I'm too short... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I'm too short...

circa02
02-05-2012, 18:59
I've recently decided that I feel it's time to get a defensive handgun, not sure about CC however, so after years of treating guns as a intellectual hobby, I went to my local gun store with only practical intentions in mind. And boy am I limited by my size! Every handgun is like a desert eagle to me in terms of every day carry. It really sucks to be an adult man standing only at 5'1 and a half. I went in thinking that both the Walther PPS or the Sig P232 would fit fine on me, and I was totally wrong. Carrying either of those on my person would make me look like I had a wrench in my pocket.
So that leaves me with snubbies, a Sig 238, pocket DAO's, which I wouldn't feel comfortable with, and either the Beretta PX4 subcompact or the Springfield XD subcompact, the only viable "serous" firepower semi's that could possibly conceal on me. I wouldn't take the latter two into concern, but I would like to eventually try IDPA with semi's, which doesn't take 'bugs'.
If there's any other reliable 9mm or bigger handguns with the same dimensions as the Springfield or the Beretta, which aren't DAO, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Being so small makes those handguns that everyone else carries everyday look really intimidating. :( Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

G26S239
02-05-2012, 19:05
Glock 26 and Kahr MK9 are both accurate and reliable. They don't either feel DAO to me.

gunowner1
02-05-2012, 19:17
Try concealing one before you decide on what to buy.I stand at a whopping 5' 4" and easily hide a G19, G30, and a 3" S&W M65. A good IWB holster makes all the difference.

A'boy
02-05-2012, 19:22
Try concealing one before you decide on what to buy.I stand at a whopping 5' 4" and easily hide a G19, G30, and a 3" S&W M65. A good IWB holster makes all the difference.

This.

I'm 5'6 and I can conceal a full size 1911 no problem.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-05-2012, 19:28
Glock 26 and Kahr MK9 are both accurate and reliable. They don't either feel DAO to me.

Yeah, what's the deal against considering a 26 or 27 or the Kahr micros (Mk, PM, CM, 9 or .40) ?

If you want an external safety, then ok. But otherwise?

For IDPA, the 26 holds the competition max of 10 + 1. And shoots as accurately as a fullsize gun.

circa02
02-05-2012, 19:34
I looked at the 26, I can't imagine that being able to be concealed on me. And as I'm first considering this, I don't have a license yet, and here, (CT) you can't touch a gun without it.

hallnh727
02-05-2012, 19:50
I don't know how soon you want to get your cwp but Sig is releasing the p938. I believe it is the same size or a little bigger than the p238. The 938 is SAO and 9mm. I think it is suppose to release in the summer.

circa02
02-05-2012, 20:04
Yeah, I didn't mention that one cause I wasn't sure if you guys knew about it. As for a handgun, for home defense, I would prefer immediately, but I doubt that can happen. Long story. I'm still undecided about CC.

JimBianchi
02-05-2012, 20:12
My wife (5'2") love the feel of my Kahr MK9 and I know Kahr makes some of their small guns with external safety so they are Massachusetts compliant.

With a Crossbreed SuperTuck it should fit/feel great.

hallnh727
02-05-2012, 20:37
hk p2000sk, cz p01, s.a emp

Taphius
02-05-2012, 20:39
Could try appendix style carry, i can conceal just about any handgun in my smart carry.

Sharky7
02-05-2012, 21:16
Give the Kahr CM9 a shot. Very small, moderately priced, yet shoot-able 9mm

Also - make sure to try In the Waistband carry such as the Crossbreed Supertuck style holster. Regardless of your size, you won't have to worry about a barrel sticking out from the bottom of your shirt then.

xmanhockey7
02-05-2012, 21:18
I've recently decided that I feel it's time to get a defensive handgun, not sure about CC however, so after years of treating guns as a intellectual hobby, I went to my local gun store with only practical intentions in mind. And boy am I limited by my size! Every handgun is like a desert eagle to me in terms of every day carry. It really sucks to be an adult man standing only at 5'1 and a half. I went in thinking that both the Walther PPS or the Sig P232 would fit fine on me, and I was totally wrong. Carrying either of those on my person would make me look like I had a wrench in my pocket.
So that leaves me with snubbies, a Sig 238, pocket DAO's, which I wouldn't feel comfortable with, and either the Beretta PX4 subcompact or the Springfield XD subcompact, the only viable "serous" firepower semi's that could possibly conceal on me. I wouldn't take the latter two into concern, but I would like to eventually try IDPA with semi's, which doesn't take 'bugs'.
If there's any other reliable 9mm or bigger handguns with the same dimensions as the Springfield or the Beretta, which aren't DAO, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Being so small makes those handguns that everyone else carries everyday look really intimidating. :( Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The reason those guns looks so big in your pocket is because IMHO unless you have really big pockets/cargo pockets those guns are too big for pocket carry. Idk exactly what you're looking for but a sub compact glock I'm sure you could conceal.

circa02
02-05-2012, 21:35
No no, I didn't mean pocket carry. I meant they would look so big on me, it would LOOK like there was a wrench in my pocket. And I just looked into appendix carry, A style I didn't know holsters were made for. That might very well be right for me. I wish I knew some one around here who could help me get hands on experience with firearms and carry issues.

xmanhockey7
02-05-2012, 21:49
No no, I didn't mean pocket carry. I meant they would look so big on me, it would LOOK like there was a wrench in my pocket. And I just looked into appendix carry, A style I didn't know holsters were made for. That might very well be right for me. I wish I knew some one around here who could help me get hands on experience with firearms and carry issues.

Where are you from? Also don't be afraid to look into other things like maybe a vertical shoulder holster. Granted a good belt and IWB holster will let you conceal many guns even if you're not big.

circa02
02-05-2012, 22:33
Norwalk, Connecticut. It's a 45 minute drive from NYC. I guess this kind of problem is more normally associated with women, huh?

ithaca_deerslayer
02-05-2012, 22:45
Norwalk, Connecticut. It's a 45 minute drive from NYC. I guess this kind of problem is more normally associated with women, huh?

The problem of trying to conceal a gun is normal for everyone.

To some extent it is mental. If you believe you are printing, then you probably will. But if you take a different attitude, then you might not give off any clues, and a bulge is just some stuff under your clothes that nobody notices anyway.

But then there is the general culture within your state. In NYS, for example, I don't beleve my carrying would be taken too well. Even though legal, I would likely be reported to the police, and that investigation would not be pleasant. So I am extra careful about not printing. At the same time I can't be nervous about it, not adjusting, not drawing attention to it.

HarleyGuy
02-06-2012, 00:38
You may want to take a look at the Kel-Tec 9mm.
I was at the gun shop the other day and I noticed one in their case and it looked flatter than the other guns in the case and it was priced very reasonably, at least in comparison to the other semi's.

Turk
02-06-2012, 05:36
How about a Walther PK-380 or Colt's newly-reintroduced Mustang PocketLite 380? I have the Walther and carry it when I have a need for a lighter piece.

Good luck & stay safe!

Bren
02-06-2012, 06:30
after years of treating guns as a intellectual hobby, I went to my local gun store with only practical intentions in mind.

Really? Well, you definitely found the right forum for people who treat guns as a intellectual hobby.

Gun selection guide at 2:00. High Plains Drifter (3/8) Movie CLIP - I'm the Sheriff. And the Mayor. (1973) HD - YouTube Get the big one.

PlayboyPenguin
02-06-2012, 09:33
I am willing to bet the only person noticing when you have a "normal" sized gun concealed on you is you. After awhile that feeling goes away. If you do need something small look at a SIG P290 or a Kahr CM9. SIG also has the P938 coming out which is very small. Otherwise why not go with a snubbie? They are probably the best all around carry guns ever created.

DannyR
02-06-2012, 09:41
I'm 5ft 1in with shoes on and I've been carrying concealed Glocks since 1996. Concealment is an acquired life skill. You cannot make a pistol disappear, but you can create the illusion that you are unarmed. It takes practice, proper attire, proper holster and a positive attitude.

I've carried my Glocks in owb holsters, iwb holsters, pocket holsters, belly bands, fanny packs and brown paper bags, dressing for the occasion. I've even carried a G21 concealed. I have no problem carrying a G39 in a Galco horsehide leather pocket holster when wearing LL Bean cargo pants or cargo shorts.

Rumbler_G20
02-06-2012, 09:46

No, not really. In the last few years I have dealt with a lot of women 5'4" or less who successfully conceal full size full-power defensive pistols every day.

What is missing in your case is professional guidance. You can't really get that at a retailer (gun shop). You need to do what you need to do either way if you have any serious intention of carrying a concealed firearm;

Seek out professional training.

One of those folks can, and will teach you, what you need to know. Not just how to conceal a "real gun" but how to prevail in the use of one should the worst happen. :wavey:

TKOFaith
02-06-2012, 10:20
Ruger's LCP-LM 380 ACP

My boss is picking one of these up today in a 9mm.

PlasticGuy
02-06-2012, 10:26
Get a 1911. It's the best full size pistol for people with small hands.

g26andgtrs
02-06-2012, 10:56

Have you tried on any of the IWB holsters with a blue gun (plastic model) in them? That would give you an idea of how they would fit.

I'm 5'5" and carry a Glock 26 IWB at about 3:30. With a cant of the grip upward, it almost disappears. But you really have to try on the holsters to get an idea of how it will fit you. It always seems bigger and bulkier than it really looks until you get used to it.

I guess my best suggestion is to go with a subcompact that you feel comfortable shooting and then learn to conceal it. Give it at least a couple weeks of carry. It might feel totally awkward and obvious, and you might think everyone must be able to see it. But you get used to the size and weight of it. I felt totally awkward the first week or two of carrying... I was carrying behind the hip at more of a 4-4:30 placement. When I switched to a canted 3:30 position, the pistol melded against my side more naturally. After 7 or so months of carrying every day, I feel naked without it!

High Altitude
02-06-2012, 11:25
Check out the Kahr line of pistols. Slim pistols with very small grips in all dimensions. They also have very nice DAO triggers.

Oramac
02-06-2012, 11:51

+1. Also, shoot them before you buy too. But definitely check out your concealment options before you buy. I conceal a G26 every day with ease. I'm tall, but very skinny, so I thought it'd be tough to do. It's not, given the right equipment.

Shameless plug for the Comp-Tac MTAC IWB holster. It's awesome for CC. I could probably conceal a G17 if I had to.

valian
02-06-2012, 18:18
I have a lot of friends in the Philippines who are your size who carry daily and most of them carry full-size 1911's very discretely. I think you just need to experiment more and read more here and in other sites about how to dress to carry etc. You will not have a problem really. Right now your problem is mostly in your mind and in what you do not yet know.
Good luck

mike28w
02-06-2012, 19:30
I'm 56 years old, 5'3", 160# ( ie: short and chubby) with small hands....

I've tried a bunch of guns but have been happiest with the Glock26 and Kahr PM9... For me, they have been the easiest to conceal with adequate power ( you can get the same frame gun in 40S&W if you want). They also fit my small hands , especially the Kahr.

That being said , I now only CCW my Kahr PM9 and an Hk p7 ( yeah , it's larger and heavier but I like it alot and no one has ever seen it on me)...

I do buy my pants one size larger and wear my shirts untucked and a little on the loose side, but that's true for many folks....

FWIW.... I started CCW with a Keltec 3at (380) and found that I could easily carry this. It built up my confidence enough , so that I was willing to experiment with lager guns.... YMMV mike

circa02
02-06-2012, 21:18
OP here; I should probably clarify something. For concealed carry, I have no problem with a snubbie. I mention non pocket semi auto's because I would like to one day try my hand at IDPA with a semi auto, and not have to buy two different carry guns for each purpose.

JeffS
02-06-2012, 21:48
I am 5'5" 140 lbs. I carry a G26 AIWB (appendix) in either a Dale Fricke Archangel when I don't have to tuck, and a SmartCarry when I do have to tuck. AIWB helps to have a flat stomach compared to your chest. No problem at all for me to carry this way. Don't get ahead of yourself. You will figure it out. Sometimes it just takes time to get there with CC.

mike28w
02-06-2012, 23:47
OP here; I should probably clarify something. For concealed carry, I have no problem with a snubbie. I mention non pocket semi auto's because I would like to one day try my hand at IDPA with a semi auto, and not have to buy two different carry guns for each purpose.

That's going to be a little awkward...... I have no doubt that a gun like the Glock 26 is up to the task , but it will be more challenging for you to compete ( if that is your intention)....if you're simply trying to improve your skills , then shooting what you'd be carrying is an excellent idea.

Fwiw... I was shooting a Kahr PM40 at our local IDPA..... 100 rounds in a couple of hours from a PM40 is a bit much for me.... my hands would tingle for about 36 hours after a match. I don't do that anymore:whistling:

ballr4lyf
02-07-2012, 19:47
I'm 5'9 250 lbs and I can carry a full sized semi-auto with no problems... Now. When I first started carrying, I had issues carrying anything without printing. It didn't matter if I could fit the gun in my pocket or not.

The decision to carry concealed always involves a change in mindset, and oftentimes it involves a change in wardrobe too. At least, it did in my case.

A word of advise: If you plan on carrying on your waist, whether IWB or OWB, the belt is more important than the holster.

circa02
02-07-2012, 20:06
Thanks Ball :)