Faster Bullets=More Hits? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Faster Bullets=More Hits?

DirtyDan
02-06-2012, 14:06
Dear Mas,

A lot of Instructors are teaching Force on Force gunfight training with airsoft pistols. "Getting off the X", mobility and shooting while moving and the ability to hit a moving target are emphasized. The 9mm is often the preferred round for some of these schools due to it's higher magazine capacity and it's lesser recoil lending itself to faster follow-up shots which would in theory translate to more hits & greater hit potential in a real fight which they believe would likely involve dynamic movement of both parties(at least initially).

First, do you feel that line of thinking has merit?

Second, I recently asked Chuck Taylor what his go-to everyday CCW was and he said it was either a .45 ACP 1911 Colt Commander(no surprise there) OR a 2nd Gen Glock 17 loaded with Corbon DPX 95gr @ 1300 fps. I was very surpprised by his second pick with the very light/very fast bullet choice which he said he carries just as often as his 1911.

The 230 gr .45 ACP slug will probably be traveling at approx. 900 fps.
Will that 400 fps less velocity compared to the 9mm round actually translate to better accuracy & hit potential in shooting a live fast moving target?

Thank you for time,
Dan

Mas Ayoob
02-06-2012, 18:19
Dan, taking your questions in reverse order:

The slower bullet gives no advantage on a moving target; you have to lead it more. Fortunately, at under seven yards, humans can't move fast enough to make leading a big concern. At greater distances, faster bullets become proportionally more advantageous.

I've known Chuck Taylor for decades. I can tell you he's a damn good man to have on your side in a fight, and also a documentably skilled instructor. The fact that he carries a Colt .45 OR a Glock nine simply shows that he's adaptable, and that each platform has its advantages.

A 9mm with lots of bullets versus a .45 with fewer has been a topic of debate for more than a century, and will remain so. Ammo design improvements have benefitted both calibers (and those in between), but have been more important to those with the lesser powered cartridges.

The 9mm's controllability advantage varies between shooters. In close, in skilled hands, the difference is negligible. Speed of accurate fire for the advanced shooter will, however, probably improve with the lighter-kicking round as distance increases, all other things being equal.

Finally, force-on-force training is extremely valuable and, when it's possible, movement can be a life-saving skill.

best,
Mas

DirtyDan
02-06-2012, 19:57
Mas,

At what distances would those fast light bullets actually start showing an advantage?

Thanks again,
Dan