Got my CCW permit and.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got my CCW permit and....

AWGD8
02-08-2012, 18:45
I got my CCW permit last January and a few days ago I had a chance to setup my CCW rig.

I have a Glock 39 Subcompact 45 GAP and also bought a cheap combat holster from Glock too. The holster is great, very close to the body, but the gun still print if I put the holster @ 2:30 strong side (right side). And also bought a 5.11 operator belt for the rig setup.

I really prefer cross draw since it is natural and faster for me to use the left hand to sweep open my jacket or shirt up and unholster the gun.
The cross draw also minimized printing and easier to sit down inside the car.

My thought is, there is no way I can conceal this Glock 39 during summer time.
It is a bit heavy too. I had a Ruger LCR 357Magnum before but I sold it. After owning that revolver, i realized how good the LCR gun for CCW on summer time would be. Now I am back to square one to find a good revolver for summer carry.
I am a bit hesitant to get another LCR bec. It is not really that accurate at 16 yards, it is doable but needs a lot of range hours to master. Unlike my Glock 39, I only need to practice 50 rounds once a month and still easily hit center mass at 7-10 yards.

I am looking at S&W 360 PD for summer carry. I wonder if just stick with the LCR 357? Revolver is very light to carry and does not print that much when wearing light clothing.

FYI, tried the LC9 , G19 , G26 perfect size but I am not very accurate with it...
Should I invest into the S&W Jframe revolver or stick with the LCR ? I kinda like the Jframe, but I got spoiled with the Ruger LCR smooth trigger... :crying:

BTW, not a fan of IWB holster.....

rbailey13
02-08-2012, 18:57
Congrats on the CCW. I too live in WI and got mine in December. I carry a glock 27 in a fobus holster. It does print, but rides nice. If I wear a really loose coat or my packer pullover it hides well. I like the strong side carry due to the fact your not swinging the muzzle around and pointing at something you don't want to. But I am unsure how I'll be packing it in warmer weather.

up1911fan
02-08-2012, 19:01
My LCR (.38spcl) is my main pocket gun. I've got the XS front sight and CTC Lasergrips. There's no way i'd go with a 360 over the LCR. Just get the .38, it's only 13.3 oz. S&W makes a great gun, there's no argueing that, but to me the LCR has a better trigger and the same weight for a lot less $$.

mhmills
02-08-2012, 19:06
Congratulations on getting the best Glock made, make sure you check out the Bull Dawgs Club. I alternate between the G39 and the S&W 642 Pro, and sometimes carry both.

Bull Dawgs Club

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87

drew4691
02-08-2012, 19:07
check out the lcp. its a great summer piece.

WI_DeerHunter13
02-08-2012, 19:31
I got my CCW permit last January and a few days ago I had a chance to setup my CCW rig.

I have a Glock 39 Subcompact 45 GAP and also bought a cheap combat holster from Glock too. The holster is great, very close to the body, but the gun still print if I put the holster @ 2:30 strong side (right side). And also bought a 5.11 operator belt for the rig setup.

I really prefer cross draw since it is natural and faster for me to use the left hand to sweep open my jacket or shirt up and unholster the gun.
The cross draw also minimized printing and easier to sit down inside the car.

My thought is, there is no way I can conceal this Glock 39 during summer time.
It is a bit heavy too. I had a Ruger LCR 357Magnum before but I sold it. After owning that revolver, i realized how good the LCR gun for CCW on summer time would be. Now I am back to square one to find a good revolver for summer carry.
I am a bit hesitant to get another LCR bec. It is not really that accurate at 16 yards, it is doable but needs a lot of range hours to master. Unlike my Glock 39, I only need to practice 50 rounds once a month and still easily hit center mass at 7-10 yards.

I am looking at S&W 360 PD for summer carry. I wonder if just stick with the LCR 357? Revolver is very light to carry and does not print that much when wearing light clothing.

FYI, tried the LC9 , G19 , G26 perfect size but I am not very accurate with it...
Should I invest into the S&W Jframe revolver or stick with the LCR ? I kinda like the Jframe, but I got spoiled with the Ruger LCR smooth trigger... :crying:

BTW, not a fan of IWB holster.....

IMO, you're going to need serious range time to be consistent at 16 yards with a scandium J-frame or any lightweight snubby (and probably double that if you're shooting .357s). I've never shot an LCR, but I don't see the S&W getting around your issues. That being said, my 340 is still one of my favorite carry pieces and I'm comfortable with some of its trade-offs.

A good single-stack 9mm or a .380 (LCP, etc.) might be a good alternative. Or you can just start stocking up on Hawaiian shirts and pick up a 1911. :supergrin:

AWGD8
02-08-2012, 21:23
Thanks for all the feedback guys. =) I am still considering the Ruger LCR 357 dang!
If I get that again, I`m sure I have to replace the stock Hogue grip. The stock Hogue grip is great in recoil dampening, specially with the 357Mag round, but it is darn to big and rubber friction snag against the clothing when unholstering.

I have heard that the boot grip is smaller, but not sure if it will be a good recoil dampener?

TexasGlockster
02-08-2012, 21:37
Have you tried something like a single stack semi? I'm a pretty thin guy and I live in Texas so I've been thinking a lot about what I could carry that won't print. So far I've thought about the Walther PPS (you can get it in 9mm or .40), the Rugur LCP/LC9, or the Baretta Nano.

AWGD8
02-08-2012, 21:55
Have you tried something like a single stack semi? I'm a pretty thin guy and I live in Texas so I've been thinking a lot about what I could carry that won't print. So far I've thought about the Walther PPS (you can get it in 9mm or .40), the Rugur LCP/LC9, or the Baretta Nano.

I really don`t know what is wrong with me? I sucked at 9mm :supergrin:

I rented the LC9 this morning and at 7 yards, my old LCR 357 with 38 +p
grouped consistently better than a shotgun blast coming from the LC9 :rofl:

joker42179
02-08-2012, 22:06
So did you do the Inauguaral (sp) Wallywalk yet???

xmanhockey7
02-09-2012, 00:18
The guns are far more accurate than you are. That said 16 yards is fairly long shooting for a snub nose. Realistically they're made for confrontations within a few yards (statistically there is the distance someone with a carry permit will have to shoot).

You may want to consider getting some button up shirts to wear for cover during the summer. That should cover up the gun. If you don't want to do that pocket carrying a subnose is a great idea just realize you need to put a lot of range time in to be accurate with them at that distance. Hickok45 can do it but he's a darn good shot.

EAJuggalo
02-09-2012, 08:10
A good belt/holster combination should allow you to conceal just about any handgun effectively. I can conceal a G21SF without too much of a problem, and my phone prints much more than my sidearm.
16 yards is an unrealistic expectation from a covert carry weapon. Most altercations follow the 3-3-3 formula, three shots in three seconds at three yards.
I'm not a fan of cross draw since it requires you to sweep the entire room to bring your sidearm on target, and it is impossible to practice anywhere. It may seem faster to you but with a little bit of practice you will see it really is not once you start timing where the gun is in a position to hit a target ten feet in front of you rather than when the gun is brought up to your eye.

WMDoug
02-12-2012, 17:48
IMO, you're going to need serious range time to be consistent at 16 yards with a scandium J-frame or any lightweight snubby (and probably double that if you're shooting .357s). I've never shot an LCR, but I don't see the S&W getting around your issues. That being said, my 340 is still one of my favorite carry pieces and I'm comfortable with some of its trade-offs.

A good single-stack 9mm or a .380 (LCP, etc.) might be a good alternative. Or you can just start stocking up on Hawaiian shirts and pick up a 1911. :supergrin:

I pocket carry my LCR and have always figured that it would be going off at a distance of far less than 16 yards. I carry the revolver so I can shoot through my coat if need be and know there will be less of a chance of the slide getting snagged.

Thx-1138
02-13-2012, 13:33
I conceal my G39 all year long.

Shorts + T-shirt is no problem.

Get an IWB holster. Comptac M-tac is my current holster, but many manufacturers make excellent ones.

Only time I have problems is when wearing cycling clothes. Skin-tight lycra doesn't make a good cover garment.

EAJuggalo
02-17-2012, 04:38
Smartcarry or one of the under armour type holster shirts might work for you. Of course cycling is one of the few activities where the fanny pack wouldn't look too out of place.

DWARREN123
02-17-2012, 05:20
I usually wear button shirts and cargo shorts during summer and carry either a G22 or G20SF IWB.
No big deal and no one seems to notice. 5' 10" and 212 pounds. :supergrin:

AWGD8
02-17-2012, 23:13
I am saving up some money for another summer carry revolver. The G39 summer carry, even if wont print, still a brick to carry due to a thicker slide and heavy when loaded with full magazine. My old Ruger LCR 357 weighs 1/2 or less when loaded...

FireForged
02-19-2012, 13:47
16yards is a significant distance for a citizen SD event. I dont know that I would discount a pistol over concerns that it might not serve well at 16yards.

Bodyarmorguy
02-19-2012, 14:17
My thought is, there is no way I can conceal this Glock 39 during summer time. It is a bit heavy too.

Really? My summer time (central east coast of FL, very hot very humid) daily dress consists of cargo shorts and an untucked polo. My daily carry is a 5" Colt 1911 in an IWB holster and a spare mag on the off side.

Not judging you, we are all entitled to an opinion and this is just mine...you are comprising safety for perceived comfort. A G39 is not heavy and can be easily concealed under a shirt. It is advertised as "sub-compact." Less than compact by definition.

With regard to printing....this is an area that I think people get too hung up on. Unless you are trying to look like every other 18-23 year old Jersey Shore wannabe wearing an Affliction or Ed Hardy skin tight t-shirt your average t-shirt or polo will adequately conceal your pistol. Who notices the dreaded print? Other gun guys. The reality is that most people don't notice it, if they do they think it's your iPhone.

Your new to ccw and understandably a bit paranoid that the whole world is noticing your pistol. They are not.

End of rant:popcorn:

Bodyarmorguy
02-19-2012, 14:18
I am saving up some money for another summer carry revolver. The G39 summer carry, even if wont print, still a brick to carry due to a thicker slide and heavy when loaded with full magazine. My old Ruger LCR 357 weighs 1/2 or less when loaded...

And also carries half the ammo.....

collim1
02-19-2012, 15:12
Keep the G39 for cooler months and pocket carry the snubbie. I would suggest trying the G39 in the Glock sport holster strong side at about 3:00-3:30. It would not be crossdraw but would probably conceal much better even under a light cover garment.

I conceal a P239, which is slightly larger, OWB under a polo shirt. Does it disappear? No, but its concealed as far as I am concerned.

AWGD8
02-19-2012, 18:25
I am swithing to carrying my G39 on my strong side. It just suck to sit down inside the car with the butt of the gun against the seat. This definitely my winter carry gun.

I decided also to wait for the Sig Sauer P938 that will be available before summer this year. It is basically just a bit bigger than the P238 380. I had a chance to handle different Smith and Wesson Jframe today at GanderMt GunWorld.
Most S&W Jframe are less than 15oz in 357 Mag. My LCR357 was 17oz. The Ruger SP101 fit the bill but seems the butt is longer too carry. I am only 5"7 and 159. Ibs.

Bodyarmorguy: I wear medium size polo shirt. :supergrin:
Though the up coming Sig P938 in SA form seems promising , it is only 9mm. It is thin and a carbon copy from the small version P238. I like the 340 and 360 PD revolver, but way too light to handle a 357 ammo. I prefer the 357 than the 38 +p.

I would definitely wait for the P938 even if it is only 9mm and 6+1 capacity. When I need to go out for a quick run, sometimes I get too lazy to bring the G39. My problem is I did experience the JFrame LCR 357 and I have something to compare against G39 for ease of carrying....

AWGD8
02-19-2012, 18:32
Keep the G39 for cooler months and pocket carry the snubbie. I would suggest trying the G39 in the Glock sport holster strong side at about 3:00-3:30. It would not be crossdraw but would probably conceal much better even under a light cover garment.

I conceal a P239, which is slightly larger, OWB under a polo shirt. Does it disappear? No, but its concealed as far as I am concerned.

I love the P239 in 9mm. That's the only gun so far that makes me feel a marksman. :supergrin: It just a tad bigger than my G39 though slimmer.

Bodyarmorguy
02-19-2012, 21:56
[QUOTE=AWGD8;18603430
Bodyarmorguy: I wear medium size polo shirt. :supergrin:
[/QUOTE]

At 5'10/195 I wear what some call a Large....I prefer to think of it as Extra Medium :tongueout:

Bill Lumberg
02-20-2012, 08:21
A glock is easy to conceal in summer or winter under no more than an untucked t shirt. OWB on a proper gunbelt is easy to do.

dreis454
02-20-2012, 08:26
"I am a bit hesitant to get another LCR bec. It is not really that accurate at 16 yards"

For SD don't be worried about anything more than 7 yards.....If you have to shoot @ 16 yds in a SD situation....you will have some 'splainin' to do.

HKLovingIT
02-20-2012, 11:20
Suggestion:

Buy this book before buying more gear:

Amazon.com: The Gun Digest Book Of Concealed Carry (9780896896116): Massad Ayoob: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mfq2vZpPL.@@AMEPARAM@@51mfq2vZpPL

eclark53520
02-20-2012, 12:50
Don't get too hung up on printing. You can minimize it by going IWB with a good holster and a good belt.

As people in here have already said, the only people that are going to notice you are printing are the people that don't care(gun people that are probably carrying themselves).

I carry my G30 all year long. Even with fairly tight Tshirts. I absolutely print in some shirts. No one notice's.

Even if they do notice, it's not illegal to print in WI, nor is it illegal to OC, so i'm not worried about it at all.

You will become more comfortable with it as time goes on.