The cheapest . . . least expensive . . . budget guns [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The cheapest . . . least expensive . . . budget guns

Faulkner
02-11-2012, 20:17
I've seen a plethra of threads asking what is the cheapest or least expensive or best budget (fill in the blank) gun on the market. My question is why?

There is not that much price difference between a cheap deer rifle, or .22 auto pistol, or .380 pocket pistol and a reputable firearm. Unless you just have to have it right now, I suggest it's better to hold off a while until funds can be saved up to go ahead a purchase a quality firearm.

Seems a common question is, "what is the best 1911 I can get for $300"? The answer . . . nothing! Instead, cut down on the soft drinks and save a few more bucks and get a Springfield or Kimber or S&W or Ruger. I'm not talking about holding off for a Wilson or Les Baer, but don't settle for cheap when you can only afford one gun.

Patchman
02-11-2012, 20:26
Oh I agree!

Seems plenty of people will buy an entry level gun (for example, a Sigma) for $300 when they can save another $200 - $250 and buy a Glock or an M&P. We're talking saving another $300, not $3,000 or $30,000.

And many of those purchaser will eventually want to upgrade anyway.

mickdundie
02-11-2012, 20:29
I know what your saying. Just yesterday at the range this young fella had a new Hi Point 9mm pistol. He wasn't having fun. The pistol would jam 2 or 3 times per mag. He was shooting Federal ammo and the report sounded good...so I don't think it was a ammo problem. What do those pistols sell for new? $250ish

But then I was with my son and his friend, who just bought a new $1300 S&W 1911 from Smith & Wessons custom gun shop (or whatever it is) It failed to return to battery a couple of times in a hundred rounds. I would've been POd. So it's kinda a crap shoot.

Heck even some of the GLOCK Gen 4s are having problems...:whistling:

Mick:thumbsup:

Andrewsky
02-11-2012, 20:32
The best thing to do is buy guns that have a history of being adopted as service weapons. Makarovs are under $250, concealable, and as reliable as it gets.

michael e
02-11-2012, 20:37
I know what your saying. Just yesterday at the range this young fella had a new Hi Point 9mm pistol. He wasn't having fun. The pistol would jam 2 or 3 times per mag. He was shooting Federal ammo and the report sounded good...so I don't think it was a ammo problem. What do those pistols sell for new? $250ish

Mick:thumbsup:
They are around 160 at the gun shows. But for around 300 350 can find a used police trade in.

hogship
02-11-2012, 22:07
For very little difference in cost, that Hi-Point could have been a used quality handgun.

......most people just don't feel comfortable with a used gun......and, will buy a cheap budget gun that's new.

ooc

The Habit
02-11-2012, 22:11
While it's true that you typically get what you pay for relative to firearms, inexpensive does not always equal inferior.

HKLovingIT
02-11-2012, 22:15
I would just buy used. A used SIG, Glock, M&P, XD, whatever is going to be in many people's budget range that were looking for something "cheap." Pro Tip: Police Trade Ins.

Sometimes you do find gems that are inexpensive, but not cheaply made or crappy performers. My Philippines 1911 is great and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. The slide to frame fit is better than any of the SIG or S&W ones I compared to at the shop.

The CM9, LC9 are pretty inexpensive and run good.

J-Frames can be had pretty darn cheap these days.

BailRecoveryAgent
02-11-2012, 23:12
I paid $379.99 for my brand new SIG SP2022, and it wasn't because I couldn't afford anything more costly, I just loved the crap outta that gun and bought it. It's not just a range gun either, it is my EDC and replaced a Glock.

carbuncle
02-11-2012, 23:17
I paid $379.99 for my brand new SIG SP2022, and it wasn't because I couldn't afford anything more costly, I just loved the crap outta that gun and bought it. It's not just a range gun either, it is my EDC and replaced a Glock.

Yeah, but the reports on those are that they have the mythical mix of good price and good quality.

Soupah
02-11-2012, 23:29
Actually, there are TOO many quality handguns at affordable prices right now. I rarely spend over $300 for one (and I don't buy Hi Points), and if you have a touch of patience, you can get exquisite finds under $200. You can't even claim that your local gun store is overpriced or never has such offerings, because these deals are online.

Quite solid used Taurus .38spl revolvers can be had on auction sites right now for $175 shipped

If concealable is your angle, used S&W model .38 snubs can be found for $200 every now and then on the same sites (just saw one last week)

Plenty of used S&W police trade-in autos (915 and such) online as well recently

There's plenty more, the above three are just examples of frequently available deals.

oldnoob
02-12-2012, 01:39
Guns are cheap. In comparison with cost of ammo.

Javelin
02-12-2012, 02:31
I bought a cheap gun once. It was a used (but new) SIG P225 (P6). Cost me $280 and it came brand spanking new in box. I love that pistol. Best damn deal I have ever got on a gun too.

Hour13
02-12-2012, 02:45
For those like myself who don't like "pocket pistols"... and don't feel that carrying a caliber smaller than 9mm will result in certain doom...

Bersa Thunder .380

Dollar for dollar one of the most accurate, beautifully crafted, solid guns I've come across. Easy to carry, and a joy to shoot.

90% of the time, my EDC is my HK .40 USP, but in the hottest months, I enjoy carrying that little Bersa.

nelsone
02-12-2012, 02:53

Boy isn't that the truth. Forget the gun purchase; you'll spend twice that on ammo in a year or so. Especially if your chosen caliber is .45 ACP like mine. Whatever - it's only money.

Everybody has their price point and their personal prejudices. There are plenty of people who swear by their Hi-Points, and I can't fault them for it. I can frankly understand that choice better than my friend who spent $1300 on a .45 pistol just because it said H&K on it.

My choice is Glock for their track record and how well they suit lefties. Some people sneer because they're "cheap plastic," while others call me a "fanboy" for extolling their affordability, indestructibility,... all the -ilities. But it suits me, and that's that.

dudel
02-12-2012, 06:18
I rather get a used Glock LE trade in than a new, cheap POS.

dudel
02-12-2012, 06:19

Give away the razors, sell the blades. Oldest (well, second oldest) marketing trick in the book.

series1811
02-12-2012, 07:09

Those have to be the deal of the century.

bac1023
02-12-2012, 07:26
There are plenty of quality used firearms for cheap money.

For example, many 3rd gen Smiths can be had fairly cheap. They may not be refined, but the are about as durable and reliable as you can get.

bac1023
02-12-2012, 07:26

:agree: :wow:

iontrap
02-12-2012, 07:50
I've seen a plethra of threads asking what is the cheapest or least expensive or best budget (fill in the blank) gun on the market. My question is why?

There is not that much price difference between a cheap deer rifle, or .22 auto pistol, or .380 pocket pistol and a reputable firearm. Unless you just have to have it right now, I suggest it's better to hold off a while until funds can be saved up to go ahead a purchase a quality firearm.

Seems a common question is, "what is the best 1911 I can get for $300"? The answer . . . nothing! Instead, cut down on the soft drinks and save a few more bucks and get a Springfield or Kimber or S&W or Ruger. I'm not talking about holding off for a Wilson or Les Baer, but don't settle for cheap when you can only afford one gun.

I was lucky to be able to find a RIA Tactical 1911 for $300 right before Christmas. Also found a 2nd gen G19 a couple of years ago, at a gun show, for $300.

craig19
02-12-2012, 07:55
There are ton of good used guns that can be purchased for what these new junkers are going for. I'd rather own a PD trade-in 3rd GEN Smith, Glock or Beretta, before I'd buy a new Hi-point or Taurus.

sullyxlh
02-12-2012, 08:03
Whats funny is what people spend on a gun then turn around and bit_h about spending $200 on a holster and belt all the while defending their Uncle Mikes and Walmart gear.

Fox
02-12-2012, 08:31

It's why more people need to be reloading.

Andrewsky
02-12-2012, 10:03
It's why more people need to be reloading.

I'd rather just go to work. It's less likely I'd blow myself up at work.

BailRecoveryAgent
02-12-2012, 10:12
Yeah, but the reports on those are that they have the mythical mix of good price and good quality.

Maybe reports here on GT from the Glock fanboys, but over on the Sig forum many die hard Sig fans own and love the Sig Pro line. Bruce Grey, who could carry any Sig he wanted to, carries an SP2022.

:agree: :wow:

That has been my feelings as well.

mingaa
02-12-2012, 10:12
Check out the Ruger P95 often around the 300 price point. I had one until recently - its well built accurate - full size but a great shooter for the price. Sold it recently deciding that ALL my pistols would be striker or DOA. The Ruger is a declocker but that in itself is not a negative if it fits your style.

mingaa
02-12-2012, 10:15
There are ton of good used guns that can be purchased for what these new junkers are going for. I'd rather own a PD trade-in 3rd GEN Smith, Glock or Beretta, before I'd buy a new Hi-point or Taurus.

Good words. Check Summit guns on line - lots of Leo trade ins there. Buds is doing more in that area as well. Keep us posted!

390ish
02-12-2012, 10:50
Polish P-64

carbuncle
02-12-2012, 10:55
Maybe reports here on GT from the Glock fanboys, but over on the Sig forum many die hard Sig fans own and love the Sig Pro line. Bruce Grey, who could carry any Sig he wanted to, carries an SP2022.

Um...I was complimenting the 2022, I want one...

brausso
02-12-2012, 11:13

I recently picked one up on a trade. It's just as smooth of a shooter as my p220. I've heard the magazine's are expensive, but mine came with 4 so I'm not too worried about it :cool:

mac66
02-12-2012, 11:13

And yet, I can buy a used Ruger P97 for $300 or less and it shoots the same cartridge as my +$1000 1911 and is reliable and accurate enough for self defense. Sometimes good enough it good enough.

dr_hefley
02-12-2012, 11:31
Check out the Ruger P95 often around the 300 price point. I had one until recently - its well built accurate - full size but a great shooter for the price. Sold it recently deciding that ALL my pistols would be striker or DOA. The Ruger is a declocker but that in itself is not a negative if it fits your style.

I have 3 P95s. Absolutely love them. It's a pistol I recommend for others just getting started in shooting. Built like a tank, no malfunctions. I think they are highly underrated.

ArmedMikeQ
02-12-2012, 13:08
Hellcat .380 pistol is cheap. Local gun shop which is always higher than most have them for $209.00 so I am sure you can get them cheaper. I never have tested them though.

Gunblast.com - Hellcat 380 ACP Pocket Auto from I.O., Inc. - YouTube

ArmedMikeQ
02-12-2012, 13:32
You can get a KelTec from Budsgunshop for 229.00

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_150/products_id/46621/Kel-Tec+6+%2B+1+Round+Double+Action+Only+380+ACP+Blue+wGreen+Fram

or a Taurus TCP 380 cal for $199.00

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/77957/Taurus+1738031FS+738+TCP+380+1MG+NO+CASE

4 glocks
02-12-2012, 13:53
I saw some Glock .40 police trades for $325. Seems like a good deal for the money.

carbuncle
02-12-2012, 13:54
I have 3 P95s. Absolutely love them. It's a pistol I recommend for others just getting started in shooting. Built like a tank, no malfunctions. I think they are highly underrated.

In general I think the P-series are a great value gun, along with the more common S&W 3rd generation pistols. The P-series have the advantage of being actively supported, though. They aren't pretty, but they go bang reliably and are plenty accurate. Cheap full-cap mags, too!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

CJStudent
02-12-2012, 14:34

I used the DAO version in the academy (federal agency, no less). It was not bad for how inexpensive it is, but we had issues with watching the baseplates on the magazines; they liked to shift out of place, and wouldn't allow the mag to lock into the gun when inserted. This may have been a wear issue (like I said, this was at FLETC), and you may not ever wear yours out that badly, but still something to watch for.

Wyoming
02-12-2012, 15:31

:agree:

It will cost you more to buy cheap if you have to replace it with what you should have bought in the first place.

paintballwannab
02-12-2012, 15:47
I'd rather just go to work. It's less likely I'd blow myself up at work.

A friend of mine is former Army EOD, he would much rather reload :whistling:

Reloading isn't bad, do your homework and things are fine. But your smart, if its something your not comfortable with don't do it.

BailRecoveryAgent
02-12-2012, 19:46
Um...I was complimenting the 2022, I want one...

Oops, I misunderstood your post, :embarassed:I though you were saying the reviews on the quality was mixed. I know a batch that went to Kommiefornia had some issues, Calguns was lit up with people that got a bad one, but it was isolated to a small batch of them and the problem has been nonexistent since.

For under $400, they are definitely one of, if not the best buy out there right now.

carbuncle
02-12-2012, 23:31
Oops, I misunderstood your post, :embarassed:I though you were saying the reviews on the quality was mixed. I know a batch that went to Kommiefornia had some issues, Calguns was lit up with people that got a bad one, but it was isolated to a small batch of them and the problem has been nonexistent since.

For under $400, they are definitely one of, if not the best buy out there right now.

No problem, I'm hearing nothing but good about them lately and for $400...I'm hoping to get one in the safe by the end of the year!

DaBurna
02-12-2012, 23:58
<====== bought a LNIB SW9VE as a budget gun (after I had already scratched my Glock itch) for $199! Black "Allied Forces Model" it's a keeper in that it's been 100%! No its not refined, but it WORKS!!! I think budget guns can fill a particular niche at the time depending on how u have your collection set up i.e. intended purpose.

86brick
02-13-2012, 00:22
EAA Zastava EZ9.

Fox
02-13-2012, 01:20
If you want affordable, go pawnshopping for a good, used gun. Prices are negotiable when you buy with cash.

infidel66687
02-13-2012, 01:31
http://youtu.be/fpQUeO4zGWc

NEOH212
02-13-2012, 01:50
Buy once Cry once.

Anything else will leave you wanting.

CajunBass
02-13-2012, 07:25
I've got a rather modest accumulation of classic Smith & Wesson revolvers and first generation S&W semi's.

I carry an early Charter Arms Undercover that I paid about half what a S&W "J" frame would have cost me for a nice used one. I don't care for this size gun normally, but acknowledge they're great for carry. The Charter works just fine. I'd rather spend my money on something else.

KarlThomas
02-13-2012, 07:58
There's a difference between "cheap" and "good value". You can buy a gun for $200 that has the quality of a $200 gun and it would be considered cheap. You can buy a gun for $200 that has similar qualities to guns in the $400 range and it would be considered a good value. You can buy guns of all kinds that work well for a very low price. For example rock island armory 1911s, ruger p-series pistols, and even a big favorite, the ruger 10/22.

L Pete
02-13-2012, 14:52
Gotta' go with the P95......great gun......not much money.

SCmasterblaster
02-13-2012, 15:17
for a budget, yet serviceable pistol. check out the local gunstores for ex-police pistols like G17s or G19s. As PDs upgrade to .40 S&W, they have to dispose of their G17/29s. There is certainly nothing wrong with slightly used G17s and G19s.