Big cities big trouble [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Big cities big trouble

Angel
02-11-2012, 21:08
I am in south Florida visiting family and an amazed at the crowded streets and expressways on a Saturday morning. I stopped at a Walmart to pick up a few things. The store was filled with people who looked unprepared for the day much less for a crisis. My first thought was what a nightmare if an event happened that affected this heavily populated area. My mind flashed to huge mob scene fighting for food and water begging for the government to do something. I thought "they have us right where they want us". Crowded in huge urban areas, used to just in time food purchases, soft and unprepared. This crowd would quickly give up anything for the government to come and fix a crisis. In fact because of prior crisis like Katrina we have demanded that the federal government be prepared to come in and take over. It really scared me for a minute.

Bolster
02-11-2012, 21:59
Agreed. Ever notice the correlation between metropolis and liberalism? Big cities crave big government. I live in LA; you've never seen people less prepared for anything. Heck, it RAINS here and people are panicking and driving off the road. Most everyone I know uses the local grocery store as their pantry, or just goes to restaurants.

It's an odd juxtaposition: While on the one hand people in large cities are terribly unprepared, at the same time there are massive amounts of food, material, plants, machinery, storage of chemicals, etc, in big cities. I think running out of water is the major danger for my city. But yeah, if a big emergency hits, it's gonna be really, really ugly.

Lone Kimono
02-11-2012, 22:08
I'll never forget being at a crowded K-Mart in Marathon 24 hour before Andrew came through. My family was on vacation and on our way up to Orlando. It was nothing but empty shelves and panic.

UneasyRider
02-12-2012, 06:39
This is hurricane country and almost everyone is prepared in some fashion. We have gotten a lot worse than Katrina here many times but we don't just stand around waiting for someone to come and get us out of the way or put food in our mouths, nor did we ever ask FEMA for anything but their checkbook after it was over.

Practice makes perfect right? We have a lot of it. Our grocery stores and gas stations have full backup generators, gas resupply moves from the port in Miami to refill the stations that get drained in a bug out, we can open both highway lanes to north bound traffic flow starting with the southern counties then moving north.

I live in central Florida but I want to speak up for my state and tell you that we are prepared as people, local government and state government more than any other area because of constant need. Katrina actually hit Florida unlike New Orleans and we made it through fine (watch out for the clean up - that's what kills you), so please don't catagorize us with that nightmare because we are the most prepared state.

Aceman
02-12-2012, 07:19
oh man...

Dude, I *might* go to Walmart right now in my slippers and pajama bottoms. But that's a bold assumption that I'm not prepared. Should I wear my vest perhaps?

MOST people are not prepared EVERYWHERE.

And as for the liberal/conservative, dems/repub thing - I'm sick to death of that. Here is a tip OP: They are ALL government. Gov grows under Dems. It grows under Repubs. It may grow more under one than the other - but let's get this one thing clear: THEY ARE ALL THE GUBMENT. So they will grow.

As for the city folk, another deep insight beyond your very surface analysis. One of the hallmarks of ANY city, anywhere in the world is that it is too many people, too crowded, too stressed and...too SELFISH and SELF-FOCUSSED to worry about such things. They are there primarily for fame, fortune, and entertainment.

Get real - do you SERIOUSLY think there are rooms of guys going "Yeah - let's get the people to become dependent on these programs. It will be easy in the cities, so let's start there!" There is no money in that.

I think you need to take about 20 steps back, and look at the big picture. Just my opinion. I could be wrong. But I am not bought into a philosophy at the expense of seeing what is real and what is dogma/rhetoric, wherever it comes from.

Aceman
02-12-2012, 07:21
Agreed. Ever notice the correlation between metropolis and liberalism? Big cities crave big government. I live in LA; you've never seen people less prepared for anything. Heck, it RAINS here and people are panicking and driving off the road. Most everyone I know uses the local grocery store as their pantry, or just goes to restaurants.

It's an odd juxtaposition: While on the one hand people in large cities are terribly unprepared, at the same time there are massive amounts of food, material, plants, machinery, storage of chemicals, etc, in big cities. I think running out of water is the major danger for my city. But yeah, if a big emergency hits, it's gonna be really, really ugly.

No big city has even close to the materials needed to support the population in an emergency. How many square acres and how much water does it take to support a person? How many PEOPLE PER ACRE are there in a city.

As I become more urban, my need for prepping becomes significantly greater. Weapons for SD/HD become a much higher priority.

pugman
02-14-2012, 12:40

Well, to their plight large cities need larger governments.

Road Construction, police and fire departments, sanitation, water. Can you imagine if everyone living in LA was responsible for getting their own water?

There definitely are areas of city government which these governments should just give up to the private sector. The Milwaukee Public School System boosts a 43% high school grad rate...I think we can call that little experiment a failure.

Dexters
02-14-2012, 15:13
I am in south Florida visiting family and an amazed at the crowded streets and expressways on a Saturday morning. I stopped at a Walmart to pick up a few things. The store was filled with people who looked unprepared for the day much less for a crisis. My first thought was what a nightmare if an event happened that affected this heavily populated area. My mind flashed to huge mob scene fighting for food and water begging for the government to do something. I thought "they have us right where they want us". Crowded in huge urban areas, used to just in time food purchases, soft and unprepared. This crowd would quickly give up anything for the government to come and fix a crisis. In fact because of prior crisis like Katrina we have demanded that the federal government be prepared to come in and take over. It really scared me for a minute.

Those people were came in from the countryside to do their shopping. What you describe will happen everywhere.

Angel
02-16-2012, 16:37
oh man...

Dude, I *might* go to Walmart right now in my slippers and pajama bottoms. But that's a bold assumption that I'm not prepared. Should I wear my vest perhaps?

MOST people are not prepared EVERYWHERE.

And as for the liberal/conservative, dems/repub thing - I'm sick to death of that. Here is a tip OP: They are ALL government. Gov grows under Dems. It grows under Repubs. It may grow more under one than the other - but let's get this one thing clear: THEY ARE ALL THE GUBMENT. So they will grow.

As for the city folk, another deep insight beyond your very surface analysis. One of the hallmarks of ANY city, anywhere in the world is that it is too many people, too crowded, too stressed and...too SELFISH and SELF-FOCUSSED to worry about such things. They are there primarily for fame, fortune, and entertainment.

Get real - do you SERIOUSLY think there are rooms of guys going "Yeah - let's get the people to become dependent on these programs. It will be easy in the cities, so let's start there!" There is no money in that.

I think you need to take about 20 steps back, and look at the big picture. Just my opinion. I could be wrong. But I am not bought into a philosophy at the expense of seeing what is real and what is dogma/rhetoric, wherever it comes from.

Yes I do. One of the hallmarks of the progressive movement is to move people into urban concentrated areas. That is why the federal government owns so much of the west and midwest. 100 yrs ago we gave 160 acres to anyone who claimed it in the west. Since them we have been forcing people in the west to sell under eminent domain to create more national parks. I am sorry I touched a nerve with the way you dress to go to walmart but dress was not my primary consideration when i commented that people do not look prepared. So I wasnt talking about you. I don't even know you, but could, because I live in Tampa too, where people look like they are in much better shape dude.