Martial arts? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Martial arts?

Ninong99
02-08-2012, 02:34
Hi Mas,
In the interest of developing a layered defense, I carry and have trained with a Taser C2 and a folding knife (no CCW handgun as I am a Los Angeles County resident).

There's also a slew of martial arts options to choose from as well, and your recent blog post re: some martial arts DVDs got me wondering what your recommendations are for basic self defense martial arts training.

I'm not talking achieving black belt mastery or doing flying kicks; in fact I have a torn ACL, which would limit pursuing martial arts in any athletic capacity. Just looking to learn and practice techniques that can offer me a fighting chance.

Opinions?

Thanks as always,

-Ninong99
_____
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mas Ayoob
02-08-2012, 12:09
Fortunately, Ninong, you are in what may be America's finest mecca of high quality martial arts training.

I would start with judo, where you'll get an early and strong introduction to ukemi-waza, the art of break-falling. It takes away one's fear of falling, and is a useful life skill: even if you're never in a fight, you probably WILL be in a situation where you trip or slip, and reflexive ukemi can make the difference between a bruise and a broken hip. It's also essential for streetfighting, of course. For those new to martial arts, judo quickly accustoms the student to violent physical contact with others. Many of the throws, chokes, and releases of judo are useful for the street.

Progress from there to striking arts. You want lots of ground fighting. Train regularly in something that includes both grappling and striking: Hapkido,
"mixed martial arts," the hard-to-find (but worth looking for) Pankration I mentioned in the blog, etc.

Best of luck. Some in your neck of the woods whom I've studied under or worked with and can recommend without reservation are Tak Kubota, the Gracie Brothers, Graciela Casillas, Cliff Stewart, and Alex Haddox. Google should bring you to any of them.

Best,
Mas