Another Battery Charging Device...You. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another Battery Charging Device...You.

Bolster
02-07-2012, 08:51
"Vibration Harvesting Technology." Shake-weight meets toilet paper roll holder?

http://www.npowerpeg.com/

http://www.npowerpeg.com/images/peg%20w%20drop%20shadow%20lo%20res.jpg

Kieller
02-08-2012, 11:27
Unique to say the least...

It doesn't give a definite output for walking x distance for x time yielding x watts. Seems a little too good to be true but its hard to tell. It uses springs to amplify oscillations which is converted into power (according to their website).

I wonder if you woudl get more power out of it if you didn't wear sneakers :supergrin:

Atomic Punk
02-08-2012, 12:51
i dont think it would generate much power. but i like the idea, potentially useful. i remember hearing something last year about the us military exploring the idea for backpacks. adding a similar device between the backpack and the straps. so as the bag bounces on your back generates power.

RichJ
02-08-2012, 14:20
Why doesn't someone just make a hand-crank generator? Something with a handle on it that you turn, kinda like the crank on an old fashioned telephone? Seems like that would work well.

Bolster
02-08-2012, 14:24
I think the selling point of this device is, it charges while you go about doing other things you were going to do anyway.

So it's sort of an energy "free ride," a passive technology.

Regards the amount of energy you get, website says:

• 1 minute of walking provides approximately 1 minute of listening time on an iPod Nano

• 11 minutes of walking provides approximately 1 minute of talk time on a 2G phone call (iPhone 3G)

• 26 minutes of walking provides approximately 1 minute of talk time on a 3G phone call (iPhone 3G)

(I didn't know that 3G used so much more energy...! What about 4G?)

racerford
02-08-2012, 21:24
Why doesn't someone just make a hand-crank generator? Something with a handle on it that you turn, kinda like the crank on an old fashioned telephone? Seems like that would work well.

Something like this?

http://go-armynavy.com/index.php/vmchk/field-gear/chinese-military-portable-handcrank-generator.html

mac66
02-09-2012, 07:38
Sort of like those shake lights that came out a few years ago?

Bolster
02-09-2012, 11:24
from the mfgr, responding to request for wattage output:

"Thank you for your interest in the nPower PEG. We are estimating that under normal walking conditions every 20 minutes of walk time equals 1 minute of talk time on the iPhone. This can change depending on the type of device that you are charging and the motion you are doing. Hope I was able to answer your question."

Atomic Punk
02-09-2012, 11:41
from the mfgr, responding to request for wattage output:

"Thank you for your interest in the nPower PEG. We are estimating that under normal walking conditions every 20 minutes of walk time equals 1 minute of talk time on the iPhone. This can change depending on the type of device that you are charging and the motion you are doing. Hope I was able to answer your question."

so they have no idea. thats almost as bad as when i was trading e-mails with toyota to find out what aluminum alloy was used for the head in my car ( 1986 ) the response i got back was "whats a head?"