DAK vs DA/SA [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DAK vs DA/SA

Wonky
02-07-2012, 17:59
What do you think of Sig 239 DA/SA vs 239 DAK for a carry pistol? I have no experience with either and want a CC pistol. Which system is the safest against accidental discharge if one had to hold an attacker at bay. I'm willing to work hard at learning either system.
Thank for your input.

Mas Ayoob
02-07-2012, 21:07
First, bear in mind that in a gunpoint situation, the finger should be outside the trigger guard. My own rule is, the finger only enters the trigger guard when one is IN THE VERY ACT OF INTENTIONALLY FIRING THE GUN.

Today, the long, heavy trigger pull of a double action gun is seen as one more safety net in case we imperfect children of imperfect parents in an imperfect world put our finger on the trigger prematurely.

In that case, since the FIRST SHOT double action pull of the standard SIG tends to be more resistant to an unintended pressure on the trigger by a finger that the shooter wasn't trained to have there, the standard DA/SA would theoretically be the safer.

However, there have also been cases of a pistol firing unintentionally because it was cocked, or false allegations of same, or the pistol firing unintentionally SUBSEQUENT to an intentional double action shot. It was for this that double action only pistols, including the SIG DAK and the HK LEM system, were designed. In THAT situation, the DAK would obviously be superior.

If there was one perfect system, we'd have found it by now, and we'd all be carrying it.

Unable to give a black and white answer to a question that encompasses shades of gray,

Mas