"Law enforcement only" ammo use by CCW holders [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "Law enforcement only" ammo use by CCW holders

G20fan
02-06-2012, 18:10
Hi,

I've read your books and articles since the 1980s. Thank you very much for all the help you've been to and for the law abiding public.

Two questions, please:

First, do you think there would likely be any problem or issue with a CCW holder involved in a justifiable shooting having used "law enforcement only" ammo in their auto pistol? I'm thinking especially about the Winchester Ranger T +p+ and Federal HST ammo.

Second, do you think it unwise to use a S&W 638 with a shrouded hammer instead of a DAO S&W 642? I read stuff years ago about people being (presumably falsely) accused of negligently shooting people after having cocked the hammer of their revolver. I'm wondering if you view this as a real concern today.

Thank you very much!

Take care,

Louis

Mas Ayoob
02-06-2012, 18:37
Louis,

Taking your questions in order:

First, I've never seen the "police only JHP ammo" argument come up in court. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened or can't happen, just that I've never seen it. However, I know many private citizens who carry Winchester Ranger and Federal HST, including my significant other, who got it from me. Since there is no law against it, the defense I would personally suggest is, "If the police determined it was the best ammunition for them to use to protect people like me and my family, it seemed obvious that it was the best ammunition for ME to use to protect myself and my family."

Second, as to double action only versus double/single action revolvers: I saw the false allegation of "cocked hammer, ergo negligent discharge" often enough that I still carry double action only with my backup revolver, and respectfully recommend the same to others. In the J-frame S&Ws you mention, the higher backstrap on the "hammerless" DAO designs also allows a higher hold that proportionally lowers the bore axis, giving you better recoil control in rapid fire...something you're much more likely to need with such a gun than a cocked hammer, IMHO.

best,
Mas

G20fan
02-06-2012, 20:23
Thank you very much! I'm taking what you said to heart. DAO it is.

Take care and best wishes to you and yours,

Louis