1911 LW Commander 1951 model redo-Chime In Please- [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 LW Commander 1951 model redo-Chime In Please-

I like black
02-12-2012, 01:56
My friend has this and wants some input on the redo.

I suggested stock looking with new sights and trigger.

Nickel plate ?

Toss out your ideas please.

ILB

MStarmer
02-12-2012, 03:18
Harrison Custom, with S&W adjustables.

fnfalman
02-12-2012, 04:14
I would suggest to the friend to leave the gun as-is and not chopping anything off.

Get rid of the cumbersome Pachmayr grips for a proper set of wooden grips.

That gun is an oldie but goodie.

faawrenchbndr
02-12-2012, 07:21
Trigger can be changed easily.
Harrison makes a good set of "retro" sights.
Loose the grips.
Replace the grip safety with a stainless one.
Same with the slide stop lever.

I like black
02-12-2012, 10:26
Yea it is an oldie but a goodie built in 1951, a LW Commander 9mm.

Thanks for the ideas.

My lady friend wants if for EDC, it took awhile to find one.

I also heard that you can switch it over to .38 super too?

The slide has some wear on it but since it's going to be a EDC I wonder if it's worth messing with it?

What 10 round mags are the best and where do you buy them?

Thanks

ILB

pezzulli
02-13-2012, 09:12
I sent my 1951 Colt Commander to Ted Yost at Heirloom Precision for his Retro Package. He did a fantastic job!

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb266/pezzulli/1951LWCommander002.jpg

HTH,
John

Mayhem like Me
02-13-2012, 09:59
I would put some nice High viz sights on it like a Gold bead front and Kings style rear..

Put on some nice grips, have a better beavertail and safety fitted and carry it everyday.

I like black
02-13-2012, 09:59
Very nice,

What cal is it and how does it shoot?

How long did it take and about how much if you don't mind saying?

Thanks for the info and the photo !

ILB

I sent my 1951 Colt Commander to Ted Yost at Heirloom Precision for his Retro Package. He did a fantastic job!

HTH,
John

pezzulli
02-13-2012, 11:00
Very nice,

What cal is it and how does it shoot?

How long did it take and about how much if you don't mind saying?

Thanks for the info and the photo !

ILB

The pistol is 45 ACP. It took approximately 1 1/2 - 2 years from the time I put my name on the waiting list to the time that I received the pistol. However, only a month to a month and a half from the time I was told that my turn has comeup and I sent the pistol to them, to the time the work was completed and I received the pistol. Current pricing is on the Heirloom Precision Website.

BTW, both Ted and Jason Burton are great to work with and easy to discuss your "wants" with.

HTH,
John

dakota1911
02-13-2012, 13:21
Colt introduced the Commander in 1949, but almost none were made. So a 1951, if that is what it really is would be interesting except for the different trigger and thumb safety. Also remember that in those days all Commanders had Aluminum Allow frames till 1970 when the Combat Commander was introduced. Triggers and thumb safeties are not trivial to change. The different grips and what I think is a flgr or full length guide rod would be sort of trivial to change.

The first thing I would do is call Colt on their 800 number (coltsmfg.com I think) and find out the year the frame was made, or are you sure it is a 1951 frame. Next I would shoot it a little and see how it shoots. If there are any cracks or burps in shooting a little then take it to a gunsmith. If it shoots O.K. then I would enjoy it.

I like black
02-14-2012, 00:27
Thanks for the replies!

From what I have researched it is a 1951 made Commander with a very low 6000 LW serial #.

It seems to be all stock, shot very little and has some carry wear.

I saw a similar full size from the same year and it had the same grips which the owner said were stock so I am thinking that the grips on this LW Commander are stock possibly ?

I can't wait to strip, clean and shoot it !

Can someone offer up some input on the best mags to use and where to find them?

Thanks again!

ILB

Mayhem like Me
02-14-2012, 08:26
for mags, Cobra Tripp or Wilson,,,

ca survivor
02-14-2012, 12:25
I would suggest to the friend to leave the gun as-is and not chopping anything off.

What he said + 2

MStarmer
02-14-2012, 14:06
Midway has CMC power mags for $20 for the blue and $22ish for stainless.

DrtyHarry
02-14-2012, 14:57
Ted does some amazing work!!

Harry

jrs93accord
02-14-2012, 16:59

I totally agree. A colt of that age and still looking to be in nice shape, I would leave alone and just put some nice double-checkered wood grips w/ the Colt medallion. That is a classic Colt pistol that I would be proud to own.

Line Rider
02-14-2012, 17:41
Sights and trigger job and carry it.

Great looking gun.

Feanor
02-14-2012, 19:14

HTH,
John

I would literally kill for that Colt!

I like black
02-15-2012, 01:05
Thanks for all the input guys and the kind words !

I totally agree that Pezzulli's Colt is incredible ! Thanks for taking the time to post it up !

A super fine piece of work and it would be nice to see a you tube of it in action.... hint =)

One of the things that if find fairly awesome about the Colt I pictured is that in 1951 it must of been a huge leap forward with the color combos of black and silver, alloy frame combined with the Pachmeyer grips, etc... and in a 9mm Luger.

I ponder that engineering fashion statement and think wow that was extremely unique , bold and very stylish for the era...

Again thanks for the input, ideas and help.

ILB

I like black
02-20-2012, 08:36
Update:

Wow is this pistol fun to shoot !

Runs fantastic and is very accurate, or at least more accurate than I am.

Cheap to feed too with wally world federal 9mm @ $19.95 per 100 :supergrin:

My Lady friend is very happy with the Colt, it's perfect for her in the nine.

I think I am going to have to look around for one for me now...

ILB

fnfalman
02-20-2012, 10:12
Update:

Wow is this pistol fun to shoot !

Runs fantastic and is very accurate, or at least more accurate than I am.

Cheap to feed too with wally world federal 9mm @ $19.95 per 100 :supergrin:

My Lady friend is very happy with the Colt, it's perfect for her in the nine.

I think I am going to have to look around for one for me now...

ILB

I've been a naysayer of M1911 in 9mm for ages. Then last year I bought a Colt Combat Commander 9mm just for a lark and that mutha is the best shooting Colt I've got. Even more accurate than the .38 Super ones.

It also eats Tula ammo like there's no tomorrow. The supposedly "bad" Russian ammo that even jams HKs and Glocks.:rofl:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/Colt%20Combat%20Commander/CombatCommanderTulaAmmo.jpg

Jim Watson
02-20-2012, 23:22
One of the things that if find fairly awesome about the Colt I pictured is that in 1951 it must of been a huge leap forward with the color combos of black and silver, alloy frame combined with the Pachmeyer grips, etc... and in a 9mm Luger.

I ponder that engineering fashion statement and think wow that was extremely unique , bold and very stylish for the era...

The problem is, that is not a "leap forward"... "for the era."
Commanders of the era came with black anodized receivers, brown plastic grips, short blue triggers, and regular post-war "teardrop" thumb safeties. The illustrated pistol has had those parts changed out and the black anodizing stripped off the aluminum receiver and mainspring housing.

The trick was to QUICKLY dip the receiver in a solution of Drano. A short exposure to the sodium hydroxide in drain cleaner would strip the black anodizing right off. A longer exposure would simply dissove the part so you had to be careful. A coworker did it to his with the results shown.
How much wear protection went down the drain with the anodizing? Some, I am sure, naked aluminum is pretty soft.

Goldendog Redux
02-20-2012, 23:37
My friend has this and wants some input on the redo.

I suggested stock looking with new sights and trigger.

Nickel plate ?

Toss out your ideas please.

ILB

Make sure it runs and carry it. I carry bone stock lightweight commander, except for the grip safety. I discussed sexy-ing it up with a couple fairly well known 'smiths and decided to leave it alone because it would get to dang expensive to make it pretty. Yeah the sights suck but, I always qualify with it and it is combat accurate.

MF

I like black
02-21-2012, 11:25
Commanders of the era came with black anodized receivers, brown plastic grips, short blue triggers, and regular post-war "teardrop" thumb safeties. The illustrated pistol has had those parts changed out and the black anodizing stripped off the aluminum receiver and mainspring housing.

The trick was to QUICKLY dip the receiver in a solution of Drano. A short exposure to the sodium hydroxide in drain cleaner would strip the black anodizing right off. A longer exposure would simply dissove the part so you had to be careful. A coworker did it to his with the results shown.
How much wear protection went down the drain with the anodizing? Some, I am sure, naked aluminum is pretty soft.

You may be correct in your assumption that it has been worked on and that the lower was indeed blued or anodized? I have seen a photo of a LW Commander that was claimed to be be stock with the box and it looked exactly like the one I pictured complete with the same grips so that makes me wonder a bit about the history. I have also seen the all dark blue/ black models with the features you mentioned.

Make sure it runs and carry it. I carry bone stock lightweight commander, except for the grip safety. I discussed sexy-ing it up with a couple fairly well known 'smiths and decided to leave it alone because it would get to dang expensive to make it pretty. Yeah the sights suck but, I always qualify with it and it is combat accurate.

It runs really well, however the POI and the POA don't match up exactly and I may need to swap out the front sight with a taller one after I run some HD ammo to double check the POI once more.

I was shopping for one over at Dawson precision and it looks like I will need a .100 wide, .170 tall with a medium .085 Tenon.

Can any one confirm that the front sight Tenon is .085 ? I measured it by holding my calipers next to the Tenon in the slide but it is not super clear.

Thanks again all

ILB
MF

I like black
02-21-2012, 11:27

You may be correct in your assumption that it has been worked on and that the lower was indeed blued or anodized? I have seen a photo of a LW Commander that was claimed to be be stock with the box and it looked exactly like the one I pictured complete with the same grips so that makes me wonder a bit about the history. I have also seen the all dark blue/ black models with the features you mentioned.

It runs really well, however the POI and the POA don't match up exactly and I may need to swap out the front sight with a taller one after I run some HD ammo to double check the POI once more.

I was shopping for one over at Dawson precision and it looks like I will need a .100 wide, .170 tall with a medium .085 Tenon.

Can any one confirm that the front sight Tenon is .085 ? I measured it by holding my calipers next to the Tenon in the slide but it is not super clear.

Thanks again all

ILB
MF[/QUOTE]

Jim Watson
02-21-2012, 12:01
I think you are measuring the riveted out end of the sight tenon.

The .085" "medium tenon" staked front sight is a Springfield Armory, Inc. mutation.

Older Colts have narrow tenons down around .050-.060", later ones are .125" wide tenons.

Oh, by the way, do you have the necessary tools to stake down a new front sight?
You might do better to pay Dawson the $35 to put it on for you. I know I would... if I did not have a local shop that does it for $25.

I like black
02-21-2012, 12:32
I think you are measuring the riveted out end of the sight tenon.

The .085" "medium tenon" staked front sight is a Springfield Armory, Inc. mutation.

Older Colts have narrow tenons down around .050-.060", later ones are .125" wide tenons.

Oh, by the way, do you have the necessary tools to stake down a new front sight?
You might do better to pay Dawson the $35 to put it on for you. I know I would... if I did not have a local shop that does it for $25.

They list three sizes of Tenon:

1).062- narrow-

2).0.85- medium-

3).125- wide-

I can tell that the sight is either a .062 or a .085 although my measurement looks to be the .085 size. I'll let you know when I remove the sight if I need to.

I first need to determine if the POI with the HD ammo does not match the POA then I will swap out the site with a front site staking tool.

Thanks

ILB

michael t
02-24-2012, 15:06
That pistol has been worked over I have a 1951 serial 62XX 9mm its all blue not a 2 tone Put back as came from factory and ruin a newer one .

I like black
02-25-2012, 00:38

MStarmer
02-25-2012, 17:02
I wish I find a good old Colt like that! I would do at least a few things if it were mine or if the wife was going to carry I it.

1) Do a complete detail strip to check and clean all components, then a complete spring change out (factory weights) to ensure reliability.

2) I would mark any mags that were obtained with pistol as range mags and buy a few new high quality ones and test for function for carry.

3) As far as sights go, figure out where it is shooting at a given distance and send the slide to Novak's (they can help figure the correct height for any given rear) have Novak's put a new front on and add a retro 10-8 rear or Harrison rear to still maintain the classic look of the pistol but still have an adequate sight picture.

4) Safety check and function check everything carefully and make sure no one has hacked anything up that may need to be replaced. Also if the anodizing has been stripped from the lower you may want to consider over time having the pistol refinished.

I like black
02-25-2012, 18:10
Thanks for the reply, kind comments and advice!

I did strip, clean and lube the Colt.

Just received some Wilson 10 round mags that are quite a bit better than the stock mag the pistol came with, so you were exactly correct about the mag advice.

Regarding the sights there is a math formula that gives the correct poi vs the poa that you may find interesting and it's located here

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/images/Instructions/FrontSightHeight.pdf

It looks like if I install a .170 mil spec front I will cure the the 8" high shot with the stock .110 front sight.

Thanks again !

ILB

I wish I find a good old Colt like that! I would do at least a few things if it were mine or if the wife was going to carry I it.

1) Do a complete detail strip to check and clean all components, then a complete spring change out (factory weights) to ensure reliability.

2) I would mark any mags that were obtained with pistol as range mags and buy a few new high quality ones and test for function for carry.

3) As far as sights go, figure out where it is shooting at a given distance and send the slide to Novak's (they can help figure the correct height for any given rear) have Novak's put a new front on and add a retro 10-8 rear or Harrison rear to still maintain the classic look of the pistol but still have an adequate sight picture.

4) Safety check and function check everything carefully and make sure no one has hacked anything up that may need to be replaced. Also if the anodizing has been stripped from the lower you may want to consider over time having the pistol refinished.

MStarmer
02-26-2012, 00:06
Used the dawson link many times, almost every pistol I've owned shoots high for me. I almost always need one .010-.015 higher.

I like black
02-26-2012, 10:28