Reciprocity question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reciprocity question

eracer
02-09-2012, 05:53
Does anyone know why certain states have reciprocity with some, but not with others?

It drives me crazy that I can't carry in Nevada, but someone from Ohio can.

I'm not being flippant here - I really can't come up with a logical reason for selective reciprocity.

g23rob
02-09-2012, 05:56
this may help you
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

dosei
02-09-2012, 06:20
In a nutshell...requirements. Most commonly...training.

Case in point, South Carolina. SC, like many other states, requires that a person receive a little bit of training before being given a CWP. And they happily reciprocate with any state that has similar requirements for getting a CWP. Since SC's neighbor, GA, does not require any type of training whatsoever...SC does not honor a GA CWP. And since SC does not honor a GA CWP...GA does not honor a SC CWP. Same with all the others. Some states have certain requirements for obtaining a CWP and they have also written the reciprocity part of the law such that they only reciprocate with States that have similar requirements.

Given the number of people that have been arrested for having a gun somewhere that they cannot legally have one...it really is no surprise that several States want anyone with a CWP to have had a day of training where they are informed of such legalities...

eracer
02-09-2012, 06:24
^^ Thanks ^^

HerrGlock
02-09-2012, 06:27
NRS 202.3689 Department to prepare list of states that meet certain requirements concerning permits; Department to provide copy of list to law enforcement agencies in this State; Department to make list available to public.

1. On or before July 1 of each year, the Department shall:

(a) Examine the requirements for the issuance of a permit to carry a concealed firearm in each state and determine whether the requirements of each state are substantially similar to or more stringent than the requirements set forth in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.

(b) Determine whether each state has an electronic database which identifies each individual who possesses a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by that state and which a law enforcement officer in this State may access at all times through a national law enforcement telecommunications system.

(c) Prepare a list of states that meet the requirements of paragraphs (a) and (b). A state must not be included in the list unless the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association agrees with the Department that the state should be included in the list.

(d) Provide a copy of the list prepared pursuant to paragraph (c) to each law enforcement agency in this State.

2. The Department shall, upon request, make the list prepared pursuant to subsection 1 available to the public.

(Added to NRS by 2007, 3150)

Another rather common one that eliminates a lot of places is the requirement for a list of valid permits available 24/7 through a national database. Some states keep their records in the county issued and it's a paper list. You have to call and get a person to go look it up.

eracer
02-09-2012, 06:27
this may help you
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.htmlI didn't see anything on that page that told me why Nevada won't honor my Florida permit. It does show that both states are 'Shall Issue.'

But thanks for the reference anyway.

Jon_R
02-09-2012, 06:33
I didn't see anything on that page that told me why Nevada won't honor my Florida permit. It does show that both states are 'Shall Issue.'

Nevada dropped FL when it went to 7 years for permits vs. 5. That is what I read.

FL honors any states permit that honors FLs permits at least for residents of that state. I like FL's process for that makes it pretty easy. You take ours we will take yours.

EAJuggalo
02-09-2012, 06:58
And MN won't take either WI, ND or FL because there are ways around having to do a class and live fire exercise. One also must take into account that the politicians are deciding what certain words mean in the laws, so "substantially similar" becomes "As or more restrictive."

Pierre!
02-09-2012, 07:08
Does anyone know why certain states have reciprocity with some, but not with others?

I'm not being flippant here - I really can't come up with a logical reason for selective reciprocity.

I feel your pain!

I lived in Nevada for 26 years, my personal family is there... and Arizona lost reciprocity with them a few years ago when they dropped the round count for qual to 10! :wow:

National reciprocity is the only thing that makes sense.

Patrick

2-8 Marine
02-09-2012, 08:54
And just a note: The Republic of New York is too elitist to accept any others states CCW permit but their own.

cowboy1964
02-09-2012, 09:01
National Reciprocity would have prevented this.

Caver 60
02-09-2012, 09:43
Another rather common one that eliminates a lot of places is the requirement for a list of valid permits available 24/7 through a national database. Some states keep their records in the county issued and it's a paper list. You have to call and get a person to go look it up.

Interesting point HerrGlock. See my post number 19 and others in this thread.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1397558

So how does one find out if MO makes a list of valid permits available through a national data base? I know for sure the MO permits are all entered in MULES. Does MO make that list available to officers in other states?

Of course Illinois doesn't honor anyones permit anyway, but I'd sure like to know the answer.

HerrGlock
02-09-2012, 10:20
Interesting point HerrGlock. See my post number 19 and others in this thread.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1397558

So how does one find out if MO makes a list of valid permits available through a national data base? I know for sure the MO permits are all entered in MULES. Does MO make that list available to officers in other states?

Of course Illinois doesn't honor anyones permit anyway, but I'd sure like to know the answer.

Directly, I don't know. Ask a MO cop would be my suggestion.

However, if you go around the corner, so to speak, you can get an idea that it is available 24/7.

Check this West Virginia law that was passed:

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/bill_status/bills_text.cfm?billdoc=hb3314%20intr.htm&yr=2009&sesstype=RS&i=3314

61-7-6a. Reciprocity; out-of-state concealed handgun permits.
(...)
(2) This state's law-enforcement officers have continuous access to data bases on the criminal information network, twenty-four hours per day, seven days per week, to verify the continued validity of any license or permit to carry a concealed handgun that has been granted by the issuing state;
(...)

Now look at the states the AG accepts
http://www.wvago.gov/gunrecep.cfm

Full Reciprocity
(...)
Missouri

With that, my guess is yes there is a database that is reachable 24/7 to check the status of a permit in MO.

xmanhockey7
02-09-2012, 12:06
There are a lot of factors. Mostly it has to do with the requirements to get the permit. A lot of times, training, age, etc. Some states are statutory in that they will honor any state's permit that honors theirs. Or the state will simply allow any permit issued by any state. Some states are stricter than others. MN for example will not honor ND permit because even though the training, age, etc. are pretty much the same, there are crime disqualifications (DUI, felony, etc) that ND does not have as a disqualifier. And since ND only honors states who honor theirs a MN resident cannot carry there and likewise for a ND resident. I lived in MN over the summer about an hour away from Fargo. Many people from ND would go back and forth. Not to mention Moorhead, MN and Fargo are almost the same city.

Caver 60
02-09-2012, 12:10
Thanks HerrGlock You have confirmed my suspicions. I do know that MO prohibits public release of the CCW information. I.E. the newspaper can't print a list of licensees, and I can't check to see if my neighbor has a license.

But official agencies can certainly check. For instance when I renew my CCW license the License Office checks MULES first, to be sure the sheriff has correctly entered the info, before they make the new card for me.

But in the previously thread that I referenced, drobs (in his post number 18) seemed pretty positive that the information wouldn't come up if an Illinois LEO ran your MO drivers license on a routine traffic stop.

Quote drobs: "There is no CCW in Illinois. Illinois is not able to tell if you have a CCW license, they can not pull it up on their computer system. It means nothing to them but could lead to harassment."

I'm not sure if a MO officer would know if the info would come up in Illinois or not? I strongly suspect it would, since the MO CCW permit number is IDENTICAL to the MO drivers license number, even though both are on separate cards. Although in MO you can get the CCW put on the drivers license card if you want to.

I choose to use separate cards for check cashing/other non LEO interactions like voting etc., where I have to show the license to prove my identity. My last speeding ticket was in 1967, but if I'm ever stopped again, I personally plan to hand over both cards to the LEO. MO doesn't require disclosure, unless asked. But I'd rather do the telling than have the officer do the asking. JMO

HerrGlock
02-09-2012, 12:13
Thanks HerrGlock You have confirmed my suspicions. I do know that MO prohibits public release of the CCW information. I.E. the newspaper can't print a list of licensees, and I can't check to see if my neighbor has a license.

But official agencies can certainly check. For instance when I renew my CCW license the License Office checks MULES first, to be sure the sheriff has correctly entered the info, before they make the new card for me.

But in the previously thread that I referenced, drobs (in his post number 18) seemed pretty positive that the information wouldn't come up if an Illinois LEO ran your MO drivers license on a routine traffic stop.

Quote drobs: "There is no CCW in Illinois. Illinois is not able to tell if you have a CCW license, they can not pull it up on their computer system. It means nothing to them but could lead to harassment."

I'm not sure if a MO officer would know if the info would come up in Illinois or not? I strongly suspect it would, since the MO CCW permit number is IDENTICAL to the MO drivers license number, even though both are on separate cards. Although in MO you can get the CCW put on the drivers license card if you want to.

I choose to use separate cards for check cashing/other non LEO interactions like voting etc., where I have to show the license to prove my identity. My last speeding ticket was in 1967, but if I'm ever stopped again, I personally plan to hand over both cards to the LEO. MO doesn't require disclosure, unless asked. But I'd rather do the telling than have the officer do the asking. JMO

Now you're asking a different question.

I have no idea if your CCW comes up if you get pulled over in a different state. Personally, I'd ask a cop in another state to run my license and ask if it does before I made any assumption about it at all.

TactiCool
02-09-2012, 13:09
this may help you

Well, it's good to see that most states will honor a Louisiana CWP. I will probably get one very soon and the local place that gives the class says its 9 hours long! Can't wait.

kensteele
02-09-2012, 17:12

In case you didn't know, as a FL resident you are free to obtain permits from other states besides FL. Usually your non-resident permit will be accepted in other states just like a resident permit but ymmv. Then if a state doesn't accept your FL permit, perhaps they will accept your UT, PA, or NH permit.

Angry Fist
02-09-2012, 17:20
It's good to be from MO. I think we're up to 38 states now.

xmanhockey7
02-10-2012, 02:48
It's good to be from MO. I think we're up to 38 states now.

Michigan is still #1. MI license is recognized in every state that recognizes other states permits.

eracer
02-10-2012, 04:34
In case you didn't know, as a FL resident you are free to obtain permits from other states besides FL. Usually your non-resident permit will be accepted in other states just like a resident permit but ymmv. Then if a state doesn't accept your FL permit, perhaps they will accept your UT, PA, or NH permit.Didn't think of that.

What I see from the map is that I could get a non-res from Arizona (Shall Issue res. and non-res.) Nevada honors non-res. from AZ.

Some hoop jumping, but problem solved.

Thanks.

grg3d
02-10-2012, 04:56
Well not to sound crazy but why don't we have a Federal permit good in all states?

HerrGlock
02-10-2012, 04:58
Well not to sound crazy but why don't we have a Federal permit good in all states?

Do you really want a federal registration of firearm owners?

grg3d
02-10-2012, 05:20
Well if I had a choice to choose 1 state or all states to be aloud to cary in I would perfer all states. and I don't think its a bad thing to have live fire training as a condition to carry or any training before some one can carry.
They did a background check when I applied for my CWP and every time I purchased a firearm they called it in so you realy don't think they have a list allready?

The permit should be like your driver licence good in all states not just the one you live in...so maybe a standard should be set that would alow for this.

Would you please explain why this would be a bad idear?

eracer
02-10-2012, 05:25
Well if I had a choice to choose 1 state or all states to be aloud to cary in I would perfer all states. and I don't think its a bad thing to have live fire training as a condition to carry or any training before some one can carry.
They did a background check when I applied for my CWP and every time I purchased a firearm they called it in so you realy don't think they have a list allready?

The permit should be like your driver licence good in all states not just the one you live in...so maybe a standard should be set that would alow for this.

Would you please explain why this would be a bad idear?Since we need a permit to carry (sorry to say...) it seems that - as you say - what's the difference whose list we're on? PERSEC is sadly impossible when one chooses to legally carry. Might as well enjoy the benefits that National Reciprocity would bring.

werkz
02-10-2012, 06:48
I very much prefer having the STATES in charge of concealed carry. Even though we might prefer a federal permit that allows to carry in all states, that will never happen. There are a number of states that would complain loud enough that the Fed would exclude them. And once the feds get their hands on our CHL / CWPs, they'll ratchet up the requirements and I suspect our children / grandchildren won't have the privilege at all. At least with the states doing it, there is a degree of competition. Lack of having a functioning process for carrying is part of the reason I won't move to California. I'm all about states rights and not making a deal with the devil (in this case, the Federal Government) for some perceived short term convenience.

I have held up to 3 active permits at a time, but am currently down to 2.

EAJuggalo
02-10-2012, 06:59
Then what would you do? We can't be afraid of putting out good laws because of what may happen years from now. If we do we're never going to get anything done and we're going to lose what we have now. The recognition bill that passed the house is about as good a bill as I've ever seen in congress.

cadillacguns
02-10-2012, 07:04
Indiana's Lifetime carry just about anywhere handgun permit is fantastic, no big bull crap to get one, no hoop to jump through before you receive it. Because of that simple no bull crap philosophy towards the second ammendment here, some states wont honor our lil Pink colored card unless we permit holders meet their requirements. If you have a recipricol permit from your state honored by Indiana, come on down, we welcome you here, have a safe and good time.

HerrGlock
02-10-2012, 07:04

Who gets to choose the standard?

Here is what will happen sooner rather than later should your idea come to be. This is exactly what this bill does, attempts to establish a federal standard so all CCW permits are uniform:

A BILL

To establish minimum standards for States that allow the carrying of concealed firearms.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Common Sense Concealed Firearms Permit Act of 2011'.

SEC. 2. CONCEALED FIREARMS PERMITS.

(a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926C, the following:

`Sec. 926D. Concealed firearms permits

`(a) In General- Each State that allows residents of the State to carry concealed firearms shall--

`(1) establish a process to issue permits to residents of the State to carry concealed firearms; and

`(2) require that each resident of the State seeking to carry a concealed firearm in the State obtain a permit through the process established under paragraph (1).

`(b) Requirements- In establishing a process to issue permits to carry concealed firearms under subsection (a), a State shall--

`(1) ensure that a local law enforcement agency participates in the process; and

`(2) at a minimum, require that an applicant for a permit to carry a concealed firearm--

`(A) be a legal resident of the United States;

`(B) be not less than 21 years of age;

`(C) demonstrate good cause for requesting a concealed firearm permit; and

`(D) demonstrate that the applicant is worthy of the public trust to carry a concealed firearm in public.

`(c) Law Enforcement Agency Report- If a State establishes a process under subsection (a) that allows for an agency other than a law enforcement agency to issue permits to carry concealed firearms, the process shall require that--

`(1) a local law enforcement agency submit to the agency responsible for issuing permits a written report that describes whether the applicant meets the standards of the State to carry a concealed firearm; and

`(2) the agency responsible for issuing permits maintain a report submitted under paragraph (1) in the file of the applicant.

`(d) Definition- In this section, the term `local law enforcement agency' means a law enforcement agency of the unit of local government with jurisdiction of the area in which the applicant for a permit to carry a concealed firearm resides.

`(e) Compliance- Not later than 270 days after the date of enactment of this section, each State described in subsection (a) shall be in compliance with this section.'.

(b) Technical and Conforming Amendment- The table of sections for chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926C the following:

`926D. Concealed firearms permits.'.

END

No thanks. The way it is is infinitely preferable.

werkz
02-10-2012, 07:11
I know that for many the US Constitution is an obsolete document that should be worked around. We have hundreds of years of cases that continue to aggregate power federally (don't get me started with the Commerce Clause). However, I prefer to follow what our Constitution provides. My first preference would be to recognize that the 2nd Amendment controls concealed carry. Barring that, I would prefer to use the 10th Amendment and have the states license. I admit I'm a bit of a traditionalist though.

redbaron007
02-10-2012, 07:58
As long as CCW is a privilege...i.e. permit based even under the CC, the states need to maintain control and establish reciprocity between themselves. However, once CCW is under the 2A, then I might consider the feds having some control over it.

:wavey:

red

Jon_R
02-10-2012, 08:10
As long as CCW is a privilege...i.e. permit based even under the CC, the states need to maintain control and establish reciprocity between themselves. However, once CCW is under the 2A, then I might consider the feds having some control over it.

red

If it is in the 2nd and covered under the shall not be infringed part then it becomes real simple.... Adult US Citizen with full rights (non felon) then carry however you want works for me. Nobody needs control except the citizen for grip and retention...

eracer
02-10-2012, 10:19
I've found a bunch of conflicting info regarding Nevada's reciprocity laws - they change their law more often than the Vegas dealers hit 21 when I'm standing on 20.

Here's another site that looks to be comprehensive and up-to-date, and provides a ton of information about each state's laws when you click on the state. And it seems to be regularly updated as well.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

xmanhockey7
02-10-2012, 13:45

We should also require IQ tests to make sure people are competent enough to vote. What other rights are we going to require testing and a permit for?

eracer
02-10-2012, 14:02
We should also require IQ tests to make sure people are competent enough to vote. What other rights are we going to require testing and a permit for?I didn't have to take an IQ test to get my CCW permit. Which state requires that?

glock_collector
02-10-2012, 14:25
National carry permit today, regulation tomorrow. Cali here we all come- 10 round mags, ect...Can you say Canada kids?? Be careful on reciprocity listings, some states will only honor your permit if you are a resident of the state that issued the permit.(Colorado)Mn is pretty good, we need to work on N-dak!!

janice6
02-10-2012, 14:28
To OP:

Because politicians determine reciprocity.......Very little of what they do is based on common sense.

Caver 60
02-10-2012, 21:04

Here is what will happen sooner rather than later should your idea come to be. This is exactly what this bill does, attempts to establish a federal standard so all CCW permits are uniform:

Under (b) (2) (C) and (D) are two very good reasons this bill should not be passed.

`(b) Requirements- In establishing a process to issue permits to carry concealed firearms under subsection (a), a State shall--

`(1) ensure that a local law enforcement agency participates in the process; and

`(2) at a minimum, require that an applicant for a permit to carry a concealed firearm--

`(A) be a legal resident of the United States;

`(B) be not less than 21 years of age;

`(D) demonstrate that the applicant is worthy of the public trust to carry a concealed firearm in public.

This tells me the license would be 'might issue' rather than shall issue. In many states who can demonstrate "good cause" or being "worthy of the public trust"?

No thanks.

xmanhockey7
02-10-2012, 21:16
HR 822 would only make all states recognize each others permits. It would not create a federal mandate.

HerrGlock
02-11-2012, 03:19
HR 822 would only make all states recognize each others permits. It would not create a federal mandate.

For now, yes. What about next year or four years from now when anti gun people are the majority in congress?

Once you allow fed laws to interfere with this what's stopping them from working in the bill I posted later?

At least right now you could argue 10th amendment and such to overturn the law I posted but if you pass 822 you've already agreed the feds have jurisdiction over ensuring states do their bidding RE: CCW permits.

emopunker2004
02-11-2012, 03:22
I didn't see anything on that page that told me why Nevada won't honor my Florida permit. It does show that both states are 'Shall Issue.'

It is because FL went from a 5yr permit to a 7yr permit. Stupid isn't it?

xmanhockey7
02-11-2012, 03:37
For now, yes. What about next year or four years from now when anti gun people are the majority in congress?

Once you allow fed laws to interfere with this what's stopping them from working in the bill I posted later?

At least right now you could argue 10th amendment and such to overturn the law I posted but if you pass 822 you've already agreed the feds have jurisdiction over ensuring states do their bidding RE: CCW permits.

What would prevent the antis from passing those laws without HR822 passing?

redbaron007
02-11-2012, 10:34
What would prevent the antis from passing those laws without HR822 passing?

For one reason, to get the bill passed initially is difficult; revising the bill after it is signed into law is much easier. The libs have attempted every year to pass more restrictive laws on gun control; some never see the light of day, others do make it to a committee but never get out.

After the bill becomes law, it can more easily modified by the ruling party, hence you don't want to open that door, or let the camel's nose under the tent. The current bill falls under the CC; stating it is a privilege, not a right. Having a bill similar to this under the 2A, would be more effective. Having the SCOTUS rule that carrying outside of the home is a right, not a privilege, would be the greatest!! :thumbsup:

Therefore, HB822 is bad law. :wow:

red

dosei
02-11-2012, 13:00

Really...

Take a little time to read and think it through...

That right there is a federal mandate requiring applicants to submit some type of "proof" of why they need to carry a concealed weapon. It's little phrases like this that you will not find in the laws of "shall issue" states. It's little phrases like this that make it possible for the authorities to freely deny any and all permit applications. Little phrases like this are what make it impossible to get a NYC CWP. Little phrases like this completely undermine the "shall issue" concept and turn it into "can issue".

John Biltz
02-12-2012, 08:58
If you want to know if a state honors your CCW go to the state's homepage and look it up. Anything else could lead to trouble. If its on their webpage and its wrong then you at least have a leg to stand on.
http://nvrepository.state.nv.us/ccw_changes.shtml

I've found a bunch of conflicting info regarding Nevada's reciprocity laws - they change their law more often than the Vegas dealers hit 21 when I'm standing on 20.

Here's another site that looks to be comprehensive and up-to-date, and provides a ton of information about each state's laws when you click on the state. And it seems to be regularly updated as well.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

xmanhockey7
02-12-2012, 21:21
Really...

Take a little time to read and think it through...

That right there is a federal mandate requiring applicants to submit some type of "proof" of why they need to carry a concealed weapon. It's little phrases like this that you will not find in the laws of "shall issue" states. It's little phrases like this that make it possible for the authorities to freely deny any and all permit applications. Little phrases like this are what make it impossible to get a NYC CWP. Little phrases like this completely undermine the "shall issue" concept and turn it into "can issue".

What are you quoting? `(C) demonstrate good cause for requesting a concealed firearm permit; and

liberty addict
02-12-2012, 22:31

I totally agree with you, Herr Glock, and I must say those who don't need some education on how the federal government works. Not how it's SUPPOSED to work, but how it actually operates.

dosei
02-13-2012, 05:48
What are you quoting? `(C) demonstrate good cause for requesting a concealed firearm permit; and

HerrGlock's post #29 of this thread.

HerrGlock
02-13-2012, 06:48
HerrGlock's post #29 of this thread.

Mine's not HR822, mine's a bill to ensure all states CCW permits are similar. It's the next logical step after HR822. It's being put before congress this year as well.

Gunnut 45/454
02-13-2012, 10:36
I disagree with whats been posted so far - the main reason is Politics! NY and Kominfornia, NJ,MA.HI are the examples! They didn't even want CCW and they made dam sure that would limit it as much as possible!:steamed: Look at the real FREE states like mine, ID accepts all CCW's !! It's about limiting the freedom of carry - Period!

frontier2011
02-16-2012, 13:17
this may help you

That map is incorrect. DONT USE IT!:yawn:

Clutch Cargo
02-16-2012, 14:57
Some don't like the fact that Texas will give a CHL to someone 18 years of age (active duty military or veteran).

Bren
02-16-2012, 15:27

It's not logical, but it doesn't have to be.

The more nanny-ish states sometimes think other states don't require enough training or don't have strict enough rules. Some other states only have reciprocity with those that give their citizens reciprocity by agreement and, usually, the reason they don't have it is because nobody bothered to get an agreement signed between the states.