Zombie/Survival Trilogy - A New World [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Zombie/Survival Trilogy - A New World

UneasyRider
02-11-2012, 19:20
A New World Trilogy by John O'Brien was a very good read. The first book took a while to get comfortable with but once it got rolling I really liked it. It was a different kind of Zombie, more human disease type, and it was both action and survival oriented. So anyway, I liked it and thought that I would pass it on.

Aceman
02-12-2012, 08:33
Tell me more about the variety of Zed.

UneasyRider
02-12-2012, 09:08
Tell me more about the variety of Zed.

Human mutation from a rushed vaccine to fight a new super flu distributed world wide causes a DNA level change in 27% of the population, 1% are naturally immune and it kills the rest. The mutation is a "Night Runner" with improved night vision, smell and hearing... can't go out in the sunlight... but of course a bite will do you in. They don't retain human memories or verbal communication and are very base level thinkers as in let's eat.

Anyway they are not your traditional zombie and this gives the book a very different path to follow with a lot of survivalist things going on. If you like Zombie books this is a nice take on them. Check Amazon, I think that the third book had 26 five star review ratings, don't remember the others, I like them all.

MedicOni
02-12-2012, 12:19
Just bought the first book on my Kindle, hoping it's good :)

Aceman
02-12-2012, 21:31
Human mutation from a rushed vaccine to fight a new super flu distributed world wide causes a DNA level change in 27% of the population, 1% are naturally immune and it kills the rest. The mutation is a "Night Runner" with improved night vision, smell and hearing... can't go out in the sunlight... but of course a bite will do you in. They don't retain human memories or verbal communication and are very base level thinkers as in let's eat.

Anyway they are not your traditional zombie and this gives the book a very different path to follow with a lot of survivalist things going on. If you like Zombie books this is a nice take on them. Check Amazon, I think that the third book had 26 five star review ratings, don't remember the others, I like them all.

Sounds like those things from Will Smith/I Am Legend sort of. Cool.

20South
02-12-2012, 21:47
Dead of Night - A Zombie Novel (Mayberry) was one of the most interesting takes on Zed I have ever read. Basically a former soviet scientist had discovered a certain combination of naturally occurring parasites that would take over a human body, but the human would maintain consciousness, but lose control of their body. The CIA brought him to the US and got him a job as a prison doctor where he continued his work. There were some really stupid inaccuracies like a .45 caliber Glock 22 (or some incorrect caliber) and a few other things like that in the beginning which made me almost want to quit reading it, but it was a cool take and good story so I am glad a stuck it out. Would highly recommend. It also showed what I believe would be the correct military response to any pandemic breaking out in a town in spirit of quarantine.

UneasyRider
02-13-2012, 07:01
Dead of Night - A Zombie Novel (Mayberry) was one of the most interesting takes on Zed I have ever read. Basically a former soviet scientist had discovered a certain combination of naturally occurring parasites that would take over a human body, but the human would maintain consciousness, but lose control of their body. The CIA brought him to the US and got him a job as a prison doctor where he continued his work. There were some really stupid inaccuracies like a .45 caliber Glock 22 (or some incorrect caliber) and a few other things like that in the beginning which made me almost want to quit reading it, but it was a cool take and good story so I am glad a stuck it out. Would highly recommend. It also showed what I believe would be the correct military response to any pandemic breaking out in a town in spirit of quarantine.

That sounds good, I'll check it out as I love Zombie books and they are the ultimate survival challenge. A lot of really good authors get gun details wrong, Janet Evonovich in one of the "Stephanie Plum" books had a line where Stephanie "flipped the safety on her Glock" which I found a little interesting... the movie did credit to the book in "One for the Money" BTW.

20South
02-13-2012, 09:46
...Janet Evonovich in one of the "Stephanie Plum" books had a line where Stephanie "flipped the safety on her Glock" which I found a little interesting...

Maybe that's where the episode 1 of The Walking Dead got the idea from...:rofl:

I like the Zed books and other fictional apocalyptic works too. Good to keep you thinking.