Brand new Colt 6720! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Colt 6720!

G30Mike
02-06-2012, 17:34
Traded in my DPMS Sportical on a brand new Colt 6720 today. Haven't even fired it yet. Came with all the Magpul hardware already installed, Magpul BUIS, Colt free float forend, Magpul stock, grip, and foregrip. Also had 2 Pmags in the package. Gave my Sportical and $650 for it at my LGS. After I did a lot of research I found that I wanted one of these over a plinking rifle. Just thought I'd share and make sure I did good.

Javelin
02-06-2012, 17:36
You did pretty well in that trade. Tell us how it shoots! I have not personally seen a 6720 but Grant @ G&R tactical has been talking them up something big.

G30Mike
02-06-2012, 17:46
From what i hear its the same thing as the 6920 except the 6720 has the "pencil" barrel instead of the M4 profile barrel.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

G30Mike
02-06-2012, 17:49
Couple of cell phone pics....
http://img.tapatalk.com/42570072-74d2-e440.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/42570072-74f8-f577.jpg

Patriot III
02-06-2012, 19:20
Nice rifle. That's the first 6720R that I've seen. Enjoy it!

cyphertext
02-06-2012, 20:49
Very nice!

Javelin
02-06-2012, 20:50
What glass is that?

MrVvrroomm
02-06-2012, 21:01
Congrats, nice rifle.

JaPes
02-06-2012, 21:14
Congrats!

Contact
02-06-2012, 21:43
Well I found 2 sporticals on Bud's Gun Shop, one sells for 560, the other sells for 920, so I guess which one you had would determine how good of a deal you got. :supergrin:

I've heard they are great rifles though, just a bit too spendy for a guy like me. I could see myself trading my M&P15 Sport in a few years towards one though if I absolutely had to have a Colt.

G30Mike
02-06-2012, 22:25
What glass is that?

Hopefully I'm not mistaken you're referring to the scope.
Its actually a $60 Wal-Mart cheapie with a lighted red or green reticle. Its actually not a bad scope at all, holds zero very well when I took it off the DPMS to use my optic. I had a cheap optic I sold my brother in law because I have the irons on this rifle.
At some point I want to get an Aimpoint for this.
I don't know much about scopes, so this one will have to do for now, and yes it sucks having such a cheap scope on such a nice weapon, but getting the rifle alone went to my spending limit for right now.

Well I found 2 sporticals on Bud's Gun Shop, one sells for 560, the other sells for 920, so I guess which one you had would determine how good of a deal you got. :supergrin:

I've heard they are great rifles though, just a bit too spendy for a guy like me. I could see myself trading my M&P15 Sport in a few years towards one though if I absolutely had to have a Colt.

The gun shop that sold me mine ripped my head off for it. $750 for the rifle with a 4 rail forend. I bought it not knowing as much about ARs as I do now. Never had any problems with it, but after a lot of research I had to get something better just for my own peace of mind.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Patriot III
02-06-2012, 22:31
I could see myself trading my M&P15 Sport in a few years towards one though if I absolutely had to have a Colt.

It's inevidable. Might as well do it now. :cool:

ethnocentric
03-26-2012, 02:20
The stock is not magpul, it a super rogers. the rails are troy. nice rifle I just bough one myself

G30Mike
03-26-2012, 02:56
Yeah, after joining over at M4Carbine I learned more about it. Congrats on yours, they are very nice. No regrets here.

LA_357SIG
03-26-2012, 09:49
Yeah, after joining over at M4Carbine I learned more about it. Congrats on yours, they are very nice. No regrets here.

What all did you learn over on M4C that made you trade in an entire DPMS for a Colt? I hope you didn't trade it in just to be accepted by those guys or out of fear of ridicule.

If it were me, I would have taken the lower to a gunsmith to ensure the castle nut was properly torqued, bought a "milspec" :upeyes: upper from PSA (if you think 11595E barrel steel and HP/MPT is going to magically improve what you do behind the trigger) and sold the DPMS upper in the EE. But I guess having a bunch of Tier 1 tools gush over your new M4C approved gear is it's own reward.

moishlashen
03-26-2012, 11:09
Congrats on the Colt-I love mine.

G30Mike
03-26-2012, 13:46
What all did you learn over on M4C that made you trade in an entire DPMS for a Colt? I hope you didn't trade it in just to be accepted by those guys or out of fear of ridicule.

If it were me, I would have taken the lower to a gunsmith to ensure the castle nut was properly torqued, bought a "milspec" :upeyes: upper from PSA (if you think 11595E barrel steel and HP/MPT is going to magically improve what you do behind the trigger) and sold the DPMS upper in the EE. But I guess having a bunch of Tier 1 tools gush over your new M4C approved gear is it's own reward.

:rofl:
Nah, I don't buy things to impress others.

I bought the DPMS for too much on the words of a guy at my LGS. If I wasn't such an impatient person I could have sold the DPMS on Armslist or something, but I'm the type of person that has to have something right now, which isn't necessarily a great attribute. Plus the fact that I lost enough money just buying it for $750 and then seeing the exact same thing at Wal-Mart a week later for $587.

I don't think I came out too bad on the trade, over 1500 rounds through the Colt now with not a single malfunction.
The DPMS wouldn't feed steel for anything, several FTF with it. I mainly shoot brass anyway, but I want a rifle that will eat anything I put in in, which the Colt does nicely. I want something I can depend on, and Colt has a good track record for it, DPMS, not so much.
I did a little homework and bought what I wanted because I could. Same reason I buy "top tier" handguns, such as Glock, Sig, or H&K. I wouldn't trust my life to a Lorcin, Jennings, or Cobra, the same way I wont trust my life or family to DPMS, Bushmaster, or Olympic.
Sure, there are other AR's just as good or better than the Colt, but the LGS didn't have anything else "top tier" like BCM, DD, or Noveske sitting on their shelf. Colt is just as good IMO. It performs as "advertised' and that's all I want. I don't plan to sell it, so the $1375 I basically have in it doesn't bother me when I trust this one is going to go bang every time.
Its just money anyway, I can always get more. :D

steve1911
03-26-2012, 22:49
Congrats!

1911club#410

ethnocentric
03-27-2012, 00:35
:rofl:
Nah, I don't buy things to impress others.

I bought the DPMS for too much on the words of a guy at my LGS. If I wasn't such an impatient person I could have sold the DPMS on Armslist or something, but I'm the type of person that has to have something right now, which isn't necessarily a great attribute. Plus the fact that I lost enough money just buying it for $750 and then seeing the exact same thing at Wal-Mart a week later for $587.

I don't think I came out too bad on the trade, over 1500 rounds through the Colt now with not a single malfunction.
The DPMS wouldn't feed steel for anything, several FTF with it. I mainly shoot brass anyway, but I want a rifle that will eat anything I put in in, which the Colt does nicely. I want something I can depend on, and Colt has a good track record for it, DPMS, not so much.
I did a little homework and bought what I wanted because I could. Same reason I buy "top tier" handguns, such as Glock, Sig, or H&K. I wouldn't trust my life to a Lorcin, Jennings, or Cobra, the same way I wont trust my life or family to DPMS, Bushmaster, or Olympic.
Sure, there are other AR's just as good or better than the Colt, but the LGS didn't have anything else "top tier" like BCM, DD, or Noveske sitting on their shelf. Colt is just as good IMO. It performs as "advertised' and that's all I want. I don't plan to sell it, so the $1375 I basically have in it doesn't bother me when I trust this one is going to go bang every time.
Its just money anyway, I can always get more. :D

Co Signed......very well spoken. I'm taking my rifle to the range sunday to measure performance.

moishlashen
03-27-2012, 05:45
Your money your choice bud. Sounds like somebody has Colt envy-go MilSpec or go home I always say :)

harleytech
03-27-2012, 05:49
Nice Rifle..!

Glock 1
03-27-2012, 08:16
Congrats! I love mine too. When I leave the range, I want to go right back. :supergrin:

LA_357SIG
03-27-2012, 15:47
Your money your choice bud. Sounds like somebody has Colt envy-go MilSpec or go home I always say :)

If you are referring to me, I do not have Colt envy. I do however have a problem with sites like M4C telling every new shooter that if you have an AR-15 that does not meet the TDP specs of Colt then his/her AR-15 is not acceptable and will not function properly in a life or death situation. Most "Mil-Spec" testing for AR parts and assembly are valid. The rest like 11595-E barrel steel, 1-7 twist, individual HP/MPT testing, parkerizing under the FSB :upeyes:, and full auto bolt carrier are more "what the cool kids have" than anything relevant when involving semi auto AR-15's. The black extractor insert, H buffer, upgraded extractor spring and everything needed for reliable function is only limited to carbine length gas systems and most problematic carbines don't even have proper diameter gas ports drilled. Personally, I run mid and rifle length D.I. AR-15's and guess what.....? The midlengths all function properly with S/A carriers and standard carbine buffers.

Anyway... As for Colt: I still say **** them since before the ban. I refuse to suck the teet no matter how much they changed toward marketing towards civilians since thier bread and butter sole source contract isn't so secure. YMMV.

ETA: I am not against "mil-spec" parts. With prices being so close to commercial parts it does make more sense to get the "mil-spec" parts. Having them doesn't magically make your weapon infallable. Not having them will not make your weapon fail outside of the range.

Two Guns
03-27-2012, 17:15
Congrats man.

Cole125
03-27-2012, 18:16
Nice upgrade you got! :cool:

I would recommend a rear backup sight, and possibly a Military Grip Pod instead of the bi-pod and vertical for grip you have. I love mine.

http://www.valhallaarmory.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/grippod-mounted.jpg

G30Mike
03-27-2012, 18:57
Nice upgrade you got! :cool:

I would recommend a rear backup sight, and possibly a Military Grip Pod instead of the bi-pod and vertical for grip you have. I love mine.

http://www.valhallaarmory.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/grippod-mounted.jpg

Yours looks great. I actually took the scope off and put on a TruGlo red dot for now, until I gather funds for an Aimpoint, with the MBUS sights.
Here's a pic without the red dot.
http://img.tapatalk.com/4257027c-61e7-0000.jpg