Forged (altered) Carry Permit [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Forged (altered) Carry Permit

TBO
02-10-2012, 03:08
Boonville man accused of forging pistol permit for gun illegally brought to NYS

http://www.wktv.com/news/local/Boonville-man-accused-of-forging-pistol-permit-for-gun-illegally-brought-to-NYS-139043499.html

Patchman
02-10-2012, 05:13
Oh. Well.

Scott3670
02-10-2012, 09:12
What a tool.

HerrGlock
02-10-2012, 09:19
I'm not even trying to feel for the guy. Don't like the laws? You have three options legally:

Follow them anyway
Get them changed
Move

ithaca_deerslayer
02-10-2012, 10:36
I know every county in NYS is slightly different, but basically if you want to add a gun to your permit just fill out the ammendment form and pay $3, subject to approval (getting that approval is where some counties differ).

Wonder if the guy could have brought that gun in through an FFL, then added it. Or perhaps there was something even more fishy about the gun?

Also wonder how they found out. Having an unregistered handgun in NYS seems a big risk to take, and for what purpose? Bye bye to his permit now.

Bren
02-10-2012, 10:46
I know every county in NYS is slightly different, but basically if you want to add a gun to your permit just fill out the ammendment form and pay $3, subject to approval (getting that approval is where some counties differ).

Wonder if the guy could have brought that gun in through an FFL, then added it. Or perhaps there was something even more fishy about the gun?

Also wonder how they found out. Having an unregistered handgun in NYS seems a big risk to take, and for what purpose? Bye bye to his permit now.

My only guess would be that maybe you have to show where you bought the gun and NY might be one of the few states where you can't say "from some guy."

I guess if New York has actual gun registration and permits for everything, they'd know the gun was new to the state. Still seems like a ridiculous thing to do for an item that cost a few hundred dollars.

There's no doubt why NY ranked as the least free state in America.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-10-2012, 12:06
My only guess would be that maybe you have to show where you bought the gun and NY might be one of the few states where you can't say "from some guy."

I guess if New York has actual gun registration and permits for everything, they'd know the gun was new to the state. Still seems like a ridiculous thing to do for an item that cost a few hundred dollars.

There's no doubt why NY ranked as the least free state in America.

I think if the handgun comes from out of state, it just has to go through an FFL. So, I think listing the FFL would be enough. Not positive on that, but the way it has worked for me is I've gone to an FFL and said I wanted to buy XYZ, and then he found one on gunbroker, and I said yes, and then he bought it and sold it to me when it arrived. Not quite the same as me buying and then transfering through him, but I think it works the same either way you do it.

As to private sales of handguns, they are indeed allowed, but have to be from permit holder to permit holder. So, when I buy used from some guy in NYS, I have to list him as the person I bought it from, on my ammendment. Then he does his own ammendment on his own to take the gun off his permit.

There are more free states, for sure, but there are plenty of people in NYS with pistol permits and many handguns. The more upstate you are, generally the more free you are (but it varies by county). It is particularly the NYC laws that are insanely restrictive, in my opinion.

ScottieG59
02-12-2012, 02:03
Altering government issued permits is just not smart. I do not like that the law there limits one's ability to purchase out of state, but why play around like that? I have no problem going through FFL dealers and paying their small fees.

I did a quick look at the laws in New York State and it is quite a mess. There are many ways one could find themselves in violation of something. Many years ago, I decided to simply avoid New York and New Jersey as much as possible. As a soldier, when I returned to the US from Germany, I had a federal importers permit. Since New York did not recognize the permit, I went through Philadelphia.

New York seems to have begun to realize how out of step with the country they are on the issue of firearms. In some recent cases, several people who innocently entered New York with out of state permits were not sentenced to prison terms.

Of course, I doubt the government will ever look kindly on those who illegally alter government issued permits.

Bren
02-12-2012, 07:09
Here's the thing. If a guy really wants to own a gun bad enough to risk prison and losing the right to own guns forever in America - why doesn't he want to own one enough to move to the next state over?

That tempers my sympathy somewhat.

ssharber
02-12-2012, 07:22
What an idiotic move on this guys part. Getting a permit in NY is difficult enough, but to then go and alter it is a sure guarantee he'll never get one again. I don't understand why some people do things like this.