Missouri CCW Renewal Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Missouri CCW Renewal Question

BLau
02-05-2012, 14:49
My CCW is up for renewal at the end of this month. All I got in the mail was a letter telling me it was time to renew. What documents do I need to take with me to the St. Louis County Police? Do I just take in the letter with my current CCW? Thanks in advance.

unit1069
02-05-2012, 17:20
I believe since you already have the CCW license you just go in and renew it. You might take the renewal letter along with you, but if you have been licensed for the past few years you're already in the system. Call up the county sheriff's office and ask them what you need before you go.

BLau
02-05-2012, 18:12
Thank you.

Pop Smoke
02-05-2012, 21:45
I believe since you already have the CCW license you just go in and renew it. You might take the renewal letter along with you, but if you have been licensed for the past few years you're already in the system. Call up the county sheriff's office and ask them what you need before you go.

Not exactly, though it may be true for some Counties.

Usually one must call the Sheriff's Department and schedule an appointment, like you did when you filled out your initial application. They should ask for your name, so inform them that you're up for renewal. And DON'T dawdle on this! Typically most will run a quick NCIC background check to see if anything else has come up in the past 3 years, between your call and the appointment date, then they have you out the day of your appointment in just a few minutes.

Make sure you ask what the renewal cost is and what payment form to bring to your appointment.

Greene County follows this process and it's never taken me more than 15 minutes in-and-out, then it's off to the DOR office.

You should not need your training certificate as it should already be on file. You will need your card that has your CCW endorsement on it, be it the State ID card or a State driver's license card. (I suggest getting it on the State ID card so you have a 2nd form of State-issued ID) And obviously you'll need your payment.

Caver 60
02-05-2012, 23:03
Last time for me, the renewal letter arrived after the license would have expired.

Fortunately I noticed the expiration date just a couple days before. I stopped by the front desk of the sheriffs office and told them the situation. They scheduled me an appointment the next day. I showed up, did the renewal, and was out in 15 or 20 minutes. Got the renewal letter a few days later.

The scary thing was I had just returned from an out of state visit. If I had stayed a few more days, I could have been carrying out of state on an expired license.

I have the next expiration date on my calender in big red letters.

MoneyMaker
02-06-2012, 01:40
In Jefferson county it is walk into the Sheriff office show them your ccw endorsement,fill out a 2 minute piece of paper work,the lady then ask for $50 ,sit down and n 5 minutes you are on your way to License office to get new endorsement,and make sure $50 is excact or they wont bother helping you,they dont give change back.

MoneyMaker
02-06-2012, 01:43
http://www.stlouisco.com/LawandPublicSafety/PoliceDepartment/Information/ConcealedCarry

MoneyMaker
02-06-2012, 01:44
wow stl.county doesnt charge renewal fees you are lucky,cost me $50 each time

MediaMan
02-06-2012, 04:09
I just renewed in STL County...I was the only one in there, took about three minutes to get the renewal approval. No charge. Then off to Department of Revenue office for a renewed State ID with CC endorsement (both expire on the same day in 3 years) card, $4.50 + $1 service charge for using a debit card. Took another five minutes.

drobs
02-06-2012, 04:48
I just renewed in STL County...I was the only one in there, took about three minutes to get the renewal approval. No charge. Then off to Department of Revenue office for a renewed State ID with CC endorsement (both expire on the same day in 3 years) card, $4.50 + $1 service charge for using a debit card. Took another five minutes.

Just wondering did they take a new picture of you for your ID card or did they pull the old one out of their system that is on your DL?

When I got my ID with CCW endorsment on it they took a new picture for that card.

Got a little bit a laugh from that. Moving to MO from Illinois, Illinois had your picture electronically on file. To get a gun card (AKA FOID) you had to send in a passport photo to prove that you are who you say you are but they in turn would send you a FOID card with the picture off your DL on it.

Get the feeling either MO License Offices are not on the internet or they don't have access to a system that stores everyones DL photos.

Caver 60
02-06-2012, 08:14
MO license offices are on the internet. They run your information through MULES before they issue the new card, even though you have the piece of paper that the sheriff just gave you in your hand.

But a picture is so easy to snap and print why store it? Besides people change appearance over the years. Why not have a current picture?

failsafe
02-06-2012, 08:23
Yes, they will take a new picture...

redbaron007
02-06-2012, 08:26
Just wondering did they take a new picture of you for your ID card or did they pull the old one out of their system that is on your DL?

When I got my ID with CCW endorsment on it they took a new picture for that card.

Got a little bit a laugh from that. Moving to MO from Illinois, Illinois had your picture electronically on file. To get a gun card (AKA FOID) you had to send in a passport photo to prove that you are who you say you are but they in turn would send you a FOID card with the picture off your DL on it.

Get the feeling either MO License Offices are not on the internet or they don't have access to a system that stores everyones DL photos.

They generally want a recent photo for the DL and State ID (that's what the DL ofice told me). If they are using the same photo from 6 years ago; there could be some changes.

OP, glad you don't have a renewal fee, mine was $50. Congrats!

:wavey:

red

mcole
02-06-2012, 17:34
i just renewed mine in missouri. no big deal. take your letter and checkbook to your sheriff's office, show the the letter and they pretty much take over from there. mcole

failsafe
02-07-2012, 04:31
i just renewed mine in missouri. no big deal. take your letter and checkbook to your sheriff's office, show the the letter and they pretty much take over from there. mcole

Make sure to check with your County Sheriff to see what method of payment they accept..Should be the same as when you first got your permit...For instance, my Sheriff , no cash or personal checks...Prefered method of payment is a bank check..

BLau
02-07-2012, 11:14
Thanks for all of the replies!

BLau
02-08-2012, 12:31
I just stopped by the St. Louis County PD. I was the only one there and the process took less than five minutes! The best part was that it was free! I was in Columbia, MO the last time I renewed and it cost me over $100 and I had to wait a week for the background check.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine