Savage Mark 2 .22LR Bolt Action at Walmart for $137- worth it? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Savage Mark 2 .22LR Bolt Action at Walmart for $137- worth it?

Airborne Infantryman
02-11-2012, 19:37
I'm in the market for a serviceable .22LR that won't break the bank. Just something to shoot cans with, and to kill small rodents if SHTF and I need to eat squirrels. :rofl:

It'll see most of its time just plinking soda cans, and whatever else I decide to shoot at my buddies home range.

My question - is this a decent .22LR plinker? Its $137 at my local Walmart. Is it easy to clean? Reliable? Not looking for insane rimfire accuracy. I have a precision 5.56mm SPR with a Trijicon 3-9x for that type of work. :wavey:

Road Dog
02-11-2012, 20:45
I have one I bought years ago at wally world. Two minor problems over the years. First one is every now and then it won't eject winchester bulk pack ammo. Maybe one out of 300 so its not bad.

The second problem the nub or ball of the bolt would unscrew off the bolt. I put some locktite on the threads and zero problems since then.

Its accurate for what it is, even with the cheap bulk stuff. I put a red dot on it but it made it so boring that I took it off.

RD

Cole125
02-11-2012, 21:02
Bro, save a little money and get a Ruger 10/22. Its simply the best .22 rifle you can get for the price. Very reliable, very accurate.

I have a Savage MKII also, but the 10/22 is better on many levels.

Airborne Infantryman
02-11-2012, 21:45
Bro, save a little money and get a Ruger 10/22. Its simply the best .22 rifle you can get for the price. Very reliable, very accurate.

I have a Savage MKII also, but the 10/22 is better on many levels.

I considered a 10/22, but don't want a semi-auto. I like the simplicity of a bolt-action. :cool:

NeverMore1701
02-12-2012, 01:15
Aren't you the guy who's bought several higher end rifles and shotguns over the last few months? I'm sure you can spring a little extra for a Ruger or CZ bolt .22 :tongueout:

Javelin
02-12-2012, 01:20
Heck even Savage is making a nice little .22 now. Even comes w/ the threaded barrel for your soon-to-be new .22LR suppressor that you are going to buy for it.
http://www.impactguns.com/savage-mark-ii-fv-sr-22lr-165in-threaded-barrel-silencer-ready-28702-062654287022.aspx

http://www.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/sav_28702.jpg
:wavey:

Javelin
02-12-2012, 01:21
I mean if we are going to spend the guys money we might as well outfit him with an uber cool fluted barrel rifle (in large turndown sniper-style bolt action configuration).

Just to be clear I would not recommend it if I didn't have it though....

:rofl:

nipperwolf
02-12-2012, 03:53
I spent the extra $60 and got the Accu-trigger version, well worth it IMHO.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/nippr/web/DHH_0776pw.jpg

I used to own a Savage 17HMR pre Accu, and the trigger was nasty. I found the above rifle for $165 on line, plus $30 for shipping, and FFL transfer. I bought it to teach my nephew's son about rifle shooting, but I've had fun shooting it as well. :supergrin:

CajunBass
02-12-2012, 04:49
If I wanted a cheap 22, I'd get one. If I didn't like it, I'd sell it, or trade it, and get something else. At worst I'd just keep it, call it a loss, and get something else.

It's not like you'll be chained to it for the rest of your life.

Airborne Infantryman
02-12-2012, 07:18
Aren't you the guy who's bought several higher end rifles and shotguns over the last few months? I'm sure you can spring a little extra for a Ruger or CZ bolt .22 :tongueout:

:supergrin: I have been spendy with the rifles and scatterguns......but I don't see myself using the .22LR for anything other than plinking. If SHTF, the LWRCs and Benelli are gonna be the extension of my boot up some zombie arse! :rofl:

Breadman03
02-12-2012, 07:26
I bought a Savage Mark II Accutrigger for my daughter. It's the bees knees! I'm sure there are better guns, but this thing is a tack driver.

Javelin
02-12-2012, 12:10
I bought a Savage Mark II Accutrigger for my daughter. It's the bees knees! I'm sure there are better guns, but this thing is a tack driver.

Nice. I have not had an opportunity to put my Savage Mark II w/ fluted threaded barrel through it's paces just yet. I think I have a whole... maybe 100 rounds through it.

Here are my thoughts on the tactical version:

Pros: Very light, accutrigger is an amazing invention and works well, seems to be pretty accurate (not yet bench/vise tested), solid bolt lock up, appears to be quality components for such a cheap .22LR, the barrel threading appears to be concentric to the rifling as I didn't have any baffle strikes in my .22LR suppressor.

Cons:
One issue I have noticed right off is that the rail is too high for the cheek weld on the stock. I purchased a mediocre Vortex variable power scope for it and will have to use scope rings and ditch the rail. The other big issue is that as much as I like that big turn down sniper bolt it does present a possible issue when mounting a scope as it could interfere with function of the bolt with lower scope rings.

Anyway, semantics really. It is not going to compete with my Anschutz 1913 but it definitely will serve a purpose as a plinker/small game gun.

40 0'Glock
02-12-2012, 17:27
I'd get it. I have a wood stocked mk2, standard trigger. It's a great plinker, and very accurate. Can't beat them for the money.

Gringo1956
02-15-2012, 18:34
Yup, get it, no questions. I got the same gun [no accu trigger back then] but, it shoots great and the accuracy is just fine.
Also have a stainless 10/22 but, can not remember the last time I took it to the range. Why? Because the 10/22 rotary magazine sucks on toast and, semi auto will have you wasting ammo all the time. No challenge there.
I am a bolt gun fan, plain and simple. My second Savage was a Model 12, 308 with a decent scope. I am putting all the bullets I want on a pizza size target at 600 yds.
Savage, great gun out of the box. 10/22, you will pay three times the money and suffer the frustration of trying to get it to run to your liking. In fact, if the wife did not like the Ruger, I would have sold it years ago.
Oh yeah, I paid $99 at Wally back in 2001 for mine.
To add: you can run CCI CBs and such in the bolt gun. Try that with the Ruger!

nipperwolf
02-15-2012, 18:46
:supergrin: I have been spendy with the rifles and scatterguns......but I don't see myself using the .22LR for anything other than plinking. If SHTF, the LWRCs and Benelli are gonna be the extension of my boot up some zombie arse! :rofl:

What did you decide on?

plp
02-12-2013, 10:58
Heck even Savage is making a nice little .22 now. Even comes w/ the threaded barrel for your soon-to-be new .22LR suppressor that you are going to buy for it.
http://www.impactguns.com/savage-mark-ii-fv-sr-22lr-165in-threaded-barrel-silencer-ready-28702-062654287022.aspx

I found this specific post and subject matter via internet search, and was motivated to register with this forum due to this specific rifle.

FWIW, I'm not a Glock guy, although the guy I work with is, which leads to many lively discussions along the same lines as Auburn/Alabama, Ford/Chevy, etc. I consider Glocks very well made, reliable, accurate pistols, just not my thing.

Anyway, back to the 'tactical' Savage Mark 2. I bought mine Saturday at a gun show, in my opinion the best value in the whole building. $269 out the door. Fluted bull barrel, accutrigger (PHENOMENAL low cost trigger, have mine set at about 2.5 lbs) picatinney scope mount and threaded barrel.

This is very similar to what I wanted to do to a 10-22, if one were ever to become available for sale again. My 10-22 is 35 years old and will remain in stock configuration, simply the finest iron sight weapon I own. I was looking at about 700 to 800 to set one up, and intended it to be a plinker for my wife.

The Savage is brand new, and after the neverending wait for the OK from Big Brother got it home and broken down for cleaning. It had been in inventory for quite some time, as the packing grease had congealed and was a pain to remove. Not quite Cosmoline pita, but pretty bad anyway.
I pulled a cheap Tasco 3x9x40 scope off another plinking rifle and set it up for the trip to the range Sunday.

The biggest part of getting everything ready was of course getting the scope dialed in. Someday I will value engineer the cost of lots of ammo by getting a bore sight laser, as the objective was to break in a new rifle just did it old school at 50', 100' and then at 300'. From first shot it was shooting very consistent groups, after 20 rounds had it bracketing the bullseye at 100 yards.

Then the real fun began. Let me tell you, this is a GREAT plinking rifle. The wife and I put about 250 rounds through it, swapping back and forth shooting 5 round series, and it became almost boring from a bench rest, had to spot for one another as so many of our groups were just a single blotch someone had to be watching for impact to confirm a round had in fact hit the target. We were shooting cheap Centurian 40 grain lead round nose (4.2 cents per round, ah, for the good old days) which is surprisingly good for the price.

I usually break in the new guns with CCI Mini Mag, but have very little of it left and am keeping it for actual hunting.

This is the second rifle from Savage with the accutrigger I own, the first being a model 93 in .17HMR. I bought it because the only ammo in stock in most stores seemed to be 17 HMR, bought the gun to fit the ammo available. It is scary accurate at 250 yards from a bench rest as long as the wind isn't bad.

The two stage trigger makes both weapons, as both are machine stamped parts with less than stellar attention to detail, had to stone a lot of rough edges on both of them right out of the box.

Now I love my Ruger 10-22's. I only own one, but have 3 more available to shoot that belong to friends, including a pimped out TI that has everything Tactical Innovations makes loaded on it, guy probably has over a grand tied up in a single plinking rifle. This under 300 dollar bolt action will hang with it at 100 yards, not a doubt in my mind. His trigger group probably cost more than the whole Savage long gun, both have fluted bull barrels, both have threaded barrels for flash arresters or suppressors (may have to consider that option if I want to buy the permit) and both have triggers in the 2-3 lb. range.

This Savage is simply the best value for options I've seen in a .22lr, with the possible exception of the S&W MP 15-22 back when they sold for under 500.00. As those days are gone, I highly recommend the Savage Mark 2.

FH Alum
02-13-2013, 19:14
Savage rimfires are like potato chips. You can't have only one.

The FVSR rocks once you ditch the Tupperware stock. Boyds wood with DIP bottom metal are the way to go. (These are the same vendors Savage uses for its higher end models)

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz354/beaverstaterich/023.jpg

oppi27
02-13-2013, 19:31
I've had one for 5 or so years. It taken quite a beaten. From riding on the quad box, to the back of the truck, to god only knows. Ive never had any issues with mine. If your looking for a good cheap 22, thats it.

I use mine for coon hunting, so I bought one that I didnt care how beat up it got.

Clem Eastwood
02-13-2013, 19:35
the problem i had with my savage was i was replacing my extractor clip spring every few bricks of ammo. i just found it annoying and sold the rifle. other than that i think youll like the accuracy of them. if you can stretch the budget i highly recommend a CZ 452, 453 or 455.

joecoastie
02-13-2013, 19:38
I just picked this MkII TR up this morning, I'm very impressed with the overall quality and the accuracy. I know it isn't the same model you were asking about but after seeing this one I wouldn't hesitate to pick up one of their less expensive versions if I wanted a good plinker bolt action.

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r579/Don_Sprick/20130213_154439_zps67a7d27c.jpg

JohnnyReb
02-13-2013, 19:39
I have the camo one. Accu trigger yes its worth it,

Clem Eastwood
02-13-2013, 19:41
Now I love my Ruger 10-22's. I only own one, but have 3 more available to shoot that belong to friends, including a pimped out TI that has everything Tactical Innovations makes loaded on it, guy probably has over a grand tied up in a single plinking rifle. This under 300 dollar bolt action will hang with it at 100 yards, not a doubt in my mind. His trigger group probably cost more than the whole Savage long gun, both have fluted bull barrels, both have threaded barrels for flash arresters or suppressors (may have to consider that option if I want to buy the permit) and both have triggers in the 2-3 lb. range.

i have $500 in my 10/22 and i would be really surprised to see an OOTB .22 savage hang with it at 100y, both rifles shooting ammo they like best. my savage mk1 fvt was good for 1/2" at 50y, my 10/22 shoots a little over 1/4" at 50y.

Also have a stainless 10/22 but, can not remember the last time I took it to the range. Why? Because the 10/22 rotary magazine sucks on toast and,

if you are having problems with ruger mag its probably because the follower isnt clocked correctly so it doesnt have enough spring tension. if you want to send it to me i will take it apart and see whats wrong with it, see if i can fix it and send it back to you. id be interested to know what type of problems you are having? generally on high round count rifles the biggest problem is the extractor and the bolt needing to be pinned to keep the FP down. i just freshened a good friend of mines late 70s 10/22 that probably had 50k rounds through it and had only been apart once for cleaning about 10 years ago. it was still running great even with the bolt stop pin missing, being so filthy and been shot so much the heat actually made the fouling into sludge all in the chamber and bolt. it was nasty and ran great. i didnt even have to replace the extractor after all those years.

as far as accuracy cheap .22 rifles are cheap .22 rifles, some shoot better than others. even the CZs which are close to $400. some shoot 1/4" groups at 50y and some shoot 1/2" groups at 50y. i didnt have the best experience with savage so ill stick to my 10/22, CZs and Anschutz.

joecoastie
02-13-2013, 20:02
i have $500 in my 10/22 and i would be really surprised to see an OOTB .22 savage hang with it at 100y, both rifles shooting ammo they like best. my savage mk1 fvt was good for 1/2" at 50y, my 10/22 shoots a little over 1/4" at 50y.

I also have a 10/22 that I have customized a fair amount, once all this ammo buying craze settles down I look forward to getting some quality target ammo and seeing how my Savage and Ruger compare.

railfancwb
02-13-2013, 20:25

Just got one of those. Be awhile before my cash flow will allow a silencer and the tax though. Has the AccuTrigger.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

WoodenPlank
02-13-2013, 20:29

I'm wondering if the people in this thread that just got FV-SRs just got the only 2 made in the last 5 months. Those things seem to be nearly impossible to find.

nipperwolf
02-14-2013, 17:16
I spent the extra $60 and got the Accu-trigger version, well worth it IMHO.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/nippr/web/DHH_0776pw.jpg

I used to own a Savage 17HMR pre Accu, and the trigger was nasty. I found the above rifle for $165 on line, plus $30 for shipping, and FFL transfer. I bought it to teach my nephew's son about rifle shooting, but I've had fun shooting it as well. :supergrin:

I sold that rifle last year, and upgraded to the FV-SR;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/nippr/web/IMAG0065w_zps9b061b2d.jpg

It is a tackdriver.

:supergrin:

EDITED TO ADD;

Like most, it does better with standard velicoty, rather than the HV.

I shoot mostly with the CCI SV, $3/50. But the best groups were with the Federal Ultra match $15/50. :shocked:

JohnnyReb
02-14-2013, 17:45
I've had one for 5 or so years. It taken quite a beaten. From riding on the quad box, to the back of the truck, to god only knows. Ive never had any issues with mine. If your looking for a good cheap 22, thats it.

I use mine for coon hunting, so I bought one that I didnt care how beat up it got.

What kind of dogs do you use?

oppi27
02-14-2013, 17:57
What kind of dogs do you use?

used to be a walker guy back in the day, im only down to a few dogs now..

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd474/mmiller4022/DSCN0064-1.jpg

JohnnyReb
02-14-2013, 18:33
used to be a walker guy back in the day, im only down to a few dogs now..

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd474/mmiller4022/DSCN0064-1.jpg

That B&T got tore up!!!

I got my Bluetick at Autumn oaks last year.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8015/20130102095012473.jpg

oppi27
02-14-2013, 18:42
I got one of them to, but I dont think shes going to make it. Wide open till she hits a tree. Totally silent tree dog. She will stay there all night, but she wont bark. Good looking dog you got there. I was hunting them both this night.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd474/mmiller4022/DSCN0063-1.jpg

JohnnyReb
02-14-2013, 18:52
I got one of them to, but I dont think shes going to make it. Wide open till she hits a tree. Totally silent tree dog. She will stay there all night, but she wont bark. Good looking dog you got there. I was hunting them both this night.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd474/mmiller4022/DSCN0063-1.jpg

Thank you.

I'm so glad we don't have porcupines here.

Too early to tell if mine will make a decent hunting dog. Right now she is being spoiled to death inside. My goal is to have a good house dog and a decent coon dog. We will see how that turns out, this is my first coonhound of my own. I did a lot of hunting with some buddies, but they are all walker guys.

Will your blue dog bark on a caged coon? How old is she?

KalashniKEV
02-15-2013, 07:29
Will your blue dog bark on a caged coon? How old is she?

Who cares?

+1 on the FVSR.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/IMG_1559.jpg

Sounds pretty good w/ a 9mm can too.

gnepig
02-15-2013, 15:37
I have one of the $137 Savages and it shoots great! We shoot the CB shorts out in the back yard with it, but you can only stack 5 rounds of the shorts in the mag = if you stack more it won't cycle correctly.
It's a nice rifle for the money.

Oh yeah, it shoots way better groups than the Ruger 10/22 that we had owned.
$137 Savage =1 inch groups @ 60 yards
$260 10/22 = 6 inch groups @ 60 yards no matter what ammo we tried...

nipperwolf
02-15-2013, 19:15

You need to start a seperate thread about that. That gun has SERIOUS issues. ;) Its the only 10/22 in the world that has that trait. :supergrin:

Clem Eastwood
02-15-2013, 19:48
I have one of the $137 Savages and it shoots great! We shoot the CB shorts out in the back yard with it, but you can only stack 5 rounds of the shorts in the mag = if you stack more it won't cycle correctly.
It's a nice rifle for the money.

Oh yeah, it shoots way better groups than the Ruger 10/22 that we had owned.
$137 Savage =1 inch groups @ 60 yards

i had one that did 3" groups at 25y. i had it rechambered and crowned and it turned into a 1/4" at 25y rifle. ruger puts out some turds, but they are easily fixed.

railfancwb
02-22-2013, 04:48
i had one that did 3" groups at 25y. i had it rechambered and crowned and it turned into a 1/4" at 25y rifle. ruger puts out some turds, but they are easily fixed.

Was it the Ruger or the Savage that you had this work done on? How much - if any - had to be trimmed off the chamber end to allow rechambering? Now I know why most shorter rifle barrels are 16-1/2".

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

plp
02-24-2013, 00:12
I'm wondering if the people in this thread that just got FV-SRs just got the only 2 made in the last 5 months. Those things seem to be nearly impossible to find.

Yes......, yes we did.

Absolutely NOT what I was looking for, very much wanted a stock 10/22. I was planing on tricking it out for the wife, so she would have a solid, reliable target rifle. The Savage has actually worked out better, being a 5 round bolt action has slowed down the wife on .22lr consumption. She can easily eat through 400 rounds with her SR-22 and my 10-22 in 4 hours, the bolt action has both improved her accuracy and at the same time reduced her ammo rate of fire.

And I don't even have to sleep on the couch......win/win all the way.