Seecamp .380 or Kahr PM9? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Seecamp .380 or Kahr PM9?

ajgranda
02-12-2012, 11:58
Hi,

OK, I know these are not exactly comparing apples to apples, but for some reason I still find myself torn between these two. This will be a BUG/deep concealment/pocket gun. I know the Kahr would be the better defensive gun 9mm vs 380 and will handle recoil/shoot better, even with the 9mm. I just find myself enamored with the Seecamp. It's such a beautiful gun and would be the better choice for pocket and deep concealment and even carry to the beach/pool. Price for the Seecamp is about 770 shipped which is about the same as the Kahr PM9 SS slide with XS Big Dot sights from the factory. I wish I could buy both, but I can't. My heart is saying Seecamp, but my brain is saying Kahr. I don't plan on shooting the hell out of either one. I have others for that. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks

Metal Angel
02-12-2012, 12:32
These two guns are so different... Decide what you want it for and the decision will be made. If you want something small in a holster, then 9mm is the clear choice, but if you want something in your pocket, the PM9 just won't work as well, so the 380 is the clear choice.

DANDYKILL47
02-12-2012, 12:44
First off, a G26 is the smallest gun I own, and I have no experience at all with the seacamp. However, I just shot a PM9 yesterday, and I was VERY impressed! Very accurate, totally reliable, more comfortable to shoot than expected for such a small gun! I will be getting one! Oh, and I pocket carry my 26 sometimes, so I find the Kahr easily pocketable!

PantherFan
02-12-2012, 12:52
I have been carrying a DimondBack 9mm in my right front pocket for close to a month now and really love it. Smaller than the Karr and 7 shots of 9mm in it for $400.

RYT 2BER
02-12-2012, 12:55
Neither

Kahala
02-12-2012, 12:59
If you want a pocket carry and BUG I would go smaller than a PM9 I am average height and wear baggy pants and it still prints.

I got a PM9 used for 450 and sold the holster I got with it. It had some wear but polished up (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1395868)(link to polish thread) real nice! Dont spend 700 on a pm9 get a cm9 for 399 from gt distributors, you have to call to see if they are in stock because they don't list them on the website.

halfmoonclip
02-12-2012, 13:00
The Seecamp has always interested me as being beautifully made, but I've had reservations about its blowback operation.
With any blowback handgun, the slide operates at a very high speed, and this can compromise function. The Walther PPK is a finicky eater, and much of the blame lies in slide speed.
I previously owned the North American equivalent in .32 ACP, and tho' it was reliable, it was heavy compared to the half-polymer guns, and rappy to shoot.
Got to believe the .380 Seecamp iteration would be even worse.
I realize that the Seecamp has the ringed chamber to slow down slide function, but I'd still like some assurance that the darn thing actually works 100% before I spent $800 on it.
Don't guess I can talk you into an LCP? They're kinda the Kalashnikov of pocket pistols...and they work.
Moon

4 glocks
02-12-2012, 15:16
I think both guns you listed are overpriced for what they are.
For less money than either one you could get a Ruger LCP $300 and a LC9 $350 and have both for $650. That's what I would do, it's your money.
I got a LCP and have been very impressed with it for the money.
The LC9 has been out about a year now and gets good reviews.

DoubleWide
02-12-2012, 15:38
PM9 - I'm not a fan of the .380 in general. My friend likes like PM9 a lot.

GlockFish
02-13-2012, 01:39
Neither

Yeah, man. Get a Desert Eagle. Anything else is for wussies.

:upeyes:

Just kidding. I'd get the Kahr PM9. As a matter of fact, I will be getting an all black one in couple weeks.

NEOH212
02-13-2012, 01:49
I'd go with the Kahr.

ajgranda
02-13-2012, 05:57
I have been carrying a DimondBack 9mm in my right front pocket for close to a month now and really love it. Smaller than the Karr and 7 shots of 9mm in it for $400.

Thanks, but how much have you shot it. Some real horror stories on DBs. I'd rather look at strong established mgr like Ruger, but not crazy about their quality and feel either.

ajgranda
02-13-2012, 05:58
PM9 - I'm not a fan of the .380 in general. My friend likes like PM9 a lot.
I think the P380 is the perfect sized pocket gun. Not too small and still shootable in comfort. It's reliability is a different matter.

ajgranda
02-13-2012, 06:04
Thanks guys, no question that the Kahr is the most practical overall, but that little Seecamp, for those that have held one is one beautiful piece of workmanship. I can see there prices going down, as they have, with the huge influx of recent .380 mouseguns. None can match the workmanship though. I need to find a PM9 and see how well it can fit in slacks, jeans and shorts. All loose fitting.

Officer's Match
02-13-2012, 06:31
No Seecamp experience here, but I can tell you my PM9 has been fantastic.

Bilbo Bagins
02-13-2012, 08:44
Wow, a Seecamp??? 2002 is calling...it wants its mousegun back. :rofl:

In the 90's I was actually on the list to get a .32 seecamp back when I was in LE, after 6 months of waiting, I changed my mind and got my deposit back, and bought a Beretta Bobcat. Seecamp were wicked expensive and people waited for over a year to get one.

So much has changed between then and now. Do you really want an expensive pocket gun with no sights, very stiff recoil, a euro mag release, and that needs regular recoil spring changeouts to stay reliable.

Its 2012, and if you want to go with a .380 I would look at other options first.

RetailNinjitsu
02-13-2012, 08:55
The Seecamp is a beautiful gun. If you are looking for something to show off...dont mind babying a gun...and enjoy tinkering.

My PM9 has been flawless. It is over priced, but great for what it is.

However, my pre-recall $299 Ruger LCP is still my favorite pocket gun. The size, weight, price and performance is hard to beat. I beat the **** out of it and have not had any problems. It is a perfect 24/7 gun.

Of the two you mentioned...the Seecamp would be my choice. Your grandchildren will thank you.

halfmoonclip
02-13-2012, 09:46
Thanks, but how much have you shot it. Some real horror stories on DBs. I'd rather look at strong established mgr like Ruger, but not crazy about their quality and feel either.

There's an extensive thread on DB's elsewhere; they have a few defenders and many detractors. I have fired two of them, and could not get thru' a full magazine in either one. Nice concept, but not fully worked out.

The LCP's aren't a work of art, but they do work, and the light weight and small size makes pocket carry an easy deal.

Save the big bucks for your safe queens; the treatment that carry guns get is as bad as sending your sister off to a bordello...:supergrin:
Moon

deguelo
02-13-2012, 17:56
aj-- i own both of your proposed options. i carry one or the other often as circumstances dictate.

the pm9 has been very reliable, contrary to the experience of others who post herein, and is quite easy to shoot for it's size/caliber combination. it pocket carries fairly well in all but the most limited trousers or shorts. good trigger, very accurate.

the seecamp represents a higher order of concealability.... it can be toted anywhere, anyhow. it is exquisitely built, and mine has been absolutely reliable. it is no doubt my least favorite gun to shoot..... a real pisser. it's accurate, but with the absence of sights, i never practice w/ it beyond 10 yaards.

a more reasonable comparison would be between the seecamp and the kahr p380, in terms of size and caliber.

if you need maximum concealability, and price is not an object, go with the seecamp. you may also experience considerable pride in ownership......

otherwise, a p380, or similar subcompact 380, would be a better choice.

hope this helps. regards-- deguelo

RYT 2BER
02-13-2012, 18:31
Yeah, man. Get a Desert Eagle. Anything else is for wussies.

:upeyes:

Probably not bad advice, but the op might find it a tad bit heavy for pocket carry...

Jdog
02-13-2012, 18:48
...Price for the Seecamp is about 770 shipped which is about the same as the Kahr PM9 SS slide with XS Big Dot sights from the factory.

I can testify to you that the XS big dot sights on that gun make a world of difference !!!
(I have them mounted on my PM9) make sure the factory does it.

josp
02-16-2012, 19:09
I have the P380 and PM9. Cary the P380 more cause its easier when running out. Carry the P45 when I want more. Actually considering selling the PM9, though it's been my go to gun for years, till I got the P380.
Shot a Seecamp, and concur with the pain involved in that.