Critical Defense .45 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Critical Defense .45

travDMH
02-08-2012, 22:38
The guy at my LGS won't stop talking about these. Has there been any field results with them? Anybody carry them? They are 185 grain, which seems kinda light for a 45, no?

larson1122
02-08-2012, 23:22
I carry them in my Springfield XDm. They are relatively light for a .45 but they seem to perform well. Here's a couple links to tests that have been done.
.45 ACP Critical Defense Ballistics Gel Test - YouTube
Hornady Critical Defense FTX .45 ACP Bullet Penetration and Expansion Test. - YouTube

Merkavaboy
02-09-2012, 03:03
Until there's actual street results proving that CD works at stopping people, I wouldn't even consider using it. Humans are not made of ballistic gel, thus such tests prove nothing.

DocKWL
02-09-2012, 03:31
Until there's actual street results proving that CD works at stopping people, I wouldn't even consider using it. Humans are not made of ballistic gel, thus such tests prove nothing.

Ballistic gelatin provides volumes of useful information. That is why every ammunition manufacturer test their products with it.

larson1122
02-09-2012, 08:57

Kind of hard to find volunteers to test out the stopping power. Hence the invention of ballistic gel. I personally wouldn't like to be on the receiving end. :winkie:

cowboy1964
02-09-2012, 10:04
#1 They're expensive.

#2 185gr is too light for a .45 IMO. The allure of the .45, besides the wide wound cavity, is the high sectional density for the most momentum possible. That means 230gr.

#3 It's not "street proven" in the way that Gold Dots, Rangers, and HSTs are.

Zombie Max is basically the same as CD. Too shallow penetration.

.45 ACP ZOMBIE MAX Review and Ammo Test - YouTube

Will they get the job done? Most likely. But on cost alone I'd prefer to buy 50 round boxes of HSTs or whatnot. If CDs were demonstratively better than I might pay more for them, but they're not. The only advantage to them is you can more easily find them locally.

dp2002813
02-09-2012, 10:04
The Hornady marketing team is working overtime, I think, and doing a good job too. That said, I am still personally suspicious of the 185gr. It is just I like sticking to bullets I know have worked in the past... must be getting older.

I would recommend Gold Dot, Federal, or Winchester instead. JMHO

NG VI
02-09-2012, 10:39
50 rounds of 230 or 230+P HST or 20 rounds of what's basically an XTP without the very deep penetration.

The plug in my eyes is a gimmick, the better JHPs today don't seem to have any significant difficulty expanding after passing through clothing, and unless you have the harshest, most raggedy-ass pistol in the world, it will not aid in feeding. Most pistols don't have feeding ramps that connect with the bullet at the absolute tip, they hit it on the ogive.

HST works very well for that, since it's nice and round on the outer part of the bullet.