Barrel assembly [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Barrel assembly

mmd
02-09-2012, 03:29
Hi

I tryed to assemble my first barrel yesterday and it did not go as planed.
When i look at youtube videos they hand tight the barrel nut and then set the wrench to 35-50ft/pounds. I did the same but it feels like i have screwed the barrel in all the way. How hard should i push? I dont trust my wrench. Should push so much i can or should a kid be able to wrench it?

Mayhem like Me
02-09-2012, 08:09
did you coat the threads with anti seize compound and torque it up 3 times.. also is it a Ft lbs torque wrench and not an Inch pound???

Mayhem like Me
02-09-2012, 08:11
Hi

I tryed to assemble my first barrel yesterday and it did not go as planed.
When i look at youtube videos they hand tight the barrel nut and then set the wrench to 35-50ft/pounds. I did the same but it feels like i have screwed the barrel in all the way. How hard should i push? I dont trust my wrench. Should push so much i can or should a kid be able to wrench it?

Depends on the leverage of the bar on the wrench a long bar is pretty easy to get the click.

as above make sure it has anti seize compound...

mmd
02-09-2012, 08:13
Hi

I did noy useanti seize compound, should i use that?
I know its ft lbs.
When you have handtight the barrel nut how much should you torque it?
A half turn, a hole turn, more?

B.Reid
02-09-2012, 08:31
Hi

I know its ft lbs.

35 to 50 lbs.

Mayhem like Me
02-09-2012, 08:31
Hi

I know its ft lbs.

yes use the anit seize for sure...

After hand tight it depends but it's not a full turn , if you have to go a little over to get the hole to line up I prefer that...

mmd
02-09-2012, 09:41
Can i use red loc tite insted of anti seize compound. I cant find it in any store in my town and if i order online it takes 10days until i get it.

WoodenPlank
02-09-2012, 09:47
Can i use red loc tite insted of anti seize compound. I cant find it in any store in my town and if i order online it takes 10days until i get it.

Loc-tite will accomplish exactly the opposite of the anti-sieze, I believe.

Mayhem like Me
02-09-2012, 09:53

NO use a Moly grease if no anti seize can be found, auto parts stores have it get the kind without graphite,,,, use the moly grease.

Mayhem like Me
02-09-2012, 09:56
NO use a Moly grease if no anti seize can be found, auto parts stores have it get the kind without graphite,,,, use the moly grease.

If no moly grease is available use a synthetic oil . you want to keep the threads from galling.

mmd
02-09-2012, 10:09
Okej no i understand you mean like this one: http://www.jula.se/multispray-wd-40-1-pack-603217

It ses: Stops squeaks, cleans and protects, starts damp engines, loosens rusted parts and lubricates seized mechanisms.

If you got google chrome it will translete

WoodenPlank
02-09-2012, 10:18
Okej no i understand you mean like this one: http://www.jula.se/multispray-wd-40-1-pack-603217

It ses: Stops squeaks, cleans and protects, starts damp engines, loosens rusted parts and lubricates seized mechanisms.

If you got google chrome it will translete

No, not WD-40, either. You need something like this (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS434US434&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=anti-sieze#q=anti-seize&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS434US434&tbm=shop&prmd=imvns&source=lnt&tbs=cat:1753&sa=X&ei=hvEzT9DFA9CTtwfyjfWcAg&ved=0CCkQpwU&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=58109973ac8e7665&biw=1366&bih=667). If you have to order it online, do so.

Mayhem like Me
02-09-2012, 10:41
Molybdenum bearing grease will work...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

mmd
02-09-2012, 11:37
Not this ehtier? When i look for anti seize in our stores this comes up: An aerosol based on a drip paste containing a very fine copper powder. The agent contains anti-corrosive additives and is resistant to water and separating properties up to 1100 C

Please write what it does so i can go to the store and ask them if they have anything like it. I will look for moly. The stores closes in 1hours so please reply asap

M&P15T
02-09-2012, 11:50
Not this ehtier? When i look for anti seize in our stores this comes up: An aerosol based on a drip paste containing a very fine copper powder. The agent contains anti-corrosive additives and is resistant to water and separating properties up to 1100 C

Please write what it does so i can go to the store and ask them if they have anything like it. I will look for moly. The stores closes in 1hours so please reply asap

Go to an auto-parts store, ask for anti-seize grease, they will have it. LocTite is the exact opposite of what you need.

What does it do? It stops metals from seizing-up against each other over time, and stops corrosion from happening where two different metals are meeting.

Abull
02-09-2012, 12:21
Think wheel bearing grease. Any auto supply store has it.

surf
02-09-2012, 13:11
You must not have seen my video's then. :)

I might suggest you browse my channel in my signature.

mmd
02-09-2012, 14:10
I bought copper paste gresse. It looks like the lube on a new glock

mmd
02-09-2012, 16:27
Is it good?? I asked for wheel bearing grease and they told me to buy the copper paste.
The guy att the store told me is good for this becouse the barrel gets hot and everything and without it, it would be hard to remove it after a while but with this paste it will go easy. I have problems with how hard to torque the barrel. I have a wrench with ft/lbs but its no diffrens if i pick 20ft/lbs or 80ft. I have trowued the barrel real hard with my smith enterprise wrench. Im not that strong but i cant torque the barrel anymore. Can i torque it to hard with just my hands and the wrench(remember that im not that strong)?
Is it a chans that im to week? I use 25pounds whaights when i train my biceps but i can use maby 40punds and do only a few reps.

The feedramps on the barrel and upper is almost flush. When i look they seem to be flush but i can feel that its not 100% flush

Jack Black
02-09-2012, 17:05

Holy Crap! Maybe you should just get a gunsmith to do it for you.

javelinadave
02-09-2012, 20:59
Hand tighten it and turn the nut with the correct wrench till the teeth line up so you can pass the gas tube thru the upper receiver. I've done hundreds and have never used a torque wrench. I also dip a q-tip in wheel bearing grease (the copper past you bought will be fine) and coat the threads before I twist on the barrel nut.

Just a hint...... If you post your location on your profile you would be surprised how many members here will offer up assistance in person.

mmd
02-10-2012, 07:43
Hand tighten it and turn the nut with the correct wrench till the teeth line up so you can pass the gas tube thru the upper receiver. I've done hundreds and have never used a torque wrench. I also dip a q-tip in wheel bearing grease (the copper past you bought will be fine) and coat the threads before I twist on the barrel nut.

Just a hint...... If you post your location on your profile you would be surprised how many members here will offer up assistance in person.

Hi

The copper paste is wheel bearing grease according to the staff at the store.
I live in Sweden so i dont think that many can help me.
Thank you so much for your answer. I will do as you told. I have been using a torque wrench that are really long so i thing i have overtighten it but i have removed it and will do it your way. I have seen people doing it like you say on youtube videos but i was still afraid that if i dont tight it enough it will get lose.

Thanks

faawrenchbndr
02-10-2012, 08:47
:popcorn:

Mayhem like Me
02-10-2012, 08:48
Hi

The copper paste is wheel bearing grease according to the staff at the store.
I live in Sweden so i dont think that many can help me.
Thank you so much for your answer. I will do as you told. I have been using a torque wrench that are really long so i thing i have overtighten it but i have removed it and will do it your way. I have seen people doing it like you say on youtube videos but i was still afraid that if i dont tight it enough it will get lose.

Thanks

You have the proper torque wrench, use it... It does make a difference.