View Full Version : Anti-carjacking device

tonyparson
02-08-2012, 11:20
Warning not legal in all jurisdictions; ie Chicago , IL / NY / CA / NJ / DC

Would be better if it was a Glock..:supergrin:
http://i42.servimg.com/u/f42/16/12/15/58/untitl11.jpg

sr975j
02-08-2012, 11:23
i just keep mine jammed between the center console and passenger seat in my truck in a remora holster. it stays there tight and is easy to get to.

that holster is a good idea though.

Sam

donsls6
02-08-2012, 11:30
Damn, I like. What holster and setup is that?

Gunshine
02-08-2012, 11:37
i just keep mine jammed between the center console and passenger seat in my truck in a remora holster. it stays there tight and is easy to get to.

that holster is a good idea though.

Sam

I wish I could do that. I think in Florida being in plain site is a no no.

sr975j
02-08-2012, 12:06

its pretty nice. ohio recently passed a bill where you can now have your gun wherever the hell you want in your vehicle...and it doesnt even have to be holstered (which i think is a bad idea). i could drive around with my gun on the dashboard if it wanted too.

Sam

PAGunner
02-08-2012, 12:10

I'd argue with tinted windows being underneath like that it is not in plain view, as long as you don't keep the gun in that holster when parked.

I was in pollo tropical the other day and I was standing in line for 3-4 minutes with my gun unbeknownst to me, exposed with many people behind me. I casually felt my shirt and covered the gun without any big scene. Not one person was alarmed by it.

Atomic Punk
02-08-2012, 12:27
i like it. but i would hesitate to use it in even a gun friendly state. i dont expect most cops would like that.

IndyGunFreak
02-08-2012, 14:13
Nevermind, misread a post.

rjflyn
02-08-2012, 14:22

You can, FL code says securely encased or holstered. In fact one does not need a permit to have a gun in their vehicle as long as you have it encased or holstered, but the moment you put it on your person and cover it then you need a permit.

xmanhockey7
02-08-2012, 14:44
That gun will go flying in an accident.

Noots
02-08-2012, 16:06
As strict as NY is you're allowed to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle

Just saying, haha.

xmanhockey7
02-08-2012, 19:30
As strict as NY is you're allowed to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle

Just saying, haha.

I thought you have to have a permit to do that. You can't just have a loaded gun in your vehicle.

Mr. Blandings
02-08-2012, 22:15
You can, FL code says securely encased or holstered. In fact one does not need a permit to have a gun in their vehicle as long as you have it encased or holstered, but the moment you put it on your person and cover it then you need a permit.That's walking a really fine line under Florida statute (not code). It would really depend on what the LEO writes in the subsequent affidavit, i.e. how soon did he see the handgun? If he reports that he saw it as soon as he approached the vehicle and looked in the window then you may have an open carry violation/prosecution/conviction.

There have been incidents in Florida where individuals who were in legal possession of a firearm were arrested, prosecuted and convicted. See attorney Jon Gutmacher's blog (http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=Criminal-Lawyer-Blog&Store_Code=FFL) for examples.

MinnesnowtaWild
02-08-2012, 23:27
I really like this from a functionality aspect, but other than that it's probably not for me. I would rather not have an officer pull his weapon on me during a simple traffic stop. I would rather inform them on my own terms in a calm, respectful manner (even though we don't have to in MN unless asked).

HerrGlock
02-09-2012, 01:33
Trunk Monkey - Car Anti-Theft Device!! - YouTube

emopunker2004
02-09-2012, 01:43

I'd argue with tinted windows being underneath like that it is not in plain view, as long as you don't keep the gun in that holster when parked.
I agree with PAGunner. That picture is taken from near the floor with nobody in the can. With a person in the seat, i doubt the gun is easily seen from outside the vehicle. I'll be getting one soon.

Noots
02-09-2012, 03:42
I thought you have to have a permit to do that. You can't just have a loaded gun in your vehicle.

In NY you can't even own a pistol without having a permit, so my post kind of goes without saying, ha.

Gunshine
02-09-2012, 04:42
That's walking a really fine line under Florida statute (not code). It would really depend on what the LEO writes in the subsequent affidavit, i.e. how soon did he see the handgun? If he reports that he saw it as soon as he approached the vehicle and looked in the window then you may have an open carry violation/prosecution/conviction.

There have been incidents in Florida where individuals who were in legal possession of a firearm were arrested, prosecuted and convicted. See attorney Jon Gutmacher's blog (http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=Criminal-Lawyer-Blog&Store_Code=FFL) for examples.

Thank You Mr. B. This is my understanding as well. Also thanks for the link. I bookmarked it.

HG. One of the great things about GT is all the great vids that people find and share. Trunk monkey is one of the best.

xmanhockey7
02-09-2012, 05:06
In NY you can't even own a pistol without having a permit, so my post kind of goes without saying, ha.

Gottcha. So if you have a pistol permit but not the unrestricted permit you can keep a loaded gun in your car just can't carry it on your person outside your car?

happyguy
02-09-2012, 06:44
That needs some kind of retention IMO.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

fuzzy03cls
02-09-2012, 08:34
It can be in plain site in the car as long as it's in a snapped holster. That holster is not a snapped holster so it would not be legal.

RussP
02-09-2012, 08:41

http://i42.servimg.com/u/f42/16/12/15/58/untitl11.jpgTony, who makes the rig?

Noots
02-09-2012, 20:38
Gottcha. So if you have a pistol permit but not the unrestricted permit you can keep a loaded gun in your car just can't carry it on your person outside your car?

In my county all we have is unrestricted carry, home or business, so i don't really know what the regulations are regarding non carry permits and vehicles.

Glockrunner
02-10-2012, 05:28

http://i42.servimg.com/u/f42/16/12/15/58/untitl11.jpg

Looks like a dangerous way to jam your trigger finger during a draw.
No thanks.

cadillacguns
02-10-2012, 05:54
I three it...............anybody have a link to this rig?

Please?

Pretty please with sugar on top?

cadillacguns
02-10-2012, 06:32
Oh by the way, I have a small camera bag with a nylon holster, (you know the one, nylon strap closed with extra mag pouch sewn in in front) with a G-27 in the bag, xtra 9 rd mag, and copy of my Indiana LTCH. This is looped by its adjustable shoulder strap over the headrest of the passenger (wifes) seat. I can just reach over and grab the Baby Glock. If wifes in the car occupying the seat, I just rotate the pistol rig to the back of the seat and reach back behind the seat than straight across. I once carried a Walther PPK/s in the "Idiot Position" (you know lift up one leg, take glock in right hand and stash it under your thigh muzzle pointed out down on an angle towards the knee.
Drove from Indianapolis to Orlando and when I stopped for the motel, I opened the door and slid both myself and the PPK/s out onto the parking lot. DOH! Thats what sitting on it for hours waiting for it to hatch into a Sig P-226 will do for you.

I now like to be somehow tethered to my ECC (Everyday Car Carry) or EVC or ETC or EMC, etc, etc.

I personaly have a G-26 with an x-tra mag in a center of mass clamshell safe in the underseat drawer on the passengers side, and I know it should be, and someday soon I hope will be, a G-22 under the flap that holds the spare in the trunk, in its Glock clamshell case loaded with three mags. (Yes I know they can be stolen). I carry either the G-27 or G-23 so one is always on or with me, the Trunk Gun/underseat stash are extra. If I find any room for an M-4 concealed I would stick one in there somewheres too.

Mr. Blandings
02-10-2012, 06:58
After some Googling, one place I located that sells the holster rig pictured is Gum Creek Customs (hot link to the holster's page) (http://www.gumcreekcustoms.com/Universal-Vehicle-Handgun-Holster-Mount-p5.html). The website advises they are currently out-of-stock, but expect resupply approximately March 2012.

There a lots of ideas out there for car mounting a holstered handgun. Some are better than others. YOUR choice should be based on local laws and your individual circumstances.

chevy01234
02-10-2012, 16:58
I believe it was in the last NRA catalog too!

Misty02
02-11-2012, 08:05
You can, FL code says securely encased or holstered. In fact one does not need a permit to have a gun in their vehicle as long as you have it encased or holstered, but the moment you put it on your person and cover it then you need a permit.

Without a license in Florida it must be securely encased. The holstered part is not a requirement, the securely encased is. That holster set up would be legal (although not necessarily wise) if the holster had some sort of snapped strap.

There are still two things I want securely attached to me while in a vehicle, my firearm and my cell phone. Whether it be a vehicle overturn or having to run away from the vehicle, I would like to maintain easy access to those two items, at all times, without added effort.

BK63
02-12-2012, 07:19
i like it. but i would hesitate to use it in even a gun friendly state. i dont expect most cops would like that.

Can you imagine being pulled over, the cop shines his flashlight in the car or daytime looks in the window and sees that? :supergrin:

Ribbler
02-12-2012, 21:11
The Gun is a Springfield XD - Very good gun.

Mr. Blandings
02-12-2012, 23:34
Can you imagine being pulled over, the cop shines his flashlight in the car or daytime looks in the window and sees that? :supergrin:That's one of the problems with the rig pictured. I can imagine the how the next few seconds of that transaction are likely to proceed... tensely... and most folks are much more likely to get pulled over for a traffic infraction than be the victim of a carjacking.

NEOH212
02-13-2012, 00:35
its pretty nice. ohio recently passed a bill where you can now have your gun wherever the hell you want in your vehicle...and it doesnt even have to be holstered (which i think is a bad idea). i could drive around with my gun on the dashboard if it wanted too.

Sam

I wasn't aware of that change. When did that become law? I'm with you on not being big on the idea of not having the gun in a holster.

id1otbox
02-13-2012, 01:05

In NY you cant even look at a pistol or buy pistol ammo or merchandise in a store without having a permit.