M&p 15 sport question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : M&p 15 sport question

Kona dawg
02-07-2012, 20:45
How do you remove the front sight? I want to put flip ups on there. I dont know much about ar. My first one. Thanks

RyanNREMTP
02-07-2012, 20:51
If it's the type I'm thinking of (a fixed front sight) then the pins are removed and if possible slid down the barrel. The if possible part is if it will slide over the flash hider or whatever is at the end of the barrel. Then the low profile gas block is put on as per it's instructions. This is if I know what I'm talking about.

Pictures would be nice. If it is your first AR and you don't know much about them, I would suggest finding a competent gunsmith in your area and pay them to do it.

JaPes
02-07-2012, 21:09
The 15-Sport has an A2 "F" marked front sight post.

You should read this:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_Assemble_your_own_LOWER__UPPER__FREE_FLOAT__TRIGGER__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.h tml

Whatever railed FSB you put on, make sure the FSB's rail height matches the height of the receiver's rails.

The FSB gets hot, so polymer flip up sights are out.

cwtitan
02-07-2012, 22:17
It is yours and do what you want. But it is probably more trouble than it would be worth especially if you hire a gunsmith to do it. :wavey:

TangoFoxtrot
02-08-2012, 08:29
It is yours and do what you want. But it is probably more trouble than it would be worth especially if you hire a gunsmith to do it. :wavey:

Yep. Depends on what the rifle will be used for to.

Made Man
02-08-2012, 10:33
I'm at work replying on my BlackBerry or I would post a link, but check out Surf's youtube channel. He has a video on shaving the FSB and installing a longer handguard.

Jack Black
02-08-2012, 11:29
I'm at work replying on my BlackBerry or I would post a link, but check out Surf's youtube channel. He has a video on shaving the FSB and installing a longer handguard.

Here's the one about removing the FSB. Look around and you'll see others about shaving it, installing a handguard, etc. Very good videos that have helped me in the past.

FSB Removal.wmv - YouTube

Kona dawg
02-11-2012, 11:21
It sucks when it is on there because my scope picks it up.

cyphertext
02-13-2012, 06:46
It sucks when it is on there because my scope picks it up.

What power is your scope? Could you post some pics of how you have it mounted? I have always read that with 3x or more magnification, the front post would blur out.

Kona dawg
02-25-2012, 21:47
The 15-Sport has an A2 "F" marked front sight post.

You should read this:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_Assemble_your_own_LOWER__UPPER__FREE_FLOAT__TRIGGER__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.h tml

Whatever railed FSB you put on, make sure the FSB's rail height matches the height of the receiver's rails.

The FSB gets hot, so polymer flip up sights are out.

So if i remove it and put a gas block on i cant run front flip ups? I dont get it

Kona dawg
02-25-2012, 21:48
What power is your scope? Could you post some pics of how you have it mounted? I have always read that with 3x or more magnification, the front post would blur out.

Nikon 3x9. Sent it off so no pics. Check my other thread for details

WoodenPlank
02-25-2012, 22:10
So if i remove it and put a gas block on i cant run front flip ups? I dont get it

If you replace the A-frame with a railed gas block, you can use a flip up on it. However, you can't use plastic sights, and you have to use a front sight that's matched to the height of the rail on the block. Best thing to do is to get a railed gas block that has a rail matched to the height of the rail on the upper receiver. If you use a low-profile block, you will need a railed handguard to mount the front sight to.