New rifle. Buffer retainer? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New rifle. Buffer retainer?

boby
02-11-2012, 18:20
Hello everyone. Bought a new RRA entry tactical today. When I got it home I found the bolt wouldn't lock back manually or with an empty mag. The bolt catch was trying to lock on the carrier instead of the bolt face. Suspecting they put the wrong buffer spring in I took the rifle apart. I found the buffer retainer to be missing. Apparently it had come loose and was floating around in the lower.

Anyways trying to replace the buffer retainer has proven futile. If I screw the buffer tube into the rifle anymore to properly secure the buffer retainer, it blocks the upper and lower from mating. What the hell rock river!?

Anyone have any advice here? Guess I learned my lesson on making sure everything works before I buy something. The rifle was still wrapped up in its plastic unopened when I bought it so I figured it would be ok.

http://i.imgur.com/CyorY.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2WurD.jpg

bmoore
02-11-2012, 18:31
That is power weak. Im not sure i understand the situation completely. So you are threading so much that the upper bumps the actual buffer tube when lowering down to the lower? Buffer tube out of spec?

boby
02-11-2012, 18:34
That is power weak. Im not sure i understand the situation completely. So you are threading so much that the upper bumps the actual buffer tube when lowering down to the lower? Buffer tube out of spec?

You are exactly right. The pictures above are how everything was assembled when I took the rifle apart. If I try to put the buffer retainer in it just sits there, wont stay secure.

But as you are saying, threading the buffer in any more makes the upper bump the buffer tube when trying to put everything back together.

Sorry I am having trouble explaining this haha. Not very happy with rock river at the moment...

MarkCO
02-11-2012, 18:57
I run most of my ARs with no buffer retainer. It is not necessary for operation, just makes take-down a little simpler. They break more often than people think.

boby
02-11-2012, 19:04
I run most of my ARs with no buffer retainer. It is not necessary for operation, just makes take-down a little simpler. They break more often than people think.

That's a good point, I didn't even realize it wasn't an essential part.

With that said, my bolt still refuses to lock back properly. Any advice on that?

faawrenchbndr
02-11-2012, 19:05
Either contact the shop you bought it from, or RRA directly. They will take care of it.

bmoore
02-11-2012, 19:07
Looks out of spec to me. Your tube is already flush with your upper and your not getting enough bite to hold in your retainer, anymore and you go beyond and your upper will not close. Somebody may come along behind me with more useful info but I say take that thing back.

bmoore
02-11-2012, 19:08
That's a good point, I didn't even realize it wasn't an essential part.

With that said, my bolt still refuses to lock back properly. Any advice on that?

Who cares if they arent required to run with it, the rifle should be put together well and function after being brought home.

boby
02-11-2012, 19:12
Who cares if they arent required to run with it, the rifle should be put together well and function after being brought home.

I agree. Either way I am calling Rock River on Monday. Just nice to know I can at least use it if need be.

faawrenchbndr
02-11-2012, 19:13
Why not talk to the shop where you bought it?

The little notch in the buffer tube is the problem, you need a new tube.

boby
02-11-2012, 19:15
Why not talk to the shop where you bought it?

The little notch in the buffer tube is the problem, you need a new tube.

They refuse to budge on their no return policy.

Boxerglocker
02-11-2012, 19:29

Have they offered to fix it? If you decide on getting at new buffer tube, get a LMT.

MarkCO
02-11-2012, 19:31
I went down and looked at 3 tubes before I said anything, but that tube end looks like it was cut on a bandsaw and not finsihed. It looks rough. I wonder if there was a problem and someone decided to try and get creative.

As for the not functioning, did you get all the parts out of the rifle? No spring, detent, etc. stuck in the buffer, buffer tube, lower, etc.? Are there gouges on anything?

mjkeat
02-11-2012, 20:19

They sold you a defective product and won't do anything to correct their mistake? Sad on the part of RRA and your LGS.

Mayhem like Me
02-11-2012, 21:54
CAll RRA and ship it to them they will fix it.
And warn everyone and post the name of the POS shop that won't make this right

WoodenPlank
02-11-2012, 22:08
If the LGS sold you a rifle with a problem, and IS NOT willing to make it right, then they deserve to be thrown under the bus.

bmoore
02-11-2012, 22:16
CAll RRA and ship it to them they will fix it.
And warn everyone and post the name of the POS shop that won't make this right

This, post up that shop.

JBaird22
02-12-2012, 00:29
The receiver extension is missing that little lip that retains the buffer retainer pin. It does look like a hack job. RRA should take care of this. As for your LGS, I would say bad on them. But then, every gun I get in I function test it (not fire it) before it goes out the door.

mvician
02-13-2012, 00:58
Did the "tube" have loctite on it?
Bets are someone bubba'd that rifle.

Javelin
02-13-2012, 01:17
It's an easy fix so long as the receiver is not damaged. But you shouldn't have to do it yourself in all honest and I agree with mvician that it is probably some crap hack issue.

ReyFufuRulesAll
02-13-2012, 01:45
Methinks it might be possible that your LGS knew about the problem ahead of time and that's why they're not budging on their policy. Sounds like some crooked mofos to me.

NEOH212
02-13-2012, 03:06
Either contact the shop you bought it from, or RRA directly. They will take care of it.

This. I heard RRA has good customer service. :wavey:

DirectDrive
02-13-2012, 16:53
Boby,

RRA is aware of this issue.
Please contact them as soon as possible.
Steve at RRA is waiting to hear from you.

DD

Powerkicker
02-13-2012, 16:53
Call RRA and find out whether that receiver left their factory assembled or as a lower.

Ruggles
02-13-2012, 17:16
Screw that LGS, they deserve the verbal public slap I say.

FatBoy
02-13-2012, 17:23
tag for outcome

waawaaweenie
02-13-2012, 17:56
I am willing to bet his LGS built that rifle with a Rock River stripped lower and trying to sell it as a factory built gun

that extension tube looks hacked up and probably not the only thing that is

I am sure RRA would love to hear about this. They are all about quality and this makes them look bad

Javelin
02-13-2012, 18:21
I am willing to bet his LGS built that rifle with a Rock River stripped lower and trying to sell it as a factory built gun

that extension tube looks hacked up and probably not the only thing that is

I am sure RRA would love to hear about this. They are all about quality and this makes them look bad

Gun store would never do that.... :whistling:

Though I am wondering if they did in fact do it would they have the balls to place a warranty card in the box with the firearm? OP you have a Warranty Card from RRA?

boby
02-13-2012, 19:52
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I did not get a chance to call them today as my family took me out to dinner and some other things for my birthday. I am going to call them tomorrow and I will update everyone. I have heard good things about RRA customer service, hopefully its true.

The gun store is Indy Custom Firearms.

I was looking to purchase the entry tactical specifically and looked for distributors near me on RRA website. I found Indy custom firearms and they told me they were at a nearby gun show for the weekend and they had a few entry tacticals. So I drove the 2 hours to the gun show to get the rifle. As I said it was still in plastic and everything, and it wasn't just some random vendor at a gun store. They were listed on RRA website so I assumed everything was fine. When I called to ask what the heck was wrong with this rifle they basically told me to pound sand. "Its not our problem".

boby
02-13-2012, 19:56
Gun store would never do that.... :whistling:

Though I am wondering if they did in fact do it would they have the balls to place a warranty card in the box with the firearm? OP you have a Warranty Card from RRA?

Yes I do have the warranty card and manual.

One thing I do find odd however is that the gun came in the wrong case. It came with 2 magazines and 3 small rail guards.

http://i.imgur.com/A7YrM.jpg

The rifle has no rails so why the hell did I get rail guards. Really starting to think they just threw this thing together out of spare parts...

DirectDrive
02-13-2012, 20:28
Yes I do have the warranty card and manual.

One thing I do find odd however is that the gun came in the wrong case. It came with 2 magazines and 3 small rail guards.

http://i.imgur.com/A7YrM.jpg

The rifle has no rails so why the hell did I get rail guards. Really starting to think they just threw this thing together out of spare parts...
With the serial number, RRA will be able to tell you in what form the receiver left their facility.

Jack Black
02-13-2012, 21:10

It doesn't have a flat top upper receiver?

boby
02-13-2012, 21:21
It doesn't have a flat top upper receiver?

It does but it has a detachable carry handle.

This product: http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=430 is listed as including the 3 rail guards that I got.

I just feel like an idiot now... I should have noticed all of this.

DirectDrive
02-14-2012, 08:40
It does but it has a detachable carry handle.

This product: http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=430 is listed as including the 3 rail guards that I got.

I just feel like an idiot now... I should have noticed all of this.
There will be no way to figure this out until you contact Steve at RRA.

Looking at the base Tactical Entry package you should have a corn-cob handguard, Hogue grip, A2 carry handle, and RRA marked M4-type stock.

Reading the slowly leaking information here like tea leaves, it's possible that the rifle was ordered with upgraded furniture and then stripped back to basic.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=217

CONTACT STEVE @ RRA !

Mayhem like Me
02-14-2012, 08:50
Contact Indy Custom Firearms

Please call (317) 697-5318 or send an email to rick@indycustomfirearms.com.

Thanks, Richard Cass

FYI

muad
02-14-2012, 09:34
There will be no way to figure this out until you contact Steve at RRA.
CONTACT STEVE @ RRA !

This.

RRA's CS has been excellent for me in the past, they will make it right; and I'll almost bet they will make it right even if this "Indy Custom Firearms" won't.

Good luck, subscribed for the outcome.

boby
02-14-2012, 12:40
Been trying to call them for an hour now. Busy line every time.

boby
02-14-2012, 13:05
Got a hold of Steve. Will update in a bit.

boby
02-14-2012, 13:41
OK I gave Steve from Rock River the serial number and he confirmed it left them as a stripped lower receiver but he wants to give the store a chance to make it right. He assured me he had spoken with Indy Custom Guns owner and he wanted to make it right.

After speaking with the gun store they want to make it right. I will probably be meeting with him tomorrow or possibly tonight (he is supposed to call me back in a little bit) and hopefully figuring out what can be done to make it right. He offered to completely replace the rifle.

Apparently what happened (and who knows if its true), is the rifle was taken as a trade in and mistagged as a new rifle by one of his employees.

Good job to Rock River for doing what they can to make this right. Steve said if the gun store doesn't take care of it then he would at least fix the buffer tube for me.

Mayhem like Me
02-14-2012, 14:00
I am telling you run and get this done ASAP.. Indycustom guns is a sham , any store KNOWS what came in from the little yellow forms they fill out..
Get the new gun then NEVER deal with them again...

They are totally full of crap, what happened was RRA was going to cut them off as a wholesaler if he did not make this right...Kuddos RRA big negative 10 to your local shop...

HarlDane
02-14-2012, 14:10
I am telling you run and get this done ASAP.. Indycustom guns is a sham , any store KNOWS what came in from the little yellow forms they fill out..
Get the new gun then NEVER deal with them again...

They are totally full of crap, what happened was RRA was going to cut them off as a wholesaler if he did not make this right...Kuddos RRA big negative 10 to your local shop...This. They knew exactly what they were selling. It's nice to see RRA step up for you.

faawrenchbndr
02-14-2012, 15:07
Indy Custom Guns is a big rip off store, wish you had mentioned the store earlier.

My Son-in-Law got royally screwed there, legal action still
in progress. Basically it involved befrauding a customer, very
similar to this issue, involved a $2k+ sale.

You are going to need to get a lawyer and pound them in the @!

Javelin
02-14-2012, 17:49
Holy crap! I am surprised that firearm manufacturers even give them the ability to sell their products in their stores as authorized dealers. But I guess at the end of the day money talks.

This is complete BS... and it was obvious a hack job by some noob AR builder. This is important::: Make sure when you get your 'new' gun that it has full manufacturer paperwork inside... and because these guys at Indy Custom Guns are turds please call RRA to verify the serial number.

Good Luck!

:wavey:

boby
02-14-2012, 18:01
The owner called back and suddenly had a new Entry Operator2. So we met and after giving it a very good look over exchanged rifles. I'm still going to verify the number with RRA just to be sure.

Please don't hate on Rock River for this. Obviously it was not their fault. Honestly they didn't even need to do anything for me but they did anyways and I really appreciate it.

I am satisfied that I got my rifle replaced but I most certainly will not be buying anything from Indy Custom Guns again.

Lesson: Don't be a moron like me and expect a gun store to be honest.

Mayhem like Me
02-14-2012, 18:14
you did great... an educated consumer is an economic force in this economy.. Good job... Now put some rounds through that sum beech you earned it.

MarkCO
02-14-2012, 19:18
I say ROCK ON, good for you and RRA.

FatBoy
02-14-2012, 20:00
I am glad that things worked out well for you. One thing I like about DPMS is they put a "k" at the end of the serial # if it leaves as a stripped receiver, or at least they use to. Saves this kind of crap. I know, who wants to build a "rip off" DPMS ;).

FB

BBJones
02-14-2012, 20:03
I am glad that things worked out well for you. One thing I like about DPMS is they put a "k" at the end of the serial # if it leaves as a stripped receiver, or at least they use to. Saves this kind of crap. I know, who wants to build a "rip off" DPMS ;).

FB

They are all ripoffs. ;)

faawrenchbndr
02-15-2012, 02:30
Damn fine to hear this worked out well.
I'm sure the store owner now has a bit of explaining to do to RRA.

bmoore
02-15-2012, 15:08
Glad it got worked out for you. Congrats on your new rifle.

boby
02-16-2012, 19:42
Serial number checks out.

Also want to thank everyone from AR15.com for your help as well. I cant register there to thank you personally since it wont let me register with a gmail address.