Thinking of getting an AR or AK [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting an AR or AK

MtnBiker
02-09-2012, 21:23
I'm thinking of getting an AR or AK type rifle. I'm not a fan of 5.56. I'm considering either 7.62 NATO or 7.62 x 39. I don't have a lot of rifles. I want something I'll enjoy shooting at the range, but I can also rely on if the SHTF. Given a 100 M shot or less, I'd like to be able to venison on the table too. My price point is $1200 (do I need to add "or less"?).

I had an SKS a few years ago. I suppose they vary a lot. That one was fun to shoot, but my 10 mm pistol was more accurate. I sold the SKS.

Many of you guys have a wealth of experience in the rifle space. Do you have rifle suggestions? Does anyone have experience with both calibers and maybe some view of advantages of one over the other? How about guns to avoid?

Magelk
02-09-2012, 21:27
I'm thinking ar in 6.8. Although ammo can be a bit more expensive but it's becoming popular with hog hunters.

rhino673
02-09-2012, 21:46
:popcorn:

Bimmer1
02-09-2012, 21:48
Aren't there a few 7.62 AR's out there? Just get a Saiga in 7.62 and shoot the heck out of it.

javelinadave
02-09-2012, 21:49
An AR compared to an AK is apples to oranges. One is a precision rifle and the other is a projectile launching tool. Each serves its own purpose and I own a few of each but I couldn't tell you to get one over the other.
I suggest your find a buddy that has both and take them for a spin.
As for 7.62x51 and 7.62x39 question. The 7.62x51 is a much more accurate round out of an AR compared to the 7.62x39 round out of an AK. If you are shooting 100 yards it won't much matter. If you are reaching out to touch someone the AR is the way to go.
As for an ammo price stand point the AK ammo is about 1/2 the price of the 7.62x51 for factory loads.

mixflip
02-09-2012, 21:55
I had an SKS a few years ago. I suppose they vary a lot. That one was fun to shoot, but my 10 mm pistol was more accurate. I sold the SKS.

So your 10mm handgun was more accurate than a shoulder fired rifle? At what distance??? Just curious.

MtnBiker
02-09-2012, 22:04
25 yards. That SKS was a POS. Maybe the barrel had issues or it didn't like the ammo. It was reliable, just very inaccurate.

S9Man
02-11-2012, 18:05
Find a FAL. They can be found used for ~600. A VZ58 would be good too. They shoot the 7.62 X 39 and shoot better than most AK's.

Javelin
02-11-2012, 18:21
I would recommend a 300BLK AR if you are wanting to hunt medium game.

Disregarded9-side
02-11-2012, 18:33
If I were you I'd go with an AR-15 in 300 Blackout.

But you've got a lot of reading between you and an informed purchase.

catalyst686
02-11-2012, 21:41
I would recommend a 300BLK AR if you are wanting to hunt medium game.

This seems to be the new craze, I've heard a lot of good things, also, standard 5.56 mags work with the round.

Disregarded9-side
02-11-2012, 21:49
^The ability to use EVERY standard spec AR part aside from the barrel has a lot of appeal. It's a great round for the reloader, too.

Javelin
02-11-2012, 22:39
This seems to be the new craze, I've heard a lot of good things, also, standard 5.56 mags work with the round.

I'm not sure if it is a craze but a much anticipated upgrade from the 5.56 in a standardized AR platform. And one that works in an 8" barrel and easily suppressible. It is the answer to a long list of requests us AR owners have had. 6.8 almost did it... but the mags sucked and no one really got behind the ammunition suppliers.

300 Blackout is finally here and I for one am really glad. For those folks that bought into the 6.8 they still have a good capable platform. But for those that waited or have not purchased yet it is perfect news and came at the right time.

:wavey:

WoodenPlank
02-11-2012, 22:41
I'm curious what the OP has against 5.56...

RMTactical
02-11-2012, 23:49
I have owned several of both. I prefer the AR15 but I think you have to own them for yourself to make your own conclusions.

Patriot III
02-12-2012, 07:38
I have owned an Interarms Tantal (excellent), a Saiga I converted (interesting job), and an Arsenal SG61 (?). Now, I don't own any of them, but I do own ARs. My Colt 6920 is my favorite and I prefer it over any of the com-block rifle. It was a process I "had" to experience before I knew what I really wanted. Maybe you'll have to own both before you make a final choice. Good luck.

craig19
02-12-2012, 08:05
I have both, love both. I prefer AR platform, if SHTF, I would have no problems grabbing my AK.

K. Foster
02-12-2012, 10:56
I want something I'll enjoy shooting at the range, but I can also rely on if the SHTF. Given a 100 M shot or less, I'd like to be able to venison on the table too. My price point is $1200 (do I need to add "or less"?).

This might put you a little over your budget but Id consider getting 2 rifles. A cheap bolt or lever action for deer hunting and a 5.56 AR for everything else.

MD357
02-12-2012, 11:01
I wouldn't recommend 300 blackout for a SHTF rifle...... HINT: Ammo won't be abundant.

To the OP, you've got some reading ahead of you. For the criteria you've given I'd go with an AR considering the availability and variety of ammo, mags, and accessories. Kinda makes it easy for someone starting out IMO.

DieselNut
02-12-2012, 11:51
I'd recommend the following in no specific order: A Good M4 style ar-15 in 5.56 (makes finding anything easier) A VEPR in .308 (built heavier than a saiga), or a quality AK. You need to evaluate your needs then go from there. Good luck with your search, and post pics of your new toy when you get it.

Glockdude1
02-12-2012, 12:51
http://oi52.tinypic.com/2r5zzlu.jpg

I could never decide on just one.

:supergrin:

surf
02-12-2012, 13:03
Yep, I own commie guns too. Never know when you might need to dig a ditch or something. It is also comforting to know that it will still go bang afterwards. :supergrin:

Glockdude1
02-12-2012, 13:10
Yep, I own commie guns too. Never know when you might need to dig a ditch or something. It is also comforting to know that it will still go bang afterwards. :supergrin:

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/5082/145865.jpg

:supergrin:

MtnBiker
02-12-2012, 19:02
I'm curious what the OP has against 5.56...

I guess you can call me a caliber bigot. 5.56 is a good round, just not what I'm looking for.

I prefer something in .30 caliber or similar. I want something that can fill a lot of niches. A lot of states won't allow deer or big game hunting with 5.56.

On the knock down front, I've seen it mentioned in several places that many of the people who have deployed are not impressed with it's performance against motivated, human targets.

It's personal preference. Lots of people love that round. I'm just not one of them.

WoodenPlank
02-12-2012, 19:05
I guess you can call me a caliber bigot. 5.56 is a good round, just not what I'm looking for.

I prefer something in .30 caliber or similar. I want something that can fill a lot of niches. A lot of states won't allow deer or big game hunting with 5.56.

On the knock down front, I've seen it mentioned in several places that many of the people who have deployed are not impressed with it's performance against motivated, human targets.

It's personal preference. Lots of people love that round. I'm just not one of them.

Fair enough. The only thing there I can disagree with is problems against motivated, 2-legged threats. That's a failure of specific types of ammo, not the caliber itself.

gh0st614
02-13-2012, 11:14
I wouldn't recommend 300 blackout for a SHTF rifle...... HINT: Ammo won't be abundant.

To the OP, you've got some reading ahead of you. For the criteria you've given I'd go with an AR considering the availability and variety of ammo, mags, and accessories. Kinda makes it easy for someone starting out IMO.

Ammo shouldnt be a major problem...you use a 5.56 case and a .308 bullet. You could put ammo together if you had to. Worst case scenario is you buy a spare 5.56 barrel or upper and have 2 calibers and 2 rifles.

To be honest if SHTF you would end up with more guns along the way anyways, ammo would be scarce in all calibers unless you take it from somebody..you cant find a 5.56 bush in the woods to pluck ammo off of...

This is the biggest problem with stockpiling ammo is that you cant take it with you if you need to bug out.

M&P15T
02-13-2012, 15:46
The only logical answer is a 5.56 AR, it's just that it's not the answer the OP wants. If you strictly want to hunt, none of the firearms already discussed are the right choice, and during SHTF, you're not going to be worried about running into DNR type folks.

MtnBiker
02-13-2012, 20:48
Ammo shouldnt be a major problem...you use a 5.56 case and a .308 bullet. You could put ammo together if you had to. Worst case scenario is you buy a spare 5.56 barrel or upper and have 2 calibers and 2 rifles.

To be honest if SHTF you would end up with more guns along the way anyways, ammo would be scarce in all calibers unless you take it from somebody..you cant find a 5.56 bush in the woods to pluck ammo off of...

This is the biggest problem with stockpiling ammo is that you cant take it with you if you need to bug out.

I have to say, I'm intrigued by the .300 BLK option. I wasn't aware of this caliber. It seems like the best of both worlds (aside from the price vs. an AK).

I get the superior accuracy of an AR (according to the few reports on .300 BLK accuracy I've read). The ballistics of an AK (roughly equivalent). The brass may be a little scarce for a while longer, but .30 cal bullets are easy to find.

Cough up some cash (later) for a 5.56 upper and I have a rifle that meets all my needs. plus I can shoot 5.56 at the range. So at this point, I need to keep my eyes open for what's on the market as far as a .300 BLK rifle. I've seen the list of mfg'ers. I think if I wait a few months (at least until after tax season); I should be able to see offerings from several companies. By the the ammo should be more plentiful and cheaper too.

Javelin
02-13-2012, 20:55
I have to say, I'm intrigued by the .300 BLK option. I wasn't aware of this caliber. It seems like the best of both worlds (aside from the price vs. an AK).

I get the superior accuracy of an AR (according to the few reports on .300 BLK accuracy I've read). The ballistics of an AK (roughly equivalent). The brass may be a little scarce for a while longer, but .30 cal bullets are easy to find.

Cough up some cash (later) for a 5.56 upper and I have a rifle that meets all my needs. plus I can shoot 5.56 at the range. So at this point, I need to keep my eyes open for what's on the market as far as a .300 BLK rifle. I've seen the list of mfg'ers. I think if I wait a few months (at least until after tax season); I should be able to see offerings from several companies. By the the ammo should be more plentiful and cheaper too.

This is a great analysis. I think though if you compare brass 7.62x39mm ammo to the 300BLK ammo (UMC is $11.99/box @ Midway) coupled with the fact there is more energy @ 300yards from the 300BLK than the 7.62x39 it is a clear winner in the light-weight 30 caliber rifle division.

Then the only question is left... which supplier are you going to go with? :faint:

MD357
02-13-2012, 23:22

If you believe you would be better piecing ammo together. More power to ya, G'luck with that. :supergrin:

IF the SHTF, there will be plenty of 5.56/.223 laying around due to military, civilian and LE use. Relative to other calibers anyways.

On the flip side, having two uppers is always a good idea IMO.