LEOSA, badge required? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LEOSA, badge required?

FiremanMike
02-06-2012, 14:18
Do I need to carry my badge, or does my department ID suffice?

Thanks.

CJStudent
02-06-2012, 14:23
Considering my work only issues badges when on an armed post off the grounds (med trips or bus crew), and we're covered by LEOSA, I'd say your ID should be fine. I hope so; its really all I've got!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Chad Rogers
02-06-2012, 14:27
I believe the requirement is a "photographic identification."

3Speedyfish3
02-06-2012, 14:29
Though my ID has LEOSA language, I still carry the shield. It punctuates the point. Nothing says, "I care," like the tin!

Randall

DaBigBR
02-06-2012, 14:29
You absolutely do NOT need to carry a badge. The only requirement under 18USC926B is: The identification required by this subsection is the photographic identification issued by the governmental agency for which the individual is employed as a law enforcement officer.

Glockdude1
02-06-2012, 14:39
Considering my work only issues badges when on an armed post off the grounds (med trips or bus crew), and we're covered by LEOSA, I'd say your ID should be fine. I hope so; its really all I've got!

http://www.bopmeyers.com/catalog/46

:thumbsup:

Patchman
02-06-2012, 14:52
LEOSA says nothing about a badge.

IGotIt
02-06-2012, 14:59
Okay sooner or later someone was going to do it so I'm jumping in....Badges? We don't need stinkin' badges!

FiremanMike
02-06-2012, 15:02
Thanks guys :)

CJStudent
02-06-2012, 15:04
http://www.bopmeyers.com/catalog/46

:thumbsup:

Oh I have a wallet with the "medallion", but its not technically a badge, lol.

Sharkey
02-06-2012, 15:04
While we are on the subject, Any ideas on what to do if your old agency doesn't want qualify you or issue the credentials?

I qualify w/ 19yrs exp. and a clean record but my last agency was shall we say, very political.

FiremanMike
02-06-2012, 15:16
While we are on the subject, Any ideas on what to do if your old agency doesn't want qualify you or issue the credentials?

I qualify w/ 19yrs exp. and a clean record but my last agency was shall we say, very political.

Hmm, maybe hit up your local sheriff and she if he's interested in helping you out?

Mayhem like Me
02-06-2012, 15:55

All you need from the old agency is the retired ID.. many other agencies will do the requal,,we do a few a year and open them to any retired copper that wants to qualify..

jhooten
02-06-2012, 17:56
Oh I have a wallet with the "medallion", but its not technically a badge, lol.

Don't forget that to be found in possession of a BOP badge while not on a post requiring the issue of a badge is ground for immediate termination.

BOP don't fool around when it comes to their badges.

blueiron
02-06-2012, 17:57

If they do not issue the credentials, you are proverbially stuck. Many qualify, but since they did not officially retire, they get nothing.

If I were you, I'd get the HR or personnel section of the government you worked for to write a general letter stating your job title, your date of hire, your effective date of separation, and the total time served in that position. It may not prevent an arrest, but it may very well defer criminal charges in Court.

steveksux
02-06-2012, 18:21
I think they left badges out of LEOSA on purpose. Its easy to get a badge on Ebay, photgraphic ID is a much more reliable indicator...

Randy

Glockdude1
02-06-2012, 18:21
Don't forget that to be found in possession of a BOP badge while not on a post requiring the issue of a badge is ground for immediate termination.

BOP don't fool around when it comes to their badges.

True, if you have one of the badges given to you while on duty, while carrying a weapon.

If you have one of the medallion id's sold here: http://www.bopmeyers.com/catalog/46 You will NOT be in trouble of any kind.

The Bopmeyers id's are sold in our front lobby of each institution here at FCC Beaumont.

:cool:

CJStudent
02-06-2012, 18:43
True, if you have one of the badges given to you while on duty, while carrying a weapon.

If you have one of the medallion id's sold here: http://www.bopmeyers.com/catalog/46 You will NOT be in trouble of any kind.

The Bopmeyers id's are sold in our front lobby of each institution here at FCC Beaumont.

:cool:

Our employees club sells them as well; most of the higher-ups even use them.

Chad Rogers
02-06-2012, 20:04
Can't private entities qualify you now as long as they are certified by the state to do so? I thought that was one of the enhancements of the LEOSA revision.

sargespd
02-06-2012, 20:46
I addressed the issue of agencies not issuing ID to "honorably separated" officers with the Ohio Attorney General's office a couple of years ago. I suggested that rather than leave officers at the mercy of often hostile employers, that the state, through the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy, make ID's available. They maintain all records of sworn employment, so they would be the perfect agency to issue the ID's. They AG's office response was that they felt it should be left up to the individual agencies. So, maybe now that we have a different AG, I will try again.

nikerret
02-06-2012, 22:11
I addressed the issue of agencies not issuing ID to "honorably separated" officers with the Ohio Attorney General's office a couple of years ago. I suggested that rather than leave officers at the mercy of often hostile employers, that the state, through the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy, make ID's available. They maintain all records of sworn employment, so they would be the perfect agency to issue the ID's. They AG's office response was that they felt it should be left up to the individual agencies. So, maybe now that we have a different AG, I will try again.

There you go, trying to use that damn "logic" thing, again.

Sharkey
02-06-2012, 22:33

Good idea.
Thanks for the other responses.

I still have an ID from the old agency when I separated but I didn't actually retire but I do qualify with 19 yrs with 2 agencies. My TCLEOSE F5 will show that too. I might ask my first agency I worked with since I left on decent terms with them. I have my CHL but that doesn't help me when I travel out of state with a state that doesn't have reciprocity with TX, like Neveda.

igor
02-06-2012, 22:41
i recently saw a bop retired creds. they came in a case with the bop circle thinggy on it. it lookes great and i would have no problem with that she says the agency in dc quals their folks. she was buying ammo to do her qual and expectged to get the leosa card when finished. neat lady.
i have both a retired badge actually 3 asnd retied id cards and our county quals us yearly so no problem. leosa only says a id card

Hack
02-06-2012, 22:50
i recently saw a bop retired creds. they came in a case with the bop circle thinggy on it. it lookes great and i would have no problem with that she says the agency in dc quals their folks. she was buying ammo to do her qual and expectged to get the leosa card when finished. neat lady.
i have both a retired badge actually 3 asnd retied id cards and our county quals us yearly so no problem. leosa only says a id card

They are supposed to qualify according to the standards of the state of residence of the retired officer. BOP and other federal agencies are not supposed to do this, but individual instructors on their own time, receiving just compensation from the qualifying officer may do so; as long as the state, or district in the case of D.C. certifies them.

andy4731
02-07-2012, 17:56
http://www.doubletapshootingrange.com/images/LEOSA-Badge.jpg

andy4731
02-07-2012, 17:59
But seriously, all you need is your ID.

Patchman
02-07-2012, 19:02
I addressed the issue of agencies not issuing ID to "honorably separated" officers with the Ohio Attorney General's office a couple of years ago. I suggested that rather than leave officers at the mercy of often hostile employers, that the state, through the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy, make ID's available. They maintain all records of sworn employment, so they would be the perfect agency to issue the ID's.

I've always maintained, retired LEOSA IDs should be certified and issued by one agency (State Police, Criminal Justice Bureau, State AG's office, whomever) on the state level.

For one thing, when the LEOSA status of a retired cop needs to be verified, they only have to call the one state agency. And with some small departments merging or even closing altogether, retired cops from those closed agencies may be in real trouble.

hoppyjr
02-08-2012, 01:12
In Washington State, the Criminal Justice Training Commission offers a qualification course and issues a state approved LEOSA qualification card. This combined with the department photo ID card will suffice.

I do agree that there needs to be some format to allow otherwise qualified candidates (those who separated honorably, but didn't retire) to obtain the photo ID. While I qualified as retired, there are many other good guys out there who are left out in the cold. I think each state training division (POST/CJTC/DRS/etc) could handle this easily, since they have all the records at the state level. Heck, they could even charge an administrative fee and it wouldn't cost the state to handle this.

posted using Tapatalk

Bill Lumberg
02-08-2012, 07:55
If you're a sworn police officer carrying off duty, your credentials will suffice. A department ID may or may not be credentials. The badge is to identify you to the public. Your credentials identify you to other law enforcement. Do I need to carry my badge, or does my department ID suffice?

Thanks.