Anyone reserve a biolite? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone reserve a biolite?

emt1581
02-08-2012, 19:47
http://biolitestove.com/BioLite.html

I know someone started a thread a few months back on it but I am SERIOUSLY intrigued by this thing! For the $130-ish I almost want to buy one BEFORE reading reviews on it.

Anyone else reserve one?

Thanks

-Emt1581

jdavionic
02-08-2012, 19:51
Nope...interesting, but I have a solar charger and never had any issues cooking with wood while camping. Not to knock the idea, just not something that I'm interested in.

farmer-dave
02-08-2012, 20:13
Sounds interesting, but how does it use heat to produce electricity, and would it produce enough to actually charge something up. I'm too much of a sceptic, without more info or people saying it does what it's supposed to I wouldn't risk it.

Bolster
02-08-2012, 22:13
I'm interested in the idea. I would love to talk to someone who owned one and used it first...!

racerford
02-08-2012, 22:58
Sounds interesting, but how does it use heat to produce electricity, and would it produce enough to actually charge something up. I'm too much of a sceptic, without more info or people saying it does what it's supposed to I wouldn't risk it.

You know those little compressorless coolers? They have a thermal electric device (Peltier device) that cooling if you apply current in one polarity and heating in the other polarity. This is the same thing but in reverse. You apply heat and it produces current.

Kaybe
02-08-2012, 23:18
somebody make something that will generate electricity while using your wood burning stove. I will buy that!!

Commander_Zero
02-08-2012, 23:32
Sounds interesting, but how does it use heat to produce electricity, and would it produce enough to actually charge something up.

its the Seebeck Effect. Heat the junction of two dissimilar metals and an electrical current is created. Same way they make radioisotope thermoelectric generators for satellites.

Nine Shooter
02-08-2012, 23:57
somebody make something that will generate electricity while using your wood burning stove. I will buy that!!

This. Turn your woodstove into a generator during power outages. That would sell like hotcakes.

Back
02-09-2012, 01:53
Yeah. I reserved one. I am a gadget lover and this is certainly a neat one.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

emt1581
02-09-2012, 06:10
This. Turn your woodstove into a generator during power outages. That would sell like hotcakes.

Ha!! I said this in an earlier thread.

Logistically, I don't see why it wouldn't work...but I'm guessing the stove has to come with it...not some aftermarket addition. But yeah...someone do that!!!...PLEASE!!!

-Emt1581

bdcochran
02-09-2012, 06:28
Ok EMT, google is your friend. "How to turn a wood stove into a generator". The "stove" does not look like your wood stove from the catalog. Essentially, it is a gassification unit that turns burning wood into gas that is passed into a generator. It isn't even close to a practical application for people in this forum.

Big Bird
02-09-2012, 08:31
I have a serious question. If things are so bad and you can't find a source of electricity to charge your cell phone how the hell are you going to use it? Cell towers don't work without electricity. I can charge my cell phone on my ATV, my car etc. If you have a 12 volt battery you can charge a cell phone. But a charged up cell phone is useless unless the cellular grid is up and running.

Commander_Zero
02-09-2012, 10:00
I have a serious question. If things are so bad and you can't find a source of electricity to charge your cell phone how the hell are you going to use it? Cell towers don't work without electricity. I can charge my cell phone on my ATV, my car etc. If you have a 12 volt battery you can charge a cell phone. But a charged up cell phone is useless unless the cellular grid is up and running.

Youre assuming that a cell phone only has one use. Most folks are running around with phones that act as data storage devices. Even if there is no cell signal, my iPhone can still be used as a flashlight, take pictures and video, run applications that might be useful (GPS, mapping, contact information, etc), be patched into an amateur radio rig, etc, etc.

WolfNotSheep
02-09-2012, 11:58
I've got two reserved, they should be out for "camping season" this spring. Im hoping a little sooner since the tax return I just got back is burning a serious hole in my pocket. For the money and the veritable litany of uses, it's well worth a try. Also, this is one more step in the right direction to turning my girlfriend into a serious outdoorswoman. If she can have her phone or MP3 player with her for tunes on the trail and angry birds at camp (without having to worry about hauling along a bunch of batteries and/or a charger along with a stove we'd be bringing anyway) I think she could bushcraft with the best of them.

Lone Kimono
02-09-2012, 12:05
I'd use it to charge my batteries for flashlights. That being said I really wonder about the durability of a device such as this.

cowboy1964
02-09-2012, 12:45
I'll wait and see what reviews say about how much juice this thing actually puts out. I'm skeptical.

racerford
02-09-2012, 13:16
I wonder why they show no specifications about output? However, there is one graphic that shows 5000watts of heat and a need for 1 watt to run a fan to make it more efficient burning. So it show put out at least one watt or 200 ma at 5 volts. It appears the efficiency is is ~1% or so. They produce 1-3 per cm2. I see modules that produce 15 watts on ebay.

So great if you have a good source of heat.

Bilbo Bagins
02-09-2012, 13:41
I'll wait and see what reviews say about how much juice this thing actually puts out. I'm skeptical.

I'm also waiting for the reviews. If it works as advertised, I would be really interested, and I think a lot of AT thru hikers would be too.

My problem with a solar charger is , the ones I seen don't work at all under the tree canopy of the woods I hike in, and even in direct sunlight they don't have enough ommph to charge the newer smartphones very well.

I have use wood stoves in the past, and you figure on a multi-day hike you would be cooking at least breakfast and dinner, and you can use it to make fires at night for warmth and enjoyment. If the output is decent enough that it could keep a cell phone that is on 24/7, and that makes one a quick call a day, fully charged for the whole trip, it would be a winner. It would also be a good thing to have at home in a blackout or to keep in a BOB. However if its a $129 half ass wood stove, with a charger that needs to burn for more than an hour just to get a trickle, it would be a waste of money. Also I wonder if there is any maintance involved, since wood burning camp stove can become a sooty, and I would think electronics and soot don't mix.

I'm not reserving it, but I'm eagerly waiting for the release and the reviews.

quake
02-09-2012, 19:21

Not exactly what you want, but not a new idea either. The ecofan has been out for quite a while (at least a decade), and simply circulates the air while the stove is hot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0atjrXmkLlY

emt1581
02-09-2012, 19:46
Ok EMT, google is your friend. "How to turn a wood stove into a generator". The "stove" does not look like your wood stove from the catalog. Essentially, it is a gassification unit that turns burning wood into gas that is passed into a generator. It isn't even close to a practical application for people in this forum.

This technology...if it pans out...is significantly better than a gassification system. If it is as I assume there are probably very few moving parts plus no real exhaust other than the smoke from the fire that is naturally gotten rid of through the stove-pipe.

But again, we have to see how this works, how durable it is, and how much energy it can produce.

-Emt1581

emt1581
02-09-2012, 19:47
I've got two reserved, they should be out for "camping season" this spring. Im hoping a little sooner since the tax return I just got back is burning a serious hole in my pocket. For the money and the veritable litany of uses, it's well worth a try. Also, this is one more step in the right direction to turning my girlfriend into a serious outdoorswoman. If she can have her phone or MP3 player with her for tunes on the trail and angry birds at camp (without having to worry about hauling along a bunch of batteries and/or a charger along with a stove we'd be bringing anyway) I think she could bushcraft with the best of them.

PLEASE write a review when you get it and chime back in after you've used the crap out of it!!

-Emt1581

emt1581
02-09-2012, 19:49
I wonder why they show no specifications about output? However, there is one graphic that shows 5000watts of heat and a need for 1 watt to run a fan to make it more efficient burning. So it show put out at least one watt or 200 ma at 5 volts. It appears the efficiency is is ~1% or so. They produce 1-3 per cm2. I see modules that produce 15 watts on ebay.

So great if you have a good source of heat.

The one thing I'd like to know is if there is a power storage device in it...like a battery. Reason being, that tends to be the weak spot that wears out the fastest and makes the device near useless.

-Emt1581

Bilbo Bagins
02-10-2012, 14:09
The one thing I'd like to know is if there is a power storage device in it...like a battery. Reason being, that tends to be the weak spot that wears out the fastest and makes the device near useless.

-Emt1581

I'm thinking there may be a battery, you figure wood burning cannot provide a steady current to directly charge a USB outlet. Its probably charging a battery which give a regulated current to the USB.

Good news - you might be able to get a limited charge without even needing to start a fire

Bad news - batteries have a limited lifespan.

I'm thinking if it has a battery, its replaceable. What would be awesome is if it was a common rechargeable battery like a CR123 or a AA and not a proprietary battery. Then you could buy your own when it craps out, and use fire to recharge other batteries for flashlights and other uses.

WolfNotSheep
02-13-2012, 11:46
Will do EMT. They actually sent me a little cardboard envelope a couple weeks back with a postcard informing me of my reservation of a stove and a 2-piece wooden cutout of one of the stoves in use.

As soon as I get it in I'll do up a review, and then follow-up after some hard use.