Time to get CCW [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Time to get CCW

Timkid
02-08-2012, 08:55
http://www.kwqc.com/Global/story.asp?S=16698918

Have been thinking of getting CCW since Iowa passed shall issue. I guess it is time. One of these teens live 10 miles from me in the town I work. The other about 5 miles from my house. Between this and last year moms purse was stolen from her car at a gas station. Guess it is time to pull trigger and get ccw.

Ps mom is really anti gun any ideas of how to change her mind. Brought up idea of pepper spray for purse. And a shotgun with rubber bullets for house.(she has never shot a gun before and never wants to thought maybe rubber bullets would change her mind) But just says i don't need them. :faint:

eclark53520
02-08-2012, 09:16
Rubber bullets are out of the question as far as i'm concerned. If you're going to use a deadly weapon, make sure it's deadly.

If she doesn't want to defend herself, that's per prerogative. No one should be forced to defend themselves if they don't wish to.

As far as her not liking weapons and you carrying one. Don't tell her. She doesn't need to know. My mother has no idea i carry a gun. She doesn't need to.

Timkid
02-08-2012, 09:17
Rubber bullets are out of the question as far as i'm concerned. If you're going to use a deadly weapon, make sure it's deadly.

If she doesn't want to defend herself, that's per prerogative. No one should be forced to defend themselves if they don't wish to.

As far as her not liking weapons and you carrying one. Don't tell her. She doesn't need to know. My mother has no idea i carry a gun. She doesn't need to.

Agree have no plans of telling her. Or anyone for that fact except Police if pulled over.

xmanhockey7
02-08-2012, 12:27

Have been thinking of getting CCW since Iowa passed shall issue. I guess it is time. One of these teens live 10 miles from me in the town I work. The other about 5 miles from my house. Between this and last year moms purse was stolen from her car at a gas station. Guess it is time to pull trigger and get ccw.

Ps mom is really anti gun any ideas of how to change her mind. Brought up idea of pepper spray for purse. And a shotgun with rubber bullets for house.(she has never shot a gun before and never wants to thought maybe rubber bullets would change her mind) But just says i don't need them. :faint:

My farther is a bit of an anti. He realizes carrying is a right but doesn't understand "why" anyone would ever need to. I've tried to explain to him bad things happen to good people and people need to have a way to protect themselves. He's a bit stubborn though. I mentioned this situation on another forum and got a good idea from one of the members.
Have someone 5 minutes away from where you and her are. Get a rubber knife and simulate an attack with the knife. Show her that during this attack it will be near impossible to call the police and even if she does they're several minutes away. Just an idea.
"Fear No Evil" by Nutnfancy - YouTube Watching this or some of his other videos may help. I know some don't like nutnfancy but some of his philosophy videos bring up great points.

robhic
02-08-2012, 17:11
Have someone 5 minutes away from where you and her are. Get a rubber knife and simulate an attack with the knife.

Ohhhhh!!! THAT'S a good way to get someone hurt ... or killed! Passerby sees an attack in progress and shoots the "perp" with the rubber knife. That or other serious ending is a real possibility. NOT a good way to make a point. Accidents DO happen ... :wow:

Paul53
02-08-2012, 17:17
Ohhhhh!!! THAT'S a good way to get someone hurt ... or killed! Passerby sees an attack in progress and shoots the "perp" with the rubber knife. That or other serious ending is a real possibility. NOT a good way to make a point. Accidents DO happen ... :wow:

On the bright side it would get a lot of hits on Youtube! Just sayin.......:dunno:

Usmcfox
02-08-2012, 17:25
Be sure if you get your ccw for those reasons you understand the massive responsibility of it. As far as her purse being stolen unless they told her they were going to kill her or had a deadly weapon I see no reason to use deadly force. While I was stationed in Arkansas I saw 2 teens in my apartment complex keying my vehicle, I was carrying my trusty g20 however neither were armed and showed no intent to use violent action towards me, so I used the best ccw my cell phone and dialed 911 and reported it both were arrested and insurance covered my vehicle. Moral of the story if I hadn't used my head I wouldn't be in the free world writing this post.

Clay1
02-08-2012, 17:32

...last year moms purse was stolen from her car at a gas station. Guess it is time to pull trigger and get ccw.

Teach Mom to take her purse, lock the car door or put the purse out of sight and lock the car door.

I get this once in a while, where people get their home broken into because they left the door unlocked and then they want a gun. I have nothing against anyone having a weapon, but learn to lock your doors. If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

pipedreams
02-08-2012, 17:37

Getting your CCW is not to be taken lightly. You need to make sure you clearly understand what concealed carry is about or you could end up sharing the clink with the two neighbors.

Bullwinkle J Moose
02-08-2012, 18:09
If you are not enrolled in a class yet to get your permit, you are wasting time, unless you are waiting for a crime to be committed to or by one of your neighbors or family before you decide that your life is worth protecting.

Don't waste time trying to wise up your mom. Barking at the moon would be more productive. Why do you feel you need to change your mom's mind about self-defense before you do what you think is best for you?

Rubber bullets?
:upeyes:

IndyGunFreak
02-08-2012, 19:16

Man, do I agree. That is a horrible idea.

IT0
02-08-2012, 19:24
Just my very humble opinion, but a new purse for momma is a hell of a lot cheaper than the lawyer you will need you shoot some punk.

xmanhockey7
02-08-2012, 19:27

You do it in a spot where that won't happen. The person I knew recommended a local dojo.

Timkid
02-08-2012, 19:52
Be sure if you get your ccw for those reasons you understand the massive responsibility of it. As far as her purse being stolen unless they told her they were going to kill her or had a deadly weapon I see no reason to use deadly force. While I was stationed in Arkansas I saw 2 teens in my apartment complex keying my vehicle, I was carrying my trusty g20 however neither were armed and showed no intent to use violent action towards me, so I used the best ccw my cell phone and dialed 911 and reported it both were arrested and insurance covered my vehicle. Moral of the story if I hadn't used my head I wouldn't be in the free world writing this post.

Not saying i am getting ccw to protect purse or other possesions. Purse is a cheep item. But what if person decided to steal when she was in car and was armed.

glockpsych
02-08-2012, 20:03
Timkid: forget trying to talk your mother into accepting guns or getting one herself. It won't work and you might even strengthen her anti-gun beliefs. Get a ccw for yourself if you want one for your own protection and be professional, respectful, and careful about it. With any luck, over time, your mother might notice, and your actions--not words--might finally win her over to accepting guns as a form of responsible self protection. Most anti-gun persons that I know share the belief that ALL guns are bad and ALL gun owners are irresponsible and dangerous. Show your mother--through your responsible actions--that she's wrong and you might win her over. Just be prepared that this might take a few years...at least it did in my case. Good luck.