switch from wheel gun snub to semi auto pistol need some advise [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : switch from wheel gun snub to semi auto pistol need some advise

pat701
02-12-2012, 10:24
I am a retired Chicago police officer. I have always carried wheel guns for 34 years. Right now i carry a S/W mod#64 2" barrel six shot 38 spl+P. I would like to switch over to a semi auto in 9mm for carry. I would like a full sized grip so i can shoot with all 4 fingers and not get bit by the slide while firing. In 34 yrs i have never needed to have to display my mod# 64 here in Chicago off duty or retired. So i hope and pray i won't need it in the future. I am looking to spend about $500 and i feel as 10 rounds is fine for me, as i never needed my 6 rounds. I like the idea of DA/SA with a decocker, i think that would me me feel the must confident to carry with a round in the chamber. But i am very open to other options of different types of semi autos. I carry inside the pants, in front of me on right side i am right handed. Please help this old law dog make some choices as to what is should look at at a gun store. I have arthritis in my hands so recoil is also a factor thats why i am looking at 9MM. The Sig SP2022 has caught my eye. I have fired XD's and am not crazy about the striker fired semi autos. Buy i can read and learn about DAO and DAK. I did learn and qualify with a colt 45 acp when i was on the job. Please point me in the right direction as to what to rent at the gun shop.

HeliGlock
02-12-2012, 10:33
Congrats on your Retirement. I would go for the 9mm in a Sig or Glock, very low Recoil and Comfortable in the Hand. I too have arthritis in both hands, worse in my right. just my 2 cents. Good Luck Pat701.

Dave.1
02-12-2012, 10:37
I made the switch from revolvers to auto in 2008. Still like the double action pull though.

If you don't mind going used you can get a S&W 3rd Generation 5906 DA/SA for $300 at CDNN. They have a decocker/safety.
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/
Picture
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/173261-5906-sw99-sale-cdnn-sports.html

It's a 15 round magazine and all stainless and a little on the heavy side but not bad if you're used to carrying a revolver. They can probably be found locally for a little more money.

Dave

Fastbear
02-12-2012, 10:40
Lots of options in the 9mm arena, but for reasonable price check into the Glock 19 for a comfortable, reliable gun to carry. I am qualified to carry the Glock 21, 30 and 19. You may elect to go to a rental range and try shooting different guns for your comfort level. I started out carrying the Colt 1911 and later switched to the Glocks. Depending on the job requirements the 19 gets carried more often than not.

barth
02-12-2012, 10:42
Congrats on your Retirement. I would go for the 9mm in a Sig or Glock, very low Recoil and Comfortable in the Hand. I too have arthritis in both hands, worse in my right. just my 2 cents. Good Luck Pat701.

+1 on that.
Sig / Glock are both great.
Sig has a DAK Double Action Kellerman that's something like a revolver.
I have a P239/357 DA/SA that's totally sweet.
Has no recoil with 357, so 9mm would have to be a kitty cat to shoot.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo36/3b/c7/d35bf19ef4d6__1322778218000.jpg

In Glock a G19 with a EOM "-" connector and an NY1 spring is suppose to be
very revolver like.

H&K P2000SK is very nice too.
The enhanced LEM/CDA trigger system combines the reliability of a double-action revolver trigger with the crisp, precise trigger of a single-action pistol.
http://mactec-militaryarms.com/801b_hkp2000sk.jpg

Personally, If I was in the market for a 9mm, full grip, SD gun?
I'd take a hard look at Walthers new PPQ.
(although the 5lbs short reset trigger may be more my speed than yours - LOL)
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/walther_ppq-tfb.jpg

Best advise is make a short list, go to a range and rent/borrow some guns.
Only you can tell if you favor the ergonomics.

HexHead
02-12-2012, 10:45
Glock 19, and put the NY1 trigger spring in it. If you were comfortable carrying a revolver, it will feel very much the same to you. The lighter weigh of the polymer frame will offset much of the extra ammo weight. Trigger will feel very revolver like. You won't need a de-cocker since you didn't mind carrying your revolver with one in the chamber.

I doubt you'll find a rental one with a NY trigger in it. Know any NYC cops?

B-One
02-12-2012, 10:45
These days I seem to be going the opposite direction that you are moving. I'd be happy and comfortable with the model 64. That said, there is nothing wrong with any of the 9mm's that you mentioned, as well as others. Try a bunch if you can and get one that feels good.

I've carried a Glock 19 for 20+ years, but must admit to having a real deep emotional attachment to revolvers. Despite the fact that the Glock fits me reasonably well, is lighter than my GP, holds two and a half times the amount of ammo that is arguably as effective, I find myself carrying a revolver more and more lately. While the Glock feels fine, a revolver with the right stock just feels better.

I am interested in why would you like to change after 34 years? Realize that "just because" is a more than acceptable answer.

kahrcarrier
02-12-2012, 10:52
Deleted

ca survivor
02-12-2012, 10:54
H&K P2000SK is very nice too.

http://mactec-militaryarms.com/801b_hkp2000sk.jpg (http://mactec-militaryarms.com/801b_hkp2000sk.jpg)

this will be my choice...in DA/SA

Jim S.
02-12-2012, 11:30
In my opinion the Glocks are perfect transitions from revolvers to semi autos.
It basically requires no real learning process because it is simply a gun that you pull the trigger on when you want to shoot it.
Just like a revolver.
No external controls to learn.
Simple, and yet reliable. Just like a revolver.

Bruce M
02-12-2012, 11:52
If you really want a decocker then the Sig P239 may be a nice choice. If you can get comfortable without the decocker then the $398 Glock 19 is almost certainly going to be the most cost effective choice among anything that is accepted by various agencies. And a Smith and Wesson M&P probably should be considered also and is available with a safety.

pat701
02-12-2012, 12:04
I "hope" to sell my home in the city and move to Tenn, or Arkansas. My wife has shown interest in getting a CCW where ever we move. I was going to give her the S/W 64. My son is a U.S. Border Patrol agent. And rides me about a wheel gun. But i am 57 and getting older and i know how the old and young are easy targets for the thugs to victimize. Don't get me wrong i gave my son a Sig P220ST (because he is my kid and can shot it for years to come) it was a made in Germany lower. I also gave him an XD40 sub compact (to much recoil, and the slide cut the crap out of the web of my hand.) but i did feel comfortable with the decocker on the P220ST.
I tried to make the transition to semi auto but gave up. Maybe i am bored and need a new toy, who knows. I have got a lot of recommendations for the Glock 19 i will definitely try that one out on a rental.

barth
02-12-2012, 12:12
I "hope" to sell my home in the city and move to Tenn, or Arkansas. My wife has shown interest in getting a CCW where ever we move. I was going to give her the S/W 64. My son is a U.S. Border Patrol agent. And rides me about a wheel gun. But i am 57 and getting older and i know how the old and young are easy targets for the thugs to victimize. Don't get me wrong i gave my son a Sig P220ST (because he is my kid and can shot it for years to come) it was a made in Germany lower. I also gave him an XD40 sub compact (to much recoil, and the slide cut the crap out of the web of my hand.) but i did feel comfortable with the decocker on the P220ST.
I tried to make the transition to semi auto but gave up. Maybe i am bored and need a new toy, who knows. I have got a lot of recommendations for the Glock 19 i will definitely try that one out on a rental.

I'm turning 55 in days and don't buy any of that stuff for a second - LOL.
7 handguns (3 revolvers and 4 autos) and 20+ years of CC experience.
DA/SA, DAO, Striker, 1911 - whatever...

I carry a G27 with Storm Lake Barrel and Ghost Rocket 3.5 short reset connector most often these days.
But that's just me...

Nestor
02-12-2012, 12:18
If You are looking for the easy transition from the S&W trigger to S&W trigger...like take a look at SIG DAK pistols and SIG P250 as well. Stock Glock trigger is not similar at all to the quality wheelgun.

barth
02-12-2012, 12:26
If You are looking for the easy transition from the S&W trigger to S&W trigger...like take a look at SIG DAK pistols and SIG P250 as well. Stock Glock trigger is not similar at all to the quality wheelgun.

I really think a stainless/alloy P239/9mm DAK is the ultimate choice.
Superior to a P250 IMHO

mastrbloata
02-12-2012, 12:29
Maybe try the Ruger SR9c. It's got a 3" barrel but you can have the full size handle you want. This is a striker fired gun but it does have a slide safety.

Lampshade
02-12-2012, 12:37
In my opinion the Glocks are perfect transitions from revolvers to semi autos.
It basically requires no real learning process because it is simply a gun that you pull the trigger on when you want to shoot it.
Just like a revolver.
No external controls to learn.
Simple, and yet reliable. Just like a revolver.

I agree that a DAO with no external controls is a good means of transition.

OP, check out the Sig P250... hammer fired, DAO, with a long but very smooth pull. There are also the striker fired DAO Kahr pistols, which also have a similar trigger despite being striker fired.

Kaybe
02-12-2012, 12:38
Thank you for your service and congrats on the retirement. Hard to say which would be best for you. Alot of good guns out there. If you can, go to a gun store and feel up a bunch of guns. Feeling is free. Find out what is comfortable for you. Some places, you can rent and try them out. Do that if you can. Stick with the major brands-HK, Glock, S &W, Ruger, Springfield Armory and so on. It will be worth the research before you put your hard earned money down.

craig19
02-12-2012, 12:56
Congrats on the retirement. You would qualify for Glock's first responder program. That's how I got my two Glocks. I think the 19 was $418 OTD with three mags. I would really recommend getting a 19, the grip is a good size, and you have 15+1 capacity.

Someone above mentioned a 5906, those are great guns, a little heavy, and its a full size. I carry mine on occasion, but in an OWB hoslter, and only when I have a large jacket to wear over it. You could also look at the 6906, its close in size to the Glock 19, but carries 12+1. CDNN has those for $340, but with 1 mag.

TN.Frank
02-12-2012, 13:09
I am looking to spend about $500 and i feel as 10 rounds is fine for me, as i never needed my 6 rounds.

You said it all right there pard, you never needed the 6 you had so stick with the 64 or pick up a 642 for CCW/EDC and use the extra money for more ammo, speedloaders, grips, holsters or whatever else you need. I've been a revolver guy most all of my life but got caught up by the semi-auto bug there for a few years. Just now getting back to my roots by going revolver again. If you must spend the money on a semi then check out Summit Gun Brokers and see what Mark has in stock. He had some CPO Sig 2340's for around $345, of course you'll have your FFL fees to add to that but still, for a Sig that's an awesome deal. He also gets a few other good semis in stock from time to time, just need to keep an eye on his web site. Bud's Gun Shop is another good place to look for something and they even have a used gun section where you might find a pretty good deal. Good luck with your search and keep us posted as to what you get. :cool:

Shadyscott69
02-12-2012, 13:21

I agree. I think the Kahr's have the closest to revolver feeling trigger.

unit 900
02-12-2012, 13:58
As much as I like my Glock 19, if your preferred carry location is appendix (right front) you may find it too thick for comfort. The mentioned Kahrs are a good bet, but I don't own one and have fired but not carried them. A S&W 3913 or 3953 (DAO) are single stacks that may fit your needs. A full size S&W like the 5903 or 5903 will be very difficult to carry appendix mode.

SLO1911Fan
02-12-2012, 14:21
I'm surprised nobody has suggested the CZ yet.

The P01 in 9mm appears to fit your needs nicely. It would be a little thick to appendix carry, but it has a nice grip, good ergonomics, da/sa with a decocker, and it holds 15 rounds of 9mm, or 11 of .40.

collim1
02-12-2012, 14:27
Another vote for the p239.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Wyoming
02-12-2012, 15:26
I am a retired Chicago police officer. I have always carried wheel guns for 34 years. Right now i carry a S/W mod#64 2" barrel six shot 38 spl+P. I would like to switch over to a semi auto in 9mm for carry. I would like a full sized grip so i can shoot with all 4 fingers and not get bit by the slide while firing. In 34 yrs i have never needed to have to display my mod# 64 here in Chicago off duty or retired. So i hope and pray i won't need it in the future. I am looking to spend about $500 and i feel as 10 rounds is fine for me, as i never needed my 6 rounds. I like the idea of DA/SA with a decocker, i think that would me me feel the must confident to carry with a round in the chamber. But i am very open to other options of different types of semi autos. I carry inside the pants, in front of me on right side i am right handed. Please help this old law dog make some choices as to what is should look at at a gun store. I have arthritis in my hands so recoil is also a factor thats why i am looking at 9MM. The Sig SP2022 has caught my eye. I have fired XD's and am not crazy about the striker fired semi autos. Buy i can read and learn about DAO and DAK. I did learn and qualify with a colt 45 acp when i was on the job. Please point me in the right direction as to what to rent at the gun shop.

Congratulation on your retirement. Since your are comfortable with double action revolvers you might want to rent a Kahr P9. It has the full grip you want, weight is 16 oz and is very flat. I carry one mostly in a Bladetec paddle. Carry very well, easy on and off. Here in Wyoming it easy to wear genes, wide belt and over shirt. I do have a some IWB holsters for the two hot months we may have.

The P9 is a little over your price range stated but you should check it out. If you only buy once well you save money. I bought one when they first came out and over the years it has worked it's way for one of my favorite carry guns. I have a safe full of S&W J frames, wonder 9's and 45 autos.

A few years ago I bought the Kahr PM9, the smaller version of the P9 but still use the P9 more. It is not the much bigger but way easier to shoot accurately because of the full grip.

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N
02-12-2012, 16:26
Based on what you've said about preferring a DA/SA gun with a decocker and how you felt comfortable with a P220, a Sig would be great for you, maybe a P226, P229 or P239 depending on the size of the gun you're looking for. You could pick up a nice one trade in or CPO Sig from Summit for around your budget

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/USED_SIGS.html

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Sig_CPOs.html

If what you're looking for isn't on the site just give Mark a call and he should be able to tell you what he's expecting in stock soon

fowler
02-12-2012, 16:32
The Sig 2022 is a fine 9mm in full size or compact to carry. I like it better than the G19 Glock and think its a better pistol. Its a fine pistol the Sig2022 and priced nice to for a Hi-Q well made accurate reliable auto in 9mm.

Berto
02-12-2012, 18:04
A sig or 3rd gen S&W (like the 3913 or 5906) would make good sense, so would supplementing a 5 shot snubby to the mod 64 for carry should you stick to revolver.

B-One
02-12-2012, 19:20
Being bored and wanting a new toy is a good enough excuse for me. I haven't seen a junk gun suggested yet. Whatever you decide, don't over think things. I will reiterate, try a bunch and settle on the one that feels best.

Don't let that kid of yours browbeat you into an auto if you like the revolver. Take him to the range and show him you can still give him a run for the money with the 64. Give Berto's suggestion a thought. I see a lot of merit in two revolvers or a lightweight revolver to backup an auto.

TN.Frank
02-12-2012, 20:47
I really think a 642 would be a good option for you. It'd give you a compact, light weight CCW/EDC gun that's the same caliber as you've already got so you'll be use to shooting and (if you're into it) handloading for it. Stick with what's been working for ya'. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

pat701
02-13-2012, 07:40
Doing some research the FN FNP-9 has also caught me eye. It is very simalar to the SIG SP2022.

pat701
02-13-2012, 07:49
The FN FNP9 pistol caught my eye, it is simalar to the SIG SP2022. Alloy or Polymer dosn't matter to me. I would guess Polymer would be lighter. If i am going to do it i want to do it once and do it right. I just would like low recoil and to have my whole hand around the grip. I have no problem with extended mags to get my whole hand on the grip.

Bob Hafler
02-13-2012, 08:09
I'm surprised nobody has suggested the CZ yet.

The P01 in 9mm appears to fit your needs nicely. It would be a little thick to appendix carry, but it has a nice grip, good ergonomics, da/sa with a decocker, and it holds 15 rounds of 9mm, or 11 of .40.

+1 the CZ PO-1 would definately be my choice.

pat701
02-13-2012, 15:47
I found this with alot of help from people right here on this forum. I just found this on the CZ P-01 a great evaluation. I don't know if his CZ P-01 is one in a million or what. Sounds to good to be true. Add this one to my list.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/12266-range-report-cz-p01-9mm-compact-ongoing.html

Jhawk412
02-23-2012, 20:30
Congrats on retirement. I just retired last year after 29 years and 5 months on the job. I have carried revolvers since retirement but frankly feel the need for higher capacity the autos offer. I carried Glocks on duty but the trigger is terrible although the guns were extremely reliable. I have settled on S&W M&P9c compact with a Crimson Trace laser grip and night sights. Everything you need and nothing you don't. I carry it appendix right front all the time in my outstanding Crossbreed Supertuck. I did just order a S&W 5906 from CDNN and I'm thinking hard about getting a 6906 as well. The heavier guns are so much easier on recoil than the lighter guns. Good luck.

Jameson4all
02-24-2012, 12:17
Hello there, and thank you for the years of service. I would recommend a sig of some sort, they weigh a little more but that weight helps when firing. Try out a Sig P239 in any caliber or a P229. The 239 is just a tad smaller and a little more thin. The 239 holds 8 rds and the 229's can hold up to 13-15 I think depending on which grip style you get. Hope this helps.

MajorD
02-24-2012, 13:22
if you are good with the wheel gun I'd say it ain't broke don't fix it. if you are really lloking to switch to an auto the glock 26 is a good chocie although it will have a short grip- easy to adapt to IMO. or you can go glock 19

KarlThomas
02-24-2012, 13:29
I think you pretty much described a PX4 storm in the OP.

- The rotating barrel supposedly absorbs a good amount of the recoil, so it should be easy on your hands.
- You can get them in a number of configurations, one of them being DA/SA with a decocker.
- They come in different sizes, so you can have your full sized grip.
- The price is right at what you're looking to spend.

diamondd2
02-24-2012, 14:01
Glock 19 or Beretta PX4 Compact.

Can't go wrong with either. Just got to decide striker fired or hammer fired DA/SA. I own both and cant decide which one I like better.

I can't bring myself to spend a premium on Sigs or HK's that do nothing better, but that is just me.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Jhawk412
02-24-2012, 15:48
FYI, I just ordered a Smith & Wesson 5906 from CDNN Investments. It's a used police trade in 9mm. I opted to pay a little more for a "select" pistol. Got it today. It is in great shape. We used to have these issued and carried them with the "safety" off, using it simply as a decocker. I love this gun and I'm going to make it my carry gun. It's heavier than the M&P9c but I like the weight when I'm shooting it for recoil control. Plus, it was way under $400 including shipping. If you get the regular one, it's about $325. Not bad at all for an all steel pistol of great reliability.
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

Download the catalogue and check out page 29.

jrs93accord
02-24-2012, 16:08
The SIG SP2022 9mm is a good choice and the price is excellent right now. In most places, just below $400.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/DSC00834.jpg

The Glock 19 with the Pearce Grip Extension is another fine choice.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea2011/001-2.jpg
(Glock 19 is in the first column in the middle.)

The SIG P229 9mm is another good choice. For around $500, you can find a nice used one.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/DSC00836.jpg

spec357
02-24-2012, 18:38
I also vote for the CZ P01. Nice pistol, I want one.

stevemc
02-25-2012, 08:22
Pat,

Thanks for your service here in Chi town. If you've never been there, Midwest Sports has a program that lets you try as many different guns that you want in the rental case. Very helpful and knowledgeable too. Also, G.A.T guns is having an open house this weekend. They are out on Rt.25 just north of 90. All the big vendors are there. You just have to buy the ammo, and you can try any one of them.

Steve.

EL COLONEL
02-25-2012, 10:29
Get the sig sp 2022 , great pistol at a good price ....:cool:

pat701
02-26-2012, 08:07
I bought the SIG P239 in 9MM yesterday. Paid $665.79 out door to my FFL. Dealer must order it from SIG 2 week wait.

Jhawk412
02-27-2012, 20:25
That's a great choice. It's easy to shoot, carries the potent 9mm, and is reliable. It also has a Crimson-trace grip available for when your eyes go. Enjoy it.