Are canteens (with cups) still a good way to carry water on your person? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are canteens (with cups) still a good way to carry water on your person?

lonewolf01
02-09-2012, 17:36
Are they still used or is there a modern improvement? I like the fact that it comes with the stainless steel cup for cooking.

Edited to add this: Amazon.com: Guyot Designs Stainless Steel Water Bottle - The Backpacker: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21JSKofx-rL.@@AMEPARAM@@21JSKofx-rL

It's a bottle that you can boil water in directly if necessary. Good reviews.

quake
02-09-2012, 18:40
I still have a couple old canteen/cup/stove kits, but don't use them anymore. Nothing "wrong" with them, just heavier than I think necessary anymore; plus the canteen (as far as I know) can't take hot liquids like a nalgene or similar bottle can do. You can pour boiling water into a nalgene; don't know how an old plastic military canteen would fare if you did that.

Another approach that works is to simply use a nalgene bottle with a nested nalgene cup. Glacier is the brand of cup I have; there may be others as well. If you don't mind some home-tinkering, you can make up a nesting stove to go with the setup as well, from a 12-ounce coffee can:

Nalgene bottle, glacier cup, and home-made stove, nested:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Rostov_stove7.jpg

Cup, and the stove tipped up to show the vent/airflow holes:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Rostov_stove3.jpg

How the cup sits on the stove during use. Stove can burn esbit, trioxane, pieces from fire-log starters, or even just twigs. Basically, anything combustible you want to stick in there:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Rostov_stove2.jpg

Wish I could claim it as my idea, but it's one I picked up from another forum a long time ago.

Aceman
02-09-2012, 18:51
Nalgene + Glacier is how i roll in my Jumbo.

I have a bladder in my pack

And a CANTEEN on my shoulder!

+/- to each.

Commander_Zero
02-09-2012, 21:00
Nalgene bottle and a Snow Peak cup/pot.....been really pleased with the combo.

bdcochran
02-09-2012, 21:55
The Infantry Equipment Board during the First World War adopted an aluminum one quart canteen and matching cup for use by soldiers fighting in trenches across Europe. It was changed to stainless steel from aluminum; included a screw top cap; and was given an insulated cover to keep water cooler.

By the Vietnam Conflict in the 1960s, the U.S. Military had moved away from metal canteens in favor of the M1961 olive drab polyethylene plastic canteen. The new plastic ones were found to retain water better

Combat missions in hot, dry areas of the Middle East and Asia coupled with better knowledge of hydration have led to new approaches to keep soldiers properly hydrated in extreme conditions.

Today, soldiers use a variety of canteens and hydration systems. These range from standard one quart plastic canteens to larger two quart canteens and large canvass water buckets. Soldiers also have the option of carrying "hydration packs. There is even an option of carrying a canvass "bladder" that is equipped with a hose and can carry 2.5 liters of water.

Bolster
02-09-2012, 23:10
home-made stove, nested...

Love that home made stove, Quake. Clever dude you are. Must make one of those for meself.

Now how do I get that large hole in the top?

quake
02-10-2012, 06:35
First, not my idea; I got it from a guy named mrostov on another forum years ago. I'm just clever enough to copy good ideas. :)

Hole saw, going slow, for top hole and large side holes. Normal 1/8" drill bit for the small holes around the top edge.

Tom Kanik
02-10-2012, 10:48
A canteen and cup got me through a tour in VietNam, and I still prefer them. However, I prefer a metal canteen.

M1A Shooter
02-10-2012, 11:24
i rely on bladders for hydration but do keep a usgi plastic canteen and metal cup for cooking. i use the canteen to treat water chemically so i dont get dirty water in my bladders. i will transfer the water once it has been treated.

i have been thinking of moving to a nalgene and cup like Quake showed above but for now, this works for me.

lonewolf01
02-10-2012, 11:54
Thanks for the reply guys.

Bilbo Bagins
02-10-2012, 13:37
i rely on bladders for hydration but do keep a usgi plastic canteen and metal cup for cooking. i use the canteen to treat water chemically so i dont get dirty water in my bladders. i will transfer the water once it has been treated.

i have been thinking of moving to a nalgene and cup like Quake showed above but for now, this works for me.

I usually use a bladder, but I also run a cup with a steel water bottle nested in it like quake has. Those wide mouth steel sports bottles are pretty cheap these days, and you can boil water in them just like a pot if needed. I know you can do the same with a "full" Nalgene, but that always kind of creeped me out with chemical exposure and the possible health risk. Also I would avoid Canteens and Cups made out of aluminum. Spend the extra money to get the steel or Ti version.

RichJ
02-10-2012, 21:42
I also have the Glacier cup nested in a Nalgene bottle and that set up works very well. I don't use a stove though. I either just spread out some campfire coals and place it directly on them or, if I use something like Esbit, I'll set up some small rocks and set it on top with the fuel underneath.

A scotchbright pad will shine the bottom back up if it blackens any, but I don't do that in the field. A wet leaf works just fine to remove any ash or carbon that gets on it. I like my cup shiny and new looking when I'm done but most people don't care if it burnishes a little.

IV Troop
02-11-2012, 06:11
Many may not know this but Nalgene makes bottles shaped like the traditional GI canteen bottles. I have a couple in various colors. I like the shape of them and they fit well in some of my packs. If you have an old GI cup, but do not like the taste of the water that you get from the GI canteens, then the Nalgenes would be a solution.

Hope this info helps

lonewolf01
02-11-2012, 08:35
Many may not know this but Nalgene makes bottles shaped like the traditional GI canteen bottles. I have a couple in various colors. I like the shape of them and they fit well in some of my packs. If you have an old GI cup, but do not like the taste of the water that you get from the GI canteens, then the Nalgenes would be a solution.

Hope this info helps

Yes, very helpful. It also received great reviews on amazon.com and is BPA free plastic. Get the cup and cover with it and it looks good.

Big Bird
02-11-2012, 08:47
I always have two ways to make water and several ways to store it. At home I have about 4 or 5 ways to make water and a couple hundred gallons of storage available.

In my BOB I prefer the bladder as primary and a couple of Nalgene bottles as backup.

At home I prefer my 40 gallon blue barrels as primary and smaller 7 gallon plastic jugs as backup.

At home my primary water maker is a Royal Berkey. Followed by lots of bleach. Followed by a small hand pumped filter.

In my GHB the primary water maker is a Katadyn Pocket Filter followed by water purification tablets (PUR).

You have to look at water from a system standpoint not from a thing your need to store/carry standpoint. You cannot carry or store enough water to be relevant for more than a few days and maybe a week or two at home unless you have some huge storage capacity for potable water.

humanguerrilla
02-11-2012, 12:00

Hope this info helps

Amazon.com: Nalgene BPA Free Tritan Oasis Canteen 32 Oz Narrow Mouth Bottle: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/318WNPx5R6L.@@AMEPARAM@@318WNPx5R6L

I like them and they fit molle canteen pouches.

IV Troop
02-11-2012, 13:44
Yep,

That is exactly what I have. Plus the red ones. Pretty handy.

Javelin
02-11-2012, 14:04
Nalgene + Glacier is how i roll in my Jumbo.

I have a bladder in my pack

And a CANTEEN on my shoulder!

+/- to each.

That's a good plan TBH.

I have some RFI military issued Skillcraft Camelbak. I never used it because I had a real Camelbak issued as well. But I like the Skillcraft as the insert is a 5qt OD green blivot w/ military screw head and heavy cord. I mean you can literally clean it out just like a 5qt only that it is oblong shaped.

I am keeping it for that rainy day I really need to pack water. :wavey:

WolfNotSheep
02-13-2012, 11:29
I still carry a US 1qt canteen with cup and stove. The cup fits a package of Ramen noodles perfectly and is just the right size. I also EDC a stainless steel, single walled water bottle. This stays with me at work and in the car. I got it at Walgreens for $5.99 and it can be boiled in.

dirtdart504
02-13-2012, 16:16
I also still carry my USGI 1qt canteen with cup and stove. The canteen can hydrate me if I am in a Chem/Bio enviroment and in my pro mask (hope I am not walking out). In a non-Chem/bio Enviroment he canteen Cup is just perfect for heating up a cup of something warm to make the mornings suck less

Bolster
02-14-2012, 00:16
Also I would avoid Canteens and Cups made out of aluminum. Spend the extra money to get the steel or Ti version.

If the concern is Alzheimer's, that hypothesis has long ago been put to rest (http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=99), like 20 years ago. The residual aluminum was discovered to be an effect, not a cause, of alzheimer's. Aluminum isn't dangerous as a cooking utensil, and so even less as a simple container. You get way more aluminum from antacid meds, beer, and tea than a cooking utensil, and no link has been found there, either.

If aluminum still freaks you out, then stop drinking beer, and don't drink your O.J. out of an aluminum cup. Acid makes more aluminum available for uptake.

Don't even get me started on this PBA nonsense.

Dexters
02-14-2012, 07:02
Are they still used or is there a modern improvement? I like the fact that it comes with the stainless steel cup for cooking.

It's a bottle that you can boil water in directly if necessary. Good reviews.

You need to think about your equipment in the context of:

How it works within a system - not individually. So for for cups and such you need to think about cooking (including the stove you are using), carrying water, eating and water purification.

Then you need to think about:
Weight
Durability
Cost

So just looking at that one item doesn't mean much.

======
That cup would be terrible with a canister stove - too top heavy, tip over & narrow base - heat lost out the side, need a long spoon to eat out of & difficult to clean in the field.

wjv
02-14-2012, 10:29

Have two of each. . Really like them as they are light weight and are a real space saver!

mikekj
02-14-2012, 19:29
I've been using a Camelback for many years and love it.

lonewolf01
03-10-2012, 19:31
I still have a couple old canteen/cup/stove kits, but don't use them anymore. Nothing "wrong" with them, just heavier than I think necessary anymore; plus the canteen (as far as I know) can't take hot liquids like a nalgene or similar bottle can do. You can pour boiling water into a nalgene; don't know how an old plastic military canteen would fare if you did that.

Another approach that works is to simply use a nalgene bottle with a nested nalgene cup. Glacier is the brand of cup I have; there may be others as well. If you don't mind some home-tinkering, you can make up a nesting stove to go with the setup as well, from a 12-ounce coffee can:

Cup, and the stove tipped up to show the vent/airflow holes:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Rostov_stove3.jpg

How the cup sits on the stove during use. Stove can burn esbit, trioxane, pieces from fire-log starters, or even just twigs. Basically, anything combustible you want to stick in there:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Rostov_stove2.jpg

Wish I could claim it as my idea, but it's one I picked up from another forum a long time ago.

How do you carry this set-up? Is there a cover for it? Can you clip it to a belt?

quake
03-11-2012, 12:37
In a maxpedition bottle carrier, the larger 5"x12" version. The nalgene bottle in that setup I only use to hold trioxane & esbit anymore; not water. I prefer the burn properties of esbit, but trioxane is much easier to light in bad conditions so I carry some of both.

In a pinch, the stove can be used with twigs & such, but I prefer the convenience of pre-made solid fuel tabs. (What can I say, I prefer doing things the easy way when possible... :) )

lonewolf01
03-11-2012, 13:38
In a maxpedition bottle carrier, the larger 5"x12" version. The nalgene bottle in that setup I only use to hold trioxane & esbit anymore; not water. I prefer the burn properties of esbit, but trioxane is much easier to light in bad conditions so I carry some of both.

In a pinch, the stove can be used with twigs & such, but I prefer the convenience of pre-made solid fuel tabs. (What can I say, I prefer doing things the easy way when possible... :) )

So you don't actualy carry water in the bottle? Why? And what do you carry it in?

quake
03-11-2012, 14:34
So you don't actualy carry water in the bottle? Why? And what do you carry it in?
That's what the 5"x12" maxpedition bottle carrier is for. I carry the nested setup in that; actually upside down so the stove & cup are on top nearest the opening, making it easier to retrieve everything.

I don't carry water in that bottle; but do in others. My pack carries three other, smaller 750ml stainless bottles. Two of those are dedicated water-only, and the third carries snack items like slim-jims & such. This third one is kept clean; all the items inside it are sealed, and it could be used for water if desired.

Carrying that one particular bottle with only fuel tabs is just a convenient way to keep stove, cookpot (cup), and fuel all together in one package, in one pouch. Problem with esbit - other than being harder to light than trioxane - is that it does smell somewhat. Not hugely, but some. Keeping it in that one bottle, in that one pouch, keeps the smell away from the things in the pack and in the other pouches.

RMTactical
03-11-2012, 20:17
I like camelbacks and such, but the bladders can break easier than a canteen or something I would guess...

Lt Scott 14
03-15-2012, 23:23
After 30+yrs of camping, hiking and hunting, still use my uncles WW2 Canteen, cup and od insulated cover. Compass, canteen w/cup, Kbar knife and 2 ammo cases holding med supplies, fire making, cordage, Viet nam issue boonie hat(od w/med long brim), poncho, and butte pack. Can cover a few miles and stretch out a night if needed.

arabianights
03-19-2012, 19:05
i use Nalgene canteen with a military canteen cup, fits each other perfectly.

blueyedmule
03-25-2012, 09:03
Dave Canterbury of Dual Survival is pretty big on the Guyot Designs or other single-wall stainless bottles that don't have plastic collars/threads as a great dual-purpose item in that you can both carry and heat up/cook in it. He tries to keep all his gear or as much as possible multi-purpose in order to cut down on what he carries. I like his thinking--it's too easy to get a mountain of gear and think that that solves all problems. I know I'm susceptible to some extent--thank God I don't have the kind of money to act on those impulses, it forces me to try to think more minimalist and to consider that many problems are solved through lateral thinking than linear gear-oriented solutions.