have to sell the 27 to get a Glock 23 or 22 or whatever. What would you do? I would carry it with a Glock factory extension but full size reloads possibly.

Get an X-grip and be happy!
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7149/6596325263_8b1afd8625_z.jpg

DonGlock26
02-04-2012, 20:04
I'd get a used police trade-in G-23 or 22 and a used snubby for school. That's how I roll.

jglsprings
02-04-2012, 20:14
So if you are full time now what do you carry and who provides it for you? If you go part time they won't let you keep your duty weapon? I'm sorry if I'm missing something here. Is the part time with a different agency?

If I couldn't come up with a G23 or G22 on my own I'd use the xgrips (or something like that). I carry two extra G23 mags with spacers for my concealed carry G27.

hsprincipal
02-04-2012, 20:39
Get an X-grip and be happy!
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7149/6596325263_8b1afd8625_z.jpg

I agree. I just ordered an X-grip for my 15 rounder to carry with my G27. Midway USA has them for 12.99.

PattonT
02-04-2012, 21:26
So if you are full time now what do you carry and who provides it for you? If you go part time they won't let you keep your duty weapon? I'm sorry if I'm missing something here. Is the part time with a different agency?
My agency will only issue a weapon to the full time officers. I probably will get to continue to use it until we all requal though. Just not enough Glock 22's for everyone to have one.

I am probably going to just sell the G27 and get a G23 to cover both roles.

G-30Jet
02-04-2012, 22:29
It isn't so much the carryin' or the shootin'.... think about the draw. Firing grip to trigger squeeze in less than two seconds. Although I shoot the 27 very well, I still haven't mastered the draw to my satisfaction. Thus I ocasionally carry it with some reservation.

Big hands and middle age haven't helped any either. Also consider weapon retention, reloading manipulation, clearing drills etc. In the end, it is ultimatey your choice.

Kingarthurhk
02-04-2012, 23:08
Uniform carry should be full size. I say go for the G22. For back up, plainclothes, go for the G27 with G22 magazines for reloads.

"Cold Dead Hands" !
02-04-2012, 23:18
All good !
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/results?q=glock%20230%20yards

Take your choice.

1canvas
02-04-2012, 23:20
My agency will only issue a weapon to the full time officers. I probably will get to continue to use it until we all requal though. Just not enough Glock 27's for everyone to have one.

I am probably going to just sell the G27 and get ag23 to cover both roles.

I think thats the way to go. Although the 27 is a great ccw gun I don't think its ideal for duty. If something goes down you want a firearm that you can get a good full grip on, whether for a better grip on the draw, firing, or resisting a gun grab. In your situation nothing less than ideal will do.

Bill Lumberg
02-05-2012, 06:15
So you're police officer? You listed yourself as former in August but current full time here. What agency are you a police officer for? I think you were looking for Cop Talk. You'll like it there. :) Now, a 23 is tops. I carry a 23c on and off duty. I really like baby Glocks, a Glock 27 in this case. I am as accurate with it as I am a Glock Service size (G22) or a Compact (G23). I am a full time sworn officer but I may be going back to school fulltime on my GI Bill at which point in time I will drop back down to a Reserve status and work about 20hrs a month. Long story short if you could would you carry a Baby Glock as a primary for road patrol. My Chief says carry what ever you are comfortable with. Almost my entire department carries Glock 22's but only full time are issued them. I don't have enough cash to add another Glock to my personal armory so I would have to sell the 27 to get a Glock 23 or 22 or whatever. What would you do? I would carry it with a Glock factory extension but full size reloads possibly.

PattonT
02-05-2012, 09:10
So you're police officer? You listed yourself as former in August but current full time here. What agency are you a police officer for? .
I had a break in service and now I work for a small department with 5 fulltime and about 4 parttime officers. The pay is bottom of the barrel but it does give opportunities that young patrolman don't typically get. It was about all I could get without moving to the other side of the state since my wife has a good job and we have a house here.

I am going to just get a 23 as I really like my old trusty 19(It was grandpa's) and with the PG19 ext on the bottom I think it draws better than my glock 22. I do have a collection of snubbys to carry offduty/backup. The other problem I have is the rangemaster doesn't let us qualify with more than three weapons including the duty weapon
http://www.glockmeister.com/images/pearcegrip19m.jpg

So another question. How many Departments let you qualify with a Glock 22 and then carry any Glock 22? I'm asking if anyone works somewhere that is not serial number specific but just model specific? Ours is serial number specific even though I don't think they copied mine down.

For some reason I don't have the priviledge of starting threads on CopTalk.

ET.
02-05-2012, 09:48
I carry a G27 all day every day. BUT I too think that a 22 or 23 is more suitable for duty carry with the 27 as a back-up. But that's just me...

PattonT
02-05-2012, 09:55
Well something that I left out intentionally is that I believe if all I had was the Glock 27 they may let me keep the Glock 22 longer. It's great having a "free" Glock and even though I prefer a little smaller.

ssharber
02-06-2012, 16:37
My hands are too big for the sub compacts. It sounds though like you are comfortable with them. In the end, if your department will let you keep your issue longer because all you have is the 27 then thats what I would do. The 23 is a perfect fit for my grip and a perfect carry gun for me.

collim1
02-06-2012, 18:25
I would absolutely not carry a baby glock on duty, much less on patrol.

Alot of our detectives carry a G27 on duty, and I dont even like that.

Carry a real gun! Atleast a G19/P229 sized gun and atleast two reloads.

saddlebum
02-06-2012, 18:31
will they not let you carry 9mm, you said you have a g19,i'd carry that

Deaf Smith
02-06-2012, 18:42
Patton,

If you are good with the 27, pack it.

10 shots plus instantaneous reload will do.

But do practice as much as you can, no matter what you carry.

Deaf

Ftttu
02-06-2012, 18:49
When we were allowed to carry .40 cal back in the early '90's, I was very vocal I wanted to carry the new G27 which was about to be released but someone thought it was too small to be carried as a primary duty weapon. So, shortly thereafter, a policy came out that we couldn't carry it on uniformed duty. Recently, a policy came out that we can now carry backup weapons so the G27 in now an option. I could shoot it about as good as a larger Glock but I think their concern was that it may not be accurate due to its small size. Also, their small size may have no intimidation factor so that may also be a factor.

xmanhockey7
02-06-2012, 19:07
I'd carry the G27 and all spare mags would be 15 rounds G22 mags so if I need to toss a buddy a mag in a shootout or another situation it'll work in his G22 and you'll have that many more rounds to put in your G27.

PattonT
02-08-2012, 19:11
will they not let you carry 9mm, you said you have a g19,i'd carry that
It was Grandpas and I would cry if something happened to it.

fastbolt
02-08-2012, 20:15
Hey, I carried a 4013TSW for a while as an issued duty weapon. It has a 3.5" barrel and a 9-rd magazine (making it 9+1 capacity).

How's that different than carrying a G27?

Of course, I could shoot it accurately and effectively, so I didn't require a 4006TSW ...

FourXFour
02-08-2012, 20:44
G27 is perfectly fine. It is a capable gun with acceptable capacity. As others have mentioned, there are many magazine adapters and extenders on the market. Duty holster selection may be limited, but it should fit in 23 or 22 holsters.

Your on the right path. Practice with the hardware you have and continue developing your software by going to school.

mikegun
02-09-2012, 17:38
I'd carry the G27 and all spare mags would be 15 rounds G22 mags so if I need to toss a buddy a mag in a shootout or another situation it'll work in his G22 and you'll have that many more rounds to put in your G27.

Thats exactly what i would do, i shoot a 27 as well as a 22...at times a little better...go figure..