Carrying concealed holsters [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carrying concealed holsters

MrM4Guy
02-06-2012, 17:10
I was wondering what everyone prefers for a CCW type of holster. I just started using the Galco Small Of Back Holster for my Glock 19, and find it to be quite good. I did jump the gun ( no pun intended ) when purchasing without getting advice, but the deal was to good to pass up. I like the quality of the leather, and the retention.
Again, anyone have advice? I want to get a holster for my Ruger LCR.

tommytrauma
02-06-2012, 17:39
I've been using a Comp-Tac CTAC for IWB and either a Hideous Holster kydex rig or a Galco matrix snap loop for OWB.

I'd heard about small of the back holsters placing you at risk of a serious low back injury for a few years, but getting involved in Krav really slammed the point home for me. I won't wear anything against my spine. Food for thought.

BudMan5
02-06-2012, 17:46
Seriously suggest that no should ever use a small of the back holster under any circumstances.

In 1997, I was an infantry 1stSgt with the Army and during a night company retrograde training mission while wearing NODs, I went over backwards into a five or six foot drainage ditch and landed on my back. No big deal right? Except i had a parachute flare stuffed into my LBE in, you guessed it, the small of my back. The fall was of enough force to fracture L4, L5 and S1 vertebrae and I was airlifted out of there paralyzed from the waist down. I had a series of surgeries to fuse my spine and it took nine monmths of physical therapy to learn how to walk again in time to be medically retired.

There are no professional firearms trainers any where in the country, training in any aspect (military, LEO, private) who would ever suggest any one use the small of the back to carry a pistol.

Looks real neat on TV and the movies but professionalsdon't do it for just the reason that happened to me.

MrM4Guy
02-06-2012, 18:36
I tend to agree with both of you about potential injury. I have a missing disc in my L4-L5. I also never carried my extra set of cuffs' in my SOB because of discomfort.
I have taken Galcos suggestion on where to rig it though. At around the 4 o'clock position. I even put it on in the 3:30 position with no issues.
Thank you for the replies! I was again wondering what a good setup for my Ruger LCR be. It is light enough to carry in my front pocket, but......

up1911fan
02-06-2012, 18:47
Congrat's on picking the worst possible position to carry your gun.

SigChef
02-06-2012, 18:55
Raven concealment with inside waist band loops.

MtnBiker
02-06-2012, 19:03
I've been using a Comp-Tac CTAC for IWB

I use the same rig for IWB with my S&W 642. 4 o'clock works best for me. It's so comfortable I've taken many naps with it in place.

xmanhockey7
02-06-2012, 19:03
If your LCR is for pocket carry I'd suggest the DeSantis Nemesis

JeffS
02-06-2012, 21:52
AIWB Dale Fricke Archangel or SmartCarry works for me.

Lior
02-06-2012, 21:59
A CTAC or MTAC or similar IWB for a specific supported gun model, a Remora for a generic gun or with a laser on its dust cover, or a Smartcarry if you wish to run or are really serious about concealing.

Edited to add: I fancy myself as a bit of an amateur exhibition runner for Concealed Protection 3 Inc. (no actual affiliation), so yesterday evening I had a pleasant 8 mile cross country run with my full sized CZ SP01 Phantom + Lasermax Micro on its rail, in a SmartCarry, with no discomfort.

mingaa
02-06-2012, 22:02
I like Hume leather for IWB most popular is a Kahr CW9 + mag #2 on belt if possible or pocket carry otherwise.

Uzi4U
02-06-2012, 23:12
Milt Sparks versamax2, comp-Tac Mtac or Galco king tuk are my three favorites IWB holsters.

MrM4Guy
02-06-2012, 23:19
Congrat's on picking the worst possible position to carry your gun.

Has anyone ever told you that a person has the ability to have more than one pistol, one holster, and one carry position. Jeez, didn't your mother ever give you the sage advice about if you don't have anything positive to say, then shut the F&%K up?

To everyone else with the helpful comments, thank you!

HarleyGuy
02-07-2012, 00:56
Through the years I've slowly changed from a 3:30 carry to a 3:00 carry using either a Milt Sparks "Summer Special", Executive Companion", or a VMII for my G27, Kimber Ultra CDP or S/W 642.
Riding in a car makes anything farther back than the 3:00 position uncomfortable and also very difficult to pull the weapon if needed.

Depending on your build and the size of the gun that you may choose to carry, an appendix carry holster may be a holster for you to consider.

However, I most always have my Kel-Tec .32 in my front pants pockets just in case.

knoxrocks222
02-07-2012, 01:10
Comp-Tac CTAC with G23

MrM4Guy
02-07-2012, 04:03
Through the years I've slowly changed from a 3:30 carry to a 3:00 carry using either a Milt Sparks "Summer Special", Executive Companion", or a VMII for my G27, Kimber Ultra CDP or S/W 642.
Riding in a car makes anything farther back than the 3:00 position uncomfortable and also very difficult to pull the weapon if needed.

Depending on your build and the size of the gun that you may choose to carry, an appendix carry holster may be a holster for you to consider.

However, I most always have my Kel-Tec .32 in my front pants pockets just in case.

I have a Bianchi side holster made with saddle grade leather for my HK USP 45 compact, and I like it. I just had an offer I couldn't refuse on the SOB Galco ( free ), which is why maybe I was a touch rude to up1911fan's post.

Do you have a pocket holster for your Kel-Tec .32? I was thinking of getting a Galco pocket holster for my Ruger LCR so that I can break up the outline, and so I don't have an exposed trigger in my pocket for safety reasons. Galco has a neat little leather hook designed into the pattern so that when you draw the pistol and apply a little downward pressure, the hook should grab your pocket and all your hand comes out with is your pistol. Presto!!!

MrM4Guy
02-07-2012, 04:04
So many guns, so little time.... Isn't life grand?

HarleyGuy
02-07-2012, 14:24
I have a Bianchi side holster made with saddle grade leather for my HK USP 45 compact, and I like it. I just had an offer I couldn't refuse on the SOB Galco ( free ), which is why maybe I was a touch rude to up1911fan's post.

Do you have a pocket holster for your Kel-Tec .32? I was thinking of getting a Galco pocket holster for my Ruger LCR so that I can break up the outline, and so I don't have an exposed trigger in my pocket for safety reasons. Galco has a neat little leather hook designed into the pattern so that when you draw the pistol and apply a little downward pressure, the hook should grab your pocket and all your hand comes out with is your pistol. Presto!!!

Funny you should ask because I was just thinking about editing my post to include that I do use a pocket holster for my Kel-Tec.32.
In fact I have two holsters (both L.H.) one is leather and pretty expensive and one is fabric and very affordable.
I discovered that with the leather holster's rounded bottom in larger pockets it tended to rotate which put the grip of the in an awkward drawing position.
The fabric holster has a more square bottom and it to will rotate in larger pocets but not as easily or as often.
I'll check into the Galco pocket holster.

tuica
02-07-2012, 14:27
And the pistol is difficult to control and access! I would imagine that a great number of CCWr's carry at, or near, 3 o'clock. After trying many OWB holsters, I use Glock's Sport/Combat holster. Good Luck.Seriously suggest that no should ever use a small of the back holster under any circumstances.

In 1997, I was an infantry 1stSgt with the Army and during a night company retrograde training mission while wearing NODs, I went over backwards into a five or six foot drainage ditch and landed on my back. No big deal right? Except i had a parachute flare stuffed into my LBE in, you guessed it, the small of my back. The fall was of enough force to fracture L4, L5 and S1 vertebrae and I was airlifted out of there paralyzed from the waist down. I had a series of surgeries to fuse my spine and it took nine monmths of physical therapy to learn how to walk again in time to be medically retired.

There are no professional firearms trainers any where in the country, training in any aspect (military, LEO, private) who would ever suggest any one use the small of the back to carry a pistol.

Looks real neat on TV and the movies but professionalsdon't do it for just the reason that happened to me.

2afreedom
02-07-2012, 14:43
And the pistol is difficult to control and access! I would imagine that a great number of CCWr's carry at, or near, 3 o'clock. After trying many OWB holsters, I use Glock's Sport/Combat holster. Good Luck.

I just picked one of these lil holsters up and I like it more every time I use it. What a great holster for pocket change.

werkz
02-07-2012, 15:57
I've been carrying 4 o clock OWB in a kydex holster I made (similar to Raven). I'm now carrying high and forward OWB (appendix OWB). I prefer 4 o clock for up & about, and appendix if I'm driving a lot.

MrM4Guy
02-07-2012, 17:34
And the pistol is difficult to control and access! I would imagine that a great number of CCWr's carry at, or near, 3 o'clock. After trying many OWB holsters, I use Glock's Sport/Combat holster. Good Luck.

After a couple of days of experimentation, the 3:30 position has been fine. I do not recommend this combo for summer wear with light clothing due to printing issues. With a jacket or longer, thick shirt, no problem.

Again, in the summer, I will stick with my Ruger LCR! :cool:

tuica
02-08-2012, 15:17
I find that if you wear one shirt (polo type?) over the holster, and an open shirt over that, you have good ease of access, with good coverage of firearm. Even in summer, you can generally wear fairly light garments with no heat discomfort. Small to med dark checkered cloth pattern on overshirt will also help break-up that tell-tale pistol outline. Good Luck in your carrying.

smitty704
02-08-2012, 15:28
I carry my G19 in a crossbreed supertuck at 4:00/4:30ish, and couldn't be more comfy! It has been 100% for me so far.

I wouldn't even think about carrying small of back. It doesn't seem to be a good position to carry unless you are morbidly obese and the waist isn't an option. My advice, change the position of your carry gun. ;)

pipedreams
02-08-2012, 15:54
I want to get a holster for my Ruger LCR.
With a small gun such as the LCR you don't need some massive IWB holster system. A simple leather or kydex holster will work fine. If your interested in kydex take a look at some of our members products. coachg and others make some nice products at a reasonable price and fast service.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1376194&highlight=coachg

http://pjholster.com/

MrM4Guy
02-09-2012, 03:44
I find that if you wear one shirt (polo type?) over the holster, and an open shirt over that, you have good ease of access, with good coverage of firearm. Even in summer, you can generally wear fairly light garments with no heat discomfort. Small to med dark checkered cloth pattern on overshirt will also help break-up that tell-tale pistol outline. Good Luck in your carrying.

I like the fact that you brought up using shirts with a pattern to help break up the printing. I haven't thought of this for years. A good reminder for me and knowledge for everyone!
Thanks!

Yang332
02-09-2012, 08:01
Just bought a Galco King Tuk for my 23. Love it.

Citroen
02-09-2012, 10:03
Like most on here, I have carried a gun for many years. During the time I had to wear a suit every day, I carried a full sized 1911 in a small of the back holster made for "palm out" - never had an issue and found it actually quite comfortable.

Since then I have gone through enough holsters to fill a dresser drawer. IWB works best in our part of the country due to temperature most of the year; I like leather not plastic (but the Glock Sport holster is great and a bargain too) so my most recent came from Ryan Grizzel and it is a work of art and reasonably priced.

I doubt that you can avoid the "trial and error" factor in holster selection but a good belt is the platform you must have - everything else is just personal preference and don't let anybody change your mind - if it works for you, it works.

John
Charlotte, NC

dosei
02-09-2012, 10:56
I prefer Kydex IWB holsters made for strong-side or appendix carry. Current personal all-time favorite holster is the Braveheart by KyTac. I've tried ones from Comp-Tac & RCS, found them to be much less comfortable and less concealable than the Braveheart. But with the Braveheart being almost impossible to get anymore, I suspect that my next IWB will be a FIST #20 Adjustable IWB with the Hybrid option (FIST Hybrid holsters are leather on the outside, bonded to a kydex interior. A perfect union, IMHO).

mikegun
02-09-2012, 11:34
I have for years carried my kel tec 380 in my right rear pocket, in and out of uniform, in a leather pocket holster, " you want my wallet, ok MFer,here it is" it is also the fastest way to get to this BU gun IMHO...

tuica
02-09-2012, 15:11
Thanks for the note. Try to pass on lessons learned through carrying concealed (nearly every day), for three years now. And I have learned a lot on this forum from others. Stay Safe.I like the fact that you brought up using shirts with a pattern to help break up the printing. I haven't thought of this for years. A good reminder for me and knowledge for everyone!
Thanks!

robert91922
02-09-2012, 16:07
With a small gun such as the LCR you don't need some massive IWB holster system. A simple leather or kydex holster will work fine. If your interested in kydex take a look at some of our members products. coachg and others make some nice products at a reasonable price and fast service.

:thumbsup: +1

MrM4Guy
02-09-2012, 16:43
Like most on here, I have carried a gun for many years. During the time I had to wear a suit every day, I carried a full sized 1911 in a small of the back holster made for "palm out" - never had an issue and found it actually quite comfortable.

Since then I have gone through enough holsters to fill a dresser drawer. IWB works best in our part of the country due to temperature most of the year; I like leather not plastic (but the Glock Sport holster is great and a bargain too) so my most recent came from Ryan Grizzel and it is a work of art and reasonably priced.

I doubt that you can avoid the "trial and error" factor in holster selection but a good belt is the platform you must have - everything else is just personal preference and don't let anybody change your mind - if it works for you, it works.

John
Charlotte, NC

I tend to agree on the leather for a couple of reasons. One, leather seems to mold to a persons unique body and everything else, and generally will 'break in' where plastic does not. Two, if a person ever needs to be secret squirrel when drawing their pistol i.e. someone else is being harmed and you are not in the immediate attention, a plastic holster in my experience makes noise where as a leather holster is far more quiet. Leather holsters are kind of like the conservative persons Birkenstocks! :rofl:

MrM4Guy
02-09-2012, 16:45
I have for years carried my kel tec 380 in my right rear pocket, in and out of uniform, in a leather pocket holster, " you want my wallet, ok MFer,here it is" it is also the fastest way to get to this BU gun IMHO...

Love it! :whistling:

big_cigar
03-09-2012, 09:24
any suggestions for the Ruger LCR waistband type soft holster?

jellis11
03-09-2012, 09:39
I used to carry in the small of my back but the more I read the more I found people that have been hurt. I carry around 4 o'clock now in a king tuk

KentuckyPatriot
03-09-2012, 10:12
After a couple of days of experimentation, the 3:30 position has been fine. I do not recommend this combo for summer wear with light clothing due to printing issues. With a jacket or longer, thick shirt, no problem.

Again, in the summer, I will stick with my Ruger LCR! :cool:

Just a thought regarding printing as some of your comments make it appear (to me at least) that you are somewhat new to carrying.

Understand that most all of the folks you will encounter during an average day would not notice if you concealed a howitzer under your shirt...stick one in your shorts and perhaps you will get noticed, but not under your shirt.

It is along the lines of psychological awareness and understanding what is being viewed. The vast majority have no personal experience with a concealed firearm, therefore they no nothing of what it looks like, where it could be carried, etc. Before recognizing a shape and attaching a name to that shape, the brain must have experience/understanding of that shape in the past. Thus most folks will see a slight bulge and attach the thought that it must be a cell phone or other non-gun device...even if you touch it on occasion to keep your pants up.

The one's that will notice are those familiar with guns. If you are printing badly you might have someone walk up to you and tell you that your cell phone is showing...or something along those lines. Perhaps they will want to talk shop...but in all my years of carrying I have NEVER been "made"...not even by the police officers that were at a scene I was photographing.

Bottom line...stick it where ever you are going to carry and get on with life. I would second never carrying past the 5:00 position (when right-handed) for a couple reasons...one your physical health, and the other from a tactical standpoint that involves being on the ground or backed up to a wall or other solid object. In both cases it will be hard to get to your gun when you need it without some ability to employ physical fighting skills.

YMMV...

MrM4Guy
03-10-2012, 02:10

For the LCR, I was thinking more of something to just slip in my pocket and break up the outline. Maybe something that looks like a wallet in my front right pocket.

argy1182
03-10-2012, 03:04
Seriously suggest that no should ever use a small of the back holster under any circumstances.

Wow that's terrible. Thank God you learned to walk again. Thanks for your service.

crash_gsxr750
03-10-2012, 06:17
Tommy theis iwb carrying a G30 around 3:30-4:00 and find that I can carry all day very comfortably

pipedreams
03-10-2012, 08:09
For the LCR, I was thinking more of something to just slip in my pocket and break up the outline. Maybe something that looks like a wallet in my front right pocket.
This is a couple pictures of a pocket holster for my LC9 made by the same guy. The LC9 is a bit big for most pockets but it will give you an idea what you might be looking for. Note the back side it textured to help grip the pocket and breaks up the outline.

shockglock
03-10-2012, 08:50
I have not carried for very long, but I already have an assortment of holsters. Started with a Tagua IWB SOB palm out and a Tagua IWB at 4 o'clock. Now I carry my G26 with a Galco Kingtuk at 4 o'clock. The best one I've found is the Fusion Pac by Tacti Pac for my CM9. It doesn't rely on a belt at all and is extremely comfortable. My next holster purchase wil be a Fusion Pac for my G26.

New Glocker
03-10-2012, 11:11
I use a Tennessee Holster Co. IWB for my G23. It has an adjustable cant so you can use it in a crossdraw location as well.