Best Ammo for home defense [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best Ammo for home defense

whoops dude
02-05-2012, 16:41
I'm going to be setting up a rifle for home defense and this rifle will be for my wife. What do you guys think is the best ammo for HD in .223/5.56 for the ar15 platform?

WoodenPlank
02-05-2012, 17:26
Hornady TAP T2 (LEO only, not the same as TAP FPD - not easy to find), Mk. 262 or clones (commercially available from Black Hills in .223 and 5.56 varieties now, as well as other companies), brown tip clones (available from Asym and Silver State) or Mk. 318 - probably in that order. With longer barrels, other loads become quite viable, as well, like 69gr Sierra Match King loads, soft points, etc. but the first 4 I listed are probably tops in sheer terminal performance.

Edit: I'm sure someone will be along shortly to dispute this, but the above is my opinion - and seems to be agreed with by a lot of knowledgeable people out there.

Jer
02-05-2012, 22:54
I personally run the Hornady TAP but I will also add that 5.56 is 5.56 is 5.56. There really is no magic bullet as compared to handgun calibers where design plays SO much more of a roll. Execution is everything so train train and train some more. When you think you've got it down.... train a little more.

TangoFoxtrot
02-05-2012, 22:57
I'm going to be setting up a rifle for home defense and this rifle will be for my wife. What do you guys think is the best ammo for HD in .223/5.56 for the ar15 platform?

Any round she can effectively deliver to the cranial vault!:supergrin:

22rtf2
02-06-2012, 08:43
Any round she can effectively deliver to the cranial vault!:supergrin:

What he said :wavey:

Gunnut 45/454
02-06-2012, 09:10
Yep just about any good softpoint will do for SD/HD in 5.56mm. I have 55 gr SP and also use the 69 SMK's. All reloads as I don't like paying over a buck a round for TAP.:whistling:

whoops dude
02-06-2012, 10:04
Thanks for your help fellas. She's too intimidated by the 12 gauge and seems to take better to the AR platform.

cowboy1964
02-06-2012, 10:17
75gr Hornady TAP. .223 but still good stuff.

Mk318? Why would you want a penetrator for HD?

WoodenPlank
02-06-2012, 10:21
75gr Hornady TAP. .223 but still good stuff.

Mk318? Why would you want a penetrator for HD?

It's not steel core, and it has better terminal performance than a lot of other loads.

The 75gr TAP in .223 uses a completely different bullet than the LEO stuff, unfortunately.

Jer
02-06-2012, 10:28
Thanks for your help fellas. She's too intimidated by the 12 gauge and seems to take better to the AR platform.

12ga isn't necessarily the best solution for home defense, especially in the hands of a female. When lives are on the line nothing is better than whatever you're most comfortable and accurate with.

WoodenPlank
02-06-2012, 10:38
12ga isn't necessarily the best solution for home defense, especially in the hands of a female. When lives are on the line nothing is better than whatever you're most comfortable and accurate with.

This. A .22 you can shoot well is better than the shotgun you can't hit the broad side of a barn with.

whoops dude
02-06-2012, 15:27
12ga isn't necessarily the best solution for home defense, especially in the hands of a female. When lives are on the line nothing is better than whatever you're most comfortable and accurate with.lol yeah this is the point of this thread. shotgun is for me, ar is for her.

K. Foster
02-06-2012, 15:29
To reiterate what someone else said, there are no magic bullets, it’s shot placement that counts. That said, Plank listed some good choices. You won’t go wrong with TAP or any decent SP. The 318 SOST ammo is new to the scene but from what I’ve read, it seems like a good choice.

Disregarded9-side
02-06-2012, 16:58
I think over penetration should be discussed in this thread.

Ideally, wouldn't you want something that fragments quickly coming out of your rifle with loved ones in the next room?

WoodenPlank
02-06-2012, 17:03

Ideally, wouldn't you want something that fragments quickly coming out of your rifle with loved ones in the next room?

All of the rounds I listed are known for fragmenting quickly - or expanding quickly in the case of the brown tip/5.56 optimized.

As a general rule, rifle rounds will penetrate less interior walls than a handgun round will. I know that sounds backwards, but it's true. I'm sure there are exceptions, however.

Ocean_glocker
02-06-2012, 20:10

I want to hear about this ^^^

DBR
02-06-2012, 22:10
Look here:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

boomhower
02-06-2012, 22:12
LEO TAP is great stuff but horribly overpriced due to availability or lack there of. I'm issued Federal TRU 55gr SP's and just carry it over to home use as well. Any decent SP will get the job done just fine.

guitarded_1
02-07-2012, 18:14
I do think that over penetration is a potentially big issue here. Just my 2 cents - I don't think that a long gun is the best choice for a home defense weapon. A good pistol leaves a hand free to turn on lights, open doors, and fight if necessary. A pistol can also be held in a number of positions that make it much more difficult to be taken away. If a bad guy gets a hold of the end of a long gun (particularly when a less strong woman is holding it), it becomes a big lever that will probably be taken away.

Having said all of that - just about any .223 or 5.56 round would get the job done.

WoodenPlank
02-07-2012, 18:25
I do think that over penetration is a potentially big issue here. Just my 2 cents - I don't think that a long gun is the best choice for a home defense weapon. A good pistol leaves a hand free to turn on lights, open doors, and fight if necessary. A pistol can also be held in a number of positions that make it much more difficult to be taken away. If a bad guy gets a hold of the end of a long gun (particularly when a less strong woman is holding it), it becomes a big lever that will probably be taken away.

Having said all of that - just about any .223 or 5.56 round would get the job done.

With proper ammo, you're less likely to see a through-and-through on a solid chest hit. Possible, but less likely. Most spitzer designs tend to tumble and break up after passing through a couple interior walls. Either situation is possible, but can be reduced with proper ammo and tactics.

Shoulder weapons should be used from a fixed, defended position in your home. This minimizes the chance of getting into a hand-to-hand situation with the perp. If you have to move (ie: going to get the kids, etc) a handgun is the best option. Either way, your priority should be to get behind cover in a fixed position as soon as possible, call the cops, and wait for the cavalry to arrive.

While *many* .223 and 5.56 rounds will do the job, some will do a MUCH better job than others. Some are VERY poor choices for HD/SD use.

Gunnut 45/454
02-07-2012, 18:49
WoodenPlank

"While *many* .223 and 5.56 rounds will do the job, some will do a MUCH better job than others. Some are VERY poor choices for HD/SD use. "

And I say this means any of the 50gr and below bullets- sure they might work but why not go with atleast a 55gr SP on up. The 63-64 gr SP give a little better barrier penertration.

WoodenPlank
02-08-2012, 07:16
WoodenPlank

"While *many* .223 and 5.56 rounds will do the job, some will do a MUCH better job than others. Some are VERY poor choices for HD/SD use. "

And I say this means any of the 50gr and below bullets- sure they might work but why not go with atleast a 55gr SP on up. The 63-64 gr SP give a little better barrier penertration.

Yep, the lightweight varmint rounds were one of the ones I had in mind when I mentioned that some loads are very poor choices. I wouldn't use M855 or M995 for HD, either.