Arizona - visiting Texan can OC? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Arizona - visiting Texan can OC?

Keoking
02-09-2012, 20:21
Going to Arizona for a wedding later this year, and should have my Tucker HF1 by then.
If the mood strikes, I can walk around in public in the Chandler area with a pistol in plain view?

xmanhockey7
02-10-2012, 03:47
Going to Arizona for a wedding later this year, and should have my Tucker HF1 by then.
If the mood strikes, I can walk around in public in the Chandler area with a pistol in plain view?

Yes, provided you do not go somewhere where liquor is sold and consumed on premises (Applebees, any bar, ect.). You may carry concealed in those places IF you have a carry permit. You can concealed carry or open carry without a permit in AZ.

ETA:http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf
Prohibitions on carrying firearms in these venues apply to both open and concealed carry.
 Any establishment or event open to the public where the operator makes a reasonable request for you to give them custody or remove the weapon from the premises. A sign would qualify for such request. By law, cities and counties are required to offer on-site storage if they ban weapons but not all are in compliance.
 The grounds of any school, other than the parking lot. In order to be legal in the parking lot the weapon must be unloaded, and, if left in an unattended vehicle, such vehicle must be locked and the weapon out of sight.
 Commercial nuclear or hydroelectric generating stations.
 Polling places on Election Day.
 Correctional facilities (this includes the parking lot of such facilities).
 Game refuges (except during an authorized hunt).

A. A person with a permit issued pursuant to section 13-3112 may carry a concealed handgun on the premises of a licensee who is an on-sale retailer unless the licensee posts a sign that clearly prohibits the possession of weapons on the licensed premises. The sign shall conform to the following requirements:
1. Be posted in a conspicuous location accessible to the general public and immediately adjacent to the liquor license posted on the licensed premises.
2. Contain a pictogram that shows a firearm within a red circle and a diagonal red line across the firearm.
3. Contain the words, "no firearms allowed pursuant to A.R.S. section 4-229". B. A person shall not carry a firearm on the licensed premises of an on-sale retailer if the licensee has posted
the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section. C. It is an affirmative defense to a violation of subsection B of this section if:
1. The person was not informed of the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section before the violation.
2. Any one or more of the following apply: (a) At the time of the violation the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section had fallen down. (b) At the time of the violation the person was not a resident of this state. (c) The licensee had posted the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section not more than thirty
days before the violation. D. The department of liquor licenses and control shall prepare the signs required by this section and make
them available at no cost to licensees.
Note: If you do not have a permit/license issued by the State of Arizona or any other state you can not carry into places that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises.

Sam Spade
02-10-2012, 08:33
Heck, you can conceal w/o a permit. Open carry isn't generally cause for concern.

Only cultural shift for you is that there is no 30.06 sign. Any format that conveys the property owner's wish for no firearms has the weight of law, and it's trespass to ignore it. The signage talked about above deals only with liquor establishments. That's the "licensee" and "retailer" stuff.

Pierre!
02-10-2012, 10:34
I will wager that anyone who OC's will get the opportunity to meet our fine police department officers...

Just guessing, but that's just me...

xmanhockey7
02-10-2012, 14:47
I will wager that anyone who OC's will get the opportunity to meet our fine police department officers...

Actually OC in AZ is very accepted. And even if you are as long as you're not breaking the law what's the problem?

RGbiker
02-10-2012, 15:24

And you would lose the wager with me. I OC in Tucson almost daily for past several years without attracting police involvement, without provoking soccer moms to clutch their children and run screaming, without traumatizing children or without harming little kittens.

Of course, YMMV.

barnettbill
02-11-2012, 12:24

Lived in Phoenix for 12 years (until '05) never had a problem. Open carry is normal in AZ.

Teufelhunde
02-11-2012, 20:00

Even in the liberal enclaves of AZ (like Tucson, Flagstaff), open carry is common and no cause for concern.

YMMV

Keoking
02-11-2012, 20:14
I have a Texas permit. If I conceal in AZ, does it have to stay concealed continuously? For instance, I have it OWB on my hip with a open button down shirt as a cover garment. The wind blows up and the pistol is exposed, and then covered again. Is this sort of concealed/OC/concealed situation a violation in AZ?

Andrewsky
02-11-2012, 20:30
I have a Texas permit. If I conceal in AZ, does it have to stay concealed continuously? For instance, I have it OWB on my hip with a open button down shirt as a cover garment. The wind blows up and the pistol is exposed, and then covered again. Is this sort of concealed/OC/concealed situation a violation in AZ?

No it's not.

WacoGlock
02-12-2012, 09:37
I have a Texas CHL and I stayed in A RV park for 2 years in Mesa.OC and never had a problem. Wish we could get OC here in Texas but I don't see it happening anyting soon.