Greyhound bus [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Greyhound bus

bcowen22001
02-10-2012, 09:20
Anyone ride on a greyhound bus? Obviously, and unfortunately Im not going concealed carry on a greyhound. But I would at least like to be able to carry a pocket knife, spyderco folder of some sort. I have not seen anything on their website about no knives. Greyhound is not as strict as flying security wise???

puckhead
02-10-2012, 09:24
I take it they restrict CC?

werkz
02-10-2012, 09:58
I've done it when delivering a car I had sold.

I can say that I didn't get frisked.

Patchman
02-10-2012, 10:22
My oldest takes Greyhound when returning to college. I stay with her until she gets on the bus. All I've ever seen is them checking for a ticket.

Whatever you do, do NOT use mace or pepperspray in an enclosed bus. Especially one that may be moving at 60-plus mph on the highway. Driver coughing, weezing and tearing up is not good. :)

Pierre!
02-10-2012, 10:32
I haven't seen anything in the bus stations posted about firearms.

Homeland Defense *GAPING HOLE* is what I call it...

Here in the Southwest be sure you have your Spanish skill AND passport with you... Border Patrol has been known to request such documentation - and that was in El Paso TX according to my wife's cousin.

My In-Laws have twice come down from Reno NV on buses where the driver did NOT speak English for announcements... on a Mexican chartered bus that was apparently contracted by Greyhound.

This is mostly second hand info, and therefor suspect... but that's just crazy if you ask me!

So Yah, if they don't mention it, I would be packin!

Patrick

Mr. Blandings
02-10-2012, 14:39
From the Greyhound website (http://www.greyhound.com/en/ticketsandtravel/travelingbybus.aspx) (under the Traveling By Bus tab):For everyone's safety and comfort, Greyhound asks that customers please follow certain restrictions while on board. Federal law does not permit smoking on Greyhound buses. We have a zero tolerance for alcohol, drugs, weapons and unruly behavior.Some terminals will from time to time use hand held metal detectors for passenger screening.

Also, be VERY aware that the Transportation Security Administration is significantly expanding the Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response (VIPR) program. These are teams of federal and local LEOs with TSA staff that will conduct a pop-up screening checkpoint virtually anywhere. Bus and train stations are favorite locations.

I'd consider going even lower profile than a Spyderco/pocket knife by looking at Surefire/Streamlight/"tactical" flashlight, a thick pen and a heavy hardback book or binder. Also, wear sturdy footwear, don't stick iPod earbuds in both ears and maintain some awareness throughout the trip.

Mr. Blandings
02-10-2012, 14:45
I haven't seen anything in the bus stations posted about firearms.Federal law requires you to hand over any firearms to the conductor/operator/driver of a common carrier when traveling, and Greyhound simply won't accept/won't transport firearms by company regulations.Here in the Southwest be sure you have your Spanish skill AND passport with you... Border Patrol has been known to request such documentation - and that was in El Paso TX according to my wife's cousin.My daughter, traveling by bus in Central Florida was approached and ID'ed by Border Patrol. BP Agents swept through the bus terminal initially questioning the most likely candidates (and taking one man into custody per daughter), but subsequently questioned all the other passengers (probably to maintain the required fair-play "we don't profile" statistics).So Yah, if they don't mention it, I would be packin!Again, this is PROHIBITED by federal law and Greyhound rules - not recommended.

bcowen22001
02-11-2012, 01:08
Great info. Thanks for the help. Ill probably just go regular small pocket knife. And regular steel toes as usual.

kgjl
02-11-2012, 01:38
I would sell my gun and buy a plane ticket.

mr00jimbo
02-11-2012, 01:46
Yikes. I thought there would be better laws re: packing on a bus. In Canada, some guy got his head cut off (no exaggeration!) by a deranged passenger while everybody else ran off the bus.

Are there any bus companies that allow carry?

ScottieG59
02-16-2012, 00:17
I would be concerned about where the bus goes and where it may stop and break down. The laws and enforcement in each jurisdiction can matter. Whenever I travel (by plane, not bus), I consider each connection point and the possibility that the connecting flight may be missed or unable to depart on time. In some places, I will willingly receive my baggage and firearm. In others, I will refuse acceptance of my check-on baggage. I have reciprocity in some states and not others and some states have a complex legal environment that varies locally within the state.

Pierre!
02-16-2012, 07:57
Federal law requires you to hand over any firearms to the conductor/operator/driver of a common carrier when traveling, and Greyhound simply won't accept/won't transport firearms by company regulations.My daughter, traveling by bus in Central Florida was approached and ID'ed by Border Patrol. BP Agents swept through the bus terminal initially questioning the most likely candidates (and taking one man into custody per daughter), but subsequently questioned all the other passengers (probably to maintain the required fair-play "we don't profile" statistics).Again, this is PROHIBITED by federal law and Greyhound rules - not recommended.

WoW :wow:

Why, Oh WHY would they NOT have Signage that details this!!!

Will it take a Bus into a building with massive casualties to change this?

I really don't understand our methods to 'secure' our transportation - the gaping holes are GAPING... and it's ours to guess the regulations?

Okay - time to purchase a *nice* pen and Kevlar binder...

Thanks for the Heads Up - I would have been completely blindsided if I had followed through...

Thanks for sharing, and I will get some more reading done...

Patrick

Mr. Blandings
02-16-2012, 15:54
Why, Oh WHY would they NOT have Signage that details this!!!It's posted right there on their website.Will it take a Bus into a building with massive casualties to change this?Prior to 9/11, "pocketknives" were approved for commercial air travel per FAA. Hundreds of internet threads discussed which knives would be allowed to pass through airport security and which would not. Post 9/11... well, we all know what that looks like currently, and it's all "security theater". A determined, well planned attack would circumvent TSA security with little difficulty.I really don't understand our methods to 'secure' our transportation - the gaping holes are GAPING... and it's ours to guess the regulations?No, "it's ours" to research and understand the regulations. All the laws and rules are easy to find using the internet direct from the source (gov't and individual carriers). There are sites that make it easier like handgunlaw.us or the NRA ILA's Guide to Gun Laws (http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws.aspx). There's even an entire publishing company, Alan Korwin's Bloomfield Press (http://www.gunlaws.com/) that pretty much does nothing but publish books about gun and weapon laws (they even have The Worldwide Gun Owner's Guide (http://www.gunlaws.com/WGOG.htm) now!).

Understand that just as you have (hopefully) obtained training/education in the use of your self-protection tools you are just as obligated to learn the rules of where/how/when you can carry those tools.Thanks for the Heads Up - I would have been completely blindsided if I had followed through...

Thanks for sharing, and I will get some more reading done...... and that's what will separate YOU from those poor folks who keep walking up to security counters in New York City and asking where they can store their CCW firearms.

Stay safe!