Talk me into a 300 Blackout Upper [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Talk me into a 300 Blackout Upper

UniversalBrow06
02-06-2012, 00:23
I still need to do some more serious research on this, but in essence I've been wanting a close-mid range cartridge upper for a while now, and a 300 Blk flavored upper seems to fit the bill quite nicely. I'm really hesitant to make a move because I fear:

1.) ammo will be limited, expensive, and hard to find and/or won't be in stock.
2.) the cartridge will lose popularity within the next few years and fade into oblivion

Now I realize no one can exactly gaze into the crystal ball and tell me everything will be alright, but can someone give me some more info on this matter that might shed light on this platform's potential permanent adoption into the mainstream AR world? Will ammo be easier to find? Are there companies soon coming out with an increased variety of ammunition? Is it being adopted by LE/Mil/etc?

Javelin
02-06-2012, 00:39
Get it. You won't look back.

:wavey:

Javelin
02-06-2012, 00:41
Here is a thread with ammo availability lists I put together. Basically the best deal going is $12/box of 115gr ammo but there are TONS of others to choose from in all .308 variety bullets.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1360703

WoodenPlank
02-06-2012, 08:32
Do you reload? Are you going to build an SBR or getting a 16" barrel?

GearGuru
02-06-2012, 08:38
I've got both, apples and oranges, but I prefer my 6.8. That's just me.

Gunnut 45/454
02-06-2012, 10:21
If your just going to run just the supersonic loads your choices of ammo are limited with factory rounds. For what ever reason they are pushing this as a surpressed round. I reload and have no need for surpressed rounds so if you want a thumper in .30 caliber for a SD/HD hunting weapon get it. If you reload your ammo choices go to what ever you wish to load. Understand there is limited load data cause the round is so new but it's growing every day.:supergrin:

UniversalBrow06
02-06-2012, 14:59
Do you reload? Are you going to build an SBR or getting a 16" barrel?

I do not reload but my uncle does. He has reloaded for me, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind doing it again. I've been meaning to get into it myself, if for nothing else to at least cook up some decent 10mm loads for my Colt.

I do not plan to SBR, but I will probably get a can for this gun sometime soon. To be specific, I'm looking at getting the 14.5 Noveske Rogue Hunter. I've already got one in 5.56 and love it.

I'm mostly interested in the 300 because Im looking for an alternative AR round for SD/HD/short range hunting, and this seems to be a good fit for that. I don't see 6.8 SPC ever having any more popularity than it does right now, which I gather is not huge. I'm not a fan of pistol caliber ARs, and I'm not really very impressed with 7.62x39 out of an AR platform. Yet .308/7.62 is a little much for my needs, plus I like the lower receiver, bolt, and magazine compatability of the 5.56 and 300 Blk. I will mostly be buying supersonic rounds, so hopefully the factory offerings will increase.

WoodenPlank
02-06-2012, 15:15
I do not reload but my uncle does. He has reloaded for me, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind doing it again. I've been meaning to get into it myself, if for nothing else to at least cook up some decent 10mm loads for my Colt.

I do not plan to SBR, but I will probably get a can for this gun sometime soon. To be specific, I'm looking at getting the 14.5 Noveske Rogue Hunter. I've already got one in 5.56 and love it.

I'm mostly interested in the 300 because Im looking for an alternative AR round for SD/HD/short range hunting, and this seems to be a good fit for that. I don't see 6.8 SPC ever having any more popularity than it does right now, which I gather is not huge. I'm not a fan of pistol caliber ARs, and I'm not really very impressed with 7.62x39 out of an AR platform. Yet .308/7.62 is a little much for my needs, plus I like the lower receiver, bolt, and magazine compatability of the 5.56 and 300 Blk. I will mostly be buying supersonic rounds, so hopefully the factory offerings will increase.

If you get into reloading, you can reform 5.56 brass for use as 300 brass.

You start to lose some of the advantages of .300 with the longer barrels, IMO. It really shines in an SBR platform, especially when suppressed.

Good news is, if you buy a 7.62 can for the .300 upper, it can also be used with 5.56 uppers.

Willard
02-06-2012, 18:07
Good news is, if you buy a 7.62 can for the .300 upper, it can also be used with 5.56 uppers.

How's that work? Does the gap between the 5.56 round and the 7.62 muzzle allow more sound, compared to using a can made for 5.56? Please explain this to me, cause I'm clueless.

WoodenPlank
02-06-2012, 18:11
How's that work? Does the gap between the 5.56 round and the 7.62 muzzle allow more sound, compared to using a can made for 5.56? Please explain this to me, cause I'm clueless.

The gap between the 5.56 bullet and 7.62 bore does allow more gas to escape, but this is largely offset by the larger amount of baffle space (ie: empty areas) inside the suppressor, giving the gas more room to expand. It may not work quite as well as a dedicated 5.56 can, but it does allow for more flexibility.

Ocean_glocker
02-06-2012, 21:30
The gap between the 5.56 bullet and 7.62 bore does allow more gas to escape, but this is largely offset by the larger amount of baffle space (ie: empty areas) inside the suppressor, giving the gas more room to expand. It may not work quite as well as a dedicated 5.56 can, but it does allow for more flexibility.

Theres a video on youtube posted by Silencerco where they use a .45 & 9mm suppressor on a 300 blackout.

Silencerco's Channel - YouTube

rsilvers
02-07-2012, 19:19
If your just going to run just the supersonic loads your choices of ammo are limited with factory rounds. For what ever reason they are pushing this as a surpressed round.

Not at all. We are pushing it as a normal round. The subsonic ammo is limited to just a few choices. Normal ammo has tons of choices.

Ammunition:
AAC
Atlanta Arms
Barnes
Black Hills
CMMG
Cor-Bon
Custom Reloads of Dallas
Double Tap
Gunn
Hornady
McCourt Munitions
Remington
RUAG
One Shot
PNW Arms
Raven Armament Company
Right 2 Bear Ammo
Sheepdog Ammo
Southern Ballistic Research
Southwest Ammunition LLC
Summit
The Bullet Works
Top Notch Tactical
Ultra Tech (Australia)
Wilson Combat

Gunnut 45/454
02-07-2012, 20:01
rsilvers
I stand corrected- when I did searches for suppersonic unfortunately I didn't see all those availble? The only one I found was AAA that was available. Doesn't matter now as I'm reloading for my 300BKL!

UniversalBrow06
02-07-2012, 21:57
This is all encouraging, I just hope ammo gets more plentiful, in stock, and cheaper. Of these two uppers, which would you take?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/913093/advanced-armament-co-aac-ar-15-a3-flat-top-upper-assembly-300-aac-blackout-762x35mm-1-in-8-twist-16-barrel-with-kac-urx-iii-modular-free-float-quad-rail-handguard-blackout-flash-hider

Or

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/728751/noveske-ar-15-rogue-hunter-a3-flat-top-upper-assembly-300-aac-blackout-762x35mm-1-in-8-twist-16-barrel-stainless-steel-with-troy-trx-free-float-handguard-aac-blackout-flash-hider

I have never owned an AAC upper. My Rogue Hunter on the other hand is pretty amazing. BTW, this is what upper I was saving up for before the 300 Blk caught my eye:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SPR-Mk-12-Mod-0-Bravo-Natural-p/bcm-urg-mk12-0%20pri%20nat.htm