Glass Breakers/Punches? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glass Breakers/Punches?

emt1581
02-10-2012, 19:46
Anyone have a glass breaker/punch in their preps, BOB, GHB?

I'd like to find one that'll take care of more than just auto glass.

Thanks

-Emt1581

M1A Shooter
02-10-2012, 19:58
i have a spring loaded center punch that i keep in my edc bag. its main use would be emergency building exits or vehicle glass if i dont just kick it out.

what are you forseeing needing to get through tougher than auto glass? most tempered glass used in doors would be similar to auto glass and anything much stronger will most likely be a laminate that needs to be broken and then cut.

emt1581
02-10-2012, 20:04
i have a spring loaded center punch that i keep in my edc bag. its main use would be emergency building exits or vehicle glass if i dont just kick it out.

what are you forseeing needing to get through tougher than auto glass? most tempered glass used in doors would be similar to auto glass and anything much stronger will most likely be a laminate that needs to be broken and then cut.

I'm thinking that glass with the wire/mesh in it. Used in schools and offices a lot. I'm not sure if a boot will clear that out after the surface is shattered... :dunno:

Then there's double-paned/layered and so on.

I'm just thinking of your average office building/mall/etc... what would be needed to bust through.

-Emt1581

UneasyRider
02-10-2012, 20:19
I'm thinking that glass with the wire/mesh in it. Used in schools and offices a lot. I'm not sure if a boot will clear that out after the surface is shattered... :dunno:

Then there's double-paned/layered and so on.

I'm just thinking of your average office building/mall/etc... what would be needed to bust through.

-Emt1581

The wire mesh goes down pretty easy with brute force...

You need a special tool for cutting the laminated glass I have been told, you won't be using a punch on it.

Lucky for you most commercial glass is just tempered and will fall into a million pieces if you put a hole in it, a corner is the easyest spot. I was standing 3 feet from a 8 foot x 8 foot pane when it was pierced and the entire window just fell to the floor in seconds.

bdcochran
02-10-2012, 20:22
spark plug tip. seen it used by a Columbian national. he fled after arraignment. he then came back. easy pickings at least 150 car burglaries a month near the beach. same mo.

emt1581
02-10-2012, 20:24
spark plug tip. seen it used by a Columbian national. he fled after arraignment. he then came back. easy pickings at least 150 car burglaries a month near the beach. same mo.

Yeah the porcelain. Something about the frequency of the sound/vibration it makes or density...I dunno..PLENTY of youtube vids on it though.

-Emt1581

kirgi08
02-10-2012, 20:34
Asp.'08.

emt1581
02-10-2012, 21:32
Asp.'08.

Can anyone else speak to this? I've seen cops use them to break windows but I'm wondering if the weight factor eliminates it from consideration.

Plus you need to replace the little retention piece every few years IIRC.

...or were you joking?

Thanks

-Emt1581

RichJ
02-10-2012, 22:18
I knew a guy once who had been a petty burglar at one time. He told me about the spark plug thing. He said he'd toss a plug at car window as he walked by and if it didn't draw any attention, he'd come back and steal whatever was in there.

I thought it was the tip (carbide?) that did the work, not the porcelain though. Either way, it apparently works well.

<----- does not condone stealing.

kirgi08
02-10-2012, 22:23
EMT,I can say I ain't joking.I carry an Asp SS at work.The thing is not ta get a "LW" SS model,they bend so much they won't retract.'08.

racerford
02-10-2012, 22:36
You need a special tool for cutting the laminated glass I have been told, you won't be using a punch on it.

Do not watch this video if you do not have money to spend. I think about buying it often since seeing the video, I just haven't pulled the trigger, so to speak. I will after other priorities are cleared.

Victorinox - Swiss Army Knife - Rescue Tool - YouTube

Victorinox - Rescue Tool

I was impressed by the video and the tool.

I carry a Res-Q-me glass punch and seatbelt cutter on my keyring.

The tool above may just become an EDC since I don't have to travel by air much anymore.

M1A Shooter
02-10-2012, 22:59
fire extenguisher from the wall nearby works on the wire mesh glass door window inserts. takes a bit of effort but works ok.

but honestly if a punch wont get through it, a piece of furniture is probably the best bet. or a BFH.

emt1581
02-10-2012, 23:10
Do not watch this video if you do not have money to spend. I think about buying it often since seeing the video, I just haven't pulled the trigger, so to speak. I will after other priorities are cleared.

Victorinox - Rescue Tool

I was impressed by the video and the tool.

I carry a Res-Q-me glass punch and seatbelt cutter on my keyring.

The tool above may just become an EDC since I don't have to travel by air much anymore.

Interesting but it didn't get me all tingly inside. The actual tools used to do what that guy did are MUCH more purpose built and they get the job done in a few seconds.

Other than the windshield cutter, what does that knife have that any decent multi-tool does not?

But again, it is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

-Emt1581

racerford
02-11-2012, 00:17
Interesting but it didn't get me all tingly inside. The actual tools used to do what that guy did are MUCH more purpose built and they get the job done in a few seconds.

Other than the windshield cutter, what does that knife have that any decent multi-tool does not?

But again, it is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

-Emt1581

Well I don't work in or near the industry so I had never seen someone cut through a windshield. When we witnessed a high speed accident with a rollover, the rescue team did not use any one the methods shown to remove the windshield. Maybe it was because the rescue team was from a small volunteer fire dept.

Do you have any links or names of purpose built tools for cutting a windshield?

9mm +p+
02-11-2012, 01:52
I have a tail cap that does excellent double duty on my baton, it helps center the baton in your hand for a strike but flipped over that big piece of steel is just like a hammer. I'm never anywhere that I'm not armed so glass isn't a huge worry.

IV Troop
02-11-2012, 07:22
In regards to car windows and spark plugs,

What you guy are talking about is commonly called on the street a "Ninja Rock". It is a chunk of the ceramic part of the spark plug. It is very quiet when thieves tap on the windows of the vehicles until they shatter.

Glockdude1
02-11-2012, 07:48

http://www.qmuniforms.com/_productimages/brands/asp/batons/end%20caps/184x233/s69-2061.jpg

ASP end cap. Works very well.

:cool:

BMH
02-11-2012, 09:37
You might try this: Amazon.com: BLACKHAWK! HawkHook Silver Handle Knife - Serrated Edge: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31bmV3%2BMUtL.@@AMEPARAM@@31bmV3%2BMUtL

BigFatDog
02-13-2012, 14:59
Benchmade ERT-1 - I've had them within reach in every vehicle for years. I've never needed them, until this school year. Used one 2 times this year.

The first time was a 2 year old locked inside a Suburban... Wasn't strapped in... Climed up front while mommy walked around the car... She had closed the door so kid wouldn't fall out... Kid pushed the lock button... Police were called.

Five minutes after call officer arrived and spent the next ten minutes trying to persuade the kid to "push the button."

At that point the kid had been in the locked car for over 25 minutes. Mommy tried the button thing on her own.

The officer started banging on the door glass farthest from the kid with his stick. When he stopped to take a breath I offered him the tool. Kid was out a few seconds later.

ETA: The officer gave me my tool back without batting an eye, followed by a heart handshake and his thanks.

The second time was a Tahoe, similar story only faculty asked me to "use my tool rather than call the police." I did, after securing promises of indemnification. Kid was out seconds after I pressed the tool against the lower corner of the window furthest away from the kid. Similar ending, only this time the kid wasn't crying and hadn't even broken a sweat.

Spring loaded glass punches are nice. No muss, no fuss, one press and done. Try it out first, on a junk car, so you will know what to expect. It will look just like that time you shot out your cousin's rear quarter glass on his station wagon... Like I'm the only one :)

Jake514
02-14-2012, 18:03
FYI - if you must and have a choice - always break tempered glass.

Depending on the local codes, many commercial buildiings will have tempered glass every 75', and is marked in a lower corner of the glass with a red circle containing a "T" about two inches in diameter. These tempered panes will break into rock-salt type pieces when broke, and provide access, smoke evaculation, etc.

Most skylights are plexiglass or tempered glass with wire.

Other glass is heat strentghened, plate or similar, and will only break into long shards that will act like swords to cut - very hazardous.

leadcounsel
02-20-2012, 02:28
Why not just a hammer, or a Estwing style tool that has a hatchet on one side of the head and a hammer on the other side of the head. Also doubles as, obviously, a hammer and an ax.

blackflag
02-20-2012, 15:05
Res Q rench!

W.E.G.
02-20-2012, 22:11
You mean I can't just clench both fists, and dive through it, just like all the movies???

Allfal
02-22-2012, 01:57
EMT,I can say I ain't joking.I carry an Asp SS at work.The thing is not ta get a "LW" SS model,they bend so much they won't retract.'08.

I carry the standard steel, not stainless, 26inch. It will break side windows handily if you hit it hard enough. Most hit those windows as if they are trying to break house window glass and nothing happens. Using it retracted and just using the point breaks side windows in a more controlled manner. Front and back auto glass, less so. It will crack and even put a hole in in but the glass stays mostly intact. There are a number of end caps available for it, including glass breaking. The only one I ever bought was a monadnock { spelling may be wrong } after an officer survival course many years ago. It kind of looks like a mushroom and keeps the baton from slipping out of your hand if wet and gives you some additional leverage if in a struggle. Even using it to pry things I have never had one bent so badly it would not retract when pounded on a hard surface. That said, most anything will break side window glass when used properly.

after re reading I see you were talking about the light weight asp. Never used them. Don't know anyone that does.