Where is a good place to get military-grade 5 gallon gas cans right now? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where is a good place to get military-grade 5 gallon gas cans right now?

cowboy1964
02-09-2012, 23:46
I believe we are going to have a severe gas crisis within the next year so it's time to get some quality cans.

CTD has a pack of 4 for like $120 but the reviews are terrible (cheap welds, rust, etc).

EBay?

Carry16
02-10-2012, 00:42
I have 8 of these and have been very happy with them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270803366465?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Get a jiggle siphon to transfer your fuel and forget about spouts.

I think with free shipping these are a good buy.

DoctaGlockta
02-10-2012, 04:21
I have 8 of these and have been very happy with them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270803366465?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Get a jiggle siphon to transfer your fuel and forget about spouts.

I think with free shipping these are a good buy.

I can vouch for this Rx. I looked around for sometime as well. They are brand new and in pristine condition. I bought six of them. These won't take the nato spouts however.

Kieller
02-10-2012, 11:59
I recently purchased a few of these after an extensive search:

http://www.go4hero.com/canadian-military-issue-jerry-used-p-2560.html?osCsid=r1jcpkltbsfvq9cvoqeddn4u56

They needed a little cleaning but were in good overall shape. I didn't have to replace any gaskets but I will probably order some spares just in case.

M1A Shooter
02-10-2012, 12:19
check out any mil surplus places. a local surplus store has a few and is asking $20 each.

i got lucky and got 6 of them at an estate sale for $9 total.

BORNGEARHEAD
02-10-2012, 22:01
Our local Fleet Farm has red jerry cans made by Briggs&Stratton. I've had them for a couple yrs now and have no problems with them. I wanna say I paid $30/ea for them.

These are them.
Amazon.com: Briggs & Stratton 5 Gallon Metal Gas Can Auto Shut-Off; with Spout (CARB Compliant) WCA520P: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414vylZbHZL.@@AMEPARAM@@414vylZbHZL

Tiger
02-10-2012, 23:40
Brand new NATO cans
http://www.deutscheoptik.com/product_info.php?products_id=1718

secamp32
02-13-2012, 13:29
UPDATE
I ordered some 5 gal cans from Atlantic British Thursday night http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC20.cfm
and they are on the Big Brown truck for delivery today. Can't beat that. Shipping was less than $20 for 4 cans and a spout. I did have to pay tax since we are both in the PRNY. On another site someone said that they are the same cans as the DO ones.

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s509/secamp32/gas%20cans/IMAG0154.jpg
They are on sale on for $35.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC20.cfm

Jake514
02-14-2012, 17:47
Diesel cans vs. gas cans- other than the color is there any difference in the cans or gaskets?

M1A Shooter
02-14-2012, 23:13
not that im aware of. iirc, when i was looking for replacement gaskets, it was just a gasket, nothing specified for different fuels.

Jake514
02-15-2012, 06:34
Good thread and timely as I need to purchase some good quality additional cans & nozzles.

Page 2 of the Feb CheaperThanDirt catalog has four (4) NATO style steel fuel cans at $119.97. Has anyone bought these or can tell if they are good or not? How do they compare with others mentioned earlier in this thread?

In the catalog directly above there also is an individual fuel can displayed that looks the same as the ones listed above, but is listed at $49.97. The description for this can indicates it has an enamel coating on the inside, but I would think enamel coating should not make a difference for fuel.

mac66
02-15-2012, 08:37
sportsmansguide.com has them in their HQ catalog right now for $27 (members) look around for discount codes

number is B2M-213243

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/us-military-style-10l-2-1-2-gal-jerry-can-olive-drab.aspx?a=904142

They have $5 flat rate shipping for orders over $99.

cowboy1964
02-15-2012, 12:11
Page 2 of the Feb CheaperThanDirt catalog has four (4) NATO style steel fuel cans at $119.97. Has anyone bought these or can tell if they are good or not? How do they compare with others mentioned earlier in this thread?

That's what prompted me to create this thread. That CheaperThanDirt special has terrible reviews.

farmer-dave
02-15-2012, 12:36
If you seriously want to store alot of gas cheaply you got to forget 5 gallon can's. So much more affordable to buy or get a free steel 55 or 35 gallon drum. You can also go to any farm store and buy a 100 gallon transfer tank for 220 bucks. Set the transfer tank or barrels on a pallet in your shed or garage and your set. You can buy a pump or simply use a simple siphon to move fuel into your gas can or vehicle.

cowboy1964
02-15-2012, 12:59
I'd love to be able to store 100 gallons but for various reasons I cannot do so. I don't burn a lot of fuel anyway so I'm just looking to have a little reserve in case rationing or shortages occur.

KS Trekker
02-15-2012, 18:10
Diesel cans vs. gas cans- other than the color is there any difference in the cans or gaskets?

I've got several of the Scepter Military Fuel Cans and you need Viton gaskets for gasoline. The diesel gaskets will not work for gasoline.

Jake514
02-16-2012, 20:40
I've got several of the Scepter Military Fuel Cans and you need Viton gaskets for gasoline. The diesel gaskets will not work for gasoline.

Thanks KS Trekker, good to know.

Chindo18Z
02-17-2012, 14:00
So...does anyone have an actual current source for the proper Viton gaskets to fit Sceptor MFCs?

Not e-bay, not the guy over on AR15.com who used to sell 'em...

But an actual gasket supply company (who can be ordered from on-line)...with an item/sku number for 5-gal Scepter fuel can Viton gaskets?

fumunder
02-17-2012, 14:32
One option is to get 1-55 gallon drum to fill at your house and fewer cans. You can get a used 55 gal from most places that sell heating fuel and other fuels for about $15.

Jake514
02-17-2012, 17:47
So...does anyone have an actual current source for the proper Viton gaskets to fit Sceptor MFCs?

But an actual gasket supply company (who can be ordered from on-line)...with an item/sku number for 5-gal Scepter fuel can Viton gaskets?

I do not know a supplier or cost, but if you can find the sheet Viton you can always cut your own gaskets.

Chindo18Z
02-17-2012, 19:46
I do not know a supplier or cost, but if you can find the sheet Viton you can always cut your own gaskets.

Funny you should mention that...today I canvassed several gasket suppliers on-line.

About $158 for a 36" x 36" sheet! :wow:

About $10 a gasket off of e-bay.

mac66
02-18-2012, 14:27
One option is to get 1-55 gallon drum to fill at your house and fewer cans. You can get a used 55 gal from most places that sell heating fuel and other fuels for about $15.

I have 4 55 gallon plastic drums behind my shed. One still has gas in it from 1999. Somehow it got pushed back in the corner, covered up and never used. They other were rotated in an out and refilled off and on up until a few years ago. BTW, I filled those in 1999 for Y2K at $.99/gallon.

leadcounsel
02-20-2012, 02:38
How does one fill a 55 gallon drum of gas if you store it at home?

I'm thinking that plastic is preferred over metal for the 5 gallon cans. Thoughts?

Carry16
02-20-2012, 08:44
I don't fill 55 gallon drums with gasoline, but I have a 30 gallon can I store diesel in. I use a jiggle siphon to transfer the fuel.

I will never own another plastic 5 gallon fuel container, unless they drop this CARB crap. I use military jerry cans exclusively (except for a 1 gallon plastic for my 2 cycle stuff). No matter what material, keeping the cans very close to full seems to minimize swelling/contraction problems.

kirgi08
02-20-2012, 10:29
Climate control is the key ta fuel storage.'08.

sebecman
02-20-2012, 11:46
BTW, I filled those in 1999 for Y2K at $.99/gallon.

99 cents a gallon.....goodbye old friend:crying::crying:

M1A Shooter
02-20-2012, 12:49
just picked up a steel fuel drum at Rural King locally for $12 and will be filling it up with my 5G cans. not looking good with Iran cutting off oil to England and France. I'm sure we are not far behind.

mac66
02-20-2012, 13:17
How does one fill a 55 gallon drum of gas if you store it at home?

I'm thinking that plastic is preferred over metal for the 5 gallon cans. Thoughts?

Back in 1999, I took each drum to the gas station and filled it until it shut off at $50. Back at home I wrestled it out of the van an moved to behind the shed by rolling it. I then topped each barrel off using 5 gallon cans. The way I did it, I would take 5 gallons out of one barrel, then replace it with fresh gas. That way I would rotate through the barrels. I would use the gas for lawnmowers etc. About once a week or so I dump 5 gallons into my van an replace it back into the barrels. Eventually It just got to be a pain in the butt to keep up with it and then with the price of gas it was too much. Other than one barrel of old, old gas I just keep 5 or 6 5 gallon cans full.

I've been finding lots of used plastic gas cans on craigslist for a couple of bucks each.

leadcounsel
02-20-2012, 13:40
Yes, rotating through the gas in drums would just be such an inefficient pain in the butt. While I agree that having the gas on hand in a true SHTF scenario, the cost in terms of months or years of rotating through the gas would just be time better spent on something else it seems.

I'd say keeping 5 or so 5 gallon cans on hand, along with a full vehicle tank, would be responsible and sufficient for most folks.

leadcounsel
02-20-2012, 17:39
Just stocked up on $450 worth of pantry goods and groceries at Safeway. Using my club card, I got $1 off of my gas bill. Saved $30 on 30 gallons of gas filling up the vehicle and several gas cans at $2.55 a gallon! :)

Grayson
02-23-2012, 20:02
Regarding the gaskets on the Scepter MFCs...is there any way to tell between the diesel and gasoline ones? I have two cans I got back before the CARB imbeciles banned them, OD green with a red strap on the lid with a P on it, I know those are for gas.

Another one is "milsurp," all tan, no P on the strap. Gaskets look pretty well identical, and there's a number on the lids - the milsurp one matches one of my other ones.

RWBlue
02-23-2012, 23:24
just picked up a steel fuel drum at Rural King locally for $12 and will be filling it up with my 5G cans. not looking good with Iran cutting off oil to England and France. I'm sure we are not far behind.

We don't get oil from Iran.

M1A Shooter
02-24-2012, 01:59
We don't get oil from Iran.

i didnt think we did but it just shows the volitility of the area and if we dont start producing more of our own, im thinking that it could easily get tight for us as well. England and France will be looking to get theirs from the same places we get our now, more than likely, and it will just make things a bit tighter for us as well. hopefully im wrong.

kirgi08
02-24-2012, 08:53
Your probably not,it's gonna get worse before it gets better.'08.

Warp
02-24-2012, 10:53

http://www.go4hero.com/canadian-military-issue-jerry-used-p-2560.html?osCsid=r1jcpkltbsfvq9cvoqeddn4u56

They needed a little cleaning but were in good overall shape. I didn't have to replace any gaskets but I will probably order some spares just in case.

Those look exactly like the Scepter MFCs you could buy easily here in the states prior to the CARB crap.

Are they?

I ask because I already have 4 of the Scepter cans (which I like) as well as one of the hoses so picking up 1-2 more of the same makes sense.

RWBlue
02-24-2012, 12:16
i didnt think we did but it just shows the volitility of the area and if we dont start producing more of our own, im thinking that it could easily get tight for us as well. England and France will be looking to get theirs from the same places we get our now, more than likely, and it will just make things a bit tighter for us as well. hopefully im wrong.

I am thinking just the opposite.

I want to use up the rest of the world's oil, and then have ours for when the rest of the world has run dry.

But this also means I am for deep water drilling all the way out to the end of the continental shelf (in the internal zone), which would also mean we would produce more more oil here.

I also think if we cut off Iran's money, it will either make war happen sooner (which is good), or will make the internal politics change in Iran (which is also good for us). So let Iran stop selling oil to the world, but we need to make sure it is to the entire world.

macsimizer26
02-24-2012, 12:35
I dont think going to war with Iran over oil would be good, for anybody, i think we've fought a war too many over oil as it is. IMO. I remember some one saying that the Harbor freight jerry cans arent too bad for use, and they arent that expensive i believe. I wouldnt store gas for long amounts of time in 55gal drums bc it will eventually rust away the bottoms and give you a lil junk in ur ga, poly would be better, at least thats the way i would go, and only use a 35gal instead of 55, keep it rotated like one of the other guys above mentioned, but that would still be a PITA

Warp
04-01-2012, 22:31
Bumping this.

I've been looking to get some more fuel cans recently. The Scepter MFCs are available second hand through eBay and people are paying out the butt for them! It's crazy. $140 or so new and $80++ used. Holy hell!

Are they really that good? I have four of them, purchased around 2008 before the new CARB restrictions kicked in nationwide, and I like them...but I can't imagine paying that much for one.

What's up with that?

Kieller
04-02-2012, 10:40
Those look exactly like the Scepter MFCs you could buy easily here in the states prior to the CARB crap.

Are they?

I ask because I already have 4 of the Scepter cans (which I like) as well as one of the hoses so picking up 1-2 more of the same makes sense.

Yes I believe they are. I didn't have any pre-CARB scepters but these seem to be the same. They are used, but not abused. I am happy with them.

ETA: sorry for late response :supergrin:

Kieller
04-02-2012, 10:41
Bumping this.

I've been looking to get some more fuel cans recently. The Scepter MFCs are available second hand through eBay and people are paying out the butt for them! It's crazy. $140 or so new and $80++ used. Holy hell!

Are they really that good? I have four of them, purchased around 2008 before the new CARB restrictions kicked in nationwide, and I like them...but I can't imagine paying that much for one.

What's up with that?

Yep, when I was shopping around a couple months ago the scepters were insanely expensive. The best place I found was in my previous post.

Warp
04-02-2012, 10:47
I am tempted by those used Scepter MFCs from the Canadian source. I could get a couple delivered for about $86. More would help with shipping per unit, of course. It even appears as if one could recoup some of the money from an order by flipping them on eBay.

So far I have not ordered any even though I already have 4 + a spout. I don't like how expensive all of the parts and accessories are. Want a new viton gasket for keeping gasoline in them? $11 + shipping, each, is the best I could find. Want a spout? Most places that actually have one want over $50, for a damn spout! I wanted one of those 'wrenches' to use on the caps as they can become extremely difficult to remove after many large temperature swings...best I could find was about $45. WTH?

I decided I would rather get into actual Jerry Cans since the accessories, gaskets, etc, are so much more readily available and inexpensive.

UPDATE
I ordered some 5 gal cans from Atlantic British Thursday night http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC20.cfm
and they are on the Big Brown truck for delivery today. Can't beat that. Shipping was less than $20 for 4 cans and a spout. I did have to pay tax since we are both in the PRNY. On another site someone said that they are the same cans as the DO ones.

So I ordered a couple of these ^^^ + a spout recently. I will update, with images, when they arrive.

Warp
04-02-2012, 23:46

I also decided to roll the dice here and ordered a few.

I'll update on these as well when I receive them.

Warp
04-04-2012, 19:48
UPDATE

Mine arrived this afternoon. Prompt shipping and exactly as advertised (spout not here yet). Brand new, shiny and seemingly perfect.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/5f43d593.jpg

Lampshade
04-04-2012, 23:20
So what's the deal with the statement about federal law?

Am I likely to be given a hard time at a gas station if observed filling up a green jerry can?

Warp
04-05-2012, 01:18
So what's the deal with the statement about federal law?

Am I likely to be given a hard time at a gas station if observed filling up a green jerry can?

Yeah...that cracks me up. Freaking black market gas cans.

I think you have a better chance of winning the lottery than having somebody give you a hard time about using jerry cans.

My understanding is that it is a combination of CARB and some child-safety spill protection law, or something. Whatever, don't care, it's stupid.

KeithS
04-05-2012, 17:59
Yeah...that cracks me up. Freaking black market gas cans.

I think you have a better chance of winning the lottery than having somebody give you a hard time about using jerry cans.

My understanding is that it is a combination of CARB and some child-safety spill protection law, or something. Whatever, don't care, it's stupid.

It is my understanding that the CARB was first instituted in CA as an environmental issue. Prevents spills. I don't believe anyone can legally make old style spouts for these new containers-the threading is different. I have 4 five gallon containers I use for diesel when I don't want the hassle of trying to find a station I can get my truck/TT into.

Using the CARB spout, it took me about 8 minutes to empty one container into my truck. Now, I take off the whole assembly and pour using a funnel into the truck. Takes about 3 minutes. I'm certain I drip and spill more this way than using the old style spouts, but, I'm done with the CARB spouts.

Carry16
04-05-2012, 18:15
Try one of these: Jiggle Syphon - YouTube

Using the CARB spout, it took me about 8 minutes to empty one container into my truck.

Warp
04-05-2012, 18:15
BTW: I kid you not, when I filled up my two new jerry cans at the gas station today the two (totally different and separate) people refueling nearest to me looked at me with a "WTF is he doing??" expression.

I'm done with the CARB spouts.

As am I

cowboy1964
04-05-2012, 18:51
I can't even use the spout on my 5-gallon CARB can to fill my van because it's too short. $%^$^@#

Warp
04-06-2012, 21:49

Mine arrived. I paid something like $26 shipping for all five.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/90f826d5.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/6301477e.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/c31a742a.jpg

-----
While the metal NATO style jerry cans were more expensive, with more expensive shipping, I would buy more of them instead knowing the result.

KS Trekker
04-08-2012, 00:05

Check out DS Tactical (https://dstactical.com/index.php?cPath=16_55)

They are in Canada but they ship everything but the actual MFC to the US.

Chindo18Z
04-08-2012, 00:16
KS Trekker: Outstanding link. Thank you for the info!