Folding Shovel. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Folding Shovel.

Bolster
02-08-2012, 11:24
Time for me to add a folding shovel to my car kit.

Are they all pretty much the same, or are some superior to others? Which can you recommend?

Bluestreakfl
02-08-2012, 11:38
I was looking through a catalog one time, Glock actually makes one, the Glock Entrenching tool. http://img.tapatalk.com/aefcaa8c-c117-6e26.jpg

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

Bilbo Bagins
02-08-2012, 12:08
For just snow or Snow & dirt?

I seen some nice collapseable Aluminum snow shovels in Dicks Sporting goods and other camping stores. Looks like this.

http://www.ronniesunshines.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x265/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/n/snow_shovel_1.jpg

If you have the room in the trunk, I would ge a short handled shovel. As someone who used one a little too regularly , E-tools really suck for serious digging. If you have a small trunk, just get an E-tool or that Glock tool

20South
02-08-2012, 12:19
I got a SOG as part of a package on Woot once. Seems good enough. No failures, but not heavily used either.

Here is the set:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415gckDyWzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

jwhite75
02-08-2012, 12:39
I was looking through a catalog one time, Glock actually makes one, the Glock Entrenching tool. http://img.tapatalk.com/aefcaa8c-c117-6e26.jpg

This is what they made first and is considered by many to be one of the best ones out there.

captainstormy
02-08-2012, 12:48
I've got one I picked up at the army surplus store for boyscouts many moons ago.

15 or so years later its still in good shape with fairly heavy usage. Lots of camping and backpacking trips.

Its a small head thou, if it were just for snow, Id go with one of those small collapsable shovels.

Bolster
02-08-2012, 12:58
For just snow or Snow & dirt?

Sorry, I should have specified: dirt. Little snow to speak of where I live.

This is what they made first and is considered by many to be one of the best ones out there.

So...there was an early Glock and a later Glock shovel? And the early is the desirable one?

Bolster
02-08-2012, 13:05
I notice the Gerber Folding Spade (the 0075) is USA made, still. Looks like most other options are all Chinee.

Amazon.com: Gerber E-Tool Folding Shovel (24 in.): Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31KZwj1LwSL.@@AMEPARAM@@31KZwj1LwSL

glkdawg45
02-08-2012, 18:32
Old tri-fold E-Tool from Uncle Sam. Works for me.

emt1581
02-08-2012, 18:44
Whichever one you pick watch some of the reviews and tests on youtube.

Personally, my wife's trunk kit has a decent sized one but it's plastic. I'm thinking about buying a cold steel shovel. The thing will supposedly chop through wood like a hatchet/small axe, yet the wooden handle allows for a good grip. Again, this is how I'm leaning after I've seen VERY poor reviews of the Gerber and Glock.

-Emt1581

jdavionic
02-08-2012, 18:47
I just got a surplus shovel years ago. Like one of the previous posters, I use it for camping but it stays in my BOB. Never had any issues with it.

bdcochran
02-08-2012, 20:26
I have the Cold Steel, Gi, Glock.

The Cold Steel one is based on the Soviet Spetnaz model. That is the one I would get.

The shovel head and socket are forged from medium carbon steel, then heat treated for maximum strength. The edges come sharpened to a utility/axe edge that can easily be improved to razor sharpness.

The Special Forces Shovel comes complete with a specially made Cor-Ex sheath. The sheath features an extra wide belt loop. The sheath and the shovel are available for sale as a stand alone items.

Regardless of which you buy, read the reviews on how the Soviet based design is used in combat.

PS : I hated the design and carry sheath for the US GI model in the 1960s. If it isn't convenient, you are not going to carry it, just like other equipment.

Bolster
02-08-2012, 21:00
I'm thinking about buying a cold steel shovel. ... Again, this is how I'm leaning after I've seen VERY poor reviews of the Gerber and Glock.

Good to know, I was considering the Cold Steel also. Both good and bad that it doesn't fold down. For the record there are two Gerbers, the Gorge 578 (rated lower) and the 075 (rated higher and twice the price). The Cold Steel is half the price of the 075.

Ethereal Killer
02-08-2012, 21:20
I've got both the glock E-tool AND the Cold Steel Spetznaz shovel. both are GREAT pieces of kit, and i carry them in my pack actually.

THAT SAID... for a TRUNK shovel, go buy a good d-handle spade point digging shovel for the trunk. Weight and space are less of an issue and when you need it particularly for a car emergency, the smaller shovels wont cut it.

different size problems mean different size tools.

Big Bird
02-08-2012, 21:59
Another vote for the Cold Steel SF shovel. I have one in both of my vehicles. I had a folding GI shovel and will tell you every folding shovel I've ever used for anything other than digging a cat hole SUCKED...the handles constantly wiggle loose and need tightning.

The CS Shovel weighs about the same but it doesn't fold. Big deal. If you need a shovel you can simply strap it on your rucksack.

racerford
02-08-2012, 22:04
I have the Glock, but have never used. I like the idea of a tenifer coated blade. It also has a saw in the handle. Yes, Yes, I know I should be ashamed to never have used something i may have to use in case of an emergency. I have whipped myself 3 times with a cat o' nine tails for the transgression, no need to chastize me more. :)

M1A Shooter
02-08-2012, 23:35
i keep a GI tri-fold in my truck and a cheaper knock off of the same in my wifes car. hers has never been used, mine had been well abused. works well for me.

RatDrall
02-09-2012, 04:24
Folding shovels are lame, go with the Cold Steel short shovel. Mine has dug me out of snow, and helped out in other ways, just fine.

emt1581
02-09-2012, 04:58
I have the Glock, but have never used. I like the idea of a tenifer coated blade. It also has a saw in the handle. Yes, Yes, I know I should be ashamed to never have used something i may have to use in case of an emergency. I have whipped myself 3 times with a cat o' nine tails for the transgression, no need to chastize me more. :)

If it's anything like their knives it will suck and suck big time! The coating comes right off and the knife rusts something terrible.

I think I'm going to buy myself the CS shovel and hopefully a sheath tonight....I've seen the pair together fr $37 or so...not bad for what you get IMO.

Nice thing is if you need a longer/full sized handle...just cut one off a tree, whittle the end and remove the screws for the original handle and screw that sucker in...

-Emt1581

Turbo810
02-09-2012, 06:07
This one is just rediculous. Check the video.

http://www.crovelfoldingshovel.com/#

Vanilla-gorilla
02-09-2012, 06:27

Now that is sweet looking shovel. Now i have to order one. Thanks.

banger
02-09-2012, 07:02

That thing is good, but if you don't change the recoil spring or "limp wrist" it. it'll jam on you.

Ethereal Killer
02-09-2012, 10:22
That thing is good, but if you don't change the recoil spring or "limp wrist" it. it'll jam on you.

thats only with the gen 4's the gen 3's and prior are GTG

Ethereal Killer
02-09-2012, 10:27
Now that is sweet looking shovel. Now i have to order one. Thanks.

heres the really funny part.

the crovel design is a COPY of the CHINESE multi-shovel!!

Check it out and watch the video if you havent seen it. it's 100% awesome right down to the choice of music! :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinese-Military-Shovel-Emergency-Tools-WJQ-308-Bags-/260708068196?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb3696b64

Chinese Military Shovel WJQ-308 (HQ + Full length) - YouTube

Vanilla-gorilla
02-09-2012, 10:38
heres the really funny part.

the crovel design is a COPY of the CHINESE multi-shovel!!

Check it out and watch the video if you havent seen it. it's 100% awesome right down to the choice of music! :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinese-Military-Shovel-Emergency-Tools-WJQ-308-Bags-/260708068196?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb3696b64

Chinese Military Shovel WJQ-308 (HQ + Full length) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60OZhrTB6o)

OK. This one won. Love that old western music.

Bolster
02-09-2012, 11:36
Function show!

Now we know how the Chinese will invade us...they'll use shovels for everything!

runcible68
02-09-2012, 12:16
I've got a Glock shovel in my car. Works fine.

racerford
02-09-2012, 12:25
If it's anything like their knives it will suck and suck big time! The coating comes right off and the knife rusts something terrible.

-Emt1581

Strange I have glocks that are close to 20 years old and no evidence rust and they have not been treated kindly. Of course I have never used them to dig dirt either. :supergrin:

R_W
02-09-2012, 12:29
I have an old gerber, a couple US surplus (early 70's AMES), East (wood handled with push button lock and a pick)and West German (copy of US), Austrian (wood handles, screw lock).

IMO Ames are the best, followed by the W German copies. Next is the Austrian, then the Gerber and last is the E G push-button lock.

Being able to lock it tight is important (1 reason why the EG version gets pushed to the bottom). Also important to lock at 90ish--both to use as a pick and to drag material out from under a vehicle. The rest of the difference is personal preference to the exact angles for comfort in how I use it. Completely straight shovels like the CS or east german one are not as good at digging standing up for me. YMMV

The West German ones live in my vehicles, the Ames in the heavy BOB (light and fast GHB has a Montbell backpackers trowel). One EG one lives on my tractor (it is the best root cutter of the bunch and the spike comes in handy for prying rocks). The others are spread out between garage, barn, outbuildings, and caches.

Akita
02-11-2012, 15:57
Glock.

Mr. Blandings
02-12-2012, 07:34
Your choice will likely be influenced by which qualities are most important to you: compactness/folding/collapsing, weight, sturdiness, multi-function capability, price, availability, ease of use, etc.

I have the Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel (http://www.coldsteel.com/spshovel.html) and it's been great for my purposes. Yes, it works well as a shovel, hatchet, and camp fire cooking spatula. It's also a mighty comforting item to have close at hand in a firearm/obvious weapon non-permissive camping environment. It can also ride along in my truck within arm's reach and I'll never have to explain it to law enforcement.

emt1581
02-12-2012, 08:52
If I may ask, what sheath do yall use for the CS shovels? On ebay it looks like it does not comes with one and the cordura-ish is the only I see other than custom kydex ones.

Thanks

-Emt1581

hagar
02-12-2012, 09:40
Get a used ex-military German shovel. The new ones they sell are utter garbage.

Mr. Blandings
02-12-2012, 23:41
If I may ask, what sheath do yall use for the CS shovels? On ebay it looks like it does not comes with one and the cordura-ish is the only I see other than custom kydex ones.You are correct that the Cold Steel does not come with a sheath. I don't have a sheath for mine. I've never yet had need for one, but YMMV.

WolfNotSheep
02-13-2012, 11:09
The old US military surplus shovels have always worked just fine for me...just make sure you're getting the real thing and not a knock off. Also, I prefer the ones that use hand tightening nuts (you basically grab a steel collar and screw it over the folding joint to lock it) instead of push button locks; they last much longer and don't become loose and wobbly.

Ethereal Killer
02-13-2012, 12:45
You are correct that the Cold Steel does not come with a sheath. I don't have a sheath for mine. I've never yet had need for one, but YMMV.

Mine came with a sheath.

The sheath is pretty tough and works well. I have not had any reason to look elsewhere for one

Bolster
03-05-2012, 12:42
Done!

Youse guys talked me into the Cold Steel & the sheath for it. Nice piece of kit for the truck, makes my hatchet redundant I think.

Although it doesn't collapse, I rather like that it's ready to go right now; much better if required for a defensive situation.

Thanks for the advice.

DoctaGlockta
03-05-2012, 13:07
I think the fellow on Doomsday Preppers that shot his thumb almost clear off has developed a tactical shovel. Can't remember the name of it. He may have modified it to work with only one thumb now.

EDIT - sorry guys looks like someone already posted about the Crovel.

02LimitedX
03-05-2012, 14:53
We were issued the Gerber folding e-tools. They held up decent for most, but I have seen many broken because of abuse. FYI we lived in fighting holes for 4 months in Afghanistan my second go round. Every time we had to move positions I tracked down our tankers to borrow their "real shovels". I however keep the Cold Steel in my own car and it came with a nylon sheath for it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Bolster
03-05-2012, 15:17
We were issued the Gerber folding e-tools. They held up decent for most, but I have seen many broken because of abuse. FYI we lived in fighting holes for 4 months in Afghanistan my second go round. Every time we had to move positions I tracked down our tankers to borrow their "real shovels". I however keep the Cold Steel in my own car and it came with a nylon sheath for it.

That's about as good a recommendation for the Cold Steel as you are likely to get!!

concretefuzzynuts
03-06-2012, 17:57
The old US military surplus shovels have always worked just fine for me...just make sure you're getting the real thing and not a knock off. Also, I prefer the ones that use hand tightening nuts (you basically grab a steel collar and screw it over the folding joint to lock it) instead of push button locks; they last much longer and don't become loose and wobbly.

Exactly. Mine is a 1960's model and works great to this day. It also has a canvas sheath and a pocket with a hatchet that cuts roots clean.

enbloc
03-07-2012, 09:17
I like this: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-202593614/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=shovel&storeId=10051

Cheap (price wise,) local (no shipping fee,) small, and stonger than any folder.
Check one out next time you are at Home Depot.

madmike3668
03-07-2012, 21:18
Damn, that is one badass chinese shovel. I think i might need one of those.

Texas357
03-09-2012, 23:45

In my experience, (commercial copies), the screw-type lock quickly gets enough corrosion that it becomes either impossible to loosen, leaving you a folded non-shovel, or it becomes impossible to screw it down tight enough.

I have a cold steel shovel, haven't played with it yet. Seems almost too flat for regular digging use.

Most of the time, I am not moving much dirt, and would do better with a well-made hand trowel. I have one of the folding hand shovels, and it lives under the seat of my car. It sees lots of use whenever I am camping or road-tripping.

Bolster
03-10-2012, 13:18
I have a cold steel shovel, haven't played with it yet. Seems almost too flat for regular digging use.

I noticed that. I wonder if they took some of the dish out so it would work better as an axe?