Barrel removal, is it hard to do? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Barrel removal, is it hard to do?

Rancher
02-06-2012, 13:29
One of my older AR's has an A2 carry handle and I want to put a flat top on. I have an AR "wrench" that I got once upon a time so I could remove the stock off one of them and think it is a tool used for most AR related stuff. It is heavy and has like a half cresent on one end if that helps.

So, can I do it? I work real well when I have instructions taking me from point a-z.

I'm also wondering if one can buy just a buffer retainer spring and where? I always bugger mine up when removing the stock.

Thanks.

Rancher

FWIW- The rifle is a 93' Colt HBAR.

CarryTexas
02-06-2012, 13:41
Although I have not done it myself, there are a number of YouTube videos that walk you through it... Doesn't appear to be too difficult.

WoodenPlank
02-06-2012, 13:59
You'll need an upper receiver block, vice, and possibly a torque wrench (if you want to make sure the barrel nut is torqued correctly) - a lot of things to buy for a one-time deal. I'd suggest finding a competent gunsmith to do it for you.

Rancher
02-06-2012, 14:17
You'll need an upper receiver block, vice, and possibly a torque wrench (if you want to make sure the barrel nut is torqued correctly) - a lot of things to buy for a one-time deal. I'd suggest finding a competent gunsmith to do it for you.

Was thinkiing the same but with 3 AR's thought I may want to learn more about taking them further apart than just the standard field stripping.

Got to wondering about head spacing as well?? Did not know about a gage for that.

Competent gunsmith may be hard to find around here. I have always found that I can do my own best work cause it is for me and I take my time but this may be too much of a project.

How about the spring question I had?

Rancher

eracer
02-06-2012, 14:37
Don't worry about headspacing. Barrel and bolt determine headspace. You can move a barrel/bolt combo from one upper receiver to another, and headspace won't change.

The easiest and cheapest way to remove a barrel is to clamp the barrel between two 'V' blocks of hardwood in a vise. It's much more secure than just using an upper receiver block in a vise. I myself use a barrel vise in conjunction with an upper receiver block, but in most cases clamping just the barrel will suffice.

You might want to pick up some rosin, which will increase friction between the wood and the metal.

As for the buffer retainer spring - why would you 'bugger it up' when removing the stock? You can remove the pin, the retainer spring, the buffer, and the buffer spring before removing the stock.

Have a good heat gun handy, since the barrel nut may have been put on without any moly grease, and if it was torqued to the max spec of 80 ft. lb., it could be a BEAR to remove. Heating the nut will help in that case. You may even need a propane torch, but if so, go easy...

Why would you 'bugger up' the retaining spring? You can remove the retainer pin, the retainer pin spring, the buffer, and the buffer spring before you remove the stock itself.

Rancher
02-06-2012, 15:04
Eracer, when I took an old standard stock off an AR I used a AR wrench to screw the new stock on and it kept twisting the tiny spring, does that make sense? I had a hard time holding the retaining plate in place while screwing it on. I did it a very long time ago and just remember messing the little spring up. I should have asked for directions then but did not.

Rancher

eracer
02-06-2012, 15:07
Eracer, when I took an old standard stock off an AR I used a AR wrench to screw the new stock on and it kept twisting the tiny spring, does that make sense? I had a hard time holding the retaining plate in place while screwing it on. I did it a very long time ago and just remember messing the little spring up. I should have asked for directions then but did not.

RancherOh, you're talking about the rear takedown pin spring.

Yeah, that one can be a problem. Best bet is to slip a thin piece of metal (like a spark plug gap feeler (remember those...:supergrin:) into the space, capturing the spring as you remove the stock.

Rancher
02-06-2012, 15:45
Oh, you're talking about the rear takedown pin spring.

Yeah, that one can be a problem. Best bet is to slip a thin piece of metal (like a spark plug gap feeler (remember those...:supergrin:) into the space, capturing the spring as you remove the stock.

When I screwed the first one up I just bought an entire lower parts kit just for the one spring, figured the parts may come in handy one day. Still got em' in the basement.

Does anybody know if you can just buy the one spring? I want a spare!

Still thinking about the barrel removal. I got time, how much are we talking in "tools" required?

I sure thought if I removed the barrel from the reciever I would need to do some kind of head spacing but could be wrong. Any good books on the subject? May like that over Utube.

Rancher