standard/low capacity semi-auto gunfight reloading [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : standard/low capacity semi-auto gunfight reloading

jack76590
02-07-2012, 15:44
I believe, you mentioned favoring a large capacity semi auto for home defense. The rationale, as I recall, is no concealment problems and you will probably not be wearing an extra mag, if awaken from sleep.

I certainly concur with above thinking and my night stand pistol is Sig P226-40 cal with 15 round extended mag. However, for carry purposes the single stack autos such as the Sig P239 conceal and carry better and we can carry extra mags.

So to my question, which will probably not have a definitive answer. In gunfights you have analyzed, where the good guy empties his single stack mag and the fight is still on, how much of an opportunity did he have to reload? I am assuming, if fight still on at this point, the participants will not be at arms length distance, even if they were at the begining. If the participants have scattered and are behind cover, running, jumping around, but still in the fight, I can see where you would potentially have time to reload. But if at 20 feet or less, I think you would be in big trouble, if you needed to reload.

Mas Ayoob
02-07-2012, 21:20
Questions are easier than answers, and your question could fill a whole book, without an ending that convinced every user one way or the other.

Short form:

Most of the cases I've found where someone got shot because they ran out of ammo and couldn't reload (or couldn't reload fast enough) have involved 5- or 6- shot revolvers. One involved a 9-shot .45 auto. The last time I talked with LAPD's ace officer survival authority, Rich Wemmer, he had found four cases where cops had emptied their service auto and both spare mags on their belt -- two single stacks, two double stacks -- and still had a perp up and running, but none of those to my recollection resulted in the officer being subsequently shot.

None of us can predict the fight we'll be sucked into. Things we have to remember, though...

-- A fat-handled high capacity gun that we left at home because we couldn't conceal it won't help us as well as a slim single-stack that was within instant reach when deadly danger found us.

-- Many shooters can't hit well under pressure with double-stack guns too big for their hands, but can hit very well with lesser capacity guns that do fit their hands. It's well-placed hits, not the final count of spent brass on the ground, that wins fights.

Each of us needs to assess our threat profile, our shooting ability with the given firearm, and other related factors. I'm wearing a 16-shot Glock 31 as I write this, but don't feel the least bit uncomfortable carrying a 9-shot .45 auto when I work for the police department that issues that gun, or for that matter, on my own time. Obviously, I carry spare ammo and do practice speed reloading, as I think ALL who carry should.

Best,
Mas