.22 caliber conversion kits [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .22 caliber conversion kits

MrM4Guy
02-06-2012, 01:54
Hello. I am interested in purchasing a replacement for my Browning Buckmark that was stolen with either one of three choices. A- Another Buckmark since I liked the gun very much, and from the sounds of the reviews of my next choice, was more reliable than I thought. It did have FTE's but for the most part was pretty accurate, easy to clean compared to my prior Ruger, and fun to shoot. B- Buy one of these new polymer .22 pistols ( Walther P22 or Sig Mosquito ) but have heard they are very finicky with ammunition. Or B- purchase a .22 conversion kit for my Kimber Warrior II.
Of my choices, I would appreciate any input from the group. Bodyarmorguy, I know that you are gonna read this, so what is your opinion?
I am leaning more towards replacing the Buckmark, but since I love my Kimber, a conversion kit would require no DROS, and the ability to practice with my Kimber platform at a more economical price. If I do go the route of conversion kit, go Kimber? Or is there a better or cheaper one I should consider?
Thanks.
I forgot to add that using a conversion kit for my Glock 19 or 29 is not out of the question.

Hawker Man
02-06-2012, 08:07
For the money I'd go with the Buckmark, that way you would have two guns and would not have to mess with swapping parts. The Buckmark is reasonably priced and a very good gun to boot. The conversions are neat but I personally don't like them. A 45 is a 45 and a 22 is a 22.
"Rock on"

FLIPPER 348
02-06-2012, 09:29
the Kimber conversion rocks

bruzer
02-06-2012, 10:02
My buddy has the Kimber conversion. At first he did not like it so much until he got the ammo it likes to use. He is happy with it now. I have the Tactical Solutions for Glock (they make one for 1911's too) and like it very well. Sure you can get another .22 that will be fun to shoot and reliable but all my .22 shooting keeps the same trigger feel and muscle memory for my carry weapon and fits in my holster. No other .22 can do that.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

Road Dog
02-06-2012, 10:13
I have a Kimber conversion and a Walther P22. I would choose the conversion over the P22.

ken grant
02-06-2012, 12:39
I luv conversions.

AA----- Glocks 19/23,20/21 & 1911----ammo picky

Ciener 1911-------------- works with most ammo

Ciener AR-----------------works with most ammo

Military M261 for AR------- works with most ammo

On the above, I had rather have a complete AR upper because of sight changes I have to make when using the conversions.

GSG 1911-22----------- works great but don't like a well as conversions

Ruger 22/45------------- same as GSG

Lew-G17
02-06-2012, 12:47
My kimber conversion was rock solid reliable. It was fun to shoot, but I sold it to fund a project. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

MrM4Guy
02-06-2012, 16:37
I would address each post separately, but everyone has good advice and I appreciate the response!
I am now down to probably the Kimber conversion or getting another Browning Buckmark.
Again, if I forgot, if the Kimber conversion is ammunition sensitive, what does it like or not like? I prefer to shoot Winchester Power Points out of my 10-22's and have a stockpile of those.

FLIPPER 348
02-06-2012, 16:43
My Kimber happily eats all but the cheapest bulk-22 ammo (American Eagle and the Winchester 333 packs). I did swap out the goofy oversized sights for a sexy set of Champions. It is amazingly accurate for an auto, on par with any other I've shot over the years.

Jason D
02-06-2012, 18:10
I have a Kimber conversion. I have run it on several different frames including Springfields.
It has always been reliable and I have no real complaints about it.

If however I had the choice to do a do over. I would have spent a little more and bought the marvel kit. The steel chamber insert alone is worth the extra.

hercster
02-06-2012, 21:09
While not cheap, take a look at Tactical Solutions. Their unit for the 1911 is all steel and locks back. Because of the weight, it feels "normal" on my steel commander. I got mine with a combo rail so that I can use an RDS. The biggest issue is the cost of the mags. They are superbly designed and finished but pricey. Prices on the conversion vary quite a bit so shop around. If serious about one, PM me for a tip at where to buy.

SigFTW
02-07-2012, 10:47
Kimber conversion kit! Remington bulk and Winchester all work, I do have some FTF however, I am still braking it in and will try some other types of ammo.

RH45
02-07-2012, 15:33
Marvel Unit 1, less than an inch at 50 yards.:wow:

MrM4Guy
02-07-2012, 17:51
Dang it!!! Now that I almost came to a decision, I see that Ruger came out with their SR22. From what I have read, for the newer style polymer type .22 pistols,this is one of the best and digests ammunition the best out of the rest of the pack. Decisions, decisions......

hercster
02-07-2012, 18:05
At risk of the obvious, I think buying a 22 requires some upfront careful though on the intended end use and expectations. Within the conversion unit field, the Marvel Unit 1 will deliver excellent accuracy and a better feel if one moves up to their new steel model with the lock back feature. My experience with an aluminum model was with the SIG unit for my P-226. I found that too light and somewhat light on the quality of construction too. I suspect that the Kimber would feel much the same as it is in the same general category.

My newish 1911 upper by Tactical Solutions is all steel, very accurate and delivers a 1911 feel except for the lack of recoil. Like the Marvel higher end, this conversion is pricey but the quality is obvious.

I've tried a lightweight Polymer framed pistol and was not impressed.

The other proven category is the Ruger Mark III and Buckmark pistols. They are common in my Steel Challenge club, accurate and very dependable.

We are lucky to have so much choice.

glockarmor
02-07-2012, 18:38
Buckmark with aTacSol barrel.. I love mine:)
OR a Rock Island XT22.. If you like 1911s you will love this.
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx293/mp45c/XT22B.jpg
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx293/mp45c/XT22A.jpg

hercster
02-07-2012, 18:50

Speaking of Tac Sol, I have a project in my fevered mind that will mate a Tac Lite upper with a Volquartsen frame and guts. Now yer talkin pardner...

Wheeeee!!

Jason D
02-07-2012, 19:21
Dang it!!! Now that I almost came to a decision, I see that Ruger came out with their SR22. From what I have read, for the newer style polymer type .22 pistols,this is one of the best and digests ammunition the best out of the rest of the pack. Decisions, decisions......

Best out of what?

The SR22 is a new .22 compact pistol to the market.
It it not a tested weapon that has proven itself to be reliable.
It's a gun that some writer in a magazine claimed was the best or whatever. Like any of the mainstream magazines would dare badmouth a gun's sponsor.

It's pretty hard to mess up a .22 conversion kits, as they have been around for decades and decades.

Ruger MK pistols have as well.
Browning too has been around for a long time making quality .22 pistols with a good rep.

I would hold off a year or so to see how the SR22 fares.

CAcop
02-07-2012, 22:07
I bought a Kimber .22 conversion and like it. I had been thinking of a dedicated .22 but I went with a conversion to practice with my duty gun. A dedicated gun might give more accuracy but ut works for my needs.

hercster
02-07-2012, 22:26
I bought a Kimber .22 conversion and like it. I had been thinking of a dedicated .22 but I went with a conversion to practice with my duty gun. A dedicated gun might give more accuracy but ut works for my needs.

I think there's a lot to be said about practicing with a gun that comes closest to feeling like the gun you NEED to be proficient with. Obviously cost has to be a consideration but if a conversion that is close to the weight of your host's slide can be purchased then that's desirable IMO.

My 1911 with the Tac Sol conversion upper feels just as it would with the .45 ACP tube on top.

MrM4Guy
02-08-2012, 13:33
Best out of what?

The SR22 is a new .22 compact pistol to the market.
It it not a tested weapon that has proven itself to be reliable.
It's a gun that some writer in a magazine claimed was the best or whatever. Like any of the mainstream magazines would dare badmouth a gun's sponsor.

It's pretty hard to mess up a .22 conversion kits, as they have been around for decades and decades.

Ruger MK pistols have as well.
Browning too has been around for a long time making quality .22 pistols with a good rep.

I would hold off a year or so to see how the SR22 fares.

You are correct. But this was not my personal or gun magazines endorsement. Just a few posts from a couple of owners.

repo4sale
02-08-2012, 17:19
Sunday before Super Bowl shot 550 Round Brick of Remington 22 through G27 Converted to 22. Sticky 22 Remington bullets, coated with oil. 2-3% junk ammo. Cleaned Kit, and went back Monday to shoot 550 Round Brick of Federal 22. Ammo is clean & dry. So I sprayed some WD-40 on the ammo and gun. 1-2% junk or stuck ammo. With the WD40, the Federal ammo was better than the STICKY Remington.

Roering
02-08-2012, 17:20

Did it come with the idiot scratch? :rofl:

TonyT
02-10-2012, 10:29
If you want more trigger time with your favorite 1911, Glock or CZ-75 then the 22 conversion unit would be the wat to go. If however you want a reliable 22 pistol then go with the Buckmark.

okie
02-10-2012, 11:26
I have the Kimber kit. It doesn't like the Wal Mart value packs, but it loves CCI Mini Mags and Aguila ammo:thumbsup: