Help with changing Vietnam-era M16 grip [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help with changing Vietnam-era M16 grip

Chowser
02-10-2012, 12:24
Ok, I tried to change the old old grip on a rifle with the new Magpul MOE grip and it does not fit.

It will not slide on.
Is it safe for me to shave off a bit of the grip so that it would fit on the lower?

I'll post pics later tonight when I get back to work.

mvician
02-10-2012, 12:25
They are tight. It will fit, push hard.

faawrenchbndr
02-10-2012, 12:36
Like Mike stated, they do fit tighly, you can use a file and very slightly bevel
the inside corners of the grip. You do not need to remove much material, just
enough to break over the sharp edge. Be sure to keep that A1 grip,......highly collectable!

Chowser
02-10-2012, 13:05
Ok. I will give it a shot. I didn't want to try and force anything. We converted all these over from 20" to 16" barrels so they will fit in our Chargers. All the original parts (including the full-auto stuff) is locked away in our armory.

I wanted to do midlength but got voted down and we did carbines. Now that I'm in charge, all new rifles will be setup by me. I am slowly replacing parts as budget allows. I am currently swapping out all the old a2 stocks for collapsible stocks first.
:cool:

can't find a picture of when we first got them, but everyone knows what the Vietnam-era 20" M16s look like, this is the current setup of our rifles when the last people in charge switched them to 16". I had just added the collapsible stock and sling.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5401/20110628195204.jpg

I'll post another pic once I get this magpul stuff on. I've got a spare light somewhere too.
Had it out the other night and couldn't see crap so I said we need to start adding lights.

Yay, got the grip on.
Boo, bent the selector spring.
Crap! No spare selector springs in stock, time to order some.